╌>

Leader Of Black Student Assembly At USC Says Horse Mascot Is Racist !

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  it-is-me  •  7 years ago  •  52 comments

Leader Of Black Student Assembly At USC Says Horse Mascot Is Racist !

http://www.opslens.com/2017/08/23/leader-black-student-assembly-usc-says-horse-mascot-racist/

The United States has been understandably on edge following the violence in Charlottesville that claimed the life of a counter protester.  While dialogue about racism and white supremacy continue to dominate headlines as Confederate monuments are being removed across the country, some have found themselves reaching for random acts of racism.

Case in point, the University of Southern California where the mascot—a white horse named Traveler— is now being called into question.  According to Saphia Jackson, a co-director of the USC Black Student Assembly, the horse was named after Robert E. Lee’s horse Traveller and therefore it is a racist act right in their own backyard.  She spoke at a rally where people gathered to oppose the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, VA, and encouraged the crowd not to remain silent.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   seeder  It Is ME    7 years ago

The STUPID is getting REALLY, REALLY, REALLY thick around here these days.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

Indeed it is.  The progressive mind at work.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   seeder  It Is ME  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

I think I saw a Tree yesterday, that offended me. I am petitioning the city to have it cut down. /s

Just shoot me NOW !

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

A White Birch?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I think so. Can't be sure, but it MUST come down anyway. My being Offended is more important. :-)

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

The STUPID is getting REALLY, REALLY, REALLY thick around here these days.

Thanks for that admission.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Thanks for that admission.

That's sooooo CUTE ! My 18 month Old Grandson Says "Go away" in a cute way too.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   seeder  It Is ME    7 years ago

The USC Trojans better change their name too. The Old and the Bold Troyans back then, Had.....wait for it....wait for it.......SLAVES !

Ain't that a bitch !

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Even the author of this POS article notified us of the fact that black students thought this was  BS:

Naturally, representatives from the Black Student Assembly declined to respond to requests for interviews from multiple media outlets following this story. 

But that won't stop Comment removed for skirting the CoC [ph] from using one person's dumb comment to smear the whole group.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide

So..... Saphia Jackson, a co-director of the USC Black Student Assembly....is an Ass ?

Junior Participates

But that won't Comment removed for context [ph]from using one person's dumb comment to smear the whole group.  

Thanks for coming forward so eagerly and promptly as a case-in-point.

It Is ME
Masters Guide

But that won't stop Comment removed for context [ph] from using one person's dumb comment to smear the whole group.  

Thanks for coming forward so eagerly and promptly as a case-in-point.

Comment removed for skirting the CoC [ph]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

She is a democrat and that is their party symbol.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

I wonder what any representative from the USC White Student Assembly has to say?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

That is really funny!   There isn't a white anything any longer.

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

I know. It's terrible that people who have never had to fight for their cultural identity, much less the actual right to be viewed as human, suddenly have to share.

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Pedro   7 years ago

BAM!, Peter.  👍🏻

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

There isn't a white anything any longer.

Oh, c'mon.  You underestimate yourselves.  There's still all that  rightwing bitterness, bigotry, resentment, fake-victimhood, supremacy and general butt-hurt at seeing the birthright of white privilege shrink away.  Thats been sustaining the unhappy white people for the last 50 years and it's still alive and "well," for a disease that is. 

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Nice  tag-team race-baiting you two have going there.  Keep up the good work!!  Richard Spencer will be proud that he's been so successful with you.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide

A member of the USC Black Student Assembly ?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Atheist,

You know 'skirting the COC' is a violation also, right?  Instead of spending your time here insulting others, why don't you spend it doing something constructive?  Or you could go down with Newsvine as it sinks?

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

You know 'skirting the COC' is a violation also, right?

You mean like a comment that threatens someone about "skirting?"  I note that the term "skirting" is applied by the rightwingers for any comment that bothers them, if that's what you mean.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

An Asian named Robert Lee removed from broadcasts in Virginia, protests over a horse's name...

This country has lost its mind. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

The left side of it...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

The next complaint we will hear is going to be that Santa Claus should be banned, because he's white. Watch for a protest march at Christmas.

insanity.jpg

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Lets not forget he's a white, male, CHRISTIAN symbol.....

He's got the liberal triple whammy going against him

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

Awwww. you hazing a sad? 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Well all us sad's have to stick together...

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Well all us sad's have to stick together...

Oh!  Do you mean like the KKK stick's together?

Or like the Neo-NAZIs stick together and march together and so on?

Like that RIGHT?  Those guys like to "stick together", RIGHT?

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!    7 years ago

According to Saphia Jackson, a co-director of the USC Black Student Assembly, the horse was named after Robert E. Lee’s horse Traveller and therefore it is a racist act right in their own backyard.

The concern about the horse's name is BS.  Here are the FACTS:

In August 2017 concern arose that the horse's name had a connection to Robert E. Lee's horse from the 1860s; however, Traveler was acquired with his name, in its current spelling (as opposed to the spelling of Lee's horse, "Traveller") in 1958 after he had become unreliable as a movie horse.

The Horse was NOT named in honor of Lee's horse.  It's not even the same spelling.  So the whole controversy is just made-up bullshit.

