╌>

ISRAEL RESCUE COALITION TO SEND SPECIAL CRISIS UNIT TO HOUSTON

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  60 comments

BYBECKY BROTHMAN, Jerusalem Post,  AUGUST 30, 2017

The Psychotrauma and Crisis Response Unit deals with situations where bystanders need emotional support -- what United Hatzalah calls "psychological first-aid."

391501.jpg
Members of the Psychotrauma and Crisis Response Unit in Jerusalem. (photo credit:COURTESY UNITED HATZALAH)

A team of Israeli mental health professionals will arrive in Houston on Thursday morning to help victims of Hurricane Harvey.

The response effort was organized by the Israel Rescue Coalition, which is comprised of hundreds of volunteer responders primarily specializing in search and rescue operations. The IRC has been involved in major disaster relief efforts around the globe, including operations in Japan, Haiti and Nepal.

When asked what was most needed in Houston, the IRC was told that psychological and emotional assistance was a top priority.

“People need help on the ground. They need to be able to wrap their minds around what was lost and they need assistance figuring out how to cope and where to go from here," said Dov Maisel, Director of International Operations for the IRC and Vice President of United Hatzalah. "That is the biggest challenge currently facing all Houston residents who have suffered during Hurricane Harvey."

In order to help people impacted psychologically by the hurricane, the IRC is utilizing the Psychotrauma and Crisis Response Unit of United Hatzalah, a volunteer-based emergency medical services organization based in Jerusalem with branches around the world.

The Psychotrauma and Crisis Response Unit deals with situations where bystanders need emotional support -- what United Hatzalah calls "psychological first-aid."

Miriam Ballin, the director of the Psychotrauma and Crisis Response Unit, is a Houston-native and will lead the mission.

“I’m happy to be given the opportunity to head back to my hometown and help during this time of crisis. Our team provides the IRC with a new capability developed in Israel that no one else in the world is currently doing," Ballin said.

"The community in Houston and the people of Texas feel a strong connection to the State of Israel and many of them are big supporters of the state and of the Jewish People. It is therefore, our responsibility to help them in their time of need, as friends and professionals who can offer help to our fellow human beings," she continued.

"We are going tonight to help all of the people of Houston, no matter what community you belong to or what your background is, from one 'lone star state' to another, we will be there for you.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Israel sends Humanitarian Aid around he world, wherever a need arises.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: Tikun Olam.

Help one, it is as if you have helped the entire planet.

This group makes the world better by what they do.,

This old world gets better one good deed at a time.

Beyond the obvious physical and financial challenges of human generated and natural disasters there is the emotional trauma aspect.

We see this first emerge in the very young, the elderly, and the infirm. 

All need help in such events.

It is the greatest strength a person has, not at all a weakness to ask for and be open to help when and if needed and wanted.

Good on them.

Good on you for bringing this to our attention Buzz.

Shalom U'vrachem veh Shalom U'vracha.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Indeed, beyond the financial and physical help one may need, thee is the mental and emotional trauma that they suffer as well, and often that is the area where help is needed most.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Kudos to Israel.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

very few do very little for nothing.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Homelessness is a tragedy beyond comprehension.  Thank you to Israel for bringing this much needed service to the Houston area. 

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Americas a huge prosperous country I think we could have taken care of this without israel's help. My question is as always what's the catch ? very few do very little for nothing.

Considering the fact that Israel has wanted us to go to war for them for years now, maybe that has just a little something to do with this eh ?

I don't look a gift horse in the mouth but I do check to see if its a trojan horse before accepting it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

Why does there have to be a catch? Israel has done this before in the Balkans during the Yugoslav break up to help the Bosnians and let in Africans who were running from Boko Haram. 

They are an allie. Maybe they just want to help?

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Maybe they just want to help?"

Maybe ?  Yeah Maybe.

Maybe they want more, I dont know for sure, do you ?  For sure ?

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

Israel has historically responded to natural disasters throughout the world. They have sent their teams to the Phillipines, Haiti, Nepal, the Balkans, Japan, Turkey, Kosovo and yes, to the US when Katrina hit.

I know that many people would prefer to ignore this, or unwaveringly view Israel with a jaundiced eye.

If that's your prerogative, fine.

I prefer Israel's prerogative when it comes to their robust response when others are in need.

Have a nice day.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

Israel has historically responded to natural disasters throughout the world. They have sent their teams to the Phillipines, Haiti, Nepal, the Balkans, Japan, Turkey, Kosovo and yes, to the US when Katrina hit.

And also Syria-- a country who's policy is to destroy them!

