╌>

It Begins: Democratic Strategist Calls for Statues of Washington to ‘Come Down’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  7 years ago  •  69 comments

It Begins: Democratic Strategist Calls for Statues of Washington to ‘Come Down’

CNN commentator confirms Trump’s warning, conflates Confederates and slaveholding Founders

by  Brendan Kirby  |  Updated  17 Aug 2017 at 2:00 PM Progressives driving to rid public spaces of statues honoring Confederate leaders have taken pains to distinguish between the rebels and the slaveholding Founding Fathers.

On Thursday, one liberal commentator veered off script and lent credibility to President Donald Trump’s warning that the anti-Confederate movement will not stop with southern Civil War generals like Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson.

“I don’t care if it’s a George Washington statue or a Thomas Jefferson statue, or a Robert E. Lee statue,” commentator Angela Rye said on CNN. “They all need to come down.”

00:00

09:19

Daily Beast columnist John Avalon moved quickly to challenge Rye — not so much because she was wrong but because it might help Trump.

"We've got to be real careful about what we're doing here," he said on the same program. "Because we're polarizing the conversation exactly in the direction that Donald Trump wants, Angela."

Avalon added that Rye was buying into "exactly the slippery-slope argument that Donald Trump is presenting that Founding Fathers are the moral equal of Confederate generals."

But Rye, former executive director and general counsel of the Congressional Black Caucus, doubled down.

"We have to get to the heart of the problem here, and the heart of the problem is the way in which many of us were taught American history. American history is not all glorious," she said. "And even though I love John to death, I couldn't disagree more about George Washington. George Washington was a slave owner. And we need to call slave owners out for what they are, whether we think they were protecting American freedom or not. He wasn't protecting my freedom. I wasn't someone who — my ancestors weren't deemed human to him."

Rye said she was calling out white supremacy for what it is.

"This country was founded on a very violent past that resulted in the raping and the killing of my ancestors," she said. "I'm not going to allow us to say that it's okay for a Robert E. Lee [statue to be removed] but not a George Washington. We need to call it what it is."

Avalon had argued that Trump and his lawyer, John Dowd, have tried to "elevate the South and put it on an equal patriotic footing" by drawing a false equivalency between the commander of the Confederate army and the nation's first president.

"But it falls apart on the fundamental level that George Washington devoted his life to trying to unite our nation, and Confederate generals made a fateful decision to try to tear apart our nation, and six million people [sic] died," he said.

Wade_Hampton_equestrian_statue_Columbia_SC_IMG_4747_1170x880_acf_cropped-360x210.jpg Washington Post Reporter Equates Confederates with Terrorists Journalist suggests to CNN there are not two sides to debate over Southern Civil War statues

But Rye made clear that she does not see a moral difference.

"We definitely need to learn about it so we don't repeat it," she said. "Because we're very close to repeating it right now. But I'm not giving any deference to George Washington or Robert E. Lee."

Black author and journalist Farai Chideya said she considers Washington a "complicated man who was a hero." She drew a distinction to Lee, whom many historians also consider a complex figure, who held contradictory views on slavery.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Vic Eldred    7 years ago

This all began with removing Confederate flags. We all know not to make conssesions to radical elements. I originally couldn't care less about Confederate statues & monuments but as soon as it was evident who was pushing this agenda we all should stand together and say no you don't. American history is NOT a story of oppression. It is a glorious story of the common man overcoming adversity and doing great things. Let us protect our history from those who want to erase it. If The statues of the writers of the Constitution come down it wont be long before the Constitution comes under attack.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred   7 years ago

American history is NOT a story of oppression. It is a glorious story of the common man overcoming adversity and doing great things.

It is both. Irrefutably both. I am surprised an intelligent fellow like yourself would contend otherwise.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Back in those days, having slaves was an everyday way of life, and now it is being attacked as evil. So Washington owned slaves - does that make him evil?  How does one feel about underpaid, underfed migrant workers, fruit and vegetable pickers. How far removed are they from the slaves of yesteryear? Today, we tolerate certain customs and practices, so if in the future they are declared to have been evil, then should anything representting those customs and practices be demolished?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, I may end up having to say this a thousand times. Any monuments to CONFEDERATE heroes are monuments to the Confederacy.  The Confederate States Of America was OFFICIALLY a white supremacist entity. The CSA constitution was copied more or less from the US constitution with the notable exception that in the CSA constitution every state is required to be a slave state ( legalized slavery) and cannot end slavery without a constitutional amendment.

And the confederates lost. Why should there be racially motivated tributes to them ?   And these statues are not "history" . That claim borders on the ridiculous.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I think the point I was trying to make is that I do not agree that the Washington Monument or Jefferson Memoriall should be demolished.  I made it clear already on another article that having read Robert E Lee's writings about Confederate statues and memorials, and even flags, I believe they should be removed.  I agreed with you for Christ's sake - give me a break.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

"Any monuments to CONFEDERATE heroes are monuments to the Confederacy."

Now keep in mind that 1958, it was declared that veterans of the Confederate Military are US Veterans.  They received the same benefits as Soldiers from the Union Military.

Many of these monuments are to remember those veterans - US VETERANS.  You want to start dismantling Arlington National Cemetery?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

There is a vast difference between recognizing the service of individual soldiers by calling them veterans  , and paying tribute to the confederacy by building statues to confederate generals. The Confederacy was a white supremacist entity. Is there something about that you dont understand?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

"The Confederacy was a white supremacist entity."

In your mind maybe.  In others, that's not the case.  

Reading the link I provided, and many others I've found, they received the same benefits that are extended to Union veterans.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Skirting the CoC [ph]  The white supremacy is written into the Confederate constitution. They are not only a white supremacist enitity because others say so, they said it themselves.

In the CSA, every state had to have legalized negro slavery

they had no choice if they wanted to be in the CSA.  Individual states could not ever end slavery (as they could in the Union) , the only way a state in the CSA could end slavery was if there was to be a constitutional amendment that effected all of them.

Any new CSA territories were required to have legalized negro slavery.

You do not know what you are talking about.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

US constitution -      No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

CSA Constitution  -   No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

===========================================

" As far as slave-owning rights go, however, the document is much more effective. Four different clauses entrench the legality of slavery in a number of different ways, and together they virtually guarantee that any sort of anti-slave law or policy would be unconstitutional.

People can claim the Civil War was "not about slavery" as much as they want, but the fact remains that anyone who fought for the Confederacy was fighting for a country in which a universal right to own slaves was one of the most entrenched laws of the land."

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Now keep in mind that 1958, it was declared that veterans of the Confederate Military are US Veterans.

That lie has had a long and durable life.  That law says nothing about making rebel soldier "US veterans."  Here's the only pertinent part of that legislation from the link YOU provided:

CONFEDERATE FORCES VETERANS

"SEC. 410. The Administrator shall pay to each person who served

in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of America

during the Civil War a monthly pension in the same amounts and

subject to the same conditions as would have been applicable to such

person under the laws in effect on December 31, 1957, if his service

m such forces had been service in the military or naval service of the

United States."

Nothing in there about "declaring" them US veterans.  It did grant VA benefits to them but since the person claiming to be last surviving confed soldier died in 1959 (disputed--probably was much earlier, well before this law was passed) no such veteran actually received these benefits.  It was mainly for the small number of widows of those veterans. 

[apologies for the font size; once I copied and pasted from the .pdf, I couldn't enlarge anything.]

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Now keep in mind that 1958, it was declared that veterans of the Confederate Military are US Veterans.

That lie has had a long and durable life.  That law says nothing about making rebel soldier "US veterans."  Here's the only pertinent part of that legislation from the link YOU provided:

CONFEDERATE FORCES VETERANS

"SEC. 410. The Administrator shall pay to each person who served

in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of America

during the Civil War a monthly pension in the same amounts and

subject to the same conditions as would have been applicable to such

person under the laws in effect on December 31, 1957, if his service

m such forces had been service in the military or naval service of the

United States."

Nothing in there about "declaring" them US veterans.  It did grant VA benefits to them but since the person claiming to be last surviving confed soldier died in 1959 (disputed--probably was much earlier, well before this law was passed) no such veteran actually received these benefits.  It was mainly for the small number of widows of those veterans. 

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
link   Bluestride    7 years ago

Anyone else feel like we are seeing the modern day equivalent of Brown Shirts slowly emerging? Yes, their targets (white supremacists) are deserving of scorn but, they are using this premise to paint with a VERY broad brush to eradicate anything they disagree with. They are also painting so broadly that anyone who simply does not agree with them or in many cases you can agree with them but if you do not actively support them you are also a racist, bigot, etc. The do do this while ignoring or sweeping under the rug the racisim and bigoty on their own part.

Civil and reasoned discussion apparently is no longer accetable. I think I will be dead and gone before the full effect of this comes to fruition but, I fear for my granddaughter.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Bluestride   7 years ago

You probably have a good point in general, anything can become excess, which is why any removal of confederate monuments should be done in an orderly and legal fashion.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

This is my Uncle Elijah's monument in Alton, IL.  I can't imagine the pain we would feel if it were destroyed or harmed in any way.

