╌>

Does This Political Cartoon Infuriate You ?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  16 comments

Does This Political Cartoon Infuriate You ?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

Comic relief !!  finally....LOL  

Thanks ! Sorry I have nothing funny to add at this time. Maybe some other time. The ones I do have aren't funny and have no place here.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

As the liberal Washington Post explains:

The first problem with the cartoon is it’s crassness. People are still being saved, and it’s making fun of those same people.

The second problem is the stereotypes. It’s almost a caricature of what you’d expect a liberal cartoonist to draw in response to conservative Texans relying upon the government in their time of crisis. The Confederate flag T-shirt. The Gadsden Flag. The reference to being saved by God (which seems extremely dismissive of Christianity). The Texas secession banner. It’s all kind of … predictable? …

But the cartoon suggests that normal people who believe in small government should essentially forfeit government help in their time of need — or, at least, that they should suddenly recognize that their belief in smaller government is wrongheaded. It’s all very smug,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/08/30/politicos-tone-deaf-unhelpful-cartoon-about-conservatives-being-rescued-from-harvey-by-the-government/?utm_term=.fe33a145c74eand it gives extremely short shrift to very complex issues.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

It's a typical progressive strawman. If a conservative supports limited government  (you know, like in the Constitution), they pretend he wants no government. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

True I actually pictured the guy in the basket more like a far northwesterner from some outback area like Wyoming  or Montana for some reason, But the God part I agree with.

People in situations like this seems to have forgotten where the rain came from to begin with.  It wasn’t man made.

But the helicopter was. So why thank GOD for your rescue ?

And yes a liberal surely drew this just as conservatives did for the last 8 years. So what ! 

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
link   tomwcraig  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

It also ignores the fact that the Liberal Democratic Mayor of Houston told people that everything will be fine, and there was no need to evacuate.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

No more than Trump counting heads at his Texas rally/pep talk infuriates me.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

That was pretty stupid.

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!    7 years ago

That cartoon reminded me of this clip.  You can go right to 1:35 and watch to 3:18 if you want to skp all the capital punishment stuff.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    7 years ago

I was born in Texas, live in El Paso, my daughter lives in Pearland (look it up on a map). I thought it was funny when I saw it and still do.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

The cartoon is funny because we all see some truth in it. 

Nobody imagines that all Texans are alt-right nutzoids... but we all know that a pretty high proportion of them are alt-right nutzoids. 

"Keep yer filthy gummint hands off my Medicaid!" 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6    7 years ago

Very poor taste considering what is still going on there but not unexpected.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

I don't think it is funny......just stupid.    It appears that those in evacuation centers are primarily minorities.