╌>

Trump: NFL Owners Should Fire Players Who Protest the National Anthem

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  151 comments

ktla.com

President Donald Trump criticized some in the National Football League Friday night  at a rally for Alabama Republican Senate candidate Luther Strange , saying team owners should fire players for taking a knee during the national anthem.

President Donald Trump speaks during rally for Alabama state Republican Senator Luther Strange on Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Alabama. (Credit: Brendan Smialowski / AFP / Getty Images)

President Donald Trump speaks during rally for Alabama state Republican Senator Luther Strange on Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Alabama. (Credit: Brendan Smialowski / AFP / Getty Images)

Trump added that if fans would “leave the stadium” when players kneel in protest during the national anthem, “I guarantee, things will stop.”

Trump said NFL owners should respond to the players by saying, “Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, he’s fired. He’s fired!”

“For a week, (that owner would) be the most popular person in this country. Because that’s a total disrespect of our heritage. That’s a total disrespect for everything we stand for,” Trump said.

Last year, Colin Kaepernick — formerly with the San Francisco 49ers, but currently without a team — drew national attention for refusing to stand during “The Star-Spangled Banner” prior to kickoff.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Media  in August 2016.

His protest spurred both support and backlash.

Following the events in Charlottesville, Virginia, where white supremacists gathered to protest the removal of a Confederate soldier statue, Seattle Seahawks defensive end  Michael Bennett told CNN  he would follow suit.

“I can’t stand for the national anthem,” Bennett said. “I can’t stand right now. I’m not going to be standing until I see the equality and freedom.”

Trump also took aim at NFL efforts to prevent concussions. “They’re ruining the game, right?” he said. “They’re ruining the game.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Trump said NFL owners should respond to the players by saying, “Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, he’s fired. He’s fired!”

So much for the president of the United States upholding freedom of speech.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @1    7 years ago

Seems to me he is still thinking that the Presidency of the US is just another episode of his egotistical Apprentice show, where he called all the shots, and everyone is fired on his say so. What a total arrogant idiot. He still has not figured out that his real job is as US President, and it is not making up your own rules whenever you like.

Next I expect him to declare the Constitution invalid and want to write his own Constitution to his own liking. 

Of all the Republican Presidents, he takes the award as the worst among them all. There have been some pretty good Republican Presidents over the years, but, Trump is a disgrace to them all.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    7 years ago

Is that a joke?

liberals lead witch hunts  against the brendan eichens and James dimores of the world and then act shocked when their own methods are used against them???? I swear 4 years olds have more foresight than the liberals who never ever seem to consider that their own Tactics, inevitably will be used against them. 

Its like Harry Reid acting surprised when the filibuster was taken away.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.5  Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell @1    7 years ago

You know that freedom of speech does not equate to freedom of consequences from your employers when you are grandstanding on their time, right?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    7 years ago

Trump is right.  If the players were doing it privately on their own time you'd have a point.  They have no right to do it on national tv in a crowded stadiuim in their employers uniform and on their time and dime

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
1.6.1  1ofmany  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.6    7 years ago

Trump is right. If the players were doing it privately on their own time you'd have a point. They have no right to do it on national tv in a crowded stadiuim in their employers uniform and on their time and dime.

The Steelers solved that problem by staying off the field. The whole world is waiting to see what Trump says next since this is way more important than provoking Kim into detonating a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific and Trump responding by killing everyone in North Korea. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     7 years ago

Trump doesn't understand our constitution. Also this coming from Mr. four deferments and a bone spur. 

A real frickin' patriot.../s

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    7 years ago

c208d98568f602d1af6520e3b1e2006f0a10b516.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    7 years ago

The morning after President Donald Trump called on National Football League owners to fire players protesting racism by kneeling during the national anthem, the NFL commissioner released a statement criticizing “divisive comments.”

“Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities,” Roger Goodell said in a Saturday statement that never mentioned Trump by name.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
2.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Kavika @2    7 years ago

He understands but you do not. They were acting out while they were "working".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Trump also complained that recent rules changes have made the game less violent.

Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, “Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out. He’s fired. He’s fired!” You know, some owner is going to do that. He’s going to say, “That guy that disrespects our flag, he’s fired.” And that owner, they don’t know it. They don’t know it. They’ll be the most popular person, for a week. They’ll be the most popular person in this country.

