╌>

Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor megafight finalized for Aug. 26

Category:  Sports

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  11 comments

Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor megafight finalized for Aug. 26

What began as talk for a fight many perceived as impossible between a boxing legend and the biggest star in mixed martial arts is now a reality.

Former pound-for-pound king and five-division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. made the official announcement on social media on Wednesday, confirming that he will exit a 23-month retirement at age 40 to face  Conor McGregor , the UFC superstar, in a boxing match on Aug. 26 in Las Vegas.

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    7 years ago

UFC president Dana White, appearing on SportsCenter, said the fight would be at the boxing junior middleweight weight limit of 154 pounds, the fighters would use 10-ounce gloves and the card would take place at T-Mobile Arena.

The fight will be broadcast on Showtime PPV.

"We've been in negotiations for a while," White told SportsCenter. "Negotiations went smooth. Floyd is surrounded by some smart people, and we got this thing done. The impossible deal is now done."

Moments before Mayweather's announcement, McGregor sent out a simple four-word statement on Twitter, with a picture of Floyd Mayweather Sr., instead of Mayweather Jr.

White followed the announcement with an emoji.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Mayweather fights 10 or 12 three minute rounds...Conor 3 or 5 five minute rounds...Mayweather is used to fighting for 30 to 36 minutes...Coner is not, a hell of a big difference. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

That is not a photo of Floyd, it's his father.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

OH I WILL BE WATCHING THIS ONE!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I know I am not supposed to like boxing.. but I do. This should be a great fight. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

My understanding is Mayweather will be a heavy favorite based on the perception that boxers are more fluid and powerful punchers than MMA.

It will be interesting to see if at some point of panic or frustration McGregor tries to kick Mayweather as a reflex action.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

I've watched both fighters. If this were an MMA fight, Conor would destroy Floyd but this is a boxing match. Conor has powerful punches and can take a shot so he can probably go toe to toe with Floyd (or anybody else) for one or two rounds. I think Conor's best chance is to end the fight early with brute force . . . walk through Floyd's defense and pound him into submission. But, if the fight goes past three rounds, then Conor's going to really see what world class boxing is all about when Floyd picks him to pieces. Conor sticks his chin out and drops his guard because he's used to setting up kicks. If he pulls stunts like that against Floyd, then It's lights out. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Well, it should be an interesting match up......when you limit the all out fighter to two arms/fists he might be at a distinct disadvantage.....

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Mayweather is gonna clock him. It doesn't matter how much Connor attempts to bull or rush him, he is no match in either speed or precision. He won't make it out of three rounds.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

If Connor is used to constant movement of that ring, I wonder if he's fast enough to stay away long enough to tire Mayweather out?  He's not a youngster by boxing standards.  Either way, looks like fun to watch.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

It would be interesting to learn more about Connor's training and strategy preparing for this fight, but so far his responses have been braggadocios rather than informative. That's his style. He's younger, he is a beast, and he has cajones,,,but this is a tall order. Something else that also makes a difference is the ring itself is not an octagon; there are only half as many corners, and that does cut down escape routes. Ya know the ol' sayin' "you can run but you can't hide"...