╌>

On the equifax breach

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  7 years ago  •  18 comments

On the equifax breach
Has anyone seen the recent equifax commercial, offering the free service of searching the "dark web" - for the information of yours that was breached from them? My spidey senses went off immediately when I saw and heard this thing. A too-friendly woman describes this seemingly amazing offer with the glee and feigned concern of a home security salesman.

It was clear to me that something is amiss. I almost suspected that the breach may have been by design, in order to funnel the scared sheeple into a credit monitoring service. However, it seems that the purpose is something else, though equally reprehensible. Equifax wants you to sign into this service, and not read the fine print (as most people don't.)

Signing into this service precludes you from joining any class action lawsuit regarding the breach in the future.

Read about it here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/08/what-to-know-before-you-check-equifaxs-data-breach-website/?tid=pm_business_pop&utm_term=.e41df64e3fe5

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

There is virtually nothing free in this country.  The better the salesman makes it sound, the worse the deal is.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Equifax wants you to sign into this service, and not read the fine print (as most people don't.)

Signing into this service precludes you from joining any class action lawsuit regarding the breach in the future.

Not sure why anyone would want Equifax "helping' them with anything related to online security, at this point, but I am sure they will find some suckers.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Who knows - maybe my initial theory is also true.  Can you image?  A huge data source intentionally breaches credit info, as part of a scam to scare up business for their service to monitor the problem they caused - and a well planned legal document simultaneously prevents you from suing them.  That's some serious organized crime. By the way, they sure threw that slick commercial together in a pinch.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Good find.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Here's a dose of reality:

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce    7 years ago

Hal, I read an article this morning that stated that the ToS that Equifax has in place to prevent class action for checking if you're involved in the breach is unenforceable.

Then another article pops up that says Equiufax has stated that the ToS is applicable ONLY if you use the Credit Monitoring service.

There is already a Class Action filed against them in New York for the breach.  If you've been offered the monitoring service free of charge then you are part of the breech, and will probably be offered to participate in the Class Action.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Uncle Bruce   7 years ago

If you've been offered the monitoring service free of charge then you are part of the breech, and will probably be offered to participate in the Class Action.

There is a commercial getting heavy rotation on tv that is clearly trying to entice anyone and everyone to sign up for this 'free one time offer'.  It doesn't even mention the equifax breach specifically, but obviously that is the target audience.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Yeah, I'm seeing that commercial too.  More than likely they are setting up for the lawsuits by offering these services free to mitigate their settlement costs.

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    7 years ago

Yeah. I thought it interesting that between the time where Equifax allegedly became aware of the breach and when it was actually reported to the public, Equifax execs started selling off their shares in the company.

125 million users breached is crazy.

Who knows though, maybe this will force the way credit is handled to be revised and maybe that will be for the better?

But yeah, only a fool signs up for something Equifax is offering AFTER they had their breach, lol.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Pedro   7 years ago

Yeah, they are in complete 100% damage recovery mode now. Thinking of themselves and not what is happening to those in their database.

The wife an I both got those letters.....

They do strongly make it sound like they are protecting you, when in reality they are limiting your right to recover.