When the NFL ratings are down massively, massively. The NFL ratings are down massively. Now the number one reason happens to be they like watching what’s happening… with yours truly. They like what’s happening. Because you know today if you hit too hard—15 yards! Throw him out of the game! They had that last week. I watched for a couple of minutes. Two guys, just really beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards! The referee gets on television, his wife is sitting at home, she’s so proud of him. They’re ruining the game! They’re ruining the game. That’s what they want to do. They want to hit! It is hurting the game.

But you know what’s hurting the game more than that? When people like yourselves turn on television and you see those people taking the knee when they are playing our great national anthem. The only thing you could do better is if you see it, even if it’s one player, leave the stadium, I guarantee things will stop. Things will stop. Just pick up and leave. Pick up and leave. Not the same game anymore, anyway.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @3    7 years ago

A friend of mine's son plays high school football.  For several months now, they've been dealing with the aftereffects of a concussion - multiple trips to the ER when he was in severe pain and throwing up, trips to different neurologists.  Seems to me that the game is plenty violent.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.1    7 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope he has a quick recovery.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
4  ausmth    7 years ago

Let the fans vote with their dollars, which is what they are doing now.  After all the NFL is a business.  What business would intentionally hack off their fan base?  The NFL!

I haven't watched a pro football or basketball game in over a year.

College ball is much more entertaining than the pro's.  Same thing in basketball.  

I can hear the negotiations now.  "Sorry college phenom.  Can't afford those big contracts anymore". "Sorry NFL player. Can't afford to pay your contract so good luck with free agency."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  ausmth @4    7 years ago

Trump also said that when the fans see a player disrespect the national anthem - they should get up and walk out.

That was the best advice he could give us all. Let us all do that as a protest!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    7 years ago

They'll already have your ticket $.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.1    7 years ago

It is well worth it to have those camera's record the mass exodus - stick it right back to the jerks who took a knee during the anthem and give our kids some guidance

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    7 years ago

Ok.

IMO, he's providing guidance in engaging in nonviolent protest and free expression.  What he's done has achieved the goal of protest - he has your attention.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.4    7 years ago
IMO, he's providing guidance

And here's my opinion;

he's promoting disrespect for a nation that gave him rights and the opportunity to achieve fame & fortune. He is a bad influence on kids - The walkout by paying customers is the only thing admirable

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.5    7 years ago

Disrespect is allowed.

We are not a totalitarian regime.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.6    7 years ago

So is counter protest - by the majority

We are not a totalitarian regime.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.7    7 years ago

Of course it is.  Nobody is saying it isn't.  You have the right to express your opinion.  But he also has the right to express his.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.8    7 years ago
But he also has the right to express his.

Yup and I never said otherwise - Dont understand why his rights to protest was brought into this, since it was never questioned

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.9    7 years ago

Glad we're agreed.  And I'm glad he's showing our kids that they have rights.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    7 years ago
Trump also said that when the fans see a player disrespect the national anthem - they should get up and walk out.

I doubt we will see much of that. When people pay a hundred bucks or whatever it is for an NFL ticket, not many will get up and leave before the game starts.

How many Patriots fans protested Tom Brady wearing a MAGA hat? lol.

The issue here is not the protests, it is Trump acting unpresidential again.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.10    7 years ago

Ya, I'm sure you are.

We will teach them to be rational, responsible and grateful for what America has given us.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.11    7 years ago
I doubt we will see much of that. When people pay a hundred bucks or whatever it is for an NFL ticket, not many will get up and leave before the game starts.

Maybe we will find out how strongly they feel about the issue. You are right though, it will be costly for those on the other side of this to protest.

How many Patriots fans protested Tom Brady wearing a MAGA hat? lol.

Why should they?  That is his right.

Care to tell me how you feel about Brady, at long last?

The issue here is not the protests

I think it has everything to do with protests, politics and rights. You know, civil rights?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.12    7 years ago

How is he being other that rational and responsible?  Is he out protesting violently?  No.  He perceives a wrong, and is using his influence to right it - seems quite rational to me.  Respect is earned.  If his government has not earned his respect, why should he pretend that it has?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.15  1ofmany  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.5    7 years ago

he's promoting disrespect for a nation that gave him rights and the opportunity to achieve fame & fortune. He is a bad influence on kids - The walkout by paying customers is the only thing admirable.