Image result for elijah p lovejoy monument photos

The base is inscribed with several of his quotes.

But, gentlemen, as long as I am an American citizen, and as long as American blood runs in these veins, I shall hold myself at liberty to speak, to write, to publish whatever I please on any subject--being amenable to the laws of my country for the same

If the laws of my country fail to protect me I appeal to God, and with him I cheerfully rest my cause. I can die at my post but I cannot desert it.

I have sworn eternal opposition to slavery, and by the blessing of God, I will never go back.

I have an insane urge to slap the snot out of Donald Trump right about now.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

you are elijah lovejoy's niece?  i am impressed sister.

Elijah Parish Lovejoy. Elijah Parish Lovejoy (November 9, 1802 – November 7, 1837) was an American Presbyterian minister, journalist, newspaper editor and abolitionist. He was murdered by a pro-slavery mob in Alton, Illinois, during their attack on Godfrey and Gillman's warehouse to destroy his press and abolitionist materials.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I am his great, great, great, great niece. 

Have you been to the monument?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

No, I have read of him though.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Very Cool Sister!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

"I can't imagine the pain we would feel if it were destroyed or harmed in any way."

Unfortunately the thin skinned little fools that are tearing down these monuments only care about what THEY feel.  They have no regard for others and what monuments like these mean to others.

"I have an insane urge to slap the snot out of Donald Trump right about now."

Don't know why.  He has nothing to do with it.  He's not the one that is tearing the monuments down.  You should be looking a the shit stains that are doing it and those that support what's happening.

Junior Participates

Again and again, jeremy, you only see this issue from the standpoint of someone whose life has never been perturbed by any racism and have to face the glorified symbols of his ancestors' past bondage and murder every day.

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

My Dad was born in Alton and Alton was not a place known for its fondness for blacks so I'm very pleasantly surprised that this monument to your uncle stands there.  And there's nothing at all insane about that urge you feel.  It's quite normal and appropriate.

OldUSAFGuy
Freshman Silent
link   OldUSAFGuy    7 years ago

But Yet in a park in the Liberal Bastion of Seattle there is a statue of Lenin.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  OldUSAFGuy   7 years ago

And although 40,000 were shot during the "Years of Terror" along with millions killed under Communist Regimes just in the 20th century you won't find anyone from one the Left who will lose any sleep about this statue remaining right where it is from now on.

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

650,000 Americans died as a result of the treason by the South.  That's still the most deadly war the US has had. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

And many of the memorials, statues, etc are defended by family of said person and their friends whether the monument is to a union or confederate person.  It's already been stated that confederate soldiers are now considered USA veterans.  The statues on and for both sides were built to bind a divided country back together, to heal us again as one country.  The goal was reunification and ending reconstruction as soon as possible with the readmittance of the CSA states back into the Union.  The statue banners today are all about division and disunity in America and for the progressives to try to keep the civil war alive by trying to continue to punish the south some 152 years after the end of the civil war. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Six,

You do realize that Lenin had nothing to do with the "Years of Terror". It was Stalin. I had no idea why Seattle would have a statue to Lenin, so I looked it up. 

The statue was constructed by  Bulgarian  sculptor Emil Venkov (1937–2017) under a 1981 commission from the  Communist Party of Czechoslovakia . [1] [2] [3]  While following the bounds of his commission, Venkov intended to portray Lenin as a bringer of revolution, in contrast to the traditional portrayals of Lenin as a philosopher and educator. [4]

Venkov's work was completed and installed in  Poprad , Czechoslovakia (now Slovakia), in 1988 at a cost of 3340000  , (equivalent to $180,000 in 2016), shortly before the fall of Czechoslovak communism during the 1989  Velvet Revolution . [1] [5]  Despite popular belief, the Poprad Lenin was not toppled in the demonstrations during the  fall of communism . Instead, it was quietly removed from Lenin's Square, in front of Poprad's main hospital, several months after the  Velvet Revolution

Lewis E. Carpenter, an English teacher in  Poprad  originally from  Issaquah, Washington , found the monumental statue lying in a scrapyard with a homeless man living inside the hollow statue. [5] [6]  The Lenin statue was waiting to be cut up and sold for the price of the bronze. [5]  Carpenter had met and befriended the sculptor, Venkov, in an earlier visit to Czechoslovakia. Carpenter's initial interest in buying the statue was to preserve it for its historic and artistic merit. [5]  Later he intended to use it attract customers for an ethnic Slovak restaurant he wanted to open in Issaquah

The owners moved the statue two blocks north to the intersection of Fremont Place North, North 36th Street and Evanston Avenue North in 1996, adjacent to a  Taco del Mar  and a  gelato  shop. [11] [12]  The new location is also 3 blocks west of the  Fremont Troll , another Fremont art installation situated under the  Aurora Bridge .

