╌>

Thousands march down Broad Street for 'Philly Is Charlottesville' rally to condemn white supremacy

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  a-macarthur  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

Thousands march down Broad Street for 'Philly Is Charlottesville' rally to condemn white supremacy

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Organizers of tonight’s event claim that “the worship of Confederate idols and race superiority is a threat to the progress that we as a country have made to move beyond our dark history,” according to the Facebook page.

“We must boldly rebuke all forms of bigotry on behalf of love, and on behalf of humanity, we must continue to resist all tactics to create fear and terror in the hearts, souls, and minds of marginalized communities,” the page reads.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I agree with the message.

That said, this demonstration risks further violence.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

That said, this demonstration risks further violence.

Nothing encourages the spread of terrorism than the failure to resist it.

Philly isn't Charlottesville and this crowd was small compared to what Philly can mount … IMO, this tells White Supremacists, "if you show up in our city, you do so at your own risk!"

For years, I have stated and written that many of the ills plaguing America will be snuffed out in the streets; it is Newton's Lawn gone sociological … "For Every Action There is an Equal and Opposite Reaction." 

Here's the metaphorical deal (IMO)

WAR IS HELL!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

North Carolina KKK leader: 'I’m sorta glad that them people got hit and I’m glad that girl died'

Remember when Hillary Clinton was bashed for calling some Donald Trump supporters “deplorable”? Turns out, deplorable isn’t even remotely harsh enough. Meet  Justin Moore, the so-called   Grand Dragon for the Loyal White Knights of Ku Klux Klan (these freaking titles they give themselves, right?). Moore told a reporter at WBTV in North Carolina he’s  ”glad that girl died”:

"I'm sorta glad that them people got hit and I'm glad that girl died," Moore said in a voicemail to WBTV's Steve Crump. "They were a bunch of Communists out there protesting against somebody's freedom of speech, so it doesn't bother me that they got hurt at all."

"I think we're going to see more stuff like this happening at white nationalist events," Moore warned.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

"call on Mayor Kenney to end the Police Department’s stop-and-frisk policies" I didn't know those government goons were still doing that. I thought it was ruled unconstitutional. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

"call on Mayor Kenney to end the Police Department’s stop-and-frisk policies" I didn't know those government goons were still doing that. I thought it was ruled 
unconstitutional. 

We agree, it's unconstitutional, Dean … but I'm not sure how it relates to this thread.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

It's a quote from the article you seeded here. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

It's a quote from the article you seeded here. 

I understand that … but of all the things one could pull from the story, that is not the most relevant nor the one that summarizes the story or protest.

But, I concede your point.

And yet, you only bothered to quote a portion of where the quote came from …

Organizers had outlined three goals for the march: They would highlight disparities in Pennsylvania’s school funding system, call on Mayor Kenney to end the Police Department’s stop-and-frisk policies and “fully fund” an independent policy advisory board, Holston said, and demand that Council President Darrell L. Clarke push a $15 living wage for the city’s contractors and subcontractors. Most of the city’s impoverished, Holston said, are people of color: “Anything we can do to raise wages helps dismantle white supremacy.”

I don't appreciate selective indignation, Dean.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Perhaps if we listened to the words of the man himself, Robert E. Lee and the descendants of Stonewall Jackson, this would come to an end. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

FOR THE RECORD …

Photo That Showed Antifa Man Assaulting Police Officer in C'ville Rally Was Fake

A photo purporting to show a member of Antifa assaulting a police officer at the Charlottesville rally was a fake. It was widely shared on social media and was No doubt a source of Trump’s “both sides” claim since that is where he gets his news from, despite having the world’s best intelligence at his disposal. Pretty ironic coming from he who screams fake news 

The reporters who wrote this article attended the rally and said there was barely an Antifa presence at the Charlottesville rally. 

An image that appeared to capture a member of an anti-fascist group beating a U.S. police officer with a club during a "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, is fake.

The doctored photograph, the Associated Press and  Snopes.com found , turned out to be a  Getty Image  shot in 2009 during clashes between police officers and protesters in Athens, Greece. An "Antifa," or "antifacist," logo was digitally superimposed onto the jacket of a protester, who is seen attacking an officer with a blunt object.

The image was widely shared shortly after Saturday's car attack in Charlottesville, Virginia, which followed a rally organized by neo-Nazis and white nationalists to protest the relocation of a Confederate statute. Some users  flagged the photo  on Twitter.

The fake image circulated among social media accounts that opposed anti-fascist activists and was often used to support President Donald Trump's statement that "both sides" were to blame for the Charlottesville violence.

WE ARE GETTING TO THE HEART OF THINGS!