I support his right to draw attention to injustice and see him as a good influence on kids who want to follow their conscience instead of the crowd. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.14    7 years ago
How is he being other that rational and responsible?

You've done it again....Read my comment - it was not directed at your precious "him"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.15    7 years ago
I support his right to draw attention to injustice and see him as a good influence on kids who want to follow their conscience instead of the crowd.

Maybe we should get to that - Explain what the injustice is

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.18  1ofmany  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.17    7 years ago

Maybe we should get to that - Explain what the injustice is.

Like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. The player described the injustice he's protesting and he gets to say what injustice means to him regardless as to what it means to anyone else. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.18    7 years ago
Like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. The player described the injustice he's protesting and he gets to say what injustice means to him regardless as to what it means to anyone else.

Colin Kaepernick was very explicit about what the "perceived injustice" was.  Do you recall?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.20  1ofmany  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.19    7 years ago

Colin Kaepernick was very explicit about what the "perceived injustice" was. Do you recall?

It's stated in the article.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.21  Vic Eldred  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.20    7 years ago

Any thoughts on the validity of his view?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.16    7 years ago

You are telling us how you will teach your children to behave, in contrast to Kaepernick's behavior, right?

And he is not my precious "him".  I don't watch football.  If the NFL ceased to exist this afternoon, it wouldn't affect my life in the slightest.  I simply support the right to protest, including the right to disrespect one's country when one's country disrespects, sometimes to the point of killing, members of one's race.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.22    7 years ago
I simply support the right to protest, including the right to disrespect one's country when one's country disrespects, sometimes to the point of killing, members of one's race.

And where is that going on?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.24  1ofmany  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.21    7 years ago

Any thoughts on the validity of his view?

His view is valid to him. If all views had to shared by everyone else in order to be valid, then we would all think the same thing and protest would be unnecessary. But we don't share the same views and the very purpose of free speech is the ability to say what other people don't want to hear.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.24    7 years ago

I'm asking you for your opinion.  I know exactly where he's coming from

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.26  1ofmany  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.25    7 years ago

I'm asking you for your opinion. I know exactly where he's coming from.

Does injustice, as he describe it, exist? Yes. Will he eliminate it by kneeling instead of standing? No. Should he have a chance to affect injustice by taking a stand and refusing to stand? Yes. Would I walk out of a game because he kneels? No. Would I care if he stands? No. Would I kneel myself? No. Do I care if half the audience walks out if he kneels? No. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.26    7 years ago
Does injustice, as he describe it, exist? Yes

Where? Please be specific

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.28  1ofmany  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.27    7 years ago

Does injustice, as he describe it, exist? Yes

Where? Please be specific.

Not to be rude but I'm not going to debate the existence of racial injustice. It obviously exists and is demonstrated constantly in employment, housing, and law enforcement to name a few. If you doesn't see it, then that's your opinion but he's entitled to a different opinion even if you don't agree with it. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.29  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.23    7 years ago

Do you pretend to believe that racism is not a problem in this nation?  That Eric Garner deserved to die by strangulation for selling cigarettes?  That Sandra Bland deserved to be arrested for not putting out her cigarette?  That Trayvon Martin was a threat to life with his tea and Skittles?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.30  Vic Eldred  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.28    7 years ago

It's hard to find examples of it in this day & age, I guess. 

Let me end this little discussion by saying those who cannot give specific examples when making outrageous statements like 4th string QB Kaepernick did, ( " I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that  oppresses black people  and people of color" ) then I cant really consider them valid.

Most people wouldn't know Kaepernick's name were it not for his actions during the national anthem. Sorry, but Kaepernick was 60 years too late.

1ofmany, I do respect your opinion, but if you can't give an example of "oppression of black people" by the US government in 2017, I have to say the issue involving taking the knee during the anthem was nothing more than resentment.

Thank you for the talk

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.31  1ofmany  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.30    7 years ago

1ofmany, I do respect your opinion, but if you can't give an example of "oppression of black people" by the US government in 2017, I have to say the issue involving taking the knee during the anthem was nothing more than resentment.