Perhaps, when you think about whose responsibility it is to contribute humanitarian aid to Syria, Israel would not be top of the list. The historical tensions are well documented and are ongoing. Yet we are now seeing reports that Israel is not just supporting the humanitarian efforts, but taking a lead. As one report stated, Syrian children have told journalists: “They teach us that Israel is the country that hates us the most. We came and saw with our own eyes what they are giving us here.”

It is not surprising that Syrians are taught to hate Israelis. Nor is it surprising that Israel is rolling up her sleeves and providing practical support. Sadly, we do not hear enough about this type of project in the media.

The project has been going on for almost a year and yet reports have only circulated in the last few weeks. But Israel has a long history of humanitarian work that has included aid and field hospitals set up in Haiti following hurricanes in the country and medical aid to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. However, an intervention this close to home is more than just a gesture or a sharing of expertise. As Reuters reported, "[Israeli] Commanders say they were frustrated at doing nothing while atrocities like public beheadings by Islamic State-aligned fighters could be seen in Syrian towns just 5 km (3 miles) away."

Israel felt a moral duty to help.

(LINK)

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

What a delightfully cynical response to a humanitarian effort.

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

"What a delightfully cynical response to a humanitarian effort."

Sometimes it pays to look at all angles. Some people never do, some do when it's too late. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

Sometimes it pays to look at all angles. Some people never do, some do when it's too late. 

And what, exactly, could their "angle" be? What is the worst case scenario you could possibly imagine? Do you relly think a tiny country like this could push the U.S. around-- even if it wanted to?

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

do you think the only way to influence people to do what you want them to is to "push them around" honey works far better. Being sweet, talking nice, doing what they want..... ask any woman. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

Maybe they just want to help?"

Maybe ?  Yeah Maybe.

Maybe they want more, I dont know for sure, do you ?  For sure ?

Israel helped in Haiti after their earthquake.

Do you also think they did that to "get something " from Haiti? (Haiti is a very poor country with many problems-- they don't have much to offer).

And BTW, several other countries helped Haiti as well-- do you think they all did it just to get something from Haiti?

The U.S. helped Haiti-- does your "skepticism" also extend to the U.S. wanting to get something from Haiti?

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

since wen is skepticism consider paranoia ? 

Is it a word play to score some imaginary points ?

Never mind I really don't care.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago
Krishna
link   09/01/17 01:47:39AM  @Krishna :

.And BTW, several other countries helped Haiti as well-- do you think they all did it just to get something from Haiti?

The U.S. helped Haiti-- does your paranoia extend to the U.S. wanting to get something from Haiti?

Incidentally, what Israel did in Haiti was very different than the U.S. In fact, different from all the other countries helping Haiti:

CNN Reports:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

Perhaps you didn't comprehend the first words that Enoch said above:

"Tikun Olam.  Help one, it is as if you have helped the entire planet."

A Definition of Tikkun olam:

Tikkun olam is a Hebrew phrase that means "repairing the world" (or "healing the world") which suggests humanity's shared responsibility to heal, repair and transform the world.

In Judaism, it is considered an obligation to perform "Tukkun olam".  It is a form of charity, and charity is not charity if one expects or requires a return or benefit for performing it. 

If there is a "catch" as you so crudely put it, then IMO it would be only to counter the unreasonable unearned hatred visited upon Israel by the rest of the world, especially the United Nations, mostly because of the Muslim/Arab countries because of the required killing of the Jews as mandated in the Q'oran. However, due to "Tikkun Olam", Israel would continue to so serve the world even if it were loved by all the nations.  It would continue to be "A light among the nations." 

I really hope, Steve, that you have learned something from the responses to your comments.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago
(deleted)

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

"I really hope, Steve, that you have learned something from the responses to your comments."

I did but I doubt if it's what you think I "should" have.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Okay, clue me in. What DID you learn?  If you don't care to answer, I really don't mind.  I'm not trying to read your mind nor was I trying to proselytize by what I said - I only tried to let you know that there is a reason why Israel makes those humanitarian efforts which may differ from your belief.

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

While I accept your reason may be a reality I reserve the right to doubt its the only objective. 

Krishna
Professor Expert

Considering the fact that Israel has wanted us to go to war for them for years now,

False. They have never ever wanted anyone to go to war for them. And this is true for them  ore than anyone else. Why?

Because throughout their long history, the Jews have relied on people who let them down. So as a result, over many centuries, they learned a difficult lesson-- that the only ones they can rely on are themselves. *They probably have more of an attitude of self-reliance than any other country in the world).

Krishna
Professor Expert

. My question is as always what's the catch ? very few do very little for nothing.

