╌>

Functionality That I miss From Newsvine

Category:  meta

Via:  citizen-kane-473667  •  7 years ago  •  209 comments

Functionality That I miss From Newsvine

Maybe I just don't know my way around well enough, or maybe these items do not exist here.  Maybe you all can fill in the gaps for me:

• Convo Tracker without being inundated with emails. How do I know if someone has replied to a discussion or made a new Comment without having my email Inbox spammed?  Is there a function similar to the NV Convo Tracker, and if so, where is it?
  • Auto Save when composing an article.  Is this a function here, and if so, how do I find what I was working on when crap happens (like yesterday when my mouse jumped around the page like it likes to do with this stupid W10 laptop in the middle of backspacing to correct a misspelling. Suddenly, I was sent back a page and lost  all that work)?
  • Do we have a Freind's list, and where do I find it? Can I track their articles/seeds from it or will it spam my inbox if I try to?
  • Is there a way to quickly "seed" articles like the button we had on the Newsvine site?  If so. where is it?

Thanks in advance for the guidance, and I so look forward to a long relationship like I had with Newsvine!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Citizen Kane-473667    7 years ago

Is there a Help section?  How about a FAQ page?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
link   Gordy327  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667   7 years ago

Is there a Help section?  How about a FAQ page?

That would be nice. But alas.

Convo Tracker without being inundated with emails. How do I know if someone has replied to a discussion or made a new Comment without having my email Inbox spammed?  Is there a function similar to the NV Convo Tracker, and if so, where is it?

I had the same problem. In the E-mail you get about a conversation, there is a link which directs you to options for notifications. You can select specific types of notifications to receive or disable them altogether.

Auto Save when composing an article.  Is this a function here, and if so, how do I find what I was working on when crap happens

I'm not sure about that one. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Do we have a Freind's list, and where do I find it?

Yes. Click on your name in the upper right corner of the page and select "your friends." To actually add a friend, you have to click on the name of the person you're trying to friend, and then select the "friend" tag next to their name. Once you do, it should read "Pending" until they either accept or reject your friend request.

Suddenly, I was sent back a page and lost  all that work)?

I hate when that happens. :(

Is there a way to quickly "seed" articles like the button we had on the Newsvine site?  If so. where is it?

No idea. I'd like to know that one too. I haven't seen anything regarding seeding though.

and I so look forward to a long relationship like I had with Newsvine!

As do I. Even if some of those relationships were, how shall I put this, turbulent. :)

I wouldn't mind a proper 'quote' function like the one Newsvine has.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Gordy327   7 years ago

I think one thing that may help explain things at Newstalkers is that it was designed as also a social media site. So, everyone has their own blog function. Everyone has their own photo gallery. Everyone has their own homepage where they can make and receive comments directed at just them, and where they can seed articles or write original material perhaps of a more personal nature. There is a function to convert and post audio. There is a chat function.

Perhaps some of the things you think you lack as far as seeding articles can be addressed by perrie as time goes by.

I will tell you without fear of contradiction that I have seeded more articles than anyone in the history of this site, and written many original articles also and I have never thought about the lack of an auto save function. I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Gordy327   7 years ago

If you are authoring your own article, I would strongly suggest you do it anywhere but here and then bring the finished product in at once.  Sometimes I will do this just for extensive comments as well.  On my phone I will use the text area of a new email as an editing space, then cut and paste it into a comment box and never have to worry about the site crashing my work.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Good advice.  I think I'll take it! Hanging loose

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

On my phone I will use the text area of a new email as an editing space, then cut and paste it into a comment box and never have to worry about the site crashing my work.

And that does happen from time to time, usually after you have just composed a long and particularly wonderful post...in fact I think that is the only time it happens! Happy

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Well as long as it only happened to you once...winking

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Citizen Kane-473667   7 years ago

" Auto Save when composing an article.  Is this a function here, and if so, how do I find what I was working on when crap happens (like yesterday when my mouse jumped around the page like it likes to do with this stupid W10 laptop in the middle of backspacing to correct a misspelling. Suddenly, I was sent back a page and lost  all that work)? "

Do you have " Touch Screen " if so Knats and Flies and myriads of " creeper Crowley's " on the screen will to that nothing to do with " mice " :-))

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Click on your name in the upper right hand corner and it will show you various functions including the friends thing.