Racism is alive and well. Perhaps you don't see it because it's not as blatant as it was 60 years ago and less pervasive, especially among the younger generation. By oppression, I assume that Kaepernick means racism. It's not that I can't find many examples of racism but rather that I don't feel like debating something that, to me, isn't a debatable point. But I do respect your opinion and I have to respect Kaepernick's as well (even if I disagreed with it) because I haven't taken one step in his shoes . . . actually his feet are probably so big that I'd have to take two steps to make the shoe take one (lol). 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.32  Kavika   replied to  1ofmany @4.1.31    7 years ago

It's not difficult to find it, you don't even have to look very hard. In fact I just drove by them last week.

This sign are in Harrison AR. about 50 miles from my house. Ya think that there just me be a message to non whites in them.

Image result for photo of white supremacists in harrison arkansas

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.33  sixpick  replied to  Kavika @4.1.32    7 years ago

Kavika, do you think these signs are synonymous with the feelings of a significant number of whites in this country?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.34  Kavika   replied to  sixpick @4.1.33    7 years ago

What do you think Six?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.35  magnoliaave  replied to  sixpick @4.1.33    7 years ago

Anti racist is anti white.  And, it gripes the shit out of me.

I am not anti any color, but I am sick and fed up with this program that if you are not a minority, then, you are the enemy.

I am white.....hear me.....I am white.  Proud of it.  I have some American Indian mixed in there somewhere but they don't acknowledge me so what the heck. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.36  1ofmany  replied to  Kavika @4.1.32    7 years ago

Ya think that there just me be a message to non whites in them.

It's amazing that the white people who drive by signs like this every day and think nothing about it, would be the same people who would walk out of a game because Kapernick got down on one knee as a general protest against racism. Signs like this are intended to send a message and Kapernick is trying to send a message back by respectfully getting on one knee. I can't fault him for that.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
4.1.37  ausmth  replied to  Kavika @4.1.32    7 years ago

I am not that far from there either.  KY3 said the mayor was working to get them removed.  We get a few klan types over here in Laclede but not enough to notice.  I asked one of the black kids at school one day if she had any problems with the sheet heads.  She smiled at the term and said no.  I had one kid in a shop class that was bragging about his dad being the head of the local klan.  He was pretty much a loner in the group.

In my time in the classroom I see hope for the future.  Even here in mid MO the kids hang out in mixed groups.  They have been friends since grade school.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.38  Kavika   replied to  ausmth @4.1.37    7 years ago

In the seven years that I've been traveling up and down U.S. 65 they have been there in one form or another. Seems the mayor might want to move a bit faster. 

The mayor may also want to rid the city of the Supreme Kluxer who lives there and  has a myriad of these types of signs running up to his compound. 

The mayor also may want to take note of the neo nazi's moving into the area. 

The younger generation is changing but the old hard liners are passing a lot of this hate on to some of the younger generation. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.39  sixpick  replied to  Kavika @4.1.34    7 years ago
What do you think Six?
I don't think it is indicative of the feelings of any significant number of Americans.
The signs you have put up are from Harrison, Arkansas.  I don't see any such signs around here, but in Charlotte the percentage of whites to blacks is 51.8% white and 34.96% African American.  The people who should have the highest percentage, American Indians, only have .41%.
Compared to Harrison which has 94.86% white and only .33% African American could lead us to believe Harrison is the most racist town in this country and it may well be, but you will be happy and so am I, these signs, at least two of them have been removed as the contract has ended.
Here's are two articles:

'Most racist town in America'

Controversial 'white pride' billboards taken down in Harrison

For those who only read what is in the comment instead of reading the links as well, in the first Article the author ends his article saying "Stipulated: There are a lot of good people in Harrison's population, probably most of them. But a few bad apples .......".

And in the second article, maybe just reading the link right here will do just fine:

Controversial 'white pride' billboards taken down in Harrison

For anyone driving highway 65 North, they've grown used to seeing billboards promoting white pride.

However, as of last week, two of those signs one denouncing diversity as white genocide came down.

"We're not that way here in Harrison."

Harrison Mayor Dan Sherrell says he's thrilled to see the sign that's become a black eye for his community finally be removed.

He says for years the city's convention and visitor's bureau has fought endlessly to promote an image of diversity and inclusion contrary to the beliefs of a select few who live outside the city limits.

"I know it's going to be great for our city because we won't have those people driving into Harrison seeing a sign like that and 'oh, what kind of community is this?' That just sticks in their mind and it'll remove some of that," said Sherrell.

