╌>

Yes, This is Racism

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  calbab  •  7 years ago  •  37 comments

Yes, This is Racism

August 13, 2017  by

When you move that far right, past humanity, past decency, past goodness—you’re something else.

As a writer and pastor, my job is to weave together words so that those words will hopefully reach people in their deepest places; to frame the experience of this life in a way that is somehow compelling or creative or interesting, causing them to engage with the world differently than before.

But there are times when to do this would actually be a disservice to reality, when any clever wordplay would only soften the jagged, sickening truth; when clever turns of phrase might succeed in obscuring the horrid ugliness in front of us.

What we’ve watched unfolding in Charlottesville, with hundreds of white people bearing torches and chanting about the value of white lives and shouting slurs, is not a “far Right” protest.

You’re not a supremacist, you’re not a nationalist, and you’re not alt-Right.

This is racism.

This is domestic terrorism.

This is religious extremism.

This is bigotry.

It is blind hatred of the most vile kind.

It doesn’t represent America.

It doesn’t represent Jesus.

It doesn’t speak for the majority of white Americans.

It’s a cancerous, terrible, putrid sickness that represents the absolute worst of who we are.

No, naming it won’t change it, but naming it is necessary nonetheless. It’s necessary for us to say it—especially when the media won’t, when our elected leaders won’t, when our President won’t. It’s necessary to condemn it so that we do not become complicit in it.

White people especially need to name racism in this hour, because somewhere in that crowd of sweaty, dead-eyed, raw throated white men—are our brothers and cousins and husbands and fathers and children; those we go to church with and see at Little League and in our neighborhoods. They need to be made accountable by those they deem their “own kind.” They need to know that this is not who we are, that we don’t bless or support or respect this. They need white faces speaking directly into their white faces, loudly on behalf of love.  More.

White supremacists carrying torches surround church during alt-right rally

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB    7 years ago

This is racism, plain and simple y'all!  It is high time we hear voices like Pastor

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  CB   7 years ago

100% spot on! Yes, this is racism!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

Bravo for a good sermon, Pastor, and a good seed, Calbab.

Now... will we see anything similar from the Christianity Today folks??

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

I am not familiar with this site, however, on their homepage (today) there are two links to strongly worded articles supporting the quelling of racism and the Alt-Right. Good on them! Here is a link to one story:

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  CB   7 years ago

Good article. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

''So you can kiss our diverse, unified, multi-colored behinds because your racism and your terrorism will not win the day.

Believe it.''

To this you can add my royal red Indian ass.

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Okay! Kavika, may I know who your quote is from?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  CB   7 years ago

It's from me Calbab...And it's meant to join the quote above it as an addition.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kavika - I think perhaps if we had a picture ( royal red ass ) to go with the quote it would be helpful.  devil

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  PJ   7 years ago

This is the only glance your going to get. I'm pushing the terms of service for the site..No Swooning

Image result for photos of sexy native american men

CB
Professor Principal

Okay! If I have to be the one to stand up for the silence in the room. Here goes:  Es Rico!

Kavika
Professor Principal

LOL, delicious huh calbab.

Rico Sauve

CB
Professor Principal

Thank you for a moment of. . . disturbing,. . .distraction. We'll need you to leave that up for the duration. Okay? Now then, where were we?

Kavika
Professor Principal

The last time I checked you were drooling calbab...Laugh

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  My kingdom for that blanket he's holding.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

LOL pete and repeter sister.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Hahahahaha - You got that right Sister!  

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I looked like that once.*

*in a dream I had

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Actually that is a photo of me as a much younger man, much much younger. About a century ago....True story.

CB
Professor Principal

Amazing!  Just. . .awesome.

CB
Professor Principal

08/14/17 08:05:24 AM  "So you can kiss our diverse, unified, multi-colored behinds because your racism and your terrorism will not win the day/" ''Believe it.''

Kavika, I ain't trying to start anything but, DONALD'S AT IT AGAIN!!

