╌>

Republicans Left Reeling After Deal Between Trump and Democrats

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  321steve  •  7 years ago  •  23 comments

Republicans Left Reeling After Deal Between Trump and Democrats

WASHINGTON — Republicans were left fuming at a deal struck Wednesday between President Donald Trump and Democratic leaders that combines disaster aid for Hurricane Harvey victims with measures to keep the government open and extend the debt ceiling for three more months.

The agreement occurred during a late-morning Oval Office meeting between Trump, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Speaker Paul Ryan, Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi. During the meeting, Trump sided with the Democrats, agreeing to their demands for a short-term extension of government funding and the debt limit and rejecting Republicans’ efforts to seek a longer-term debt ceiling hike.

It was a blow to GOP plans to avoid a series of politically treacherous votes for their members, or at least provide cover for them by attaching it to the disaster relief bill.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republicans-left-reeling-after-deal-between-trump-democrats-n799326

“We had a very good meeting with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer," Trump said. "We agreed to a three-month extension on debt ceiling, which they consider to be sacred — very important — always we’ll agree on debt ceiling automatically because of the importance of it."

The deal, however, just pushes the threat of a government shutdown to December.

“Merry Christmas,” said Sen. John Thune, R-S.D

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
link   seeder  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

RBR.....  "None from me"

Sophomore Guide

OUCH !

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    7 years ago

No "ouch"

Just business as usual.

Sophomore Guide
link   seeder  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

"Just business as usual."

Yeah I know Obama subversified the dems all the time.  Anytime he wanted anything he went around his own party and made deals with the opposing side. And no one even cared or noticed .....

LOL         

I always said congress was going to hate this new guy before the masses did.  Looks Like I called it. 

insults, grandiose promises, intimidation and threats ARE trump's tools , he's perfected them and congress is gonna hate dealing with him because of it.

But Good luck controlling this mess republicans , you own it lock, stock and barrel.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

It's actually pretty funny, the Republicans, who have hated him from Day 1 since he's not part of the traditional good old boys clubs, their leaders have tried their best to short circuit him as not really a republican, now he cuts a deal with the Dems.....and you're shocked?  You're not happy?  How silly of you.

Sophomore Guide
link   seeder  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I'm not shocked I'm not unhappy. I dont care much about trump I just dont trust a word he says.   

I already know he'll do or say anything to get what he wants.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

It would seem with this deal that the republican party is becoming more polarized. There has to be some burned asses in the republican party. Especially after statements by Ryan and a few others regarding the debt ceiling.  

ausmth
Freshman Silent
link   ausmth  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Good point Kavika!

I see this as Trump telling Mitch and Paul to get their people in line or he will go talk to Chuck and Nan.  By working with the dems on this it makes it more costly for dems to refuse to do it again.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Now that they've jammed up the legislative calendar going into mid-term elections, good luck with stuffing DACA legislation into that agenda. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

Are there no Comments from our alt-right members? I suppose the puppet-masters have not yet distributed the authorized bullet-points.

It's tricky! The Unthinking FaithfulTM BELIEVE that Trump can do no wrong... but the Unthinking FaithfulTM also BELIEVE that dealing with Democrats is more evil than dealing with Satan...

The puppet-masters needn't worry. The Unthinking FaithfulTM have no difficulty BELIEVING two completely contradictory ideas. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I see this as stemming from two trump current obsessions.

First he knows his already thin popularity took a body blow after Charlottesville, which some people believe effectively ended his presidency. He badly needs something he can call a restart.

Secondly he thinks the GOP congressional leadership has not been sufficiently deferential to him.

Making some sort of an accommodation with the Democrats could conceivably help him in both areas.

I expect this to be a fleeting happenstance as we await his next excursion into perpetual chaos, which is always right around the corner.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I suppose...

I'm trying to imagine a typical Tea Partier... Their heads must be close to exploding. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

They are trying to convince themselves that Trump is playing eight dimensional chess.

He made a lot of money so he is always the smartest person in the room. That is always their "thinking".

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Over a little three month extension. I'm sure most of them see this as a big nothing burger. 

ausmth
Freshman Silent
link   ausmth  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Their heads must be close to exploding. 

Probably not since the tea party went after establishment Republicans too.  Did you know that OWS and the tea party both oppose crony capitalism?  Both wanted real tax reform and not gaming the rates to pay off the party's base?  I had a great conversation online with a guy camped out at Zuccotti Park.  When I saw that the elites of both parties were attacking them I knew both groups were hitting close to TPTB's little safe zone.

Bob!  I took bottled water to the local OWS camp out in front of the Federal Reserve.  They were great!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

When a person is elected POTUS his allegiance is not to a particular political Party, but the people of the U.S. 

I agree with Pres. Trump's decision. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

Talk about whiplash.   God what a joke.  I don't believe for one minute this piece of shit will honor any deal he makes and I think it's hysterical that the stupid media is jumping on this as if it's a done deal.  Foolish and premature.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
link   Vic Eldred    7 years ago

It was a blow to GOP plans to avoid a series of politically treacherous votes for their members, or at least provide cover for them by attaching it to the disaster relief bill.

That's too bad for congressional Republicans. So now they got to vote twice to expand the debt ceiling. If they want to blame someone they can start with Sens Mukowski, Collins and McCain. 

The good news is that these items, which would have been another battle with the resistance are now off the table and the decks are clear to discuss tax reform.

Sophomore Guide

"and the decks are clear to discuss tax reform.:

If That goes as well as everything else trump has been working on we'll still have the same tax code in 50 years.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
link   ausmth  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   7 years ago

The dems want it too.  The devil is in the details.  This current deal was a shot across the bow of Mitch and Paul.  It was also a stick in the eye of Flake, McCain, Collins and Murkowski.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
link   Vic Eldred    7 years ago

If That goes as well as everything else trump has been working on we'll still have the same tax code in 50 years.

Were you hoping for reform?

Sophomore Guide
link   seeder  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred   7 years ago

"Were you hoping for reform?"

I guess that would depend on what reform looks like. 

I was looking for two different candidates. I didn't get that either though.