Attorneys with Sprott, Golden and Bardwell who represent the billboard's property owner say the billboard's message has haunted the owner for years...especially given the fact the owner had adopted a child with a minority background.

"So it weighed heavily on her, but it was a misunderstanding of what the law was, and because she became aware of what the law actually is she felt like it was time," said attorney Kelsey Bardwell.

Attorneys found that a state highway permit allowing the billboard had expired, creating a breach contract which allowed the property owner to request the signs come down.

The billboard's owner now making sure she puts language in future billboard contracts to allow vetoing power over any messages deemed unsavory.

"She wants to replace that negative message with something positive."

One white pride sign, a billboard promoting a white pride radio station, is still up in Harrison. Just a year ago there were four billboards in the area. Bardwell said she's certain the white supremacist group that's been behind the previous billboards will likely seek other properties to post new billboards on, but she wants to let landowners know that they have rights to restrict speech if they choose to do so.

Maybe with our experiences in life not being the same, we see things differently, but I don't like the signs either, but realize the first amendment was not written for things I like.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.40  sixpick  replied to  magnoliaave @4.1.35    7 years ago
Anti racist is anti white.  And, it gripes the shit out of me.
I understand Magnoliaave.  It does get old, but those who promote the condemnation against all of us have plenty of help from the other side to use it against us.
Myself, I'm not proud to be white no more than I would be proud to be anything else.  I didn't have anything to do with it.  I could have been born into a life of a beggar on the street of Bangladesh.  I guess you could just say I'm happy it didn't turn out like that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.41  Kavika   replied to  sixpick @4.1.39    7 years ago

Of course our life experiences are different....Just to let you know that Harrison AR. isn't the only place in the country that has hate signs appear...These are in Alexandria VA.

http://bluevirginia.us/2017/05/racist-fascist-fliers-pop-alexandria-del-mark-levine-calls-shocking-wake-call-see-filth

Here is another for you Six...You know that you can buy these on the internet, in neon no less.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcee1P1HTx24DOK8Pib

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.42  sixpick  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.36    7 years ago
It's amazing that the white people who drive by signs like this every day and think nothing about it
They must be everywhere but here 1ofmany.  Since you think white people drive by signs like these every day and think nothing about it, maybe you could provide us with some examples?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.43  1ofmany  replied to  sixpick @4.1.42    7 years ago

They must be everywhere but here 1ofmany. Since you think white people drive by signs like these every day and think nothing about it, maybe you could provide us with some examples?

Kavika gave the example. Must they be on every corner in order to know that racism is alive and well? 

ausmth
Freshman Silent
4.1.44  ausmth  replied to  Kavika @4.1.38    7 years ago
The younger generation is changing but the old hard liners are passing a lot of this hate on to some of the younger generation.

There are fewer of those old sheetheads every day.  Enjoy that thought!  I do!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.45  sandy-2021492  replied to  ausmth @4.1.44    7 years ago

I hope you're right.  But I know quite a few people who are younger than me who hold the same views.  Maybe not quite so vitriolic, but they definitely see whites as superior to others.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.46  sixpick  replied to  Kavika @4.1.41    7 years ago

So you've found a few posters stuck on some telephone poles.  We had that south of Charlotte some time ago.  The public was outraged, but we were smart enough to realize the actions of a few don't represent the masses.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.47  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sixpick @4.1.46    7 years ago

Six,

I would hope not... but it still means that there is an undercurrent around 50 years after the civil rights movement.

Thing is, you can't make people not hate.. but we can recognize that there is hate. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.48  Kavika   replied to  sixpick @4.1.46    7 years ago

Six you can make all the excuses you want. There is still hate of minorities in this country. It's that frickin' simple.

Nothing to say about the neo sign...Oh, btw there was a sign on a bar in California and one in Nevada that said exactly that except there were not in neon...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.49  Kavika   replied to  sixpick @4.1.40    7 years ago
I understand Magnoliaave.  It does get old, but those who promote the condemnation against all of us have plenty of help from the other side to use it against us.

Who is promoting condemnation against ''all of you'' Six....

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.50  sixpick  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.43    7 years ago

Believe what you want to believe 1ofmany.  Let the MSM and the race baiters manipulate your heart and soul and you'll spend you life as many others have, falling prey to these hate mongers.

