╌>

Bow Hunting Oddness

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  dave-2693993  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

Bow Hunting Oddness

It had a light weight bow several decades ago.  A light weight 65# Browning recurve. My dad and I took positions several hundred  yards from each other. 

I found a fallen tree that fallen across a tree that fell across a stream my dad like to trout fish in during spring time. So I climbed up it and walked to the center and waited for a deer to show up. One finally did. There was an obvious trail.

I started to raise and draw the bow and the deer turned and looked straight at me.  I froze. This happened several times.  My arm was getting more and more tired. I finally completely drew the bow and released the arrow.  

The arrow vanished in a rustling of tree branches. The deer took off.  No blood sign.

I spent a couple hours trying to find my arrow.  When my father arrived he looked as well.  We finally gave up..

My arrow was decorated for autumn conditions.

Later that spring, my father went trout fishing there and sure as the word he saw my arrow standing out among all the green vegetation.

It had hit a tree branch, probably 2" in diameter.  I could not have done that if I tried.  Got my arrow back.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Practice makes perfect dave. 

You could have changed the story a bit and said that you decided not to shoot the deer at the last moment and instead aimed at a small tree (more of a branch then a tree). It was at least 300 years away but as skilled as I was, I hit the tree that I aimed for. My best shot ever. 

You do not get fined for embellishing a story just a tad. winking  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

The arrow was on a perfect flight, then just a rustling of branches and it was gone. So was the deer. I couldn't have hit that branch if I tried.

I usually hunt with my  .50 cal black powder Hawkin rifle or .45 cal Ruger ROA. Where I live I really don't need my long range .264 Win mag.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993   7 years ago

Good story dave, I'm sure that many a hunter can relate to it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet

BTW,  in my bolt action rifles, I never put more than 1 round in the chamber.  Something I learned as a child and stayed with it.

What's the old saying? One round and down.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet

BTW,  family of USMC "Snipers". No M1s. Only 1903 Springfiields.  My uncles felt terrible about their mission at Guadal Canal'. Yet the 2 of them took out the command and control of the opposition.

To them,  the targets were sitting ducks. Kind of like to me I can hit at a very long range. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet

That's a hell of a shot.

My longest hit with my .44 mag was 175 yds. The guys I was with said BS. How did you do that?

I have also hit quail at that distance with my ,22 cal Marlin M39s. An A and M model using the high end CCI  mini mags and Williams Foolproof receiver sights.  I have actually brought down white tail with my 39M with a well placed shot behind the ear.

On rainy days I don't use black powder. I will typically use an 1891 Mauser and my .44 mag. The Mauser and Hawkin have ballistics similar to a 30-30.  Either way I am able to take a white tail or boar down.