╌>

When White Nationalists Get DNA Tests That Reveal African Ancestry

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  calbab  •  7 years ago  •  154 comments

Sarah Zhang

Aug 17, 2017

For white nationalists, DNA tests are a way to prove their racial purity. Of course, their results don’t always come back that way. And how white nationalists try to explain away non-European ancestry is rather illuminating of their beliefs.

Two years ago—before Donald Trump was elected president, before white nationalism had become central to the political conversation—Aaron Panofsky and Joan Donovan, sociologists then at the University of California, Los Angeles, set out to study Stormfront forum posts about genetic ancestry tests. They presented their study at the American Sociological Association meeting this Monday. (A preprint of the paper is now online.)  After the events in Charlottesville this week, their research struck a particular chord with the audience. MORE!

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/white-nationalists-dna-ancestry/537108/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB    7 years ago

So here is the deal: If you were to take one of these "big deal" DNA testings, and you found out the roots of your being are—WHATEVER—what would you do immediately after learning?

Okay. Now would you do after some time for reflection?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  CB   7 years ago

It's a good seed and a good question.

I would be fascinated to learn that there's something exotic in my genes, since as far as I know there's nothing but very boring Scandinavian and English/Irish farmers. 

CB
Professor Principal

I am firmly convinced that skin is skin. I watch the commercials on DNA testing, and I am amazed at how people feel usually improved by learning what "ground" they hail from long ago. Ultimately, I come away thinking if we would all just get back to not letting skin matter—tribalism dies.

The end effect? A utopian thought. You can visit "brothers and sisters" in the most remotest part of the world and be received without a hostility based on appearance.

Lastly, racists do not have a grasp on how much good living they let escape them when they turn a world of decent, wholesome people into hostiles.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I remember when a White Nationalist DNA results were shown on a national TV show...11% sub saharan...The guy didn't know whether to shit or go blind.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I know of some who proudly touted their pure European heritage and ultimately found out in an ancestry search that they also had Native American ancestry. It was a shock to find that they were not as 'pure' as they thought they were. Some embraced it, others could never accept it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Mass suicide?

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Nope. Now that would be self-defeating wouldn't it?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Mass suicide?

CB
Professor Principal

Your account is right here in the article above:

presented their study

"I t was a strange moment of triumph against racism: The gun-slinging white supremacist Craig Cobb, dressed up for daytime TV in a dark suit and red tie, hearing that his DNA testing revealed his ancestry to be only “86 percent European, and … 14 percent Sub-Saharan African.” The studio audience whooped and laughed and cheered. And Cobb — who was, in 2013, charged with terrorizing people while trying to create an all-white enclave in North Dakota — reacted like a sore loser in the schoolyard.

“Wait a minute, wait a minute, hold on, just wait a minute,” he said, trying to put on an all-knowing smile. “This is called statistical noise.”

Then, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center , he took to the white nationalist website Stormfront to dispute those results. That’s not uncommon: With the rise of spit-in-a-cup genetic testing, there’s a trend of white nationalists using these services to prove their racial identity, and then using online forums to discuss the results."

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Oh, to be white ... like Jesus himself.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing    7 years ago

My former Sister-In-Law's prided herself on being a true Southern Belle of pure white ancestry. However, when she had a DNA test done to find out if she had any Irish ancestry, she was shocked beyond words to find out that she had African ancestry as well as English, but, no Irish. 

To prove that the DNA test was false and to save face, she had a trace done on her family ancestry. Turned out that her Great-Great Grandmother was a slave of a Southern land owner and her Great-Grandmother from him. 

She finally had to admit the truth and it was a very telling blow for her, as she could not longer tout her pure white Southern heritage. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I'd love to know what percentage of "White" Americans have at least a bit of "Black". 

In fact... The nation would probably be better off if everyone had a bit of everything! 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

"The nation would probably be better off if everyone had a bit of everything!"

I'd be willing to bet that at least 80% of those living in America now have a varied ancestry. Some may know and won't admit it, others may not realize it, and others may know and embrace it. 

There are those who only see skin color or ethnic background. It is indeed how we live our lives and what is in our hearts that matters the most. 

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

08/18/17 01:54:26PM @ raven-wing:

There are those who only see skin color or ethnic background.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

And, doing so has certainly gotten this country in trouble once before! It's called a civil war and in it the ridiculous happened. Families, blood turned and moved away from blood, in an attempt to stand against the cresting tide of knowing. It would be very telling if someone was to take a deep-dive into all the social constructs this county (atknown, the world) needed in place to keep one household of slaves under control! Staggering.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  CB   7 years ago

It's past time to really live Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream.  Where it's all about content of character and nothing about race in our dealings with each other.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

candlelightvigillightanddarknessagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

One more …

candlelightvigilweshallovercomeagurmankin.jpg

Taken at a Peace vigil I recently attended.