You will have to ask Perrie about the others.  I don't think there is auto save when composing articles.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I don't think there is auto save when composing articles.

John's right, there is no auto save.  What I generally do, at least if the article/response is a long one, is periodically save the content to a Word document (or the equivalent if your computer doesn't use Word).  This will keep about 90% of your work intact, whether things save properly or not.  Also, if I'm doing a piece that is particularly long or complex, I compose it entirely in Word, then just copy/paste it into the proper place.  Got to go.  More later.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

I usually go to 'my discussions' and it will show you who left the last comment.  Click on Forums, upper right and it should give you a 'My Discussions' tab at the top of the 'white' area where actual forum's are listed.

Friends show up on your personal page.  I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions, hopefully Perrie or someone else will jump in.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Is there a function that notifies us when someone responds to our comments?

charger 383
Professor Silent
link   charger 383    7 years ago

how do I get a Avator symbol?

does this place have spellcheck?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383   7 years ago

Hi Charger..

To get your avatar uploaded go to your name in the upper right hand corner of every page. When you get there you will see a little icon of a gear, and click on it. You have to add your avatar in two place. One is the page you landed on and the other is the tab that says "account" and remember to hit save at the bottom of both pages. 

Yes we have spellcheck. It comes up as a redline under the incorrect word. Just right click on that word to get a list of possible spellings. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

If you don't have an avatar, I will be publishing a page that use can use the avatars from, soon!  You may find one that is made that you like, or I can help you with one!  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

As for Spellcheck, remember that it doesn't differentiate between "its" and "it's", nor does it provide the correct use for "there", "their" or "they're".  Also if you have used the wrong word but it is one that is spelled correctly, it won't help you either (example: "I walked down the isle to my seat at the theatre.")

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  charger 383   7 years ago

to use a photo or other image as your avatar

save the image you want to use to your computer or device

go to the upper right corner of the NT page, there is a drop down under your name. select " account settings" and on that page you will see the option to change or create an avatar

you need to repeat the process under the "profile" tab also in order to display the same avatar across all of Newstalkers.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I've put an article up with avatars that people are welcome to use! LINK

Just leave a comment and I'll send you the .jpg file.  I like your new avatar, John!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Friend list:

Go to your homepage (upper right hand corner) and find it there. To make a friend, go to your friend's homepage and hit friend. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I will be making a FAQ for the site. We had one but it became antiquated over time and changes. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Haven't we all...Happy

katlin02
Freshman Silent
link   katlin02    7 years ago

i too find tracking convo's not as easy here..have to get used to checking my e-mail several times i guess.

katlin02
Freshman Silent
link   katlin02    7 years ago

i do like the fact that you can delete or edit your own posts even after they have been posted..

the tracker on NV did mess up and you also had multiple notifications for the same article even when you tried to clear them out..

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago
  • Convo Tracker without being inundated with emails. How do I know if someone has replied to a discussion or made a new Comment without having my email Inbox spammed?  Is there a function similar to the NV Convo Tracker, and if so, where is it?

If you click on your name at the top right of the page, it will take you to YOUR page.  In the banner there is a gear icon (settings) click on that and look for the "NOTIFICATIONS" tab.  Select it and you can change how you are notified of discussion updates, friend requests and some other items.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

I set all my notifications to Private Message-- it keeps my email from clogging up.  You can go to your private messages by hovering over your name in the upper right hand corner, and Private Notes are listed on the drop down menu.  Good luck!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I took the advice you gave somewhere else and did the same thing.  Really makes keeping my email inbox clear and allows me to do everything for NT on NT.

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Yes, I like it too. I was inundated with emails the first day. Now I find I can open five at a time, each in a new tab, read them and choose to reply to one out of 5 then delete. In some ways it beats the Newsvine tracker.

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan    7 years ago

The Convo Tracker was brilliantly conceived and beautifully executed!!! It was the technical heart and soul of the Vine.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MalamuteMan   7 years ago

Hi Mal! Good to see you! Hope that you have been well! 

The Convo Tracker was brilliantly conceived and beautifully executed!!! 

Yes it was and as a tech person yourself, I know you realize how valuable it would be to have. I wish they they were going to make the code available, but I doubt it. 

Of all the platforms that I investigated before leaving Ning (this time I was an informed consumer), Jamroom had the best way of following discussions and that was a big part of why I chose them. Also they had the thing that NV gave up when they went to Nation status, like friends, homepages that you can personalize and groups. For us, that was a win/ win. They also have one of the best teams I have dealt with. Totally hands on. 

