╌>

Canada: Syrian Muslim beat wife with hockey stick for 30 minutes, starred in refugee documentary

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  7 years ago  •  11 comments

Canada: Syrian Muslim beat wife with hockey stick for 30 minutes, starred in refugee documentary

June 12, 2017

Source: The Daily Gleaner – Man Who Beat Wife Said He Didn’t Know It Was Against Law   h/t Jihad Watch who notes, Mohamad was following Qur’an 4:34 .

A Fredericton man who beat his wife with a hockey stick for half an hour told a court on May 24 that he didn’t know it was against the law in Canada.

Mohamad Rafia , 54, of Winter Street, a Syrian refugee who arrived in Canada about 14 months ago, pleaded guilty to counts of assault causing bodily harm and uttering threats on May 26.

On Thursday, he was sentenced to time served and a year of probation.

The court heard Rafia beat his wife, Raghda Aldndal, on May 18 and threatened to kill her if she ever left him. Rafia also pulled her hair and slapped her face during the assault , Crown prosecutor Claude Hache said Thursday.

The assault came to light, court was told on Thursday, when a family friend took Aldndal to the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital, where she initially told medical staff she’d hurt herself falling in the bathtub.

The couple had been arguing about money, Hache said, and that there was apparent bruising on the victim.

Rafia had been in custody since May 19.

“He says he’s committed a mistake and he’s going to rectify it,” interpreter Abdelhaq Hamza said for Rafia during a May 24 bail hearing.

“He’s saying that he was not aware of the law and he was coming from a background where the laws are completely different.”

Through the interpreter, Rafia said officials didn’t inform him of the differences in the laws in Canada and that more should have been done to educate him.

“Why didn’t they explain the law when we first came?” Rafia said.

A police brief entered as evidence in the bail hearing indicated Rafia was well aware Canadian and Syrian domestic violence laws were the same here.

“Aldndal stated that being assaulted by her spouse is culturally accepted from the country they are from,” the Fredericton police brief stated. “However, the laws [in Syria] do not permit it, and if the aggressor is caught, they will go to jail.”

Lisa Bamford De Gante, executive director of the Multicultural Association of Fredericton, said she could not speak about individual cases, but told The Daily Gleaner that domestic violence is against the law in Syria, and that refugees arriving in Canada go through federal information sessions, which include educating newcomers about Canadian law.

Upon arriving in Fredericton, Bamford De Gante said, there’s an abundance of material and educational sessions presented to refugees. Privately sponsored refugees are presented with the same materials and resources, she said.

A user on  gamefaqs.com recalled that Mohamad Rafia starred in a Dateline documentary about Syrian refugees in Canada titled, “ Canada’s Open House .”

The same user pointed out the outright lie in the Daily Gleaner article, via (ironically) United Nations Population Fund – Reporting on Gender-Based Violence in the Syria Crisis – A JOURNALIST’S HANDBOOK :

…in Syria, Egypt, Lebanon, and Jordan, the penalties for physical violence are determined in accordance with the number of days of hospitalisation faced by the victim. In Jordan, for example, if the victim requires less than 10 days of hospitalization, the judge has the authority to dismiss the case at his own discretion as a ‘minor offence.’ Mandatory prosecution is only required when the survivor is hospitalised for more than 20 days.

Jordan, Egypt, Syria, and Iraq have legislative provisions providing reduced sentences for a man who kills his wife if she is caught in the act of adultery, or who kills a female relative for ‘illicit’ sexual conduct – so-called ‘honour crimes.’

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick    7 years ago

Poor woman, stuck with a man who beat her, got off with time served and told her he would kill her if she left him.  What a terrible life to have to live.  I would venture to say we haven't heard the last of this man and his poor wife.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

It's a failed culture if that type of behavior is so normalized that he cannot even express remorse. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Coulda been worse. If they found refuge in America, he'd have beaten her with a baseball bat instead...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

Good point. Unfortunately, if we outlaw bats, only outlaws will have bats.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Pitiful~

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Don't you support multiculturalism? /s

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Even in hockey, if you intentionally hit an opponent in the face with a hockey stick, it is an offence.  The man may not have known the rules of hockey but he sure as hell knew that beating his wife was illegal in Canada. However, he did not know he couldn't rely on Takiyyah (permittied lying) to get himself off.  Personally, I think that he now considers that his honour has been damaged by his wife, and will probably kill her (according to HIS religious law, of course).

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

That's a small price to pay to avoid the appearance of "islamaphobia"...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I watch a LOT of movies, sometimes two a day, and today I watched Jacob's Ladder. What troubles me is that I feel I'm watching the world, the whole world, falling into the insanity that Tim Robbins' character was experiencing in that movie. On another article, the one about the Shakespeare play in Central Park, I used the word "decent" when tryng to indicate how people should be - and I was told the word was defunct, no such word is used any more.  Well, what I'm seeing is that not only has the word died, but so has its meaning.