© A. Mac/A.G.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Great pictures, Mac.

The tragedy in life is not in death, but, what we let die inside of us while we live.

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

08/20/17 06:47:22PM @ a-macarthur.

So peaceful.   Just what is needed right now.

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  CB   7 years ago

It would be very telling if someone was to take a deep-dive into all the social constructs this country (atknown, the world) needed in place to keep one household of slaves under control! 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Black slaves were prohibited from carrying firearms by a 1639 Virginia law, which prescribed 20 lashes for violations of the statute. There was one exception: with his master’s permission, a slave could bear firearms to defend against Indian raids.

Massachusetts became the first colony to legalize slavery in 1641. In 1650, Connecticut legalized slavery.

The Barbados slave code was set up by the English in order to provide a legal base for slavery in the Caribbean island. Under its provisions, slave owners were required to provide clothing for their slaves; but the slaves were denied even the basic rights guaranteed by English common law. Slave owners were allowed to do anything they wanted to their slaves, which in practice included mutilating them and even burning them alive. South Carolina adopted the code in 1696, and it formed the legal basis of slave law in many English colonies in North America.

Slavery was legally recognized in Virginia with the passage of a 1661 fugitive slave law. The punishment of adding time to a period of service, which was commonly used for indentured servants, was not useful because the servitude of slaves was permanent. The statute did decree, however, that if a white servant ran off with a slave, he would have to serve his penalty term plus that of the slave.

A 1662 law decreed that the children of slaves took on the status of their mother, in contrast to common law, which conferred the father’s status on a child. The law was intended to enslave the increasing number of children fathered by white men.

Maryland legalized slavery in 1663 and attempted to pass a law that would enslave free blacks and require that all blacks be slaves regardless of their mother’s status; in the following year, Maryland punished marriage between a white woman and a slave by requiring that she serve her husband’s master during her husband’s lifetime and that their children would be slaves.

In 1667 Virginia even enacted a law that decreed that baptism would not change the status of the converted, meaning that becoming Christian would not free a slave.

In 1664, slavery was legalized in New York and New Jersey.

A 1681 Maryland law reversed an earlier statute and reestablished that children born to free black women and black children born to white women would be free.

A 1676 law prohibited free blacks from having white servants. To limit the increase in free black manumissions, special measures were enacted in 1691.

Virginia passed two acts in 1682 that combined Native Americans and Africans into one category as “Negroes and other slaves .”

Pennsylvania banned the importation of slaves in 1712. That same year New York prohibited blacks from owning property.

In 1699, slave laws stipulating whippings and other forms of corporeal punishment as the standard practice for dealing with slaves were the rule in Virginia. In some cases, the laws were quite specific, such as the statute that punished pig stealing by nailing the thief's severed ears to a pillory post. Other laws stated the penalty for burning barns and crops; when slaves could testify in court; what compensation slaveholders could expect from the colonial government when one of their slaves was executed for a crime; and what punishments were to be dealt to slaves who were convicted of insulting whites. There were a number of laws that covered the handling of runaway slaves. As early as 1630, laws regulating relations between whites and blacks appeared on the statute books, including such penalties as a whipping before an assembly of slaves for a white man who had sex with a black woman. After 1690s, even stricter laws against miscegenation appeared, when marriages between whites and blacks became illegal, and whites could be expelled from the colony as punishment.

In 1738, Spanish Florida declared that freedom and land would be given to runaways.

In 1705, Virginia law began to define more clearly the status of slaves as property. Slaves could be used both as collateral for borrowing money and as assets in the payment of debts. Creditors, in fact, had first claim on slaves in settlement of debts; even slaves who had been freed could be re-enslaved if necessary to settle their former master’s debts. In addition, one third of her deceased husband's slaves, including those who had been promised their freedom, could be claimed by the widow of a slaveholding husband.

In 1774, slave import ation was prohibited in Georgia, Connecticut and Rhode Island in an effort to hurt the British slave trade. In 1776, Delaware prohibited the importation of slaves.

New York enacted a slave code in 1715, which declared that any slave caught 40 miles north of Albany would be executed based on the sworn oath of two witnesses, to deter runaways from escaping to Canada. That year, Rhode Island legalized slavery.