Step Aside, Reverend Al: The Next Generation of Race-Baiters Has Arrived

He quit his job to be a race baiter.  Wonder where he gets the money to survive?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.51  sixpick  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.47    7 years ago

Perrie, I would hate for you to misinterpret what I said if you read my comments starting with my first one above. You know people are guilty of reading a comment and commenting on it instead of reading what led up to the comment.  

I'm not denying there isn't some hate.  I just said the hate is not indicative of the feelings of most Americans, even though one would think so if they believed MSM and the race baiters.  You'd think the country was full of White Supremacist and KKK members when it is not.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.52  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.45    7 years ago

I hope that your right ausmth, but the fact is that most of the neo nazi's and other white supremisists are young, many teenagers. 

That does not bode well.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.53  sixpick  replied to  Kavika @4.1.49    7 years ago

Who is promoting condemnation against ''all of you'' Six....

These white supremacist who make it look bad for the rest of us.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.54  Kavika   replied to  sixpick @4.1.53    7 years ago

As I read it Six, that isn't what you said...Since we are on NT and the comments made are by NT members it would seem that it directed at NT members, true or not?

ausmth
Freshman Silent
4.1.55  ausmth  replied to  Kavika @4.1.52    7 years ago

And getting press that makes them look bigger than they are.  They are slowly diminishing.

Spend  time in the kid hangouts and observe them.  Branson may not be the best kid hangout since the average age on the strip is what, 75?  Head up to Springfield to the mall or the off campus places.

People watching is so entertaining!

ausmth
Freshman Silent
4.1.56  ausmth  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.45    7 years ago
But I know quite a few people who are younger than me who hold the same views.

You probably know a lot more who don't hold those views.  I had a chance to watch the evolution of attitude in my 60+ years in a classroom as a student and teacher.  In '57 the effects of Brown were being felt.  In '62 I not only had classes with black students but Mrs Thomas, my history teacher was as well.  I liked her so much that when one mouthy white kid was sassing her I called him out to meet me after school.  Mouthy sucker got what he deserved.  

High school was integrated and the kids all went to the same school even before Brown.  Small towns could barely afford one school let alone a separate one.  In the community I grew up in white and black suffered the same crop failures and troubles.  Neighbor helped neighbor.

The biggest factor in change was the exodus of the black middle class to the burbs in the early 70's.  For 30 years after that kids were growing up together from kindergarten on.  It's hard to hate someone you grew up with.

Still a long way to go though.  There is hope because I see it in the hallways laughing and talking about the things kids talk about.

What can I say Sandy?  I am a half full kind of guy:)

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.57  1ofmany  replied to  sixpick @4.1.50    7 years ago

Believe what you want to believe 1ofmany. Let the MSM and the race baiters manipulate your heart and soul and you'll spend you life as many others have, falling prey to these hate mongers.

All I'm saying is that racism is alive and well; not that it's rampant. Even when racism was at its height, there were many brave white people who stood shoulder to shoulder with blacks in the name of justice. There are far more good people than bad but it's not hate mongering to recognize that the bad ones are out there. 

The team owners should be free to play the national anthem if they like but is it really killing anybody to let Kaepernick respectfully drop to one knee as a visible reminder that justice doesn't mean "just us" and that bad apples can spoil the barrel? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.58  Kavika   replied to  ausmth @4.1.55    7 years ago

Actually I have spent more time in Columbia at the University of Missouri. So I'm fairly exposed to young people.

I'm a ''show me'' type of person, when the hate no longer exists then I'll be happy, until that point I'll remain cautious.  

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.59  1ofmany  replied to  Kavika @4.1.58    7 years ago

I'm a ''show me'' type of person, when the hate no longer exists then I'll be happy, until that point I'll remain cautious.

Me too. When I see all the white supremacists and skinheads on walkers, then I'll know things are changing. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.60  sixpick  replied to  Kavika @4.1.54    7 years ago

No it is not true.  It's like the man who carries his son to the firing rang and ends up shooting him.  It makes it bad for the rest of us who hate to see someone do something stupid that can be used against our 2nd amendment by the other side.

It's like when anyone does something that comes back on us and makes us look bad.  In the case of the child who was accidentally shot by his father, that's terrible, much more terrible than the criticism of our 2nd amendment rights, but it's the fools who make all of us look bad which opens the door for MSM and others to attack us for things we had no control over.  I just hate it when it happens, not discarding the tragedy that may have opened the door to criticism by people like yourself who seems to think racism is everywhere, because there are some idiots who promote it.

