╌>

Dynasty Capital Luoyang - a photo retrospective

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  46 comments

Luoyang is a city that was about 3 or 4 hours drive from Zhengzhou, where I was living.  Realizing that China has more than 5000 years of civilization, history has provided it with a number of dynasty capitals, and Luoyang was an important one. It has been more than a few years since I visited it, but I was there at least 3 times. As with some of the other photo retrospectives I've been posting, you may aleady have seen at least some of these photos already. However I have re-edited them, and they are a little clearer than before.

There are five sections to this retrospective: The Peony Festival, King Park, The White Horse Temple, The Geological Park, and the Longmen Grottoes.

1.   What I discovered here is that it can be more important as to whom you know than what you know.  The first thing to do is make friends with people of some importance.  This man was the Deputy Police Chief of the City of Luoyang.  I met him at a school graduation.  He wanted me to call him if I came to Luoyang so he could take me out to dinner.  I never did call him, but if I had ever got into trouble there I think I could have been able to get away with it.

Luoyang 25.jpg

2.   Luoyang is the location for the Chinese National Peony Festival.  The Peony is the national flower of China so it is an important festival held in the spring when the flowers blossom. Peonies used to grow in my grandmother's garden, and when I was young I was fascinated watching the ants crawling up and down the Peony stalks.  This is a typical Peony which I photographed when I visited the main Festival park.

Luoyang 2.jpg

3.   A pagoda type of building in the Festival park.

Luoyang 3.jpg

4.   The vivid rosy red colour of this flower attracted me.

Luoyang 23.jpg

5.   For a permanent souvenir, artificial Peonies.

Luoyang 1.jpg

6.   King Park is the main park in Luoyang. It has a zoo that disgusted me.  The most beautiful huge tiger was in a cage that was about 20' x 30', with a hut at the far end.  The tiger just kept walking around and around in his prison. If you think THAT was bad, the elephant had one foot tied to a post with a chain about 20' long.  In Chongqing, where I'm now living, at least the zoo is a habitat one, similar but smaller to the magnificent Toronto zoo.

Luoyang 22.jpg

7.   The park has a small lake, down below, with rental boats.

Luoyang 14.jpg

8.   Probably the most important site in Luoyang itself is the White Horse Temple. 2 Indian Monks on white horses brought the teachings of Buddhism to China, Luoyang being their destination. The Emperor who was in Luoyang at that time was pleased with what the monks had brought and granted them some land and built their first temple there.  Although this ceramic horse, which stands about 3 feet high is not white, it is located at the temple.

Luoyang 21.jpg

9.   In the past I posted a more comprehensive photo-essay about the White Horse Temple, so this time I will focus on the monks in residence, and then the Temple gifted to China by India. First, this monk plays the drum (not in a rock and roll band).

Luoyang 10.jpg

10.   I'm not entirely sure what this group of monks were doing.

Luoyang 9.jpg

11.   I consider this one of the best photos I have ever taken - it certainly is one of my absolute favourites.  This monk is obviously taking a break to meditate.  I would entitle this photo: "Primary Colours".

Luoyang 4.jpg

12.   This is the Temple located on the White Horse Temple grounds that India gifted to China.

Luoyang 171.jpg

13.   My wife and I are posing before the Buddha located in the centre of that temple.

Luoyang 6.jpg

14.   Near Luoyang is a fascinating Geological Park.  This is on the way in, past a waterfall.

Luoyang 12.jpg

15.  And walk along an active stream between two rock walls.

Luoyang 20.jpg

16.   One of my students is leading me along the rock wall on my first trip there.

Luoyang 13.jpg

17.   The next time I went I took my whole class. This was one of the best classes I ever taught.

Luoyang 17.jpg

18.    Finally, the 'piece de resistance' , the Longmen Grottoes.  Famous in China, there are Buddha statues in most of the caves, and there are also the massive ones, but first, on the way in, you pass this - my favourite house in China, running water, roof garden, automatic flushing toilet, who could ask for anything more?

Luoyang 16.jpg

19.  Many caves, most with Buddha statues inside. 

Luoyang 8.jpg

20.   Across the river, a Monestary - with all those Buddhas, there was bound to be one.

Luoyang 141.jpg

21.   Finally, some of the giant Buddhas carved out of the existing rock.  Very big, but not as big as the Giant Buddha of Loshan, but I've already posted an article showing that one.

Luoyang 7.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Hope you have time to see this between bouts of July 4th revelry.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

What a great photo essay Buzz. Simply delightful. 

I think that most westerner's really have no idea of the beauty of China, nor the civilization that predates most everything on earth. 

One of these days I'll have to tell you about one of my first trips to China, 1983...It was quite the experience.

Keep the photo essay's coming, they are interesting and delightful.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Congratulations, Buzz,

Among all of your unique, excellent photo essays … THIS MAY BE YOUR VERY BEST TO DATE!

