╌>

Does the "alt-right" have any value to America?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  5 comments

Does the "alt-right" have any value to America?

The alt-right has gained fame and some influence , it seems, by beating the drum for white nationalism, economic nationalism, obvious bigotry, etc

Alt-right  beliefs  have been described as isolationist protectionist antisemitic , and white supremacist,  frequently overlapping with  Neo Nazism ,   nativism  and  Islamophobia ,   antifeminism  and  homophobia ,   right-wing populism ,  and the  neoreactionary movement . The concept has further been associated with multiple groups from  American nationalists , neo- monarchists men's rights advocates , and the  2016 presidential campaign  of  Donald Trump .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

What, if anything, does the alt-right bring to the table of American hopes and dreams for the future? We know that they are essentially a fringe that will never achieve majority status. Will they destroy the country in order to express their views? 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Neo Nazism ,   nativism  and  Islamophobia ,   antifeminism  and  homophobia ,   right-wing populism ,  and the  neoreactionary movement .

Is that a political platform? 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

It depends on how you define "value", of course.

If you want all those uppity brown people put in their place, then the alt-right is working diligently.

Otherwise... ... ... no... I don't see any "value".

Neo Nazism, nativism and Islamophobia, antifeminism and homophobia, right-wing populism, and the neoreactionary movement.

Is that a political platform? 

To be fair... the alt-right is too incompetent to assemble a "platform".

They have "accomplished" nothing, because they have no ideas. There have no policy proposals. None.

What policy on immigration? A bungled ban on Muslims entering the country? What else? 

What policy on antifeminism? I mean... We know his Faithful want a submissive wife chained to her stove... but what bills has Trump drafted?

... and so on...

True, the Trump Administration is rolling back many of the advances the American people acquired during the Obama Administration... but this is surely not an answer to "American hopes and dreams for the future". 

Selling Federal Park land to loggers and miners is good for... someone... but probably not for everyone...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

I think that at first the "alt right" was a fun activity for young white guys who like to pontificate to one another on obscure (to the general public) web sites. It was a way to humiliate women, immigrants and racial minorities in a lively and at times pseudo intellectual way. It was "fun". (in their experience) . With the advent of Trump it took on an entirely different level of influence. 

Also, this tragic rise of these strange ideologies can be laid at the feet of runaway internet, social media , use.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I dunno...

In the end our NT alt-right friends are kinda sad. No ideas, and afraid to even try... while having to constantly spout all those miserable bullet-points.

Must be awfully boring at the end of the day...

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

The only "Value" I see in the alt-right is kinda like the same value I see as when I smash my hand with a hammer, it teaches me the difference between pleasure and pain. 

I'm of the believe that without the bad we wouldn't know what the good was.