It seems people like yourself are unable to see all the good people who condemn it, but center your attention on all the bad people who promote it instead.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
4.1.61  ausmth  replied to  Kavika @4.1.58    7 years ago
I'm a ''show me'' type of person, when the hate no longer exists then I'll be happy, until that point I'll remain cautious.

I will be happy as well.  They are not all gone yet so cautious is a good thing.  Be encouraged that the trend is going in the right direction.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.62  Kavika   replied to  sixpick @4.1.60    7 years ago

I just hate it when it happens, not discarding the tragedy that may have opened the door to criticism by people like yourself who seems to think racism is everywhere, because there are some idiots who promote it.

It's people like ''myself'' that are affected by it Six, that seems to be something that you're unable to grasp. I don't, and have never said that racism is everywhere. I said it's alive and well and pointed out some examples. If that is something that you're unable to grasp that's on you. 

It seems people like yourself are unable to see all the good people who condemn it, but center your attention on all the bad people who promote it instead.

Again people like ''myself'' see things much more clearly than people like you. Go back to watching Fox News so you can reinforce your opinion. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.64  sandy-2021492  replied to  ausmth @4.1.56    7 years ago

Yes, there are a lot more who don't hold those views, fortunately.  But far too many still do hold them, and unfortunately, they tend to be the people around me - family, neighbors, etc., which may skew my perceptions.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
6  1ofmany    7 years ago

The players signed contracts to play ball, not wave the flag. Standing for the anthem should be voluntary and the players should be no more required to stand than the audience . . . and the audience can't be required to stand because they're neither slaves of the state nor of those who sold them tickets. 

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
7  tomwcraig    7 years ago

Let's see:

1) President uses his freedom of speech to tell the NFL to fire players disrespecting the flag and national anthem of the country that allows them to get millions of dollars to play a game; but he is the bad guy.

2) Player making millions of dollars playing a game says he cannot stand for the national anthem until he sees equality and freedom, but he is the good guy.

3) Another guy started to refuse to stand for the national anthem because there is oppression of people of color, and he is also the good guy.

Both of the people that are quoted in this as being good guys using their freedom of speech probably spent more money buying cars, large houses, and partying while playing a game for millions of dollars and are complaining about equality, freedom, and oppression?  These guys are the elite, have the freedom to make millions of dollars playing a game, and have not been oppressed.  Yet, we give them credence for their opinions and let slide their greed and oppression of others for opposing their opinions and actions.  If they want oppression, force them out of the NFL and make them become farmers without any of the money they made in the NFL.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.1  magnoliaave  replied to  tomwcraig @7    7 years ago

Amen!

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
7.2  1ofmany  replied to  tomwcraig @7    7 years ago

If they want oppression, force them out of the NFL and make them become farmers without any of the money they made in the NFL.

Or just cock a pistol at their head and force them to stand so they truly understand what it means to be free. 

ausmth
Freshman Silent
8  ausmth    7 years ago

Money talks.  Empty seats speak the loudest to an NFL owner.  Reduced salaries speak to pampered athletes.

I will enjoy another year without the NFL.

A simple solution for the NFL.  Don't take the field until after the anthem. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
10  Nowhere Man    7 years ago

The protest is a racist one.

Want proof?

kaepsocks2.jpg

When he started this protest, is the same time he started wearing these.

You want to know why he is out of the NFL?

Cause the cops that provide security for the games have almost to a man said they will no longer do such if he is part of the NFL.

Sitting down during the anthem is one thing, tying it to Cop Hate, make it an entirely different thing.

Caepernick made it about hate, and despite all the rest trying to change that, it's origins still remain.

They should have to prove it isn't about hate by rejecting Caepernick's ideal and if not, then suffer the consequences.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

A # POTUS whose name alone creates division and anger. Whose words inspire dissension and hatred can't possibly "Make America Great Again"

ausmth
Freshman Silent
11.1  ausmth  replied to  JohnRussell @11    7 years ago

Another spoiled athlete that I won't watch.  A spoiled whiney  athlete that won't get my money.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  ausmth @11.1    7 years ago

No one cares whether you give the NBA your money or not. The vast majority of NBA teams draw good attendance every year.

