60 immigrants found in refrigerated truck trailer in Texas

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pj  •  7 years ago  •  29 comments

Associated Press

2 hrs ago

AAquY0n.jpg

© The Associated Press This Aug. 19, 2017 photo provided by U.S. Customs and Border Protection shows immigrants found in a load of ice-covered broccoli in a refrigerated trailer that was searched at a South Texas border checkpoint in Falfurri…

FALFURRIAS, Texas — Sixty immigrants have been found in a load of ice-covered broccoli in a refrigerated trailer that was searched at a South Texas border checkpoint, federal officials said Monday.

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection statement said nobody was hurt and the trucker was arrested at the Falfurrias checkpoint.

Agents on Saturday opened the padlocked trailer and found dozens of immigrants amid pallets of broccoli lined with ice. Customs officials say the temperature inside the trailer was 49 degrees (9 degrees Celsius). Some immigrants wore hooded heavy coats.

The immigrants — from Guatemala, Mexico, El Salvador and Hondurans — were detained and being processed for entering the U.S. illegally. The trucker faces immigrant smuggling charges.

Officials didn't immediately say where the produce was headed or provide further details on the investigation.

Last week, Border Patrol agents found 16 immigrants locked inside a semitrailer at a gas station in the South Texas city of Edinburg and 20 immigrants crammed into a locked semitrailer at an Interstate 10 checkpoint southwest of El Paso. All were in good condition.

Last month, 10 people entering the U.S. died after being packed with as many as 90 other people into a sweltering tractor-trailer that was found outside a San Antonio Walmart.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/60-immigrants-found-in-refrigerated-truck-trailer-in-texas/ar-AAquLmt?li=BBnbcA1

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    7 years ago

Officials didn't immediately say where the produce was headed or provide further details on the investigation.

This is incredibly disturbing.  I NEED to know where that broccoli is going!  

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    7 years ago

Man. Two lessons there. People who are desperate for a better future will take some interesting measures to try to make that happen AND don't eat broccoli coming from Mexico. Who knows what is mixed in with it.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Guadalajara  was one of the cities I lived in Mexico.

Why doesn't the UN pay attention to Mexico?    It is disgraceful what these people go through to live, to eat, to work, to have shelter, to have anything that normal human beings have.  It is not a few, not a hundred, not a thousand, but a million.

Never, but never eat vegetables from Mexico!  You don't want to know what their fertilizer is.

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Depends on where in Mexico. There are some very nice areas throughout has been my experience. More often than not. However, the destitute areas are definitely crazy.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Never, but never eat vegetables from Mexico!  You don't want to know what their fertilizer is.

Sadly - I also know what their fertilizer is.  When they come into the US to work in the fields we have to teach them about food safety and sanitation.     

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Mexico, unto itself, is destitute.  The government has taken everything.  Have left its citizens with nothing.  Mexico is beautiful as well as most of its people.  We left when the sugar refinery's daughter was kidnapped. 

Pedro
Professor Participates

I've lived and worked in Mexico.  Mexico unto itself isn't destitute. There are however definitely destitute people there without a doubt. Here as well in the States. Appallingly so.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Story.....going to our villa in Cuernavaca the staff was supposed to give us bottled water.  I found out that they were filling our bottles with tap water.  No wonder our guests were getting sick!  Another thing.....no fresh vegetable salads.  They have no sanitation.

Pedro
Professor Participates

Plenty of tequila there. You really need anything else?

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

I've never been to Cuernavaca. But isn't it a pretty upscale place?

(I've been to Mexico City, Taxco, etc. Spent an entire summer in Patzcuaro (In Michoacan). Trips to PuertoVallata

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Cuernavaca is lovely.  But, like most of Mexico IMO one needs to only walk the streets to see how most of its people live and work.

Of course, when one travels to a "tourist spot" it is completely different.

Pedro
Professor Participates

That is false. Having lived in Monterrey, but traveled quite a bit around the country, I didn't find that to be true in most places. Not any more or less than here anyway in the States.

The destitute areas are appalling, but most places aren't like that. If anything, they mirror rural America fairly well. Blue collar living. Do they have everything in life they dream of? Probably not, but they don't all live in little shanty's and shacks either (or worse). That is a popular misconception.

Does that mean the government isn't corrupt? No. Does that mean there aren't appalling living conditions? No. They aren't the vast net you are casting though. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Pedro   7 years ago

It is true. 

Do you call making 50 cents a day working and living on dirt floors good?

I am really happy that you find that most Mexican people are living a good life.  Makes me wonder why they try so desperately to come to the U.S.

Pedro
Professor Participates

The grass is always greener.

Your sensationalism notwithstanding, things definitely aren't as you are portraying them, for most anyway. In fact, if you look at percentages, the States aren't much better than Mexico for impoverished or lower economic class people.

For example, minimum wage here in Utah is still $7.25/hour. If you work 40 hours a week, you will make $ 15,080.00 in a year.

The average 1 bedroom apartment in the state is $682/month. In Salt Lake City itself, it is actually $825. Balance that against the $1160 you make before taxes. Then factor in food, utilities, and transportation at the very least.

Source: 

That is the Mexico equivalent of making the 50 cents a day you claim people make there. Possibly even worse.

But let's look in broader terms.

Average annual income in Mexico (net) in USD - $12,850 or $1070.83 per month. Definitely low, but also absolutely not 50 cents a day.

Average annual income in United States(net) in USD- $23,938 or $1994.83 per month. Definitely more, but also still a pittance

Source: 

Seems like a bit of a disparity there. 

Average cost of living in Mexico (rent, bills for a furnished studio apartment in a normal area) - $348 (8 mbps). Add internet for an average of  $21.  USD

Average cost of living in United States (rent, bills for a furnished studio apartment in a normal area) - $1186. Add internet for an average of $48 (8mbps). USD

Source: 

So, the cost of living in the states is 162% higher than what it is in Mexico and yet the remaining income of the average monthly incomes after bills is almost the same. I'd say we have it worse here.

Interesting quote from one of those listed sources:

Overall job availability in Mexico is slightly lower than the global average and hours are much longer, as reported in the Better Life Index published by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. The average amount of working hours per year amounts to 2,226, which is much higher than the global average of 1,765 hours per year.

However, Mexico's level of economic freedom is 66.8, which is slightly higher than the global average of 60.3, as stated by the Index of Economic Freedom. The Mexican economy in general has continued to advance and grow, with trade in particular seeing many benefits and increased freedoms.

Despite lower wages, longer hours and less access to education, Mexicans in general have a higher level of life satisfaction than many other countries, with 82 percent claiming they have more positive daily experiences than negative ones, compared to the global average of 76 percent.

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro  replied to  Pedro   7 years ago

It's also worth noting that while the normal work day is 10 hours in Mexico, you also get a 2 hour lunch break.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Guadalajara  was one of the cities I lived in Mexico.

I spent some time there as well. Wonderful city!(Or at least it was at the time...that was before drugs).

Did they still have the wonderful markets at Tlaqepaque?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

It has been a long time since we lived in Guadalajara.  Yes, I understand that it has been completely taken over by drug cartels.

I totally love Mexico, but thoroughly understand why some of its people will do anything to leave. 

Pedro
Professor Participates

Yeah, the drug cartel aspect is unfortunate and sad. It was much easier to deal with when it was two major cartels, but now that those fractured into a lot of smaller regional cartels, it has become much more problematic. I mean, they really still answer to one primary source, but since they are often competing cartels, the violence becomes even worse.