╌>

Far Right Governor Of Maine Says Taking Down Confederate Statues Is Like Taking Down Memorials To 9-11 Victims

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  9 comments

Far Right Governor Of Maine Says Taking Down Confederate Statues Is Like Taking Down Memorials To 9-11 Victims

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/politics/paul-lepage-charlottesville/index.html

Washington (CNN) Republican Maine Gov. Paul LePage on Thursday condemned "both sides" of protesters in Charlottesville and equated the act of taking down Confederate statues to dismantling tributes to 9/11 victims.

Speaking to Portland-based radio station WGAN , LePage angrily called both sides of the protesters "disgusting" -- grouping white supremacists and neo-Nazis with those who were there rallying against them.

"What they are standing for is equally as bad. They are trying to erase history. How will future generations learn if they are trying to erase history? That's disgusting," said LePage when asked about the anti-protesters, some of whom are part of Antifa -- individuals who are against what they say is growing fascism.

White supremacists and neo-Nazis descended upon the Virginia city to oppose a local government decision to take down a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Referring to efforts to remove other Confederate monuments across the country, LePage said, "To me it's just like going to New York City right now and taking down the monument of those who perished in 9/11. It will come to that."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

He's not only crazy, he's slimy crazy.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

... or closing the Auschwitz Memorial...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

"If a liberal said that"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I can't discuss anything that has to do with 9/11 without flipping out. I was there.. nothing I will say will be civil. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Does LePage deserve civil ?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

By LePage's reasoning, we would remember 911 by erecting a statute of Osama bin Ladin. I would prefer to remember the civil war by statutes of slaves breaking chains, not a statue of the old bastard who fought to keep them shackled. Pull the statutes down now.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

The idiot has a history of saying stupid shit, this is no surprise.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

This is to be expected from Paul LePage.

Funny derail warning:  in 5th grade, one of the hottest girls in my class was Paula Page.  Her boobs were easily twice as big as the nearest competition. Every time I hear Paul LePage's name, I think of her boobs.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

That is totally Politically Incorrect!

But...