Is that true of you as well? 

Sophomore Guide

yes

If one is really honest almost everything one does is never a totally selfless act. Even if it's done so YOU feel good about helping. You just got something in return. 

Krishna
Professor Expert

yes

OK-- I believe you.

But do you really think that everyone on earth is the same in that regard-- that no one ever helps someone just because they want to help--- and don't care if they get nothing back in return?

Sophomore Guide

"just because they want to help"

They want to help because they feel they need or want to for a reason. Satisfying That reason is their reward.

Its like a catch 22 ya really dont want it to be so, but it is.

weird eh ?

Thankfully I didn't make it that way i just recognize it is that way it is after it was once pointed out to me.

Why do you help people ? 

Krishna
Professor Expert

Why do you help people ? 

Because its my nature-- its who I am! 

(You can't get a Leopard to change its stripes!)

I expect nothing in return-- I just feel compassion for my fellow human beings. That's the way I'm "Wired".

People are different-- some just naturally want to help people in need. Others don't.

And there are different shades in between.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

"Even if it's done so YOU feel good about helping. You just got something in return."

Maybe Israel just wants to feel good about helping.  I think you might understand it all better if you were to read the explanation of "Tikkun Olam".

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Jews and American Indians share bonds in culture and customs. I do not see Israel expecting anything in return for sending help for the devastation that Harvey has caused. 

Few if any outside the Indian community know that the Cherokee, Creek, Homa, Kickapoo and Quapaw have had people on the ground in Houston for a week. They have sent ''fast water rescue teams'', boats, police officers, food and a great number of tribal members, all with experience in disasters to help. We expect nothing in return. It is what we do.  We were there for Katrina and many other disasters. 

Additionally many tribes have made substantial donations to the Red Cross and other charitable organizations.

It is what it is. 

Gakina Awiiya

Sophomore Guide
link   321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

When their president went behind our presidents back and asked congress to basically go to war for them I Lost all  trust in israel.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

"When their president went behind our presidents back and asked congress to basically go to war for them I Lost all  trust in israel."

Don't be so sure about that.

Boehner invites Benjamin Netanyahu to address Congress

Did the Obama Administration lie about Netanyahu?  (Updated and revised)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/02/08/did-the-obama-administration-lie-about-netanyahu/?utm_term=.788203bbff85

Krishna
Professor Expert

When their president went behind our presidents back and asked congress to basically go to war for them

Link?

Sophomore Guide

I've read Netanyahus transcript sense I said that. he didn't actually come out this time and ask for war from us. He did speak mainly about forcing continuing negotiations and rejecting the deal that was being offered.    

I stand corrected on that point, However,I posted elsewhere on here just now info where Israel needs he us to take out Iran’s nukes militarily (if anyone can) and that is always Netanyahus final solution and I believe in his mind the best solution.

I expect more of this from Israel, especially now that Iran has stopped allowing inspections.

Israel needs us and they are afraid. I don’t trust desperate people too far. If you do, good luck.

Krishna
Professor Expert

I posted else where on here just now info where israel needs he us to take out iran's nukes (if anyone can) and that is always netin s final solution and I believe in his mind the best solution.

Well perhaps he does feel that way-- I don't know. However, I wonder of he's naive enoughto think the U.S. would do that? In addition, many powerful Israelis are against an attack on Iran-- not the least of which was Meir Dagan, the ex-head of the Mossad!

But all of that has nothing to do with Israelis wanting to help other people. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

"I stand corrected on that point"

Sometimes it pays to learn the facts before jumping in with an opinion.

"I expect more of this from Israel, especially now that Iran has stopped allowing inspections."

The fact that Iran does not allow inspections of its military sites, and continues to defy UN restricitons is of no concern to you, as it would be a concern to Israel, and as it would be a concernt to the USA?

"Israel needs us and they are afraid."

Their need is limited to the new more powerful bunker bombs, if anything. Please show me your evidence that Israel is "afraid", any more than the rest of the world should be.

"I don’t trust desperate people too far."

Israel is NOT desperate. That is your opinion only, and you have no evidence that it is "desperate".

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thank you , Kavika, for sharing that information with the people here on NT. Not all Native Americans are drunks, dope addicts and lazy good-for-nothings that just sit around with their hands out for government handouts as some choose to believe.

Many Tribes have special fire fighting, search and rescue and life saving teams that go all around the US to help without expecting compensation or anything in return.

When people need help in emergencies and/or disasters there is no amount of money that can compensate for saving a life. We are all human beings. We are all connected. We are all Brothers and Sisters.