"Skinny" reform fails!!!

Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Fantastic!!!! A huge moment in history!! Finally the two sides will HAVE to come together for Health Care!!!

I was on the edge of my seat until McCain! Now let's return to regular order and FIX the ACA!!! Not Replace It!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

And McCain cemented his place in history even further, though that would seem to be impossible for him to do.

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant    7 years ago

Sometimes it's just the right thing to do. Getting costs under control, to the angst of one-sixth of the US economy, is more important than ever now.. Profit margins are not as important as the people they hurt.

markpup
Freshman Silent
link   markpup    7 years ago

To me the amazing part is it's McCain who sunk it. I'd say the public perception when McCain came back to the Senate was that he'd help the GOP effort to pass a bill to undercut ACA and he flipped that on its head. 

I haven't heard anything from him yet on why he did that - I'll be interested.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  markpup   7 years ago

I think he said it best in the speech he made the other day when he said he blamed the Democrats for forcing through the ACA and he said he didn't think they should do the same. He strongly objected to the process then, but much. much more so this tie since the Bills to replace were being kept secret. At least when the Democrats did it, they held hearings and heard testimony and added over 100 GOP amendments to the final ACA bill, even though no Republicans voted for it anyway.

This was a legacy vote for him. He doesn't know how much longer he will live, let alone serve as a Senator and he, I believe, just couldn't bring himself to vote on such an important issue for something that was assembled in the dark, with no real input from the public, just so a man he hates (Donald Trump) can sign something and dance a victory dance. Especially considering that Trump has no idea how health care in America even works.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  markpup   7 years ago

I'm not surprised at all. If there had already been 51 votes to repeal, McCain would have been 52.  McCain would never turn down the chance to be the center of attention and feted as a hero by the mainstream media. It's a fitting finale to a career that has long been premised on political expediency and self promotion. 

KDinAZ
Freshman Silent
link   KDinAZ  replied to  markpup   7 years ago

My guess is that when Drumpf was using his "great negotiating" skills on that phone call to McCain, he said something insulting that totally pissed McCain off. The result... McCain gave him a bigly "F___ You and the fake-gold-plated limo you rode in on!" on the voting floor.

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant    7 years ago

I commend all the protestors who refused to yield, in spite of being arrested and being manhandled out if their groups. The grass roots movements, against the majority in the US congress, prevailed. A fact, that is not lost on my children. I have always told them that protesting is more effective and empowering than the right to vote. Voting got us to this point, voting can be corrupted. Protesting lets the whole world see us in action. Protesting in other countries is more dangerous and should be supported too. They are brave souls.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Dont fix it until it falls apart.  Fund it to the absolute minimum the law allows, and reward insurance companies for not participating in the Obamacare exchanges, and cut back on Medicaid expansion support.  Once Obamacare is functionally 💀 dead, then negotiate with democrats on a replacement or return to the pre Obamacare status quo. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

''Don't fix it until it falls apart''

How very Christian of you XX...I've always heard that Christians helped their fellow man. 

Perhaps you can explain to us why you feel hurting men women and children is a Christian teaching? 

Is yours a special type of Christianity, or some new sect we are unaware of? 

You tout your Christianity and patriotism all over this site on a daily basis. But when the rubber meet the road your pretty much a failure. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Additionally it was amatuer night for the republicans. Trump threats to Senator's in his own party show how ignorant he is of how the U.S. government works. 

After Ms. Murkowski voted against beginning debate on health care, Mr. Trump  went after her on Twitter . It was not a fair fight: He has more than 34 million followers, and she has about 99,000.

Mr. Trump also directed the Interior secretary, Ryan Zinke, to call Ms. Murkowski and remind her of the Alaska issues controlled by his department.

It wasn’t a subtle move, and this time, Ms. Murkowski held the whip hand: She chairs not only the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, which has jurisdiction over Interior, but also the appropriations subcommittee that funds the department. Ms. Murkowski voted no.

I think that Zinke might be in for a bit of trouble after that ignorant call to Murkowski...You should at least know what committees have authority over your department. 

Way to go, Trump and Zinke.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

One interesting thing about this whole debacle is how it illuminates Trump's greatest failing (other than being a hopeless asshole)   -  he sold himself as someone who knew how to get things done as a great negotiator , but when the chips were down he failed completely. A person with a shred of more self-awareness than he has would be ashamed. Trump? He will double and triple down on being a jerk.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

He will double and triple down on being a jerk.