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Hi Perrie,

All things considered, I've been quite well... We bought a travel trailer and have been doing some RV vacationing.

How are you???

[ Mal wags... ]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Hi Mal,

Good to see you! Hope that your tail has been wagging! That sounds so cool to do RVing. I've been wanting to do that for a while and go do the national park system, but life has had other plans for me!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Hey Mal!

Welcome to NT, I hope you enjoy it here!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Hi Gary.  Actually Mal has been a member here for many years.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  MalamuteMan   7 years ago

(((((((((((Mal))))))))))))))  VERY glad to see you!  Hope all is well for you!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  MalamuteMan   7 years ago

Hey Mal, so great to see you again! Welcome to NT! I was Tink on NV and we were Friends there. I hope to renew that Friendship here on NT. You have been missed! (smile)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
link   Gordy327    7 years ago

The reply function could use some tweaking. Once a reply is posted, it does not specify to whom the reply is meant for, nor does it number the original post or reply, like the NV system does. It can become confusing as to whom is replying to whom, especially if there are multiple replies.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Gordy327   7 years ago

You have to keep track of the indents.  The more replies you get to your comment, the more the replies are indented.  That being said, it's sometimes hard to keep up with.  Usually, if I'm making a comment on something with a lot of replies, I address my comment to the person, like, "Stevie, I agree with you."

Gordy327
Professor Expert
link   Gordy327  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

That being said, it's sometimes hard to keep up with.

Exactly. Specification as to whom the reply is meant for and numbering them makes it perfectly clear and helps with tracking the conversation.

Usually, if I'm making a comment on something with a lot of replies, I address my comment to the person, like, "Stevie, I agree with you."

Depending on the comment, I sometimes address specific points or statements made. A proper 'quote' function would help here too.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327   7 years ago

Hi Gordy, 

We do have a proper quote function. It's this on the text editor:
Screen Shot 20170801 at 3.33.14 PM.png

This can be used for indentation, but it was meant for quoting, too. 

Some folks like to use the color function to make the difference, but I personally like this. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
link   Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

This can be used for indentation, but it was meant for quoting, too

I've been using for indentations to signify a quote. It just seems like an extra step for quotation.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Well, maybe I was doing something wrong at NV but I had to hit the quotation marks to get it to indent and then unclick them to get it to go back. Am I wrong?

Gordy327
Professor Expert

Maybe the indentation function can be combined into 1 indent on/off button on the editor, rather than clicking on left or right indent? That's where I was going with regards to quotation functions. Perhaps the extra step is my italicization of the line I'm quoting to better signify it's a quote?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Gordy,

I will look into other versions of the text editor. The problem is that we have so many functions on NT, it is hard to find one that will include the ones that we use often. But I will check it out. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert

Thanks Perrie. Given all the functions, perhaps there is a way to simply those functions into what are the most used functions or most user friendly? Sort of a "less is more" approach.

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Well, maybe I was doing something wrong at NV but I had to hit the quotation marks to get it to indent and then unclick them to get it to go back. Am I wrong?

I don't remember how we did it on the old vine, but it came back to me using the new vine. I usually hi-light a part of a comment for the 'floating' reply button which puts it on the top of the comment box. To do more quotes, I would have to hi-light and paste in the box and hit the quote marks. then hit enter and hit them, (quotes) again. Many times the complete quote hi-lighted would not appear.just parts of it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I think all of our new members have to realize that NT is NOT NV.  There will be some things that you're used to that you'll miss, and other things that will be a delightful surprise!  

All these little changes cost Perrie money, (if they can be done at all), AND she pays for the site out of her own pocket.  Some of the codes are proprietary, and Perrie doesn't have access to them.  The fact that NT is not owned or operated by some giant corporation is a real plus, to me!  We can all  make suggestions, and some of our suggestions may be doable, and others may not.  Only Perrie can answer that, as she is the one who codes them.  thumbs up

katlin02
Freshman Silent
link   katlin02  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

thanks for the explanation..and suggestions.

the biggest plus for me is that NT is NOT NV and the fact that i can delete and edit my own posts without a 2 min time limit.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  katlin02   7 years ago

I agree with that one!  I've been posting some comments on NV the past few days, and, since I've been gone from there for so long, I've found it to be difficult...  So is finding comments again...  But that's probably me.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  katlin02   7 years ago

there is a limit though. I think it is 10

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, John.  10 comments?  10 minutes?  Please help!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

10 minutes

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you!!!  NOW, I understand...

