╌>

Mná na hÉireann ¦ Women of Ireland in History, Mythology, and Early Irish Society

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  kpr37  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

Mná na hÉireann ¦ Women of Ireland in History, Mythology, and Early Irish Society

Were the rights of women really so good in ancient Ireland? You will hear this fact repeated often, but is it true? With a bit of research we find the truth is much more complex than it first appears...

The contribution of Irish women is too great to sum up in 20 minutes so this short video provides a broad overview drawing from our history and mythologies. Learn about the status of women at home and at work, marriage, divorce, and a handful of powerful Irish women and goddesses.

"Mná na hÉireann ¦ Women of Ireland in History, Mythology, and Early Irish Society" was produced from excerpts from my online course " Ancient Ireland: Culture and Society " which has 40 lessons and covers a wide range of topics.

https://www.brehonlawacademy.ie/single-post/2017/09/19/Mn%C3%A1-na-h%C3%89ireann-%C2%A6-Women-of-Ireland-in-History-Mythology-and-Early-Irish-Society

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

kpr37
Professor Silent
1  seeder  kpr37    7 years ago

Na bi ag faire sios ar dhuine mura bhfuil tu ag cabhru leo (Gaelic)

Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up.(English)

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  kpr37 @1    7 years ago

I really like that......probably, one of the best.

My great grandmother's name was Annie Mahaley Murphy and her Dad's name was Thomas Murphy (very common name). They eventually settled in MS after arriving in America. I am very proud of that lovely lady. Her Dad gave his permission for her to marry at the age of 15.  She bore 13 children and worked the fields with her husband.  She was, also, physically lovely. 

Very proud of my Irish heritage. 

kpr37
Professor Silent
1.1.1  seeder  kpr37  replied to  magnoliaave @1.1    7 years ago

I really like that......probably, one of the best.

I've been a fan of the makers of the video for a long time. I think they do great work.

Very proud of my Irish heritage. 

Me, too. This is how the laws of Ireland, talked about in the video were replaced. I'm a big fan of Irish history.

At the time of this conquest the Irish were governed by what they call the Brehon law, so stiled from the Irish name of judges, who were denominated Brehons. [10] But king John in the twelfth year of his reign went into Ireland and carried over with him many able sages of the law; and there by his letters patent, in right of the dominion of conquest, is said to have ordained and established that Ireland should be governed by the laws of England: [11] which letters patent sir Edward Coke [12] apprehends to have been there confirmed in parliament. But to this ordinance many of the Irish were averse to conform, and still stuck to their Brehon law : so that both Henry the third [13] and Edward the first [14] were obliged to renew the injunction; and at length in a parliament holden at Kilkenny, 40 Edw. III. under Lionel the duke of Clarence, then lieutenant of Ireland, the Brehon law was formally abolished, it being unanimously declared to be indeed no law, but a lewd custom crept in of later times. And yet, even in the reign of queen Elizabeth, the wild natives still kept and preserved their Brehon law; which is described [15] to have been "a rule of right unwritten, but delivered by tradition from one to another, in which oftentimes there appeared great shew of equity in determining the right between party and party, but in many things repugnant quite both to God's laws and man's." The latter part of this character is alone ascribed to it, by the laws before-cited of Edward the first and his grandson.

Old documentation with funny spelling and wording on how British law replaced Brehon law in Ireland.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    7 years ago

Very interesting.

Thanks for seeding.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     7 years ago

Excellent article Kpr37..

Learned something new today.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4  pat wilson    7 years ago

Great seed. My lineage is primarily Irish with a bit of German and Alsatian (no jokes about dogs please) mixed in.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I am amazed how (dare I say it) progressive the ancient irish were concerning women. In a time when women were usually considered chattel, here women had stature. Also the footings of Irish law, was also very advanced. Something to be very proud of. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    7 years ago

And they just found the remains of an important viking warrior, DNA showed that it was a woman (smile).

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6  Spikegary    7 years ago

Who in their right mind tries to control their Irish Woman?  LOL.  Not me......

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
6.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Spikegary @6    7 years ago

Who in their right mind even thinks they can?