╌>

The Adirondacks this Summer

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  spikegary  •  7 years ago  •  86 comments

The Adirondacks this Summer

Got to spend another long weekend with my parents and some friends at our family lake house in the Adirondacks and thought it would be nice to share some of the views.  We had torrential rains on Saturday, causing the lake to rise 24 inches over the next day, but by Sunday it was clear and sunny for the rest of the extended weekend.  Every time I go there, it gets a little harder to leave:

0703171335b_resized.jpg

0703171335a_resized.jpg

0702171220_HDR_resized.jpg

0702171219_resized.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary    7 years ago

As the water came up, the stern of the boat was tied down on port and starboard, and it lift the doc off it's stations.  We had to dig a trench across the top of the lower driveway as the water running out of the mountain behind us was destroying the driveway (eroding it).  We cut an angle ditch across and channeled it to a drainage ditch on the property's edge.

Never seen nature quite like that.  This was the same storm that had cars floating around on the Arterial Highway in Utica.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Between your shots of the Adirondacks and Mac's pics of around PA, I am missing summer in Michigan more and more. I had forgotten how beautiful the North looks in the summer. Then again I have not forgotten what it's like to be sitting in the bottom of a snow filled ditch waiting for a tow truck either. Maybe I'll have to try to talk my wife into becoming snowbirds?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Some other pics on the way out, overlooking the Mohawk Valley.  I don't think it would be too hard to wake up to this view on a regular basis.

0704171254b_resized.jpg

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I guessing the view of the Mohawk Valley is from the north (Aderondacks)? I've seen it many times heading down (northward) to the valley on rte 28, heading to Herkimer/Mohawk/Ilion. Good memories of living "Upstate". Thanks for sharing it.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

0704171300_HDR_resized.jpg

0704171300_resized.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Great series of photo Spike. 

The lake rose 2 ft in one day, OMG that is a lot.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Truly is, went to bed Saturday night, woke up to 'flood' conditions on Sunday.  There are mountains on 3 sides of the lake, so the normal tributaries were overflowing and other tributaries established themselves. 

Glad you enjoyed the pix!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

OK, now for the serious stuff...The lake looks like a haven for smallmouth...

Kavika packing up his gear.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I assume the lake is not very large to have risen 2 feet from a rainstorm.  The photos invoked memories of my home on a lake in the Haliburton lake district of Ontario due to the similar scenery, and for that I thank you.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

The lake is not terribly large, not sure the actual acreage but 2-3 boats with skiers can operate, carefully at the same time.  The only outlet to the lake is under Highways 10/29A into Canada Lake, then down through a river/stream through Lilly Pond, then to a dam.  The dam was opened as much as they could, but too much all at once floods downstream.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Spike you didn't answer me, what about the fishing especially largemouth and smallmouth bass....Laugh

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Sorry, I've been out of town again......For the most part there are sunnies and some catfish.  Not sure about any other game fish.  That chain of lakes was used a century or so ago as a logging operation and a sawmill, story is they dumped the sawdust back into the water and it backed up through the lakes, choked off the vegetation, killing the food supply for fish.  Took a long time for the lakes to recover from man.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kavika,

Was out on Morrison Lake near our home in South Central Michigan yesterday.  Took my grandson (Greyson, the 7 year old) out fishing.  Only got a Bullhead and a too small Largemouth, but the scenery was great.

PICT0085.JPG

Part of the Shoreline (the more civilized part)

100_1389.JPG

PICT0053.JPG

These two were taken near the island shown in the pictures I put up in the Thur/Fri article a couple of weeks ago, just before light rain started (and the fish started biting).  During the night, the rain and wind got a lot heavier and didn't quit until about 2:30 this afternoon.  I have a couple more that I'm going to post tomorrow in the Thur/Fri article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Great photos TTGA...Looking forward to seeing more on the Thurs/Friday shoot em up.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I agree, great shots! I am from Southwestern lower Michigan and living here in the desert I miss all of the small lakes that are everywhere there! I read somewhere that no matter where you are in Michigan you are never more the 5 miles away from a body of water, if you include rivers and streams. The whole state floats. Keep them coming and make an old man homesick!

Oh and at least Bullhead put up a good fight.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

no matter where you are in Michigan you are never more than 5 miles away from a body of water, if you include rivers and streams.

Or my back yard, at least in the Spring.

2004HomeLake LaBerge03.jpg

By the way, this picture was taken in 2004.  Just at the right third of the shot, you can see a small Pine tree.  At the time, it was 2 years old.  My daughter brought a seedling home from school on Arbor Day in 2001 and I planted it for her.  It is now 25 feet tall.

By the way, the Bullhead didn't put up much of a fight but, for only being 8" long, the Bass fought like hell.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Were the kids able to catch tadpoles in that pond?  Doesn't every kid try to catch tadpoles?

