╌>

Durham protesters topple Confederate statue outside courthouse | myfox8.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  14 comments

Durham protesters topple Confederate statue outside courthouse | myfox8.com

Article Photo

A group of anti-white supremacy protesters tore down a Confederate monument Monday during a rally outside a North Carolina courthouse.

Amid chants of “No KKK, no fascist USA,” the group used a ladder and rope to pull down the monument. Several protestors then kicked and spit on the twisted statue as the crowd cheered, according to WNCN.

(Hat tip: Wheel)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

Amid chants of “No KKK, no fascist USA,” the group used a ladder and rope to pull down the monument. Several protestors then kicked and spit on the twisted statue as the crowd cheered, according to WNCN.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

I saw the video of them tearing it down, kicking it and spitting on it. One more down and many more to go! Wipe them all out!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Vandals are criminals. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

They had no right to do this vandalism and hope they are arrested.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

They had no right to do this vandalism and hope they are arrested.

Well, "shit happens"!

A towering statue of Saddam Hussein was pulled to the ground on Wednesday (April 9) in a symbolic act against the dictator's oppressive regime. Working together in the heart of Baghdad, US marines helped crowds of Iraqi men bring down the imposing monument on the day the city's population celebrated its liberation. The scenes were reminiscent of the fall of the Berlin Wall, brought down by citizens of another oppressed city,

Hundreds of civilians gathered around cheering, running over and swamping the huge statue as it lay in the central Shahid Square .

Scores of men pulled off their shoes, using them to beat the fallen statue - one of the biggest insults in the Arab world. Raising their hands in delight, men scrambled to join those dancing and jumping up and down on the enormous figure.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Just looked on a Raleigh news site.  So far one of the asshats that tore it down has been arrested.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Good news. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

I hope they charge them.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Irrelevant. For many obvious reasons.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

"They had no right to do this vandalism and hope they are arrested."

I agree.  Noting like acting like the Nazi's during WW2 and ISIS now.  It offended them so they should tear it down?  Pretty childish behavior.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Well, they will be arrested by the County. 

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
link   The Old Breed Marine    7 years ago

Let me know when they get the guts to attack something other than an inanimate statue. IF I ever found myself offended by an old statue, commemorating something that happened 150 years ago, I'd never admit it in front of another person, because it would make me feel as weak as a little school girl.

Just wait until they want to destroy Mount Rushmore, or Columbia, SC's state building, or the Washington monument.

Their strength of will doesn't match their mouths, and one day, the rest of the country will get pissed, and then, it will be too late to stop the carnage, and when it's over, we will build statues to the people that eliminated this scourge, and there won't be anyone "Left" that wants to destroy statues.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  The Old Breed Marine   7 years ago

we will build statues to the people that eliminated this scourge

Actually what I find very ironic is this: These monuments glorifying Confederate soldiers and especially their leaders are glorifying people whom led an armed insurrection against the United States of America. 

And yet, we continue to have monuments glorifying the deeds of people who committed treason.

Why?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Drag the thing to a museum or a cemetery where it belongs. The very idea of having a public statute commemorating an effort to preserve slavery is a disgrace.