The Carpenter family continues to seek a buyer for the statue. As of 2015 the asking price was  US$250,000 , up from a 1996 price of  US$150,000  (equivalent to $230,000 in 2016)

So this is a private person, who bought it as a piece of art and has nothing to do with the city of Seattle. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Look up the red terror. Hundreds of thousands were killed under Lenin.

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  OldUSAFGuy   7 years ago

On private property, (not a public park) which is where all your beloved symbols of treason and slavery are welcome to be placed.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   It Is ME    7 years ago

Removing Items because of one issue in someone's head, is a MAJOR issue in my book.  Those that only look at a dark side of a multifaceted history, needs help.

I've walked by numerous monuments throughout this country, and not ONCE did I think: what would my neighbor say about this. NOT ONE FRIGGIN TIME !

People just have way too much time on their hands these days. Used to be we were too busy with our own lives and family to think of CRAP like this !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

Eventually tributes to the white supremacist confederacy will come down. Why wait?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

"Why wait?"

Why give into a generation that doesn't know what it's like to not get their way?  Notice that most of the people that are "offended" are part of the same generation where even the losers got a trophy.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Insignificant to me. This is not an issue of "political correctness". It is an issue of justice. The statues were not built to "honor" southern soldiers, they were built to justify white supremacism.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

"The statues were not built to "honor" southern soldiers, they were built to justify white supremacism."

And that is your opinion.  Others don't agree.  But under your premise, it offends you and you think it should be removed regardless of what others point of view.  In a nutshell, the only thing that matters is what YOU want.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

You know nothing of the history of which you speak. But we have a free country and forum so enjoy yourself.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

You know nothing of the history of which you speak.

You, and the other so-called shocked folks, are just now ...... SHOCKED ?

Not one damn person is really offended by some stone and metal monument that has been up for decades and decades. It's just another one of those "IN" things that people are grasping on to, so they can get on TV or in the papers. A personal selfish claim to fame thing if you will. Kind of like Rachel Dolezal syndrome. She felt the pain in her past life too !

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

"Not one damn person is really offended by some stone and metal monument that has been up for decades and decades. "

I was just thinking the same thing.  How can statues, some that have been standing almost a century, suddenly be offensive?  It really makes me question the mindset and coping skills of a lot of people.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Gee, hmmmm ... what has happened over the last 18 months or so that would have driven such a trend?  I just can't put my finger on it.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

There has been a lot that's happened in the last 18 months.  

• Democrats got their asses handed to them in the election
  • I had a friend killed in Iraq
  • I went to see some friends off to go fight in Afghanistan
  • I retired from the military
  • Liberals had (and are still having) a major melt down.  Oh hell, let's call it what it is - They are having a hissy fit.
  • My daughter started college

You are going to have to be a little more specific.  A lot of us have more important things to do then follow the whining fools who are triggered by the sight of a flag or a sign.

Junior Participates

A lot of us have more important things to do then follow the whining fools who are triggered by the sight of a flag or a sign.

Yet you sure seem to find a lot of time to post crap here.  For example: 

• Democrats got their asses handed to them in the election

Dems picked up 6 house and 2 senate seats in 2016.  Those senate wins were just enough to make the difference in the failure of your guys to take away health care for millions of Americans.  And:

• Liberals had (and are still having) a major melt down.  Oh hell, let's call it what it is - They are having a hissy fit.

You must be watching just FoxBS.  Right now, it's your psycho in the WH who pretty much daily has a hysterical outburst and republicans attacking him and vice versa. But don't get me wrong.  I wouldn't have you post something rational for the world.  Your absurd comments are hilarious to read.  Keep 'em coming. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

It's just another one of those "IN" things that people are grasping on to, so they can get on TV or in the papers.

Beneath meriting a sincere response.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Beneath meriting a sincere response.

In other words, you can't come up with one !

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

"You know nothing of the history of which you speak."

So because I disagree with you I'm wrong.  At least I know where you stand.

Have a good day.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    7 years ago

Time for the name of our capital city to change to Federal City - we cannot have the nation's capital named after a slave owner.

Can we?