╌>

The Weendigo (Windigo) The Terrifying Creature of the Ojibwe, Adults Only.

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  29 comments

The Weendigo (Windigo) The Terrifying Creature of the Ojibwe, Adults Only.

The Weendigo, (Windigo) so terrifying that there is a mental disorder named the ''Weendigo Psychois''. Described as a person that intently craves human flesh.

So my friends, take a journey with me into the world of the Weendigo if you can. Remember if you meet one, there is no escape.

The Weendigo

Of all the evil beings who dwelt on the periphery of the world of the Anishinaabe peoples, none was more terrifying than the Weendigo.  It was a creature loathsome to behold and as loathsome in its habits, conduct and manners.

The Weendigo was a giant manitou in the form of a man or a woman, who towered five to eight times above the height of a tall man. But the Weendigo was a giant in height only; in girth and strength, it was not.  Because it was afflicted with never-ending-hunger and could never get enough to eat, it was always on the verge of starvation.  The Weendigo was gaunt to the point of emaciation, its desiccated skin pulled tautly over it bones.  With its bones pushing out against its skin, it complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their sockets, the Weendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. What lips it had were tattered and bloody from the constant chewing with jagged teeth.

Unclean and suffering from suppurations of the flesh, the Weendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption.

When the Weendigo set to attack a human being, a dark snow cloud would shroud its upper body from the waist up. The air would turn cold, so the trees crackled.  Then a wind would rise, no more than a breath at first, but in moments whining and driving, transformed into a blizzard.

Behind the odor and chill of death and the killing blizzard came the Weendigo.

Even before the Weendigo laid hands on them, many people died in their tracks from fright: just to see the Weendigo's sepulchral face was enough to induce heart failure and death. For others, the monster's shriek was more than they could bear.

Those who died of fright were lucky; their death was merciful and painless.  But for those who had the misfortune to live through their terror, death was slow and agonizing.

The Weendigo seized its victim and tore him or her limb from limb with its hands and teeth, eating the flesh and bones and drinking the blood while its victim screamed and struggled.  The pain of other meant nothing to the Weendigo, all that mattered was its survival.

The Weendigo gorged itself and glutted its belly as if it would never eat again.  But, a remarkable thing always occurred.  As the Weendigo ate, it grew, and as it grew so did its hunger, so that no matter  how much it ate, it hunger always remained in proportion to its size.  The Weendigocould never requite either its unnatural lust for human flesh or its unnatural appetite.  It could never stop as animals do when bloated, unable to ingest another morsel, or sense as humans sense that enough is enough for the present.  For the unfortunate Weendigo, the more it ate, the bigger it grew, and the bigger it grew, the more it wanted and needed.

The Weendigo inspired fear.  There was no human sanction or punishment to compare to death at the hands of the Weendigo.

In the meantime the Weendigo waited in the shadows, hungry to the point of collapse and tormented by an unrelenting ache that was worse than any ache known to humans.

The Weendigo feeds on greed. So if your one that allows greed to control them, beware, the Weendigo is waiting for you.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Beware

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Great article, Kavika. Thanks for sharing a bit of the Ojibwe culture and Spirit world with us. 

(chills.....I'm getting chills just reading about it.....)

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

LOL, don't look over your shoulder RW, a Weendigo may be catching up.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Oh thanks!  That really makes me feel all comfy and cozy. (NOT)

chuckle

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles    7 years ago

They did a whole show on this on "Charmed"

Piper turned into a Wendigo. Pretty Piper became pretty ugly

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles   7 years ago

Charmed, Weendigo = OxymoronLaugh

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

thumbs up

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Well, thank you. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Your welcome magnoliaave, even though you weren't talking to me...I like to throw out thank you's.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

''Weendigo Psychois''

Would Hannibal Lecter qualify for that illness?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

LOL, he sure would Buzz.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    7 years ago

Scary, indeed!    Thank you for sharing!   

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  KatPen   7 years ago

Your welcome Kat.

Mrs D
Freshman Silent
link   Mrs D    7 years ago

I remember this story well Kavika. I'm not greedy so I should be okay. praying dude

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Mrs D   7 years ago

Welcome Mrs D....Good to see you.

Mrs D
Freshman Silent
link   Mrs D  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thank you! I'm having a hard time navigating. lol

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Mrs D   7 years ago

Practice makes pefect...LOL

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Mrs D   7 years ago

Mrs D!  So good to see you here again. Welcome!! Big hugs

Mrs D
Freshman Silent
link   Mrs D  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Thank you RW! waving

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Mrs D   7 years ago

I eat all the donuts. Do you think the Weendigo is coming for me?

Kavika
Professor Principal

Oh no, you eat donuts. For sure the Weendigo is looking for you Trout. 

Kavika opens another donut and fry bread shop, free donuts and fry bread for all...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

You don't want to offer me free donuts and fry bread. I will eat up all your profits

Kavika
Professor Principal

LOL, they are free so there is no profit Trout.Laugh