Also, if you make a comment that you want to delete after the 10 minute cutoff, you can contact a moderator, who will delete it for you!  

katlin02
Freshman Silent
link   katlin02  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

OK will have to try to remember that.--could be why when i try to edit some comments, usually for spelling errors or poor wording, it doesn't  always work.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  katlin02   7 years ago

could be why when i try to edit some comments, usually for spelling errors or poor wording, it doesn't  always work.

If there is a delay, and the edit or trash icons do not appear in the top right corner immediately after your comment is posted, hit refresh, and run your cursor over the comment box.  It will be there.  Don't dilly-dally though, especially if the edit or deletion is an important one.  You might have several minutes to edit your comment once you hit the appropriate icon, but you only have two minutes to hit the appropriate icon so that you can begin your edit or deletion. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492    7 years ago

Is there a way to tell who wrote or seeded an article without actually navigating to it?  Some users regularly post articles I'd just as soon skip to save time, but hovering my cursor over a link doesn't tell me the author as it does on NV.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

To my knowledge, no.  I know, there are specific authors I avoid, unless I'm called to moderate.  winking   No sense in going looking for something to be upset over...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Exactly.  Or some posters just regularly put up such inane articles that they're not worth the time it takes to click and roll my eyes.  I can usually tell from the headline, but not always.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

Yeah, I understand...   Sometimes, I wait to see if my best friends comment on an article, before I go there....  winking

user image
Freshman Silent
link       7 years ago

test

watches carefully

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to    7 years ago

hmm, I see no difference so as to help know that I am quoting someone else back to the drawing board

I would say Enumerate each comment, then when someone answers on that by clicking on it it places a " marker " with that number included, the marker can be shaded text or a chosen colour text, that all will know is the Original text quoted from, it does not have to have the whole text.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to    7 years ago

Hey, Eagle!  waving

user image
Freshman Silent
link       7 years ago

Hey, D imagine meeting here :-)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

winking

I'm running around, trying to help everyone!  I didn't want you to feel that no one noticed your comment...  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

I knew we were going to ad new moderators to make the place functional with the the influx of new members here but one of them I never expected in a million years.  I'm not sure how fair some of us will be treated by one of them.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

I agree that there should be a balance X.  I'm not sure who else besides Blue and Buzz have been selected/accepted to be moderators but maybe you could nominate (off line to Perrie) someone you think will be as fair as they can from your side of the aisle.  From a glance it does seem a little left heavy.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Right now, Perrie needs moderators to be people she trusts not to run the site off a rail.  So, the list of moderators will grow and change as time passes...  Nothing is written in stone, here, besides the CoC.  One can always appeal a ruling.  That's the way it's done.  You know that we archive every comment we delete, don't you?  If the deletion doesn't 'pass muster', it is restored.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

C4P,

All the moderators work as a team. That is why we have a private group, so we can discuss issues with moderation among ourselves. If there is a trend by one of the moderators to moderate unfairly, then they are removed. Moderation is pretty straightforward in most cases. We all can ID an insult when we see one, or a swipe that is meant to inflame. What is more important is that we have a balanced moderation team, and with the addition of Buzz, we will. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I don't have a problem with Buzz at all.  At least I know he won't talk about stoning me.  angel I guess we will have to see if the other one can step into the role and be fair to us.  Always hoping for the best....praying

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

If your going to put a hard core leftist ideologue on as a mod, you need a hard right ideologue as one also to counteract the obvious slant.

Right now, there is you.

the rest are four declared leftists running moderate to hard, one mostly hard rightist who seldom mods anything and soon to be one moderate rightist. (who would be a great addition by the way)

No real balance at all.

And yes it is sad to say, my faith in the judgment of upper management has taken a serious hit.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Lady Dowser my comment wasn't meant as a complaint or a criticism and I don't know the process that moderators go through when deciding what comments merit attention.  Most of us have been here long enough to know which way the members lean based on their posting history.  Moderators are human and human nature suggests that no matter how much people try to be unbiased it's practically impossible.  It's also feasible that the moderator will over compensate in their attempt to be unbiased and they may be more strict towards those members in which they generally agree.  

