╌>

British Newspaper Fires Columnist After Outrageous Anti-Semitic, Anti-Female Story

Category:  World News

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

British Newspaper Fires Columnist After Outrageous Anti-Semitic, Anti-Female Story

The Sunday Times of London  fired controversial columnist Kevin Myers  on Sunday and  removed  his latest piece from its website amid outrage over the column’s blatant anti-Semitic and sexist comments.

Myers’ column, titled “Sorry, Ladies ― Equal Pay Has To Be Earned,” focused on the  dismal wage gap  between men and women presenters working at the BBC. It appeared online and in the paper’s Irish edition.

Myers suggested that two of the BBC’s female hosts, Claudia Winkleman and Vanessa Feltz, were paid more than other women because they were Jewish.

According to  screenshots  of the now-deleted article, Myers wrote:

“I note that two of the best-paid women presenters in the BBC – Claudia Winkleman and Vanessa Feltz, with whose, no doubt, sterling work I am tragically unacquainted – are Jewish. Good for them.

“Jews are not generally noted for their insistence on selling their talent for the lowest possible price, which is the most useful measure there is of inveterate, lost-with-all-hands stupidity. I wonder, who are their agents? If they’re the same ones that negotiated the pay for the women on the lower scales, then maybe the latter have found their true value in the marketplace.”

Elsewhere in the column, Myers wrote that it was possible men were paid more than women at the BBC because men “work harder,” “are more driven” and “are more charismatic performers,” The  New York Times  reported. He also stated that women do not possess “mastery of money” because they lacked characteristics like drive and logic.

Although the Sunday Times deleted the article from its website on Sunday morning, the column still appeared in newspapers all over Ireland. Critics called on the paper to fire Myers, and demanded to know how editors allowed such an inflammatory article be published.

Don't know if I'm more angry at Kevin Myers for saying women should work harder for equal pay or that the Sunday Times published it?

In response, the paper apologized, with Frank Fitzgibbon, editor of the Sunday Times Ireland claiming “full responsibility for this error of judgment.”

The paper will also launch an investigation into how the article made it to print.

I see the Sunday Times editor has apologised for the Kevin Myers article he accidentally commissioned, approved, edited and published.

News UK say Kevin Myers won't be writing for the Irish Sunday Times again. UK edition editor Ivens has apologised to Winkleman and Feltz.

Kevin Myers has espoused terrible and offensive opinions for decades and yet he's always been given a national platform

Myers has sparked outrage in the past for his incendiary points of view. In 2008, he published a column titled “Africa Is Giving Nothing To Anyone ― Apart From AIDS.” A year later, he publicly  denied the Holocaust occurred.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sunday-times-fires-columnist-after-anti-semitic-sexist-rant_us_597e98b2e4b02a8434b73cdd?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

It is hard to see how that ever got published in a reputable newspaper. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I find this absolutely shocking and he should be fired, especially given his past comments. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Why wasn't he fired for saying this,six years ago - 

in the Irish Independent:

There was no holocaust (or Holocaust, as my computer software insists) and six million Jews were not murdered by the Third Reich. These two statements of mine are irrefutable truths.”

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Wow. How did he survive that? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

The paper let that statement stand in print on their website for six years too. Hard to understand. 

Ryarios
Freshman Silent
link   Ryarios    7 years ago

"The paper will also launch an investigation into how the article made it to print."

I bet it was something like this:  Myers submitted his article and the editor read it and thought, "Boy that's going to create some traffic!".  The he notified Myers to correct the spelling of 2 words and remove one extraneous period and publish it.  When the shit hit the fan they did like all managers do in such situations and threw Myers under the bus while feigning ignorance to the whole affair. They then  promised a full investigation while hoping that everyone will forget about the whole thing by the next weekend...