╌>

Do you think I should have an ethical delema?

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  11 comments

Do you think I should have an ethical delema?

I have just put on one of my favorite rock opera films of that category of all time, Jesus Christ Superstar. Now of course I am what's known as a strong atheist. That means that I know that there is no god, but please don't comment about that. I jut happen to love the music and pageantry and production of the film itself. I also feel the same about the film God-spell. Fantastic production and music! Still I remember that I thought I was "saved" at one time when I was in the Ar Force when I became involved with a branch of the "Youth for Christ" movement. I also remember that I loaned my album copy of "Jesus Christ Superstar" to member o the youth church I was trying to join and when I asked for it back he said he could not give it to me because he had given it to the movement. Then they asked for the keys to my car to be used by the church. Of course they would see that I got back and forth to work out at the Air Base, which would be easy because they also said I should give up my apartment and move into their group home.

As many here also know I love to take photos of churches and cathedrals. I think of e faith and effort that went into the very hard work of building them, while the people building them lived in what had to be poverty. I had a discussion with one of my religious sisters who told me that my love of these musicals and cathedrals is god calling to me, but those are the words of someone who think she is trying to bring me back to her version of some sort of worship. I don't see it that way. Why can't people just admire religious music and movies and even Gospel music and the music of preaching, without being expected to have it mean you are secretly religious. I also love the music and visual imagery of the occasional Catholic Mass. I think that as to do with my childhood more then anything else.

I am an atheist, but I love some music and movies and even preaching to listen to. Why do others insist this means I am subconsciously trying to come back to a faith in a creature that I already know does not exist. Perhaps I should just enjoy these things quietly while alone?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

I also love the music and visual imagery of the occasional Catholic Mass. I think that as to do with my childhood more then anything else.

Please and red box rules, this is not about atheism. It is about enjoying the things of  cult or religion that you do not believe in yourself. Must a person be a Christian to love to hear and love to hear "Hallelujah" every once in awhile?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

It's all good. I love the Ullr fest party in Breckenridge but don't believe in Ullr. 

IMG_0462.JPG

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Excellent point!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Well, I was born an atheist but kept my god given name of Hal A. Lujah.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   Wheel    7 years ago

Dilemma.

I'm atheist too.  When I was a teenager the music from JCSS was playing on the radio all the time.

I Don't Know How to Love Him.  One of the great torch songs of all time.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Wheel   7 years ago

I Don't Know How to Love Him.  One of the great torch songs of all time.

It was and still is. Different people hear it in different ways.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing    7 years ago

Why would you have an ethical dilemma? There is nothing wrong in enjoying beautiful artwork, or music that moves you, no matter what it is intended to represent. It is up to the individual to appreciate what they see or hear in their own way.

Just my own thoughts on it. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I agree with you.