Perception is a strong factor and if a majority of moderators lean one way then members may feel there's an unfair advantage. 

I personally don't have a problem with whoever is enlisted.....but I'm a rebel.  hahahaha

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I didn't take your comment as criticism or complaint.  I was explaining my point of view.

I hope that all members understand that we're human and therefore, we all make mistakes...  And you're right, all of us bend over backwards to help members who are of an opposite stripe.  I've talked to people via chat, sent emails, and tried my best to get someone to change a nasty comment back to a nice one that still supports their point of view.

Being a mod is a hard job.  I quit being a moderator so I could vent more often.  I had reached the burn out point.  I'm back, because I have experience and think, (Only Think!) that maybe I can help Perrie out with this huge influx of members that don't know the site.

I love you, dear Pj!  I'm sorry if you felt I was fussing at you-- I surely didn't mean to!

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Lady Dowser - You're one of the fairest members on this site so I have immense respect for your judgement and please feel free to fuss at me anytime - I won't be offended.  :0)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I wasn't fussing!  and I try to keep from fussing unless I have to!  thumbs up

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Well I was willing and still am pending in my attempt to join the moderator group and thus become one.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

She has had my standing offer for years and I was one before here. Of which I left of my own volition cause the style of moderating wanted didn't fit what was being asked. Today the proffored style is a lot closer to my style and the offer still stands. (I moderated two mods who were insulting each other in public such that a regular user would have quickly been moderated, a different standard for mods shouldn't have existed)

Not that I don't have any experience in the current professed style.

Never been suspended in my entire time here either. (maybe that is a new requirement of being a mod)

Over half a dozen times I guess is optimal given the evidence.

But she has never been lacking in volunteers for the position.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

I, too, have never been suspended, nor banned.  However there was that one time, that I would have gladly taken a suspension, as long as I got to say my piece.  I was THAT mad...  That happens very rarely, in all honesty.  I have a tendency to go on and on, and then, one day, BAM!  I've had enough!  winking  

I don't know why you haven't been a moderator here.  But you have to fit into the group of moderators, so we can all be a team.  I don't know if that is why, ok?  Just a guess...  You and I get along very well-- I love you as my friend, and likely always will.  We don't always agree, but we are never unkind to one another.  That I know of.  If I've said something unkind, and I want to apologize right here and now.  It has never been my intention to hurt you, in a any way!  Also, I've been quite worried about you with your illness.  I just haven't gone on and on about, because I don't think you want that...

Worry not, dear NWM.  I love you dearly!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

It isn't about you sweets and you have done nothing wrong. don't worry about it. (you worry too much, you just don't need the stress)

You understand the system of keeping moderated messages so they can be restored?

My suggestion/creation, may be different now I understand.

I was a moderator once before when moderating standards were a lot more lax. (members were allowed to get away with a lot more than they can now)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Why would anyone want to be a moderator?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Trout Giggles   7 years ago

Good question Trout,

Mainly I believe that it stems from a desire to help that many of us have.

Also a desire to be a good citizen in the community.

But here, I'm not so sure of that anymore seeing as how the position has become so politically charged.

Perrie does 99% of the moderating around here, cause frankly there is a bit of disconnect between what she want's in a moderator and what she considers good moderation vs what others think of the same.

What winds up happening is she is the final arbiter and that is her right, but it forces the rest to hold off and deal with only the most egregious incidents as a stopgap until she returns.

There is extensive history of such.

Many of us step up when she is away to get control of things. But clearly, at least from the perspective of one recently elevated mod, not an option anymore.

Sad really, this was a great community of peeps that looked out for one another....

But I fear that is changing.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you think it has anything to do with Newsvine shutting down?

I've had my fill of being an admin at NV. I'm glad there are good people who do the job here

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Trout Giggles   7 years ago

Thanks, Trout.  The mods here are good people...  We manage to piss off both sides of the aisle-- and that was a measure of Calvin's standards for mods.  thumbs up

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I remember him saying the same thing Dowser.. and he was right. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Since I've been on NT we have had mod's from both sides of the aisle. I have found that all of them regardless of their political bent have been more than fair. 

When a person takes the position they have to use the CoC as their guide. It's pretty straight forward and all of the mods have used it as intended. No personal feeling have entered he process from either side.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

While I agree with balance, I have no doubt that our new moderators will be fair.  We have a checks and balances system in place, you know.  Other mods look at the deleted comments, and if they feel a comment was deleted in error, they can restore it.  thumbs up

user image
Freshman Silent
link       7 years ago
(deleted)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Hey, I didn't say that!

I thought it was a typical corporate decision that completely ignored people's feelings...  I personally feel they were wrong to shut it down...  And yes, I believe it was murdered from within.

user image
Freshman Silent
link       7 years ago

I did my best from outside emailing the higher ups at NBC asking them to pull the plug.  It was cruel to keep it on life support for such a long time. 

And D

And it all began back in 2014...  When I left.  I couldn't take it any more!  But that's me...

I grieved for weeks over the decision, but for me, it was the right thing to do...

I can not disagree More!

The Ability to have a topical Chat, even with those that are vehemently opposed is fundamental in ANY society to function!! Shutting Opposition down is not of any benefit to ANY one, but to Despots!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

How was my feeling that I couldn't take it any more any kind of shutting down the opposition?  I just removed myself from the equation...  I don't understand.

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Lets slow down a bit

user image
Freshman Silent

When a Fire breaks out, some for medical reasons might need to get away, what would happen if we all get away?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

You'll have to just take this on faith-- Believe me, no one wants to wait until I can drag them out of a fire...  I'm 61 years old with all kinds of disk problems, heart trouble, including heart failure, etc.  I wouldn't be much help.  (Let's move this arm, then this arm, then this leg, then this leg, and then sit behind them and push their body over with my feet.  Repeat as necessary.  We'd all burn up.)

user image
Freshman Silent

So then, while I agree with ANY ones actions to do as they " best see fit " for society to function a Majority must do what?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

The best they can.  Happy

user image
Freshman Silent

LOL Brilliant response Yes

Yes no one can do better then their Best! 

But nothing less right?

&&&&^%@

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

For me, nothing less.  YET, I'm probably harder on myself than most are...  When I mess something up, I chastise myself for days...  I just try as hard as I can.  And yes, I make mistakes.

user image
Freshman Silent

If you can read the article I posted there " The Rat and the Eagle " let me know what the Punch Line was :-)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Can you send me a link?  I can't find doodley squat over there...  winking

user image
Freshman Silent

lol, I doubt I can I was Banned for saying " That is what an Anal Deviant will say so "  Go Figure!!

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147  replied to    7 years ago

@Eagle Averro     lol,  I doubt I can I was Banned for saying " That is what ...............

@Eagle  Yes you can. Anyone can read the articles on NV, at least until Oct.1st, even the banned. Just use the search box.

user image
Freshman Silent

lol, I doubt I can I was Banned for saying " That is what an Anal Deviant will say so "  Go Figure!!

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Eagle_Averro/media/NV_zpsdfiavnuc.jpg.html?filters[user]=57763761&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=20&ref=1

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

EEk!  Sorry to hear it!

user image
Freshman Silent

Just to clarify, the Anal Deviant comment was not to any one in the forum, not to any individual, but about a medical condition!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Don't you just hate it, when people misunderstand?  Yet, I know I could have worded something differently, so they would not have taken offense...  winking

user image
Freshman Silent

Yes, but words are all we have to communicate, when some want to take offence, rather then trying to understand the point made, can one prevent it what is the old adage about " fools ..... offence .... "?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to    7 years ago

Yeah, such a lovely thing to say...  You might want to have a word with yourself before you say it here.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Well those are two fairly unusual words to see bound together. could mean many different things depending on meaning/context.

Besides from the obvious one of course...

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

Without offence::

See CDC and then compare " High Risk Activity " and see the numerous articles I have over decades on that.

If you can get the ones that went on for years on BPE1 HIV/AIDS pandemic you will get a better view!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to    7 years ago

They drew first blood. 

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan    7 years ago

I wish there was a chat feature... Am I missing something???

Also, How do I stop following JUST ONE PARTICULAR article/discussion??? As near as I can tell notifications are either on for everything... or nothing... No???????

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  MalamuteMan   7 years ago

Make a comment on a different article.  That puts the article on your tracker.  OR, you can follow the article you want to keep up with in the upper right hand corner of the article, somewhere up there, anyway.  thumbs up

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Thanks Dowser!

[ Mal wags... ]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Hey Hi Mal!

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147    7 years ago

I wish there was a chat feature... Am I missing something???

There was and hopefully that function will soon be fixed. They are working on it. There is a note on the front page relating to it. It was down in the right corner at that time, but things do get moved.winking

On that tracking button. It is up in the right corner of the thread. If I check out an article and would like to follow it without making a comment, I can, by clicking that button. comments  from that article will be in my private notes. All I have to do is click it again and It will de-track. If I comment on an article somewhere else and it is my first comment, It will also track. It works just like the old NV tracking button. It just looks different. I look at private notes as a tracker, which also looks different.

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan  replied to  John Galt 1147   7 years ago

Thanks John!

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan  replied to  John Galt 1147   7 years ago

Thanks John!!!!

:o)

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147    7 years ago

Welcome  malamuteman :  I'm still learning my way around too.Laugh

Oh and on edit. hover over your comment in the right corner and you can either delete or edit it for at least two mins. I think.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  John Galt 1147   7 years ago

The old chat was not fixable (or at least that version of it) after much trying. So they upgraded the chat, but then everyone (well not Kavika, he's special, LOL), lost chat, including me!! Hopefully they will be fixing it tonight. Fingers crossed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

When your a shape shifter one transcends the mortal constraints and limitations of ''chat''....

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Ahh  for all the " Special " ones 

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Ahh  for all the " Special " ones 

Will it be Voice enabled?

Lebowsky
Freshman Silent
link   Lebowsky  replied to  John Galt 1147   7 years ago

Learning the lay of land :o)

Hi John

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147  replied to  Lebowsky   7 years ago

Learning the lay of land :o)

Hi John

Hi Leb. Yep, more to learn, new territory.winking  I keep exploring.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

It looks like chat is up and running again. Check it out, it's working for me.

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Congrats, not for me anger

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

The long button keeps popping up, but when I click on it it disappears. Maybe I am too impatient There has been a sm. square with an exclamation point there all day.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  John Galt 1147   7 years ago

yes

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I don't have it. There is a button that says Log In where the chat window is supposed to be. I'm already logged in. 

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
link   John Galt 1147  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

johnrussell

:Yep me too. I logged out this afternoon and tried logging back in. No change. I have faith it wil be fixed. It's just a matter of time. and a little patience.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I guess that I'm special...LMAO

user image
Freshman Silent
link       7 years ago

You are YOU are!!!! angel

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to    7 years ago

Thank you Eagle.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles    7 years ago

Is there an ignore function?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles   7 years ago

There is no ignore function, Trout.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Then I guess I will have to exercise my rarely used self-controlcrying

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal

Then I guess I will have to exercise my rarely used self-controlcrying

Kavika
Professor Principal

Pete and re peat...LOL

I guess that since your one of the good ones I can tell you that there really is an ignore function. I don't give out this highly secretive information easily. Of course $20 will do it.

Ok here we go, I use the tomahawk as my ignore button. One smack with the old tomahawk and there isn't a repeat of their nonsense.

Simply, easy and to the point.

Your welcome. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal

Ok...I got 20 bucks. Is that a one-time payment or do you want 20 bucks for every use?

Kavika
Professor Principal

The $20 is only payable for the initial information and then every time that I upgrade the tomahawk or built a new one another $20 is due.

Please send your payment to:

Tomahawks R Us

123 Warclub Rd.

Warroad MN...666

(no trinkets please)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal

You've quite the little side business there

Kavika
Professor Principal

Indeed I do Trout. My new store, ''Little Thunder's Cigar, Book Store, Fry Bread Shop and Beauty Parlor. (we do braids and face paint)'' opens September 1st. You are invited to the grand opening. In fact I did an article it. 

Additionally I'm a best selling author, A world class  Fancy Dancer, a Brave about town and the owner of Wiki Warrior Wonder Wiener (my mini doxie). But I have to say that my greatest achievement is being the father of two, grandfather of four and great grand father of twelve. I started my own tribe, the Fugawe tribe (AKA The Lost Tribe) of some renown. 

user image
Freshman Silent
link     replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

2    4     12  Numerologist would LOVE that !!

Robot Face

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to    7 years ago

I forgot to add that I'm also a numerologist...1 2 button your shoe.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Trout Giggles   7 years ago

I wish!  hahahaha - Hi TGiggles

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

There is an ignore function.  We were all born with it.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
link   tomwcraig    7 years ago

The only thing I would like to see is when you reply to someone that it automatically puts their name at the beginning of the reply.  This way there is a better tracking than the extra indents of reply chains.