╌>

Our Self-Serving Emperor Has No Clothes

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  93 comments

Our Self-Serving Emperor Has No Clothes

Last week I saw an article about Trump's obsessions. I seeded it here, to little or no effect as I recall. The article contained a graphic which displayed how many times President* Trump mentions the election , the vote, the electoral college , Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama in his interviews with media outlets.

Trump%2Bmentions%2BHillary.jpg

He mentions all of these items except "electoral" in 75% of his interviews.

I think it is a simple curioisity to wonder why this is, but we don't see this line of wonderment displayed all that much outside of op/eds by the usual (liberal) beltway media figures.

Where is the curiosity into this bizarre fact from "regular" Americans , even those who have supported Trump so far?

President* Trump is an empty shell of a leader. All his space is filled up with bloated self-concern. Trump knows better than anyone alive that he is drastically unqualified to lead our nation, and the truth is he never intended to win. He was always out to advertise his "brand", but the marks bought the con and he ended up "succeeding" in an unintended way.

He keeps bringing up Obama, Clinton, and the election all the time, even 10 months later, because he has nothing else to say. Listen to him talk for five minutes about a major issue of our day and....... oh wait a minute , he has never talked for 5 minutes about a major issue of our day without bringing up his obsessions seen in the graph, (unless someone has written down for him what he is supposed to say) because he doesn't know anything about the great issues of our day. He doesn't know anything about the not so great issues of our day either.  Any time Trump speaks on a subject for more than a few sentences he starts making numerous factual mistakes.

He thinks he can invent reality, probably based on his position as the head of a family business that has been very good at making money, even if often in unethical or even immoral ways.

When are the American people going to realize there is no there there?

What frightening things are in our future as Trump stumbles along pretending to have a competency that is non existent? 

For all the crying from the right and other Trump supporters about him not being treated fairly, the opposite is true. The media have gone far too easy on him for over two years. He should have been laughed out of the race a half hour after he rode down that escalator and announced his candidacy in front of a crowd of people who were paid to be there.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

We are all the chumps.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Last week I saw an article about Trump's obsessions. I seeded it here, to little or no effect as I recall. 

Little response from who, Donald Trump? I don't think he reads NewsTalkers.

I think you got little response because this place is overpopulated by Right Wingers, they know he is an asshole and don't want to talk about it.

The rest of us also know he is an asshole, and are getting tired of talking about it.

What we need is more Left minded people on this site. Newsvine is overpopulated by Left Wingers and Newsvine closing down as of October 1. It would be good if you and other NTer's would join in the effort to recruit some of the many Newsvine progressives that will soon need a new home. It could mean getting a better response on your articles.

At this time there are active efforts coming from some Viners to recruit people to join other sites, we need to take advantage of that effort, as NV has suspended it's objection to mentioning or recruiting to other sites. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

Looking in from outside I really have to laugh at your statement that conservatives outnumber liberals on this site.  The conservatives here see it differently, and so do I.  The conservatives are far outnumbered, and what's more concerning is that moderators are mostly left as well.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

That probably says more about how we label each other, than any real repartition. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Maybe "fire" and "fury" will be his new catch words.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Or ''locked and loaded''

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

trump himself said "Words don't matter much to me, deeds are what matters".

In other words "I'll say whatever I want to get whatever I want."

So true !

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I do not feel safe, in any way, with him in the White House.  Actively worried would be more like it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Ever since the election, it's been in the back of my mind that my son will be eligible for the draft in less than 5 years, and we have a POTUS who actively seeks out and relishes conflict.  Will we be at war in 5 years?  Will it be bad enough to reinstate the draft?  I honestly don't know, but it scares the hell out of me.

And right now, I'm really, really glad we don't live on the West Coast.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

I can only agree!  My son is 18.  So glad I live in KY where there isn't much to bomb...  Ft. Knox, but who would want to radiate the gold supply?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

We live close enough to DC that there's some danger in the proximity, but we wouldn't be right in a target zone, thank goodness.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

I looked up likely targets, and Louisville is listed, although I can't imagine why...  We'll either be dead, or wish we were...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

If we get passed this with no war, it'll be no thanks to him and his big mouth. And now he is talking about military options against Venezuela!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

We were at war during the entire Obama administration and he accomplished nothing other than getting our troops killed. More died in Afghanistan under Obamas lack of leadership than under Bush. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Who got us into those wars, Dean?

As lousy a President as Bush was, I don't think even he sought out war just for the sake of being belligerent.  He seemed to see the value of diplomacy first, and war as a failure of diplomacy.  Trump sees diplomacy as weakness.  Combine that with his need for drama and "ratings" and to be seen as virile, and he's a powderkeg.

I don't trust him not to start a war just to stroke his own ego.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

I don't trust him not to start a war just to stroke his own ego.

Or to pump up his "ratings" and to try to draw attention away from Russia.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Dean, Donald Trump doesn't know anything. That is why he brings up the election, Hillary and Obama all the time. He is filling time. That is also why he constantly repeats himself. He is filling time with inanities to disguise his  astonishing lack of knowing what the hell he is doing.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

More died in Afghanistan under Obamas lack of leadership than under Bush. 

