╌>

The Alternative to Nuclear War Is a Revolution

Category:  World News

Via:  harryh  •  7 years ago  •  15 comments

The Alternative to Nuclear War Is a Revolution

The most depressing aspect of the current North Korean crisis is that even if Donald Trump wins, he loses.

Despite doubling down on his rhetoric of "fire and fury" and deriding his predecessors for failed negotiations, Trump looks like he wants to eventually strike a deal with the nation’s tyrant, Kim Jong Un. Just look at what Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is doing. Trump threatens war and Tillerson promises no regime change. Remember it was only a few months ago that Trump said he would be honored to meet with Kim. The president's recent bellicosity aims for deterrence and leverage. 

In substance, if not style, this is very similar to how past administrations have approached the Hermit Kingdom: threaten, cajole and bargain. "This is Obama plus," Michael Auslin, a Korea expert at the Hoover Institution, told me. "It's the same path of enhanced sanctions with the potential carrot of direct negotiations and trying to reassure our allies. There is not much different here."

And it's easy to understand why talks are better than war. The prospect of a military confrontation  is too horrific . North Korea effectively holds its neighbor to the south as a hostage because of its conventional military capabilities. This says nothing of allies like Japan, or U.S. forces stationed on the peninsula.

And the critics of war are correct. A pre-emptive strike is not worth the risk. But neither is another deal.

Read more at Bloomberg View.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.    7 years ago

It is a notable suggestion if we assume that Kim Jong Un cares about his fellow North Koreans over his own regime.

Which furthers begs the question... is North Korea’s Military and Nuclear programs in place to protect the North Koreans, or the Regime?

As to the people overthrowing the current regime... one of the features of that current regime and Kim himself, has been the ability to snuff out and crush any dissent, including within his own family. If you can mercilessly execute those that raised you, just to maintain power, what other actions would be feasible to retain power?

Then there is this ditty, to further promote the idea of an overthrow...

This effort should also include workshops for North Korean defectors on nonviolent conflict, similar to the training the U.S. State Department provided to Serbs before their citizens organized the ouster of Slobodan Milosevic in 2000.

Did Milosevic have the size of the North Korean military, equipped with missiles and a growing nuclear capability? Did Milosevic ruthlessly eradicate his military of dissenters? If Milosevic had the above and saw the end of his rule approaching... what would have been his reaction? Would he have cared one iota about the impact on his citizens?

Supposedly, it would be difficult to negotiate with North Korea, as they tend to lie. Somehow the word of the U.S. is to be trusted, given its many lies.

We need to understand and prepare for a North Korean regime remaining in place with nuclear capability. The world needs to prepare as well.

While "revolution" might seem reasonable and an acceptable alternative to you and me, it is predicated on pretending Kim Jong Il thinks like you or me.  

As for the accusations of appeasement, who has been appeasing whom?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

IMO the comparison to Serbia is not applicable.

The current regime will not give up power, they have no concern for the people of NK,  their only concern is  in maintaining their power. 

Even the best decision regarding NK is a poor decision.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I would throw money at him.   1 trillion dollars to allow international experts come in and dismantle your nuclear capability.  Oh, and hold free elections within the next year. Turn North Korea capitalist and make them successful. The world is corrupt already, what's one more?

I would deter N Korea copycats by telling them when they reach "x" stage in nuclear development their regime will be annihilated.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I doubt lil Kim would take the bribe to give up his power over that nation. He is already worth appx 5 billion.  

HIS people are so brainwashed against us, one bomb dropped and all his brainwashing pays off , those people will do or give him anything not to be invaded and made our slaves like they have been brainwashed to believe is about to happen... One Bomb and all those lies become a reality to the people of N Korea. 

So, we have a catch 22 situation, we're screwed no matter what we do.

Personally I think the execution of LIl Kim may have been the answer but that is against our law to execute a  leader of a foreign country, I believe it also may be against the Geneva convention. 

Now, we have two nuclear armed megalomaniacs in a standoff while the world watches. NOT GOOD !

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

A free election would mean nothing there.  The NK citizenry has no information about the world in general, and they think that they've got it pretty good compared to hell holes like the evil USA.  They favor the regime.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Then give them all free internet. That should solve that problem.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

"Then give them all free internet."

Would it surprise you if they didn't want it ?

It wouldn't surprise me. N Koreans have been brainwashed since their youth. That won't be easily overcome, look at ISIS  and their crazy radical ideology. as an example. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

That would require a regime change in itself.