╌>

Snowflakes Show More Concern With Opposing Political Correctness Than With Opposing Racial Insult

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  72 comments

Snowflakes Show More Concern With Opposing Political Correctness Than With Opposing Racial Insult

"These statues are history"

History of what?  These statues are not the history of the Confederacy. At best, they indicate the history of the era in which they were erected, which in almost all cases was an era of revisionism of the nature of negro slavery and the cause of the Civil War.

The University of Texas took down three confederate statues overnight, removing them to an on campus facility where they will be used to for "study" .  Study of what? The designer's artistic style? Their color patterns?   They can't be used to study the Civil War, they are statues generally created 30-50 years after the war.

When I listen to people object to the statues being removed, by far the most prevalent argument I am seeing is that it annoys the (mainly conservative) "snowflakes" who see political correctness behind every facet of present American life that they don't like.

Lee was a slaveowner who fought for a nation whose constitution codified for eternity the requirement for negro slavery. The vice president of Lee's nation said that the Confederacy was the first government in the history of the world based on white supremacy.

In the face of these devastating facts the right wing snowflakes base their case on their opposition to "political correctness". It offends them to see that people may want to remove monuments to those who fought to protect human slavery.

We aren't seeing that many people seriously make the case that the statues need to be preserved so we can study history, we are seeing people who are butthurt because "liberals" and "leftists" are getting the upper hand on the issue (in some localities).

I have seen some say "the statues have been there for x amount of years, why now?"

Slavery in the US existed for over 200 years before it was ended.

No one will be hurt by the removal of the statues, which never should have been built in the first place. Get it over with and move on.  There are endless things for those obsessed with opposing "pc"  to get worked up about.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

When your best argument for leaving up tributes to white supremacy is because you dont like "political correctness" , you are out of gas.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Maybe the university can put them in the fashion design department, and use them as manikins. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

That is as good an idea as any. What is there to "study" about these things?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

Or those that suddenly want them taken down grow the hell up and get on with their lives.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

On one hand we have people who want to remove statues that are tributes to leaders of a white supremacist nation.

On the other hand  we have those who are offended by the first group.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Again, grow the hell up and get on with their lives.  Not everything is about race. And if you can't handle honesty and need everything sugar coated, sorry, there is nothing I can do to help you become an adult.  That is something your parents should have helped you with.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Again, grow the hell up and get on with their lives.  Not everything is about race. And if you can't handle honesty and need everything sugar coated, sorry, there is nothing I can do to help you become an adult.  That is something your parents should have helped you with.

I don't know if you have the capacity to understand this or not, but the statues were built to perpetuate a false history of slavery and the cause of the Civil War, and thus are intrinsically about "race".

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

Ok, well go with your premise of this, not saying it's the right one, but we'll use it.  Then explain why it took THIS LONG for something to be done?  Why now and not 20 years a go, or when the statue was erected?  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Lol.  I thought the answer to that was obvious.  There's something different about the US over the past year and a half or so.  Can you guess what it is?

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Ooooo......Oooooo........me, me, me, me, me......  (PJ frantically waves her hand back and forth)   Me.....me....me.....me  - Pick me - I know the answer!!!!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

goldenescalatorstairstoshinesky25004426.jpg

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I'm assuming that golden escalator only travels downward as did the original.....Talk about a poor man's parade.....  (Pj shakes her head)

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Denver beat Carolina in the Super Bowl?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

"There's something different about the US over the past year and a half or so.  Can you guess what it is?"

Like I told you before, there has been a lot that's happened in the past 18 months.  Although I imagine that you are referring to something that happened with the easily offended.  If that's the case some of us do have more important things to deal with and worry about.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

If that's the case some of us do have more important things to deal with and worry about.

And yet here you are, apparently with nothing more important to do than act like you have more important things to do.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

The push to remove statues is often connected to the Charleston shooting in June of 2015.

Image result for Dylan Roof Girlfriend

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

And I'm pretty sure that there are pictures of Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown holding guns.  But wait, the item you have a problem with is in his left hand.  That's a pretty pathetic excuse to blame a flag on what he did..  These flags and monuments have been around LONG before this problem child was born.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

You think it is an "excuse" to connect a racially motivated shooting to a picture of the person holding  a confederate flag in the days  before the shooting?