A year after the Stono Rebellion, South Carolina passed the Negro Act in 1740, which made it illegal for slaves to gather in groups, earn money, learn to read or raise food, and gave slave owners the right to kill rebellious slaves.

MORE!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Fascinating seed!

Timelines are very useful in acquiring perspective.

The next (and last) item in the Original Article is:

In 1774, slave importation was prohibited in Georgia, Connecticut and Rhode Island in an effort to hurt the British slave trade. In 1776, Delaware prohibited the importation of slaves.

I've posted a couple of seeds recently about abolitionists so I kinda sorta have their timeline in the back of my head, too. It's fascinating to see these two tendencies rushing through the decades towards the collision that would come in 1861.

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

08/21/17 04:16:47AM @ bob-nelson

In 1774, slave importation was prohibited in Georgia, Connecticut and Rhode Island in an effort to hurt the British slave trade. In 1776, Delaware prohibited the importation of slaves.

So fascinating! The evidence is clear that greed and compassion is threaded through the states. We are such a smashing together of "contrast-folks." On one hand we love the warm aspiration of achieving lofty creeds and on the other hand we wrestle with throngs of our citizenry who would snatch the cold-blooded nature of a snake away from it for their own use!

That said, through it all, we must never forget that we are a lovely, admired, concerted, people who crave and incrementally seek after its better angels.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

That said, through it all, we must never forget that we are a lovely, admired, concerted, people who crave and incrementally seek after its better angels.

WTF??  Party

CB
Professor Principal

08/21/17 11:56:20AM @ bob-nelson:

WTF??  Party

WHAT?!

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 01:20:32PM @ bob-nelson

Race is simply a social-construct anyway.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

There are lots of physical characteristics. Height, hair color, eye color, hair texture, shape / size of nose, ... They can be mixed and matched almost at random. It's crazy to try to select any set as being significant. 

And then there's the insane "one single drop" rule, which completely ignores the actual genotype. 

So you are right: "race" is a totally artificial notion. 

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 04:40:39PM @ bob-nelson:

a totally artificial notion. 

>>>

I will admit when I look at the recent Vice video of those Alt-right bigots, I can not help thinking, an maybe aching a little bit, by imagining who they could be if they did not channel "race." So sad. So lost.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

They are "sad" unless they have power. Then they are terrifying.

CB
Professor Principal

08/19/17 01:14:10AM @ bob-nelson:

They are "sad" unless they have power. Then they are terrifying.

____________________________________________________________________________________

You are so right. Thank you for keeping your focus on the prize! I sometimes get so emotional over waste of any young talent. I forget in those moments that these youth have made a Faustian bargain with white supremacy. It is a dangerous thing to get wrapped up in them emotionally!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

That should read "Sister-In-Law's Mother. My keyboard needs more coffee.....(sigh)

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 01:23:16PM @ raven-wing:

Oh that poor woman. Shattered dreams and all. Well, on the positive side she can reinvent herself in the South! I think that honesty will be her best and less stressful route. I hope she drops what is now a facade and live and love her truth!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  CB   7 years ago

She was never able to truly accept the fact that she had African ancestry, but, no longer bragged about her "pure" white heritage. She died many years ago still feeling some regret that she was not as pure as she thought she was. However, it was not a surprise that should not ever really come to terms with it, as she was raised in an ere when having any African bloodline was worse than death.  

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 02:07:17PM @ raven-wing,

That is truly sad. She could have been a pioneer of sorts and changed many hearts and minds looking for a single example to follow. Alas, so sad. Now, see how your memory of her is rendered? It is a lesson to us to try to live as good as we can in the skin and spirit we all have (and share).

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

I could not agree more, calbab. That is how I try to live my life. I see other human beings as my Brothers and Sisters. We are all children of the same Spirit who created all living things here on earth. 

No child is born with hatred or prejudice. 

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 02:32:09PM @ raven-wing:

No child is born with hatred or prejudice. 
____________________________________________________________________________________

So the changes in our children ideology and behaviors about different people emanate from the overt and covert signals we adults send (and I am not talking about mass communications either). Children are such little receptors once they tune in.

On Tuesday, the noisiest bigot in the country, our president, sent out such a potent hate-filled transmission that it nearly blew out our television screens! It called a 'blackout' in the White House even to now as people are bailing - feeling unwanted, irregular, and out of place.

One more 'jolt' like that from President Donald Trump and we will have no choice but to call for Congress (and the Courts if necessary) to end his displays of bigotry. Children's social health is at risk!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

"So the changes in our children ideology and behaviors about different people emanate from the overt and covert signals we adults send (and I am not talking about mass communications either). Children are such little receptors once they tune in."

