╌>

So, This Is NewsTalkers?

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  mweaver  •  7 years ago  •  32 comments

So, This Is NewsTalkers?

Now that NewsVine is about to finally get it's much deserved bullet to the head, I'm looking for a new place to rant/rave and generally act like the delusional heathen that I am.  And I here this place is friendly.  I'm encouraged by seeing old friends like Enoch, BadFish and Dowser. 

So, hello everybody.  Glad to be here.  Anything I should know that is not painfully obvious?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Welcome Mweaver... I don't know if you remember me after so much time. 

This is what you need to know. 

The main forum.. full spectrum of politics. 

Groups are like nations or old NV groups. It's all in the way you set them up. 

Other than that, stay away from badfish when he's been out of the water too long. He starts to get a smell about him...

:)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

"Other than that, stay away from badfish when he's been out of the water too long. He starts to get a smell about him.."

awwwww.... Perrie....poor badfish is just misunderstood. Most of the time now days he is just a Guppy and swims along happily with most of the other fish here on NT, even the piranhas. (very big grin..... and joking BF)

Repojam
Freshman Silent
link   Repojam  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Other than that, stay away from badfish when he's been out of the water too long. He starts to get a smell about him...

I just thought that was how Badfish smelled.  Maybe I am just used to it.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Hi MWeaver and welcome to our little corner of the cyber. Hope you enjoy it here and get to feel about it the way most of us felt about Newsvine once upon a time......

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Welcome, MWeaver!!!  VERY glad you're with us!

Remember that you can contact people via Chat, (lower right hand corner of the page), and have a real, one on one conversation with anyone that is online!  thumbs up

MWeaver
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  MWeaver  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Thanks, helpful as always.   Oh, and cool little emojis too!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

Hi mweaver-- nice to see you!Happy

At first glance,this site may seem similar to NV. Which shouldn't be surprising, as it was started by Perrie, a "Viner herself.

And in many ways this site is similar to NV-- although more like the "Old" NV (when there were still groups-- the time before the Nations system was instituted).

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

And in many ways this site is similar to NV-- although more like the "Old" NV (when there were still groups-- the time before the Nations system was instituted).

To further answer your question:

Groups, not Nations: Since we don't have nations here, we have groups. And the significant thing about that is that you can create either a public group or a private group. So if you wish, you can create a private group. In that case the whatever is said in the group is confidential-- it can not be seen by other NT users. In addition, they can't even know the identity of people in the group. 

I believe there are some people here who participate mainly (or perhaps even entirely?) only in groups and pretty much ignore the items on the front page. ASnd otherts who are active in groups but mainly lurk on the front page. 

So if someone wants to create a "secretZ" private group with friends-- this is a great site to do it on! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

(cont'd from previous comments):

Anything I should know that is not painfully obvious?

One major feature here that many other sites (including NV) don't have: Chat.

A very popular feature. Basically, you can have a private conversation with another user-- in realtime. That means that instead of posting a comment and waiting for a comment in replay, you get an instant reply. And then you can instantly reply to that..and so on. Like a real conversation on a telephone or in person. 

You can easily have a real conversation in depth. (When you post a comment in the conventional manner, yiour might see a reply posted within a few minutes-- or the next day. Or more. 

Chat is a wonderful way to get to know people really quickly. (I've actually had chats here with people that have gone on an hour or more!). And you can post a link in a chat-- the other person can nopen it and then you can discuss it in realtime.

Usually chats are between two people-- but you can also invite a few folks into the Chat room.

{Any other users here have anything to add about chat?).

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

GREAT explanation, Krish!  Thank you for that!  thumbs up

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

GREAT explanation, Krish!  Thank you for that!   thumbs up

You're welcome Happy

I do tend to get quite wordy at times, sometimes it can be a bit off-putting to more laconic types (or even to those who tend to use very words words).

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

You....wordy? Nahhh! (big grin)

If folks are really looking for help they won't mind reading what is there that will do just that. You did a great job in explaining the features and I am sure folks will find it helpful. (smile)

dkemmerer
Freshman Silent
link   dkemmerer    7 years ago

[waves]

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing    7 years ago

Hi mweaver! I remember you from NV some time ago. I was Tink there with a smiling sunshine as my avatar. I changed my use name and avatar when I came to NT. I am sooo glad to see you here no NT. (big smile)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Damned fingers playing games with teh keyboard again. (Ugh!!) 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    7 years ago

Welcome mweaver; good to have you with us!

:~)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

Welcome to NT Mweaver. I kinda remember you from NV. Been awhile.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6    7 years ago

Welcome!