╌>

Dairy Queen owner’s ‘politically incorrect’ sign for ‘God and country’ sparks corporate response

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  redding-shasta-jefferson-usa  •  7 years ago  •  31 comments

Dairy Queen owner’s ‘politically incorrect’ sign for ‘God and country’ sparks corporate response
A Dairy Queen franchisee in Wisconsin made national headlines this week for a warning sign to potential customers — phrases like “God bless America” and “Merry Christmas” are welcomed in his establishment.

Businessman Kevin Scheunemann of Kewaskum put up a “politically incorrect” sign roughly four years ago after a customer complained that he allowed Christian music to be played inside. His policies were essentially a local affair until a customer visiting from Oregon took offense and complained on Dairy Queen’s corporate Facebook page.

The sign, first reported by a local CBS affiliate on Monday, includes support of the following phrases and gestures:

“Merry Christmas”
“Happy Easter”
“God bless America”

“We salute and honor the flag, give thanks to troops, police officers and firefighters.
“Give thanks for the USA and give free sundaes to veterans on Veterans Day.”
Mr. Scheunemann’s sign jokes that 24 hours notice must be given to request a “snowflake safe space.”

“I felt the sign was appropriate to hang in terms of just being transparent about the types of expression that the owner and/or the staff may do in terms of supporting God and country,” he told the station. “It just seems like those kinds of values and principles, for some reason, are becoming controversial in our society.”

News of the sign then spread to an NBC affiliate in Chicago and across the nation throughout the week.

“The sign expresses the views of this independent owner only and does not speak for ADQ [American Dairy Queen] Corporation or any of our other independent franchise owners,” a Dairy Queen spokesperson said, Fox News Channel reported Friday. “We expect our franchisees and employees to treat every person who walks through our doors with the utmost dignity and respect. Nothing less is acceptable.”

Mr. Scheunemanntold NBC-5 Chicago on Tuesday that he was “grateful” and “humbled” by the support he has received for his policy, particularly via an email written by a Philadelphia police officer.

“I set out to encourage others in my Christianity and love of country, and I ended up being the one encouraged,” he told the station. http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/15/dairy-queen-owners-politically-incorrect-sign-for-/
Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

This Christmas, do not display any signs that say "Merry Christmas" or even pictures of Santa Claus, because someone might be offended. Soon you will be put in jail for saying to someone (and being overheard by some wimp) "Merry Christmas".  OMG Such fools these mortals be.  Even in China the stores put up huge displays with "Merry Christmas" all over them. In a couple months I'll take photos of them to prove it. And everyone thinks there's more freedom in America than there is in China. What a joke.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    7 years ago

In my experience, people are much more likely to be upset with "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" than "Merry Christmas".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1    7 years ago

I think you're right, Sandy.  It just took a few complaints coupled by the overzealous application of PC to target something that has been traditional in this culture for centuries, so I do believe as well that a lot more people are upset about the change than those who complained.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    7 years ago

This isn't about PC.  This is about aggressive fake patriotism and Christianity.

And to claim we'll be in jail for saying "Merry Christmas" is just silly.  Nobody has ever suggested such a thing.

Dairy Queen has a corporate policy of inclusiveness, as is their right.  They are not required to pander to this franchise owner's pandering.

The first year I don't get a bunch of "Keep Christ in Christmas" and "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "It's Merry Christmas, NOT Happy Holidays" memes in my Facebook feed, I'll buy into the Christian persecution complex.  I have a feeling that will be a long time coming.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    7 years ago

What is the point of Christmas if Jesus is not the reason for the season?  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    7 years ago

Ask the followers of religions co-opted by Christianity.  Why DO you celebrate Jesus's birth on a day when he wasn't born, anyway?

Also, is Christmas the only holiday celebrated during the winter season?  No.  

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.5    replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    7 years ago

Take some time and read what the " Witches of America " think about it  and while you are  at it see Halloween, and what that is all about, so neither X mas Nor Easter, nor Halloween, have anything to do with Jesus Christ or the Bible!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    7 years ago

I like that sign.  It should be posted at businesses all across the flyover heartland of America.  It's a great message.  applausethumbs up

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.7    7 years ago

I'm sure you do.

I think it's silly.

But I like ice cream.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.8    7 years ago

That you don't like it and think it's silly is fine.  We are all entitled to our opinions.  As long as one or more among those who don't care for it don't try to in some way compel it being taken down one way or another, we're all good.  Live and let live.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.9    7 years ago

It's a manufactured controversy.  A straw man.  Nobody is offended by his support of Christmas, the police, firefighters, or veterans.  But he has to pretend that they are so he can feel all persecuted, and convince others that he and they are being persecuted.  And that's silly.  But everybody has a right to be silly, I guess.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Comment removed off topic [ph]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @5    7 years ago

crazypatiencelaughing dude

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

News of the sign then spread to an NBC affiliate in Chicago and across the nation throughout the week.

Really?  Who gives a flying fart what Kevin WhoGivesAShitWhatHisLastNameIs puts on the sign at his Kewaskum, Wisconsin (population somewhere between 2 and 4,000) Dairy Queen?  Ten bucks says there are also signs posted in his fine dining establishment that say 'Ask About My Wife's Custom-Knitted Sled Dog Booties' and 'Moose Processing Around Back'. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @6    7 years ago

Merry Wintermas to you, too, Sister. LOL

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Bad news kids - Christmas is cancelled this year.

AAqEB9q.jpg