The LA Lakers have sucked for a number of years now and had attendance last year that was 99.4% of the building's capacity.

12 Lakers 41 776,917 18,949 99.4

ausmth
Freshman Silent
11.1.2  ausmth  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.1    7 years ago
No one cares whether you give the NBA your money or not.

The NFL and NBA will care when the numbers continue to decline.  Alienate half of the fans and watch the "deplorable" fans leave.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

5 hours ago

If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend!

The average NFL ticket price is 172 dollars each, according to one of the Sunday morning shows. If trump thinks people are going to get up and walk out or not show up when they have bought tickets, he is hallucinating more than usual.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @12    7 years ago

Protest via showing disrespect for the American Flag is a debate the President wins every day and twice on Sunday. I thought liberals learned their lesson when burning American flags in the late 60's.

Apparently not

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @12.1    7 years ago

I am quite sure the majority of people don't really care about this , as an issue.

They will care if Trump insists on having a war with America's professional athletes. He will not win that. Many of these players are heroes in their local communities.

He will win with his 25% hardcase supporters. The rest of the people who disapprove of Kaepernick will think Trump is making a mountain out of a molehill.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
12.2  1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell @12    7 years ago

The average NFL ticket price is 172 dollars each, according to one of the Sunday morning shows. If trump thinks people are going to get up and walk out or not show up when they have bought tickets, he is hallucinating more than usual.

I think he means don't buy the tickets in the first place until the owners bring the players to heel like dogs by saying as he would . . . "I bought you, you're my wage slaves, and you'll see the world exactly as I do or you're fired."

ausmth
Freshman Silent
12.2.1  ausmth  replied to  1ofmany @12.2    7 years ago

The Rams couldn't sell tickets at six bucks each for last weeks game.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
13  magnoliaave    7 years ago

Who is asking anyone to heel like dogs?  THAT is making a mountain out of a molehill! 

I am disgusted by anyone who disrespects our Anthem, our Pledge and  our Flag! 

Mr. Russell seeded an article on Mexican citizens who sang their anthem when a person or persons were pulled free from the earthquake rubble and, yet, some of our citizens feel sanctimonious and brave disrespecting our Country. 

Some of you love to bring up how Pres. Trump never served in the Armed Forces.  Tell me, please, all of you who quote statistics......how many of these millionaire football players served in the military?  I betcha they went right out of their paid for by athletic scholarships in college to pro football. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
13.1  1ofmany  replied to  magnoliaave @13    7 years ago

Who is asking anyone to heel like dogs? THAT is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Trump is telling them to heel like dogs because, like dogs, they should sit and stand as told. And if it's making a mountain out of a molehill, then he's the one doing it. The dope really needs to be spending his time trying to avoid war with NK rather than talking about whether players stand or kneel at a damn football game. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
13.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  1ofmany @13.1    7 years ago

Where did he say heel like dogs? 

If you don't like what he said.....tough!

I don't like what a lot of what a particular president had to say, well, tough on me! 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
15  pat wilson    7 years ago

I seriously doubt the NFL is going downhill because a player took a knee.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16  seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

The entire Pittsburgh Steelers team, except for one guy who is a West Point graduate, stayed inside the locker room and did appear on the field for the national anthem in Chicago today.

This is a direct result of Trump's idiocy.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
16.1  1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell @16    7 years ago

The entire Pittsburgh Steelers team, except for one guy who is a West Point graduate, stayed inside the locker room and did appear on the field for the national anthem in Chicago today.

I guess Trump's next step is to insult them all and threaten to destroy them. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
16.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @16    7 years ago
Pittsburgh Steelers team, except for one guy who is a West Point graduate

That West Point Graduate was also a Captain in the 75th Ranger Regiment.  I have more respect for him than any of the other hissy fit throwing clowns.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
16.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @16.2    7 years ago

Me too.  John closed his other seed so the discussion moves here it seems.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
16.2.2  Cerenkov  replied to  XXJefferson51 @16.2.1    7 years ago

He should be a role model to the other uneducated athletes. 

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
17  The Old Breed Marine    7 years ago

Fire?

You can't just fire NFL players, that just dumb.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
18  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

This whole thing did do something.  It showed the nation how many whining little clowns are really in (un)professional sports.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
18.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @18    7 years ago

Well, they are mostly uneducated buffoons... Not surprising...