He rounded third a couple weeks ago and is sliding into home base as we speak.  It's a home run for idiocracy!

JJBella
Freshman Silent
link   JJBella  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John, one has to ask themselves, had dumpster not been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, where would he be? What career path would he have chosen? Clearly he's way out of his league here.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JJBella   7 years ago

He wasn't born president he put himself there through smart campaign strategy, hard work and being in touch with middle America. Unlike the Kennedy's that squandered their wealth and had to liquidate their assets he built his into an empire that employs 22000 people. 

JJBella
Freshman Silent
link   JJBella  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Dean, are you saying that he would still be president if he had been born to a middle-class family in say Idaho? You're correct that he wasn't born president. What put him in that position was his birth into vast wealth. He wouldn't even be an afterthought today without that fact.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet

No I don't think he would be president if he was born into a broken family with crackheads for parents. Yes, coming from a good family with wealth is an advantage. I agree on that. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

"He wasn't born president he put himself there through"

using insults, grandiose promises, intimidation and threats, the same way he promised to govern. 

O What a leader..... LOL 

JJBella
Freshman Silent
link   JJBella    7 years ago

I could not be more pleased with this outcome. When is mitchy going to "get it" that both sides need to sit down and focus on the citizens of this country instead of partisan BS, the insurance lobby and big pharma. Other countries have managed to do this. Why can't the leaders of this nation sit their asses down and work this out?thumbs up

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet

Would you hire the same plumber again if he flooded your house. The Dems have already proven their idea of healthcare is to steal from the successful and give to the lazy.  They have nothing to offer other than failed tax and spend ideas. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

I'd ask him to fix it, not remove the plumbing altogether.

JJBella
Freshman Silent
link   JJBella  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Good morning to you. Would you please define "the lazy"? We are very close to full employment with many of those who are employed have no avenue to healthcare through their employer. Does it all have to be one way or the other? Can folks not sit down and do what's best for the majority?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  JJBella   7 years ago

Did you think that way about Obamacare when it was crammed down our throats without a single one of our votes by every means possible?  

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

Time for congress to get its shit together, stop all the constant trying to take the other side down and start working together again to solve the problems facing this country.

We are all Americas it's time we we started acting like it again.   Because, Divided we fall.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I think there was an immense misconception associated with all this. The misconception was that Trump has a "mandate" and thus it would not be difficult to enact his wishes.

There are only 52 GOP senators, and without Democratic help they had a razor thing margin of error to pass anything, even under the 'reconciliation' rules. One would think in a rational scenario that the GOP leaders would have reached out to some Democrats or brought their own legislation back to a centrist position befitting a split senate. But they didnt and now they are back to the drawing board.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

The Democratic position consists of bailouts for insurance companies. That's their "fix."  I don't think a middle ground exists.

Seriously, other than giving billions of dollars to massive corporations to encourage their participation in failing exchanges, what have the Democrats offered that will lower premiums and allow some choice in exchanges?  At least one third of counties have no choice in providers right now and it's going to continue to get worse. Where's the affordable in the Affordable Care Act? 

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

"The Democratic position consists of bailouts for insurance companies."

Who says ?

From what I saw the democrats pushed for everyone to have insurance thus spreading the burden and benefits.

The republic an solution seems to be go back to where we were before the ACA . With a two tier system of healthcare. One for the people who can afford it and hospital emergency rooms for those who cant.

Either way we all pay for everyone's healthcare in one way or anther these days, Americans aren't willing to watch sick folks die in the streets any longer and haven't been for some years now.

Again: Time for congress to get its shit together, and start working together again to solve the problems facing this country.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

pushed for everyone to have insurance thus spreading the burden and benefits.

That's not Obamacare then. A vote was offered last night on single payer, the democrats voted present. Brave souls that they are.

mericans aren't willing to watch sick folks die in the streets any longer and haven't been for some years now.

No kidding. Good thing that hasn't happened in decades. 

ime for congress to get its shit together, and start working together again to solve the problems facing this country.

Everyone agrees with that, but it's just people define  "working together again to solve the  problems facing the country" with working to implement their own favored policy preferences. 

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

"pushed for everyone to have insurance thus spreading the burden and benefits.

That's not Obamacare then."

True, The ACA was gutted long ago. Who did that ?  The democrats ? 

lol

If this new Republican bill would have passed it was designed to pull the skeleton out of the ACA and then watch it fall to  the ground as people died. 

That's not comprises that's sabotage.