╌>

Riding the Rails - A Rez Boys Adventure

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  21 comments

Riding the Rails - A Rez Boys Adventure

Many years ago, before many of you were born, it was great sport and transportation for us to ''jump'' the ore trains. A common practice in the area that I lived in.

My two brothers and I would spend the best part of summer ''jumping'' ore trains to points unknown to us. Generally not far since our world was about 5 miles in any direction.

It was July in the early 1950's when the three of use set off on our great adventure. Having had years of experience jumping ore trains, the day started out as any other. It would be a fun day riding around the countryside and being home by supper. It was not to be.

We started out walking from our house to the local ''Roundhouse'' an area where trains switched and we could jump one as it was just starting out. After a walk of three miles we had it in sight and waiting by the railroad tracks for the first train to come by.

Here she came, huffing and puffing as she gained power, smoke blowing from her stacks. It was a ''Great Northern RR'' train, the one with the mountain goat for an emblem. As she came closer and closer to us the huge ''cow catcher'' pushing out front of her, she was bellowing, smoke pouring from her stacks and we could hear the clackity clack from running over the rails.

We were excited and scared at the same time, this monster of a train was heading right at us. As she passed the noise was tremendous driving the birds were leaving the trees. Huge steel wheels went by our heads and we looked up and could see the Engineer leaning out the side, looking ahead and the ''fireman'' was shoveling coal into her. She was beautiful and frighting at the same time, she was the most powerful thing on earth. She shook the earth with her power.

As she roared by us the ore cars tagging along behind this beauty. One hundred cars long, the red ore piled high in each, as she gained power she ate up the tracks.

Now was the time, we started running along side of her reaching to grab a ladder to swing ourselves up on, a slip meant death. Our hearts were pounding, our lungs felt like they were going to burst. Finally I reached up and grabbed a post and swung myself up on the ladder. Reaching back I helped my brothers up.

Now we were King of the Rails. ''The Monster'' as we called her was hurling down the tracks and gaining speed with ever turn of her mighty steel wheels. The birch trees on each side on the tracks were becoming a blur and she roared down the tracks.

Still gaining speed, her whistle blowing out a warning to all, do not challenge me.

We were holding on for dear life as she roared through a Railroad Crossing, the cars looking like tiny toys next to her. The people in the cars were waving to us and we waved back.

Freedom was ours on the back of this powerful being, we knew that she was alive, we had become part of her, our fear leaving us as we screamed in joy, we are the king of the world.

Soon we were on the outskirts of a town about ten miles from our start. She was not slowing down, in fact she was gaining speed.

We looked at each other the same thought ran through our minds, we were headed to the ore docks on Lake Superior over a hundred miles away. She wasn't going to stop, this was a one-way ride for us.

Hours later we could see the ore docks, we had to get off or risk being killed when they dumped the cars. As she slowed down we jumped, hit the ground with a thud and rolled and rolled. Looking at each other not knowing if we were dead or alive.

Soon we realized that we were in a world that we had never seen before. 120 miles from home in the port city of Duluth. The only way home was to ''jump'' another train and hope that it was headed in the right direction.

That night we waited for a ''Great Northern'' engine to come our way. We waited and waited, soon the sun was coming up and a whole night had passed.

Here she came, huffing and puffing gaining speed for her trip back to the ore mines. We ran along side her and jumped aboard. The ride back was mixed with excitement and knowing that we were in big trouble.

Hours later we were coming up on the ''Round House'', as she slowed down we jumped again, landing with a resounding thud, we were still in one piece.

Now the long walk home and what awaited us there. We had been gone for over 24 hours and our parents must be out of their minds with worry.

We were right, the ass tanning that we got must have set an all time record. After the tanning we were sentenced to life without parole. We would be digging potato's, plowing furrows, and every other job our dad could think of. When we were done with that, mum would have many other chores for us.

For 24 hours we were free, riding the rails, the power of the engine was our life blood.

It was worth it.

Kavika 2012 All Rights Reserved. Do not use without permission.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Just another day in the life of the Rez Boys.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Ohhh yeah! I remember reading this one some time ago and loved it. You three were a little between the Three Stooges and brazen Warriors. (grin)

Based on your antics alone it is amazing that you all lived to adulthood from all the punishments you brought on yourselves. (snicker)

Another great story, Kavika. Love them all.  thumbs up

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Thanks RW....LOL a cross between the Three Stooges and Brazen Warriors...Now that is quite the compliment...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Big hugs

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Another great story........thank you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Your welcome magnoliaave.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Charlie, look at the header at the top of the comment section. Second from the end, next to the smiley face is a piece of film...Click on that, choose the size you want the photo to be xlarge513 is the best. Click on ''up load image'' and than follow the instructions...If you want to post a image off the net simply right click on it and hit copy image go back to the article you want it on and hit paste...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing    7 years ago

Hi Charlie,

By 'seed' do you want to start a discussion about your pictures, or do you just want to insert pictures into a comment windows in an existing article?

If you want to just insert pictures into a comment window there are instructions here:

If you want to start a discussion of your own, you can find the steps to do so here:

You can insert pictures using the steps in the first link I posted to insert the pictures in the article.

If you need help just give a holler and one of here on NT will be most happy to help. (smile)

WhoAmI
Freshman Silent
link   WhoAmI    7 years ago

Thanks for the great story.  I had a freight train that ran 75 yards from my backyard. I, and the other 10 - 11 year olds in the neighborhood used to "hop" the train all the time.  In the days before automatic crossing arms, the train had to make a lot of noise and creep across two major streets within about a mile, it was usually going only about 5 to 10 MPH as it passed my house.  We never got into the cars but just hung on the outside ladders.  I actually used it for free transportation.  The train went right by my Jr. High school and took me a mile and a half to my friends house.

And BTW, not one of us ever got hurt.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  WhoAmI   7 years ago

Your welcome WhoAmI, 

It's a great form of transportation for those of us that didn't have any other forms. Plus it was one hell of an adventure rolling along at 50 plus MPH.