The Peony is painterly and exquisite!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Come on people … THIS PHOTO ESSAY DESERVES YOUR ATTENTION AND ADMIRATION … it's a must see.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

DITTO

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Never mind trying to help, my friends, the essay has nothing to do with American Politics, and doesn't insult anyone, so it will soon wither and die as all my others do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago
(deleted)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago
(deleted)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago
(deleted)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago
(deleted)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago
(deleted)

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, as always, you did a marvelous job capturing  beauty. These pic's of China are beyond beautiful.  Thanks for sharing your talent and such beauty.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nona62   7 years ago

Thanks Nona. I guess I made a mistake in posting it on a holiday weekend. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

If you're going to delete all the comments related to Buzz's complaint then the complaint should have been deleted too.  Come on!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

If you're going to delete all the comments related to Buzz's complaint then the complaint should have been deleted too.  Come on!

There were some very nice compliments that followed the complaint, as well as an admission by Buzz that perhaps he made his initial comment a bit too precipitously.  The entire exchange exhibited some positive behavior that is very much needed.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

I have been heavily criticized for remarks that I have made about what kind of comments there are on the forum. Buzz makes these sorts of complaints more regularly than anyone here. If responses to his comments are deleted than the original complaint should be removed too. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John,

The complaint was a response to my plea for more participation … I will check to make sure that's the case and may well delete it either way.

My comment …

Come on people … THIS PHOTO ESSAY DESERVES YOUR ATTENTION AND ADMIRATION … it's a must see.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I made the first reply to Buzz, so I know what I said. My point is why wasn't his complaint removed when the responses to it were removed? 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

So, which comment do you want removed, John?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Never mind. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I just woke up to see this dialogue about my complaint.  The original statement I made was a statement of fact. Most of the articles I post gather little interest, and soon "wither and die" (I credit "On Top of Old Smokey" for that phrase).  I acknowledged in that comment that American politics is, as John has rightfully pointed out to me, of much more interest to the vast majority of members than anything that I post. Some of the articles I post get little more than my introductory comment. (Kavika should be congratulated for posting a few sunset photos and getting more than 250 comments - he has set a record for a photo essay.)  I rethought my petulant complaint that followed the original factual one, and realized too late that I should not have posted it. A.Mac volunteered to delete it and I suggested that the whole thread following it should also be deleted, which he did at my request.  This photo-essay has since raised enough interest for me to want to continue posting them, and I thank Sister-Mary for understanding what was done and said.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Beautiful! 

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    7 years ago

Very nice Buzz.  I always like the use of color that you find in China.  Most Western art, particularly architecture, is much more subdued with respect to vivid coloration, although I have seen a few that are on that level, particularly the buildings making up the Kremlin compound.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: Super photos.

Thanks.

Enoch.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

FYI: I deleted several related comments as they were simply based upon a misunderstanding; no CoC or any other improprieties involved.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Buzz, I'm planning on writing a book, ''A Ojibwe in China'' the grand adventure. LOL

Actually it was a grand adventure in 1983...Kavika with  his metal chopsticks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kavika, I look forward to seeing China through YOUR eyes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Thanks, A.Mac

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Great pics!  Sorry I've been in the mountains for the last 4 days and paying, little, well actually no, attention to NT.  BTW, for your Canadian self-happy Canada's 15oth birthday! (though belated as it is).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I was a lot happier being a Canadian when Harper was Prime Minister than I am now, but thanks anyway.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

So are a lot of folks that I talk/spend time with north of the border.  They are especially incensed over his 'pay to play' methodology and accepting being courted by the rich (something he seemed to eschew prior to the elections).

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    7 years ago

Excellent photo essay, Buzz. ) Thank you for sharing a piece of the world you live in. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

And I thank you, Neetu2, for making this site more beautiful when you post your poetry here from time to time.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Ah, are you nudging me to post something, Buzz??;) I know I haven't done so in a long time. In fact, I have not written anything new in almost a month because I have no time to. It is disappointing even to me. When I don't write, I get all cluttered in my head! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Neetu2   7 years ago

You can't fool me. I know you posted something recently on Linkedin.  LOL  Post it on the Collaborative forum and see if we can match it to an image.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

Oh my, you always catch me, Buzz! I will gladly post it. Let me see if I can find my way to the collaborative forum...

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2  replied to  Neetu2   7 years ago

There, Buzz, I just posted the poem without an image.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Neetu2   7 years ago

I, and a couple of others have already posted photos there for you to consider. However, I'm sure A.Mac could come up with one that would be a most relevant and suitable match.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

Thank you, Buzz. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

You are correct Buzz, but do not fret.  This is the first time I've seen this.  Those are great photos.  The statues of the Buddhas in Taiwan were much more plump.

I've looked at the monks you are not sure what they are doing, although one of them looks to be in a sparring position and focusing on someone or something to the left of the photo to me.  The granite surrounding him takes away this thought somewhat as any mishap could cause a terrible headache or worse since perfection in falling is questionable.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Hi Buzz,

I somehow missed this. What an amazing photo essay. You get such a feeling for what life is like in China. There are so many colors in China compared to NY, it feels like technicolor.

Great Job! 

katlin02
Freshman Silent
link   katlin02    7 years ago

buzz-  as i am new, i am looking at these past photo's, i may not have left a comment on all of them but i think they are great..very interesting. thank you for posting them.