Indeed, words of others do matter in the children's mind set. However, IMHO, it is the prolonged exposure to racist, hateful and prejudice remarks that is the worst, usually from parents, friends, or other people, or their environment that influences the child's thinking most, as it ingrains in the child's mind that which they feel they are expected to emulate in their own life.

Some children learn to move past that ideology as they grow older, but, there are those who will forever adhere to that thinking.

Just my personal opinion.

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 08:31:22PM @raven-wing :

"IMHO, it is the prolonged exposure to racist, hateful and prejudice remarks that is the worst, usually from parents, friends, or other people, or their environment that influences the child's thinking most, as it ingrains in the child's mind that which they feel they are expected to emulate in their own life.

Some children learn to move past that ideology as they grow older, but, there are those who will forever adhere to that thinking.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

So true. Your opinion is spot on!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Always known I'm a Heinz 57 variety.  Blood is red.  All of it is, no matter who you are.  I won't do the DNA thing for the same reasons I don't have an Alexa type device in my house.

What matters, as far as I'm concerned is, what is in your heart, not the color of skin.  For anyone to use color as a yardstick to measure by is simply an idiot.

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

08/18/17 01:41:11PM @ spikegary:

Here! Here!

CB
Professor Principal

08/18/17 01:05:14PM @ badfish:

Ooooh! I would love to see tape of that. Can you locate and give?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

m and m.jpg

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

08/18/17 01:56:50PM @ spikegary:

So smart!

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Of all the idiocy of bigots and white supremacists this is the most enjoyable and amusing to me.  This idea that anyone is racially "pure" is beyond ignorant.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

Just one question - Are we supposed to assume there is no such thing as a white african?

OldUSAFGuy
Freshman Silent
link   OldUSAFGuy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Hmmmm

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

08/18/17 09:18:13PM @jeremy-in-nc :

Just one question - Are we supposed to assume there is no such thing as a white african?

Ahh! The circle widens and the plot thickens!  Nice, Jeremy, cool!

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  CB   7 years ago

YES! YES! YES! There are white Africans and they are beautiful people!

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Are we supposed to assume there is no such thing as a white african?

I guess you'd need to define "white" to try to figure that out. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

I'll go with the same skin tone as Nancy Pelosi, the President or me.

OldUSAFGuy
Freshman Silent
link   OldUSAFGuy    7 years ago

Im a Mutt

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  OldUSAFGuy   7 years ago

08/18/17 11:47:58PM @ oldusafguy.

Oldusafguy, mutts are friends of mine!

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  OldUSAFGuy   7 years ago

Im a Mutt

We are all mongrels. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Not true Atheist, I'm registered with the BIA as a BFI.

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I'm almost afraid to guess what BFI stands for.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

LOL, I'm sure that you are, just let your imagination run amuck.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Big Frikkin Independent?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Nope, nothing to do with politics Spike...LOL

Hint, think Will Sampson

CB
Professor Principal

FROM THE ARTICLE: MORE!

Panofsky, Donovan, and their team of researchers analyzed 3,070 Stormfront posts spanning more than a decade—all from forum threads in which at least one user revealed the results of a DNA test. Some of the results were 100 percent European, as users expected. But often—surprisingly often, says Panofsky—users disclosed tests results showing non-European ancestry. And despite revealing non-European ancestry on a forum full of white nationalists, they were not run off the site.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now ain't that the damn kicker?  You can 'come out' to Stormfront with your failing lack of meeting stringent standards and not get tossed! What is going on over there?! Oh, the hypocrisy!

Hey Stormfront! You might as well diversify. "Purity" you are not!

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  CB   7 years ago

And there's no such DNA as "100% European" or any other ethnically pure DNA:

CB
Professor Principal
“We can falsify this notion that anyone is pure,” says population geneticist Lynn Jorde of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. Instead, almost all modern humans “have this incredibly complex history of mixing and mating and migration.”
"The new data confirm that humans have always had wanderlust, plus a yen to mix with all manner of strangers. After the first  Homo sapiens  arose in Africa, several bands walked out of the continent about 60,000 years ago and into the arms of Neandertals and other archaic humans. Today, almost all humans outside Africa carry traces of archaic DNA."

08/19/17 01:07:11PM @ atheist,  I love the expression: "incredibly complex history of mixing and mating and migration." It just does not get any clearer than explaining the "wanderlust" of people. We are beautiful, "AIN'T WE?" 

Sometimes you look at the startling beauty of many a certain combo of genes and you just have to go: "Awesome!"