CB
Professor Principal

So you can kiss our diverse, unified, multi-colored behinds because your racism and your terrorism will not win the day. —

Thank you, Kavika. I lend myself to this cause also!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  CB   7 years ago

Me, too!

Kavika
Professor Principal

Thanks Calbab and Dowser.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!    7 years ago

@calbab: But there are times when to do this would actually be a disservice to reality, when any clever wordplay would only soften the jagged, sickening truth; when clever turns of phrase might succeed in obscuring the horrid ugliness in front of us.

Figurative expression:

Wikipedia:  To "call a spade a spade" is a figurative expression which refers to calling something "as it is", that is, by its right or proper name, without "beating about the bush"—being outspoken about it, truthfully, frankly, and directly, even to the point of being blunt or rude, and even if the subject is considered coarse, ...

Sometimes it's best to drop the "clever wordplay".  

Sometimes it's best to not use the "Figurative expressions."

Sometimes ...

... most of the time it is best to speak truth plainly and unambiguously so that it will be clearly understood by all.

All people of all colors must reject racism at all times.  Racists are evil!

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

So true. So important. So relevant.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

applause       applause       applause       applause       applause

CB
Professor Principal

Okay! President Trump after much coaxing finally called out the Alt-right racists this morning. Do you think he means it? And more to this article, how about the church? Has the evangelical-right conservatives finally called for separation from pure bigotry such as the Alt-Right is?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Man in Hostage Video Forced to Recite Words Not His Own 

A disturbing hostage video surfaced on Monday showing an American man woodenly reciting words that were not his own.

The video, which was broadcast on all the major news networks, raised concerns for the man, whose robotic performance indicated that he was reading a prepared statement under duress.

While the man appeared well fed and, to a certain extent, healthy, his facial expressions and body language convinced experts that the act of reciting the prepared text was an extraordinary ordeal for him.

Harland Dorrinson, a forensic psychologist, compared the man’s performance with hours of earlier footage of him and said that the man had “never expressed these sentiments before.”

“He did not seem to understand what he was saying,” the psychologist said. “At times, he appeared to be reading these words phonetically.”

Additionally, Dorrinson said, the man’s speech patterns in the hostage video were strikingly different from those in earlier videos of him. “From the moment he began speaking, the subjects in his sentences agreed with the verbs,” he said. “That set off alarm bells.”

Borowitz Report

CB
Professor Principal

President Trump is at it again today! It is hard to tell what it is with this man. Is it his life of being an unmolested thinker? Is it his money? Could it be a lifetime of privilege? He simply refuses steering into any mode of the presidency that looks, well, normal.

Humility is not in "the Donald."

It is reported that on last Friday and Saturday, the Alt-Right and other affiliated white radical group, showed up with weapons, and get this: A former congressman last night in an interview discussed water bottles containing a mixture of pepper spray and mace were being flung on people!

Say what you will, but keep your hands (and water) to yourself!!

>>>

NEXT: What, if anything, do you know about ANTIFA?

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    7 years ago

Trump rarely understands what is being said or what he is reading.

It has been fairly well confirmed that Trump's essentially illiterate.

I thought this video was pretty interesting when it released, and it only seems to have been further confirmed since then.

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Pedro   7 years ago

I'm speechless too, now!

CB
Professor Principal

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump verbally exposed himself as a defender of bigotry. Today, his presidency implosion begins in earnest. The defections are underway. . . .

CB
Professor Principal

President Trump's shame! See it for yourself in its entirety!!

Charlottesville: Race and Terror – VICE News Tonight on HBO

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  CB   7 years ago

1. Did you notice the main white nationalist in this video is behaving and possibly playing the role of "victim"?

2. Did you notice the main white nationalist in this video is loaded down with guns and a bullet-proof vest?

3. Who is attempting to mislead who?

CB
Professor Principal

MORE! (Must see!)

Neo-Nazi Christopher Cantwell Cries After Learning He’s Wanted For Arrest

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Great catch, calbab!

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 02:14:52AM @ bob-nelson.

Is this man for real? I see him being certainly tender-hearted and honestly I think this is someone who makes me go "hmm."