That has got to be the most stupid politically oriented comments I have ever seen posted on this site.

How many boosts were on the ground, and how many combat situations were undertaken in each case, would determine how many troops we lost, not who was the occupying the oval office at the time 

Somehow you have got to get your head out of thinking of everything in political terms. Your almost radical right wing ideology seems to cause you to think outside of reality.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

That's right Jerry Obamas infamous troop surge was a total failure. 

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

That's why it is an unnecessary war.

All wars are unnecessary.

It will be a war that Trump wanted to start.

If Trumps actually caused a war to start, it would be just what the U.S. Congress needs to impeach him ....and he knows it.

Also I  don't believe that any missiles that NK fires first will be nuclear, ....

I don't believe NK has the capability to successfully launch a nuclear loaded missile that could reach Guam. It would have to go into space and they don't have the tech to bring it back into the atmosphere without it burning up.

but Trump will respond with them.

If Jong-un fires a missile at any U.S. territory .... he better respond to them.

I cannot believe that you are of the opinion that anyone including Pres. Trump would want a nuclear war?

Believe it.

The only thing to believe is that Randy believes Trump would start a nuclear war. But he's wrong. Trump may not be functionally with full deck, but he's not going to start a nuclear war. 

Jong-un does not have the capability to launch a nuke, and Congress and the Pentagon will take the Button away from Trump if he seems to be moving off the deep end.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

Congress and the Pentagon will take the Button away from Trump if he seems to be moving off the deep end.

The Pentagon seems to be ignoring him on some things already. Such as the Transsexual ban and moving the aircraft carrier to off the coast of NK when actually they were headed in the other direction for planned exercises. It is a sad thing to have to say in a Democracy where we are supposed to have civilians controlling the military, but I think that if he orders a preemptive nuclear strike anywhere in the world the DoD will refuse to do it. Then again that would be civilian control since James Mattis is a civilian now.

The Congress and the Stock Market are pretty much ignoring him also.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I do not feel safe, in any way, with him in the White House.  Actively worried would be more like it.

I agree. I used to worry what kind of trouble George W. could get us into, but this guy has me feeling like I live inside a lions cage.

Before the election ended I often asked what would happen if Trump got elected and started dumping his stupidity on Kim Jong-Un. 

Well, guess what.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

The fact that Donald Trump is an idiot has been obvious to everyone for a long time. Here's what Karl Rove had to say about him in 2015:

"I do think there are sort of three tiers of candidates. There are three candidates who, in reverse alphabetical order, Walker, Rubio, Bush, or alphabetical order, Bush, Rubio, Walker, or inside out order, Rubio, Walker, Bush, or Rubio Bush, Walker – that’s the top tier. We’re likely to see the nominee come out of that group.

We have a second tier which includes people like Ted Cruz and Governor [Rick] Perry and Ben Carson and maybe a couple of others. And one or two, you know, one or, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum. Maybe one of those gets into the top tier. But right now they’re on the second tier.

And then we’ve got sort of the third tier which are people who really are unlikely to break through. They’re good people, some of them, but they’re unlikely to break through. Or, in the case of Donald Trump, they’re complete idiots."

What's scarier is the mass of idiots that put him in the White House.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

What's scarier is the mass of idiots that put him in the White House.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

They're all your fellow Americans. LOL

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

You know, Kim, was told to put away his missile testing and plans like a good boy.  He hasn't.  He is defying the U.N. with an "in your face" attitude.  Been doing this, but along bops in Pres. Trump who can't seem to keep his mouth shut. 

Now, since NK has threatened Guam and plans on setting off missiles in their direction what do you think the U.S. should do?  What if the missiles aren't intercepted and they land on Guam? 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Now, since NK has threatened Guam and plans on setting off missiles in their direction what do you think the U.S. should do?  What if the missiles aren't intercepted and they land on Guam?  

A preemptive strike by the United States would be catastrophic, in terms of both allied support, and lives lost.  Someone needs to lock Trump in a closet without his farking phone.  However, if missiles are launched, and regardless of the fact that they would be destroyed before ever reaching Guam, then Kim Jong-un's regime needs to be removed from the face of the planet by any means necessary. 

In other news, Trump is now threatening Venezuela with military action.  The man has got to go, and we, as a nation, don't have time to wait until 2020.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

The man has got to go, and we, as a nation, don't have time to wait until 2020.

If we don't get Trump out of the White House there may not be a 2020.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

This isn't specific to Trump. 

Our conservative / alt-right friends all do the same thing

They have no policy propositions, but as the party in power, they are expected to... you know... govern. Create policy. Make laws. But they have no ideas, only slogans, which get very stale, very quickly. 

So... To camouflage their lack of ideas, they spout off about Hillary and Obama. And they applaud each other. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

I didn't sprout off about either one, so, pls respond to me.