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Were the kids able to catch tadpoles in that pond?

At the time that picture was taken (March), the kids wouldn't have gone into that water if it had money in it.  Tadpoles were all sitting around a fire behind the garage trying to avoid becoming frozen seafood.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

March?  Looks like late April or May in that photo. I guess I'm just used to Ontario winters that lasted from mid-November till mid-April, when there could be snow on the ground the whole time, and no leaves on the trees yet.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

I had a house in the country with a side yard like that, but I didn't know it at first. It was 1 acre and on a curve, so it was shaped like a pie slice. So the first spring after the snow melt here goes Randy on his brand new Gilson riding mower (they don't make them anymore). I mow most of the yard and head over to west side which looks like a perfectly good part of an average lawn to mow and about 3 feet in I am sunk and the blades jam and shut down. Spilled my beer and everything! I had a hell of a time getting it back out. That whole side of the yard was soft like that until about the middle of June every year. Of course the previous owner never told me that!

Mine was like the one above except mine was green.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

We need photos when your finished with the update on the mower...LOL, I'm looking forward to the color that you paint it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Beautiful pictures, dear Spike!  I would never want to leave...

Thanks for the picture and the video-- that's some gully washer, for sure!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Thanks Dear Dowser.  I'm trying to line things up, so when it's time to retire, I can end up there.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I hope that you can!  What a lovely place!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Don't know how I missed this first time around, but, glad Im seeing it now!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Well, you know how it is, unimportant stuff doesn't stay on the Home Page very long, but the last week or so, it seems better than the normal 'stuff' there.  Glad you were able to stop by.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

jwc … it appears you are trying to post some photos but they are not appearing.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

All right! The photos are posted!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Wonderful pictures!  Thanks for posting them!  I just love when you're busy watching the interesting things in the background and suddenly notice a giant spider in your face...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Beautiful photos Gary.  Amac lives in it and you visit it.

Every time I go there, it gets a little harder to leave:

Something tells me you will live in it as well.

Thanks for the wonderful photos!

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    7 years ago

Beautiful photos, Spikegary. Have never been to the Adirondacks but have lived in another part of Upstate NY, closer to Buffalo. Have heard a lot about their beauty, though. It is nice to see a series of photos from there.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Neetu2   7 years ago

Thank you-I live in Western New York, myself.  Where abouts did you live?

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Sorry, Spike, it took me a while to get back. I live in PA, kind of in the same region as Mac. 60 miles nw of Philadelphia.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Oh, I meant, where in Western New York did you live?  I live in the town of Royalton, Village fo Gasport.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

Oh sorry, Spike, I must have been half asleep when I posted my comment. I lived in Jamestown, NY, between Lake Erie and Allegheny National Forest. In Chautauqua county. The birthplace of Lucille Ball. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Yup, I snowmobile down there during the winter.....done some racing on Chautauqua Lake.  I just sold my camp in Cattaraugus County (no time for it anymore).

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

Well, then you know exactly where I lived, Spike! You probably know Bemus Point also. I used to live just four miles from there. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Yup, I snowmobile down there during the winter.....done some racing on Chautauqua Lake.  I just sold my camp in Cattaraugus County (no time for it anymore).

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

I haven't read thru all the comments but just want to say how great your photos are !!!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Thank you.  The Family lakehouse is part of my soul.  It's where I go to get my head back on straight.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: As you well know, Lake Ontario joined the Adirondacks a while back with flooding.

It is projected to rain every day this week.

I will be in touch about Mrs. E. and I getting out to dine with you in August.

This Wednesday I undergo the second and hopefully final eye surgery.

By August I should be good to go on driving the Enochobile out Route 31 West Way.

Chat soon.

Great photo essay.

The "Dacks" are a natural treasure.

Enoch.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Thanks, my friend!  My prayers for the 'final' eye surgery.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Do keep us updated on your surgery, please.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Good luck on the surgery, dear Enoch! Or did you have it already? I am always late.....

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Just posted a photo essay from Minden Lakes, Ontario, taken this weekend.....

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Here are some pictures from the lake last weekend that show the lake at it's normal levels.....huge difference....

20170813_114224_resized.jpg

20170813_114101_resized.jpg

20170813_120654_resized.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Wow!  That water is clear!!!  Beautiful pictures!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

It really is. My friend was surprised to see how clear it is.  Unexpected, for sure.  No heavy industry up there, just mountains.  I need to go in and remove some of the old dock supports, though they are pretty waterlogged.  The rocks you see are the base of the original dock that the original owners used.  One way to fight the ice when the lake refills in spring and pops an enormous ice cube up that gets blown around by the wind, destroying man made stuff in it's path.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Quite a difference Spike...