Several horses have been "Traveler" over the years, of breeds ranging from  Tennessee Walking horses , to  Arabian horses  and some  crossbred  animals. The current mascot, Traveler VII, is a purebred  Andalusian horse , owned by Joanne Asman. An eighth Traveler was in training, but according to a post on the  Spirit of Troy  Facebook account, Traveler 8 died on or about October 8, 2013. "It is with Sadness that I let you all know that Traveler number 8 who many of you did not have the opportunity to meet passed away. He was only 14 years old. For those who had the opportunity to see this bold, arched neck, beautiful creature run on the field for some of the games last year, he will be missed. Most of the fans did not realize when we switched Traveler 7 & Traveler 8 out, but for those who did know, he will be missed. Traveler 7 continues forward for his 11th year as Traveler."

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

Those facts are all in the article. That makes Miss Jacksons claim BS, not the article.

Junior Participates

That makes Miss Jacksons claim BS, not the article.

Since that's been pretty much universally noted, even by Ms. Jackson's fellow blacks students silence on the matter, just how long are the butt-hurt rightwingers going to keep beating this dead horse issue.  Will it take a public tar-and-feathering of the young woman to satisfy their hurt fee-fees.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Since that's been pretty much universally noted, even by Ms. Jackson's fellow blacks students silence on the matter, just how long are the butt-hurt rightwingers going to keep beating this dead horse issue.

That's a very good question.  I would have guessed that once the FACTS were revealed then the 'discussion', such as it is, would end.  But it does seem as though the TRUTH is insignificant to those who simply want to argue, and argue they do using any excuse to keep the argument going.

The horse, Traveler 8, is dead.  Yet, there are some here who will beat any old dead horse they can keep beating regardless of how dead it is.  That says more about them than it does the topic of this or any item posted in any forum here.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  It Is ME   7 years ago

Those facts are all in the article. That makes Miss Jacksons claim BS, not the article.

This time I have to disagree with you Sam (It-Is-Me).  The arguments here are NOT about the FACTS in the article, the comments and arguments here in this 'discussion' (such as it is) are nothing but an excuse to bash people who believe differently than others.  This entire discussion has been used as an EXCUSE to piss and moan by the pissers and moaners.  It has NOTHING to do with THE FACTS in the article.  You are wrong this time.  Sorry.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
link   seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

The arguments here are NOT about the FACTS in the article, the comments and arguments here in this 'discussion' (such as it is) are nothing but an excuse to bash people who believe differently than others.

I would have to say it is about ONE person, as the arguments go. But.....It only takes ONE:

"No. 6. A good tactic is one your people enjoy." They'll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They're doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones."

FOR THE FEW, AT THE EXPENSE OF THE MANY, as always !

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

This has proven my biggest gripe about discussion sites. When an article is put up for discussion, you should read the article first. All the facts were there plain to see, including the fact that Ms. Jackson, should have gotten her facts straight before opening her mouth (not bad enough to make such a fuss over a horse name for a perceived insult). Talk about much to do about nothing. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Well actually Perrie...

It shows just how far some will go....

And in that limited purpose it has value. (outside the discussion aspect of forums)

I put it in the same class that we are all white so we are just as guilty of everything any white person ever done to anyone else.

Can we help it if some wish to spout off such garbage here every day?

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Not to mention that this was exactly one person's comment which seems not to have generated an iota of support from even her fellow black students.  The taking of some random comment by one person and trying to smear an entire group is called something.  I just can't seem to remember the word for it right now, though.  I think it rhymes with fig-o'-tree.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Progressive is the word you're searching for.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I'd like to show how many issues are shades of gray.

I put it in the same class that we are all white so we are just as guilty of everything any white person ever done to anyone else.

That does appear to be the case with Ms. Jackson, but this article seems to be specifically her POV. There is nothing to prove otherwise. I am sure she has some others among her group who agree with her, but....

The taking of some random comment by one person and trying to smear an entire group....

Is also true. I find most generalizations that people make are not true. 

Look, we all know that there are extremes at both sides of the political spectrum. The problem arises when we let them dictate the discussion and recently, that seems to be what happens. We need to back away from that.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I'd like to show how many issues are shades of gray.

I can offer a big one girl,

We are all human so we are just as guilty of everything every human has ever done. (at least capable, or maybe even culpable of it)

That actually feels more like a nuanced truth than a shade of grey, But, it can be interpreted that way.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

We are all human so we are just as guilty of everything every human has ever done. (at least capable, or maybe even culpable of it)

That is BULLSHIT!

Maybe YOU want to accept being guilty for what Hitler did, but not me.  I had nothing to do with it.  But YOU go ahead and share the blame for the Holocaust if you want to.  You go for it!  If you want it, YOU GOT IT!  It's YOURS now.  YOU OWN IT!

(What a totally bullshit comment to make!)thumbs down

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

WHOOSH....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Yep, right over her head......

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

So this is what the left has come to.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Actually, YOU have provided a GREAT EXAMPLE of right were the RIGHT's head is at.  Up their asses with HATE and LIES and more stupidass memes.

Thank you!applause

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

Which part of the article was a lie?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

Show me where I lied?  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

Lol! Snowflake syndrome is going to require a lot more operators!

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Saphia Jackson is a dope. I fully support removing symbols of white supremacy but a horse is just a horse no matter who rode it. One of the most famous war horses in history was Napoleon's horse "Marengo." If I had a horse like it, I could name it in honor of Marengo and it could have absolutely nothing to do with Napoleon's view of the world. Same goes for Robert E Lee. Just because I like his horse doesn't mean that I like the man who rode it.