What should the U.S. do if missiles are aimed towards Guam?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

I believe that Trump is doing everything he can to force Un to respond with some sort of military actions. He is doing everything he can to box Un into a corner that does not give him a face saving way out. Trump needs to be working to de-escalate this and instead is doing everything he can to make it worse. If they do something like firing on Guam, then Trump will get his wish and his excuse to launch an unnecessary war. We will be forced to respond militarily and from there it is anyone's guess how many people will die.

Trump will get his distraction and that's what he is playing for.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Randy,

I believe that Trump is doing everything he can to force Un to respond with some sort of military actions.

You're being too generous. This is just pouty-baby making noise to get attention from all those people who spend their lives making ga-ga eyes at him. He may say something about North Korea or he may say something about Mitch McConnel. It's all the same to him... just makin' noise, oblivious to consequences.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

...... just makin' noise, oblivious to consequences.

The 'noise' this President is making could bring all of us to some very unintended and dangerous consequences.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Not that he gives a damn. Trump is itching for a war.

This is just pouty-baby making noise to get attention from all those people who spend their lives making ga-ga eyes at him.

He and his blind worshipers are both great at both.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

The term is "spout off". It's supposed to recall a geyser...

I don't know. I'm neither the commander-in-chief, nor the idiot who keeps poking a stick into the hornets' nest. Ask him... I'm sure he has a carefully thought-out strategy...  *  width= 48

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Shoot them down, and plant a couple of missiles in the center of Pyongyang.  

Even if NK tries to land 25 miles off the Guam shore, their accuracy level cannot guarantee they will not inadvertently hit land.

Jong-un is delusional, but I'm sure he knows he cannot tangle with the U.S., especially with China saying they will stand down if he starts something with us.   

The bottom line is, Guam is a U.S. Territory and no one in this world, not Jong-un, not Putin or not Xi Jinping, is foolish enough to take us on.

Jong-un is not going to fire any missiles at Guam.

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

I take it you live in either Seoul or Guam ?

LOL

OR is it Neither Seoul or Guam ! 

That would make more sense eh ?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

OR is it Neither Seoul or Guam !

No, I do not live in Seoul or Guam, but I would not be under any fear if I did. 

I was brought up under the fear of a confrontation with Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union. We used to have bombing drills and had to hide under our desk (to hide from a nuclear blast .... yeah, we were safe) Even as a kid I knew the Soviets were never going to start a war, the whole 'cold war' thing was a hoax, designed to convince the people we needed to spend money (much money) to keep our Industrial/Military enterprise financed. 

I was 6 years old the day Franklin Roosevelt died, I've been here and have done this......

.....let them play their nuclear chess games, nobody is going to start the nuclear annihilation of the world.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Jong-un is not going to fire any missiles at Guam.

But that won't stop Trump from trying to taunt him into to it.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

But that won't stop Trump from trying to taunt him into to it.

No, it won't. Trump is a bully, and like most bullies he knows the guy he is picking on is harmless. 

Jong-un is not going to endeavor to have his country annihilated, and Trump is acting like a bully to make himself look good.

Trump is trying to convince us that Jong-un is a threat, then he is going to claim that he was able to keep him under control and was singularly capable of saving the world from a nuclear war. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet

You really think his wish is to have NK attack Guam?  And, you believe that if they attack Guan it is an unnecessary war?

Who is the aggressor then?  NK or the U.S.?

I read tonight where Homeland Security on Guam issued a two page alert for its citizens.  I actually cried.  This should not be happening.  NK and NK alone has the burden of placing undue hardship and pain on the people of Guam.

I cannot believe that you are of the opinion that anyone including Pres. Trump would want a nuclear war?

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I do think he wants Kim Jung Un to respond with some kind of military actions, be it Guam or elsewhere and that would make Trump the aggressor for doing everything he can to goad Un into it when he doesn't need to. That's why it is an unnecessary war. It will be a war that Trump wanted to start. Also I  don't believe that any missiles that NK fires first will be nuclear, but Trump will respond with them.

Believe it.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet

No, sir.  It is lose/lose all the way.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It would be terrible for both sides, but since it would not involve the U.S. mainland Trump wouldn't give a damn. Trump is drooling for a war, even a nuclear one.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

The problem for the US is the potential reaction of China.  NK can't do us a lot of harm, but China certainly can, and they're not going to let a strike against NK pass.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

"...and they're not going to let a strike against NK pass."

UNLESS NK initiates it with a first strike.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

"Trump is drooling for a war,....."

Trump is drooling to be a dictator. Actually, he thinks he can act like a company CEO and dictate how to run the country.

We need to be careful with an egomaniac in the oval office. The German Weimer Republic was a democracy when Hitler started his political career.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Trump is drooling to be a dictator. Actually, he thinks he can act like a company CEO and dictate how to run the country.

He is proof that those who say that America should be run like a business are wrong. A nation is not a business and to try to run one like one is absurd foolishness.

We need to be careful with an egomaniac in the oval office. The German Weimer Republic was a democracy when Hitler started his political career.

A warning all Americans should heed.

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

I'm reading a very interesting article written by someone (an american I think) who got to visit N Korea a few years ago in some sort of "Visitor" program.  So far, Interesting stuff. 

Here's a link: