╌>

WHERE IS GUAM? NORTH KOREA THREATENS ATTACK ON U.S. TERRITORY HOME TO 160,000 PEOPLE AND TWO MILITARY BASES

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  7 years ago  •  84 comments

WHERE IS GUAM? NORTH KOREA THREATENS ATTACK ON U.S. TERRITORY HOME TO 160,000 PEOPLE AND TWO MILITARY BASES

North Korea has threatened to “neutralize” the island of Guam, a U.S. territory in the Pacific home to 160,000 people,  a naval and an air base .

A spokesperson for the North Korean military's strategic missile defense branch was quoted in the state-controlled news agency KCNA Tuesday, saying the army was considering a plan to hit Guam with the ground-to-ground medium long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12, which was tested in May and  believed to be able to reach the U.S. territory , which lies around 2,100 miles away from Pyongyang.

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    7 years ago

The army official said the target would be the U.S. military bases, particularly the Andersen Air Force Base from where the U.S. bombers depart when  flying over the Korean peninsula,  and, once ready, “would be put into practice in a multi-concurrent and consecutive way any moment” North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un decided.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I have to agree that this is probably the one of the biggest turning points in contemporary history. Unlike the Iraqi war, this time, it does look like the threat is real and actually could actually lead to a catastrophic outcome. I am hoping that John Kelly has some cards up his hand and that Trump will listen to him. This is one scary situation. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I would temporarily appease Kim Jong Un.  He does not have an expansionist policy and is no threat to the US other than his nuclear capability.  Appease him for now until we can get a handle on the correct way to proceed in a permanent way. One way would be to perfect the anti-missile defense system which right now is only 50% accurate.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
link   ausmth  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I like the good cop bad cop that is being played out on Lil' Kim.  Talks are the goal of NOKO so they can get more concessions.  The problem is that they have gone to the well too many times and nothing short of getting rid of his missiles and nukes will work now.

Does Lil'Kim believe his own yes men or face reality?  I guess we will find out.

ps.  NT is growing on me.  I do miss the reply function that the vine had though.  As this site grows the staggered column response format will get unusable.  It happened on HP years ago.  I do like the chat function.  Big help!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Instead of covering this threat we are busy discussing whether or not Trump has two scoops of Ice Cream.

You, sad to say, cannot see the trees.

Trump's mental state is important to any issue facing the country on a national basis, including this one. The less credibility he has, the more chance there will be mistakes and misunderstandings as he spouts off about N. Korea.

People like you have presented us with the Trump problem through your words and actions during the election, and now you attempt to normalize him and thus perpetuate this farce farther into the future. Trump is not going to finish his term, he will either resign or be forced out. He is completely unqualified to be president of the United States. Better to get it over with now than prolong it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Here is what we have today. NK is not willing to give up it's nukes. They look at them as the only defense against the U.S. and other nations. They need those nukes with the current leadership to maintain their ''independence''...

Next the Chinese sent the U.S. a warning in 1950/51 not to invade NK. MacArthur ignored it and marched right up to the Yalu River and China true to it's word entered the war. MacArthur then wanted to use nuclear weapons on NK and Truman was thinking of doing it. a message from Mao said, ''drop a atomic bomb and kill thousands, we have hundreds of thousands''..(paraphrasing) They now have 1.4 billion and a very advanced army/navy/airforce. 

They do not want a united Korea with American troops stationed on their border and I'm sure that Russia doesn't either. 

This is a no win situation and the best bet now is for China to enforce the sanctions, as it would seem to be in their best interest in the long run.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Should read, ''drop nuclear weapons on CHINA not NK.''

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
link   livefreeordie  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

MacArthur did not want to nuclear bomb North Korea.  He wanted to nuke the Chinese troops positioned in Manchuria who were coming down and fighting against the US and UN troops.

MacArthur was right

"Truman found himself in a bind. Unwilling to risk all-out war with China, which he believed would draw in the Soviet Union as well, Truman had to take the brunt of public and political criticism for keeping the war in Korea limited. As the President saw it, total war in Korea could mean war with the Soviet Union. But limited war aims left him open to the charge that he was “soft on communism,” despite the successes of the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan in containing Soviet expansion in Europe. In this situation, Truman’s ratings in opinion polls took a nosedive.

