╌>

Phishing! Meta Warning! POSSIBLE MALWARE ALERT!

Category:  meta

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

Phishing! Meta Warning! POSSIBLE MALWARE ALERT!

I wish we had the old spot on the front page to alert people like when we could talk about the weather and such and warn each other about crap, but I just wanted to warn every one that I got phished today from someone going by the name of Eillen Labrador and to watch out for her attachment. I did not open it but it says it is an invoice for a purchase. In my case it says it is an invoice (in the body of the email it has an invoice number) for an online purchase from some place called Kalastar.ca and the invoice amount is for $4,144,54 (like I could afford to buy something for that much online!). Now I know I never made any purchases for that amount, however it is just the right amount to piss me off enough to open the attached invoice to see what it is for and that would, I am sure, have loaded some malware on my system. So please just be aware that this is out there and do not get angry about any phony invoices and open then attachments to see what they are trying to charge you for because I can promise you that you will be very sorry if you do. Calm down if you know you did not order anything and just delete the damned thing.

A word to the wise.

Randy

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Watch out for this!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Thanks for the warning.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

I just wanted update that my wife got one of these today too. It was for a different amount, but otherwise just the same. I don't know if it was Kalstar.ca because my wife always just deletes any email from anyone she does not know and was aware since I had warned her about it being out there. I don't know if she got it because she is one my email list, but it is more then likely from the email list of someone we both know. Either way I would not suggest opening the "invoice" attachment.

Keep and eye out.

Randy

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Thanks Randy.  Be sure to watch your bank account too, just in case it's a legitimate invoice (or even if it's not) and somebody hacked your bank card numbers.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

First thing I did was to call my bank (BofA) fraud unit to monitor my account for any odd charges. I am on Social Security and usually just use my account to receive my monthly money and transfer it to my wife's account to pay bills, so it's pretty easy to see if there is anything funny, except when I go on vacation (and my wife let's me have some fun money Laugh ) and I always let them know.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Thanks

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    7 years ago

Thank you, Randy!   

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  KatPen   7 years ago

My pleasure!