╌>

Jason Stockley, Ex-St. Louis Officer, Found Not Guilty in Killing of Black Man

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

Jason Stockley, Ex-St. Louis Officer, Found Not Guilty in Killing of Black Man

Source

A white former St. Louis police officer was found not guilty Friday of murdering a black man in 2011 by firing five times into his car after a high-speed chase.

Jason Stockley was acquitted of first-degree murder and armed criminal action charges by St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson.

Stockley escaped what could have been a lengthy prison sentence despite the fact that he was recorded on an internal video camera during the pursuit saying he intended to kill Anthony Lamar Smith.

"Of course I'm disappointed with the court's decision," Circuit Attorney Kimberly Gardner said after the verdict. “In light of the verdict, it’s time to take a harder look at how officer-involved shootings are addressed in our city."

Gardner said she understands and appreciates "the many challenges that face our city’s police officers."

"It’s very noble work," she said. "However, we need further examination and clarity in the laws that govern the use of deadly force by police officers.”

Stockley resigned from the force in 2013, the same year that the Board of Police Commissioners settled a wrongful death suit with Smith's family for $900,000.

In May 2016, Stockley was charged with first-degree murder. The probable cause statement said the gun recovered from Smith's car had Stockley's DNA on it.

Stockley opted for a bench trial rather than take his chances with a jury.

The case rekindled racial tensions not seen in the St. Louis-area since 2014 when a violent uprising erupted in nearby Ferguson, Missouri after the fatal police shooting of Michael Brown. And activists backed by many of St. Louis' black clergy had vowed to staged protests in Wilson acquitted Stockley.

City officials, fearing trouble, scheduled officers to work 12-hour shifts and prepared for the worst.

Smith was 24, a new dad and engaged to be married when he was killed.

In their initial report, police said Smith was involved in a drug deal behind a fried chicken restaurant north of downtown St. Louis when he took off. And one, according to documents obtained by NBC affiliate KSDK, Stockley could be heard saying he was "going to kill this (expletive) — don't you know."

Stockley instructed his partner, who was driving the police SUV, to ram Smith's car.

"Stockley then approached Smith's car on the driver's side and shot five times into the car, striking the victim Anthony Smith with each shot," former St. Louis Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce said last year.

After the killing, homicide detectives from the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department deemed it justifiable. But the internal affairs and federal investigations continued.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary    7 years ago

Is it any wonder why minorities don't trust the judicial process in the U.S.?  This guy intended to murder someone while under the color of authority and did just that, and hit him with each of 5 shots he fired.

This seems like a miscarriage of justice.  As a breaking story it's a little short on information.  I'd like to see the reasoning for the judge's ruling, as it was a bench trial.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

DNA evidence is now fake news I guess.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Not sure what 'Fake News' has to do with this, can you explain?  It was a bench trial, so the judge heard the case and rendered a verdict.  Seemed pretty cut and dried to me.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

The officer's DNA was found on the weapon, and the victim's was not, thus indicating a setup.  How else do you explain a judgement that pretends DNA evidence isn't relevant?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Okay, I agree there was a miscarriage of justice here, I'm pretty sure you and I are in agreement with that.  With the few facts available I can't see how you got to 'Fake News' from there.  Doesn't make a logical connection.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce    7 years ago

What this story doesn't bring out is that Stockley can be seen in some of the dash cam footage carrying an unauthorized AK pistol.  I'm disappointed in this outcome.  Clearly, this officer intended to kill someone that night.

The backstory right now is the Missouri governor has already mobilized the Missouri Nation Guard for the expected protests.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Uncle Bruce   7 years ago

Some cops do not need to be cops. Unfortunately it takes something like this to reveal that truth....

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

Agreed.  He's been off the force since 2013, but it's pretty obvious he intended to kill, killed, then tried to tamper with the evidence.  In this case, I hope the Federal government steps in with civil rights charges.....and I don't wish that often.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

How in the hell did the judge find this cop not guilty with the evidence against him. How in the hell does anyone expect any minority to trust the cops. Rhetorical questions. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

I have no idea what the judge knew and based his verdict on.  His decision.