Are you aware that Roof himself posted the photo in his manifesto that he posted online at the time of the killings?

Some of your comments defy explanation.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

Yes, it's pathetic.  The fact that after the shooting is when everybody stuck their heads further up their asses to avoid talking about the real problem and blamed it all on a flag that has existed for over a century is pathetic.  

But you keep on with your bs and avoid the real problem.  Just to give you a hint, it's not the flag or the statue.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Ok, I'll give you your shot. What is the "real" problem that led Roof to massacre nine black people in a church?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert

The shooter (Roof), his family, everybody around him.  The flag didn't put the gun in his hand, drag him there and force him to start shooting.  He did it all on his own.  His family and everybody around him should have seen there was a problem and did nothing.  I'll even go as far as his family screwing up and teaching him that skin color means something.

Blaming an inanimate object, especially one that is centuries old, is a pathetic excuse.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Well, yeah, duh, the flag did not pull the trigger, you got me there.

-

One image from his Facebook page showed him wearing a jacket decorated with two obsolete flags used as emblems among American white supremacist movements, those of Rhodesia (present-day Zimbabwe ) and apartheid-era South Africa. [42] [43] [44] Another online photo showed Roof sitting on the hood of his car with an ornamental license plate with a Confederate flag on it. [45] According to his roommate, Roof expressed his support of racial segregation in the United States and had intended to start a civil war . [46]

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

I dont think people get it yet.

The youth of America.. And the youth of the world... Have international friends now.

They know racism is Wrong and are sick of it. They want it gone just like cigarette smoking.  

GOOD !!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

How about banning "Gone With the Wind"?  According to Wikipedia, here is the reaction to that movie:

African-American reaction

Black commentators criticised the film for its depiction of black people and as a glorification of slavery. Carlton Moss , a black dramatist, complained in an open letter that whereas The Birth of a Nation was a "frontal attack on American history and the Negro people", Gone with the Wind was a "rear attack on the same". He went on to dismiss it as a "nostalgic plea for sympathy for a still living cause of Southern reaction". Moss further criticized the stereotypical black characterizations, such as the "shiftless and dull-witted Pork", the "indolent and thoroughly irresponsible Prissy", Big Sam's "radiant acceptance of slavery", and Mammy with her "constant haranguing and doting on every wish of Scarlett". [57]

Is it not a constant reminder, created WELL AFTER the event, just like the statues?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Gone with the wind is a movie, not a government sponsored symbol of white supremacy. If people don't like the movie, for whatever reason, then they don't have to see it. A statue is on public space to be seen by all. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Is Disney's "Song of the South" still being watched by children?  Or is the part with Uncle Remus deleted?  Zipedy doo dah, zippety ay.  My oh my what a wonderful day."

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

Is Disney's "Song of the South" still being watched by children?  Or is the part with Uncle Remus deleted?  Zipedy doo dah, zippety ay.  My oh my what a wonderful day."

Didn't Uncle Remus run against Trump in the primary? 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

There's that wonderful sense of humor.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

"If people don't like the movie, for whatever reason, then they don't have to see it."

If people don't like the name of the street they live on, for whatever reason, then they didn't have to move there.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

If people don't like the name of the street they live on, for whatever reason, then they didn't have to move there.

Put the statues in the dump and then people who like trash can live on the closest street.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

My statement was based a factual situation, and your response is ridiculous.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

My statement was based a factual situation, and your response is ridiculous.

I'm not actually in your head. Next time, post your link so your comment doesn't look ridiculous. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

My comment was NOT ridiculous - it might look so only to a person who was unaware of such actual news relevant to the topic here, but then instead of reacting in a way that displays such lack of knowledge, a wise person would just ask for a link to substantiate such a statement.  Actually, I'm surprised by the response you made, as I've almost always agreed with your common sense comments.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

I only made the comment because, without a link, your comment came off as a wisecrack. Mind reading and telepathy are not among my gifts. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I love that movie......."but, Miss Scarlett,  I never birthed no babies".