It makes you wonder why some humans have to "F" the whole ideal with their malcontent and diseased state of mind.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

If you choose to try to understand the complexities of race and how they are categorized you have to look no further than what the U.S. government has done trying to ID what is Native American/Indian/American Indian. Of course the government's goal was to eliminate us as a people, but what actually happened was that there are ''Indians'' that are not considered Indian by the government. How can that be you say, well once government sets the ground rules, FUBAR is generally what happens. Especially when the goal was something other than what was voiced as their goal.

A ''for instance''...would be me. According to the U.S. government I'm 50% American Indian and 50% something else...Well the 50% something else is only because the government wishes it to be. Now if I move across the border to Canada I'm 50% First Nations, and 50% Indigenous.  Confusing you yet? 

It get's better, my DNA reads a very high % of American Indian far more than 50%..but but, I'm only 50% according to the U.S. government. Now I slip back across the border into Canada (I'm not illegal by doing this, but that's a whole other story). The Canadian government states that I'm 50% First Nations (Indian) and 50% indigenous...WTF...there is a difference between Indian and Indigenous!!! I'm now 100% First Nations and Indigenous. 

Now if we go to the names of the tribe in the U.S. that I'm enrolled in, it's called the Chippewa, and in Canada it's called the Oijbwe (Ojibwa, Ojibway)...All of which are incorrect because the government decided to change our actual names to something that they could understand and pronounce..Oh my this is really getting complicated. In reality Chippewa/Ojibwe is really ''Anishinaabe"...Meaning the First or Good people...Ojibwe is a bastardized French word with the nearest  interpretation being ''To pucker'' which comes from the way we make the seams on our moccasins. Chippewa is because the British couldn't pronounce Ojibwe..

Is your head spinning yet? It get's even better...In the U.S. I'm 50% Chippewa/Ojibwe/Ojibwa/Ojibway/Anishinaabe/50% something. Now we move to Canada. I step across the border and bingo I've been changed again. But at least in Canada they are a lot more accurate. 

I'm Ojibwa (First Nations) and Metis (Michif)....100% errrr, Indian and Indigenous. 

At this point I'm going to stop since I imagine that your head is doing the ''Bettlejuice'' thing. 

Please carry on with the race discussion. It's entertaining for me.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

That's all very clear, K...

Thanks so-o-o-o much!!

CB
Professor Principal
link   seeder  CB  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

RE: 08/20/17 08:27:13AM  @ kavika.

You bring such NEEDFUL perspective (along with Raven) to my world. What enlightenment you offer us! I am new around NT, and my mind tingles with what you and Raven's share with me, us. It really does!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  CB   7 years ago

calbab, Pepetikwe chipwa kawacheyn piikishkwew Li Bon Michif nishtotamohwe. (come sit and talk to the good Metis and I'll explain more)....LOL now there is a language for you calbab...It's called Metis or Michif a combination of Ojibwe/Cree/French...

Or we could try Anishinaabe but we have to decide which alphabet to use, the single vowel or the double vowel..

I need a lot of coffee right now, cuz this is getting confusing. LOL

CB
Professor Principal

RE: 08/20/17 12:35:56PM

HA! I love it! Can't speak that way, however I LOVE IT!!!

Kavika &   Raven Wing

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

K is a show-off. 

CB
Professor Principal

RE: 08/20/17 12:35:56PM @ kavika,

I'm thinking of starting off with something simple in your beautiful native tongue like: "Hello! How are you?" Kavika! (-:

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  CB   7 years ago

In Anishinaabe it would be, ''Boozhoo, aniish na?'' (greetings, how are you?)

In Michif it would be, ''Tansi, tawnshi kiya?'' (hello, how are you?)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

calbab,

if you would like to know more about the history of the Cherokee and their language, here are some links that can give you some good insight about them as a people.  The Wa-ya (Wolf) is my Spirit Guide, and the Awahili (Eagle) is my Counselor. The Raven is my Anidohi (Messenger).

Cherokee history:

Cherokee language and history:

Hope you will find them interesting.

CB
Professor Principal

08/20/17 03:23:26PM @ raven-wing:

calbab, if you would like to know more about the history of the Cherokee and their language, here are some links that can give you some good insight about them as a people.

Thank you, and I have saved them for review and reflection. (-:

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

You'e very welcome, calbab. (smile)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Great explanation, Kavika. thumbs up

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

LOL my head is spinning right now.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Mine too, but, I'm doing my best to learn it all. (smile)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago
(deleted)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Come on, A Mac., you're better than this.