However reluctant Truman was to fire him, MacArthur finally went too far. Hearing of a proposal drafted by Truman for a cease-fire agreement in Korea, MacArthur declared publicly on the morning of March 24, 1951, that if the United States would only choose to expand the war, it “would doom Red China to the risk of imminent military collapse.” On April 5, Republican House Minority Leader Joe Martin read a letter from MacArthur in the House chamber declaring, “There is no substitute for victory.” This letter intentionally torpedoed Truman’s cease-fire proposal, and the president was furious. As Truman later recalled the event, MacArthur had “prevented a cease-fire proposition right there. I was ready to kick him into the North China Sea at that time. I was never so put out in my life.”

Truman gave the order to replace MacArthur with the head of the Eighth Army, Lt. Gen. Matthew B. Ridgway, on April 11, 1951. “With deep regret,” he announced, “I have concluded that General of the Army Douglas MacArthur is unable to give his wholehearted support to the policies of the United States Government and of the United Nations in matters pertaining to his official duties.”

At first, the firing of MacArthur looked like a political disaster for Truman. The general returned to a hero’s welcome in the United States, including a ticker-tape parade in New York City larger than that given for Charles Lindbergh after he made the first solo transatlantic flight in 1927. Soon after he arrived home, MacArthur addressed a joint session of Congress, reminding his audience of the saying, “old soldiers never die, they just fade away.”

MacArthur requested that the Pentagon grant him a field commander's discretion to employ nuclear weapons as necessary. He wanted them stockpiled in Okinawa. He explained he would drop between 30 and 50 atomic bombs- strung across the neck of Manchuria, and spread behind us, from the Sea of Japan to the Yellow Sea-a belt of radioactive cobalt-for at least 60 years there would be no land invasion of Korea from the North. The Russians, he claimed, would be intimidated by this and do nothing. He continued to seek authority to deploy the bomb.

Chinese sent over 300,000 troops into North Korea to fight against the US and UN

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  livefreeordie   7 years ago

As you can see in my comment above yours I made the correction. I had inadvertently typed NK, later going back and correcting it to China. 

Here is a complete time line, reason and decisions on the nuclear bombing of China/Manchuria.

I don't believe that MacArthur was correct. Nor did Truman. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  livefreeordie   7 years ago

MacArthur did not want to nuclear bomb North Korea. 

True. He's actually a rather gentle soul, and is content to spend most of his time merely engaging in his hobby of photography. (No nuclear weapons for him!)

ausmth
Freshman Silent
link   ausmth  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

"This is a no win situation and the best bet now is for China to enforce the sanctions, as it would seem to be in their best interest in the long run."

Great point!  I can also see China changing leadership to someone that is more compliant to their wishes.  Watch your back Lil Kim.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Guam is sort of out in the middle of nowhere.  It's close to the Mariannes Islands, but a long way from the Philippines...  You can see where it was a good spot for a naval base in WWII.  Note: based on where it is, I bet it is a volcanic island...  But it may be an atoll, too.  (Not that anyone cares...)

Guam.JPG

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

OK, it's both.  Yay!  Limestone deposited on top of volcanic rocks in the northern half, pure volcano in the southern half...  I can tell you're all thrilled about this, but I was curious!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Good info Dowser thanks!

:~)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Yeah, I'm just so sure that everyone cares...  I just was curious!  The indigenous peoples built their homes on top of the limestone, that sort of weathered into "rafts" of limestone on top of the volcanic rocks.  I wish I could have seen that!  

ausmth
Freshman Silent
link   ausmth  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Hey Dowser,

It won't tip over in spite of what Rep Hank Johnson D-GA thinks.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  ausmth   7 years ago

A well educated representative. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  ausmth   7 years ago

That was definitely a strange episode.

He is a graduate of Texas Southern University's Law School so he is at least as well educated as the average Lone Star stater.

I've also seen Louis Gohmert, Michelle Bachmann, and Steve King say some odd things.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  ausmth   7 years ago

I don't know where the plates are in that area, but if it does, it will take millions of years-- plenty of time to move out and move on...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Way'll depending on where it is on the plate, Guam could be subducted and forced down into the mantle...  And I'm talking millions of years here.  The whole island change would undergo huge uplift until then.  I think we're talking about several different things.  

You can follow North America, if you go forward and then back...  Until then, you won't know which blob is us:

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

My son-in-law better hurry if he ever wants to see Guam again. He spent a lot of growing years on Guam because his dad was in the Air Force

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Way'll, depending on where it is on the plate, Guam could be subducted and forced down into the mantle...  And I'm talking millions of years here.  The whole island chain would undergo huge uplift until then.  I think we're talking about several different things.  

You can follow North America, if you go forward and then back...  Until then, you won't know which blob is us:

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  ausmth   7 years ago

Hank Johnson U.S. Representative for Georgia's 4th congressional district, serving since 2007. "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize" Johnson later said that he was joking that the island would capsize.

What a total fool-- he should've read Dowser's comments before shooting off his mouth!

(And I for one represent his remarks. The moron probably doesn't even know what the difference is between Sedimentary, Metamorphic, and Indigenous rocks is).

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I'm really surprised you didn't go with the name RockLady....too close to Elizabeth, I suppose?  :-)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Me?  I chose Dowser because I are one...  So to speak.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Yeah, You.  I know that, but you know more about rocks than anyone I know!  Plus, it was kind of a tonguetwister.....rocklady/rottlady....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I miss Rottlady...  What a shame she died!

Love you, Spike!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I like rocks....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Trout Giggles   7 years ago

Me, too!  winking

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

It's around a 7 hour flight from Hawaii...I was on that flight many times over the years Dowser. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

LOOONG way!  Finding it on the map was a breeze, because it was automatic, but I had to really pull out from the map to find something else!  Wasn't there a huge air/sea battle there in WWII?

Kavika
Professor Principal

Yes there was, the Japanese took the island and the Marines took in back in 1944.

There are still many bunkers, etc left over from the war on Guam. The last Japanese soldier on Guam surrender in 1972.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Egad!  I wonder if he felt that he was being loyal by not surrendering!  Surely, he got the word!

Kavika
Professor Principal

If I remember correctly, the last Japanese soldiers surrendered in the mid to late 70's in the Philippines.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

If I remember correctly, the last Japanese soldiers surrendered in the mid to late 70's in the Philippines.

The last active duty Japanese soldier in the Philippines was Lt. Hiroo Onoda, Imperial Japanese Army Intelligence Officer. He was ordered in 1944 to take a squad in to the jungle and organize behind the lines resistance. He surrendered in 1976, shortly after his last soldier died.  A reporter from a Japanese magazine found him.  In order to convince him to surrender, it required an order to do so direct from the Emperor and delivered by his former commanding officer who formally relieved him from duty.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Ttga a great read is ''Always Faithful'' by William Putney. It the story of the first Marine war dogs. They had extensive service on Guam...The book is accurate (Putney was the commanding officer of Dog Platoon) and a vet. 

The War Dog Memorial is on Guam and Putney has a major influence in it's establishment.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
link   Iamak47  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I think Gilligans Island did an episode about this laughing dude

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Iamak47   7 years ago

They did......

katlin02
Freshman Silent
link   katlin02  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

no really everyone has it all wrong...

20664099_1629455097088995_3510264360581539861_n.jpg

katlin02
Freshman Silent
link   katlin02  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

no really everyone has it all wrong...goofy

20664099_1629455097088995_3510264360581539861_n.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

A photo of the War Dog memorial and cemetery in Guam. 

Courage at the end of a leash.

If you have never been to Guam, it's mountainous, and heavy jungle. The conditions that the War Dogs endured while fighting and protecting is amazing. The Marines and especially Wlm. Putney deserve this honor. Semper Fi.

A interesting side note is that the Military were going to destroy the dogs after the war ended, stating that they could not be retrained to cope with civilian life. Wm. Putney stopped this and retrained over 500 war dogs back to civilian life. Only 4 were unable to be retrained. IMO, Wm Putney along with the dogs and all the men of the 2nd and 3rd Dog Platoons deserve all the honors bestowed on them.

091111-always-faithful.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

They certainly do deserve this honor!  Thanks for sharing this!!!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I think the cliché was 'Courage at both ends of the leash', which is very true.  And these folks, along with everyone that fought in WWII, especially the hellish Pacific campaigns deserve to be honored.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

Jus' thinkin': I bet those folks  who had decided not to buy that wonderful condo in Guam . . . are no longer regretting that decision . . .

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Back in the 80's the Japanese were buying up everything in sight in Guam, Krish.