╌>

Obnoxious Tactics of the Black Knights

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

By:  tig  •  7 years ago  •  16 comments

Obnoxious Tactics of the Black Knights

Black_Knight_Holy_Grail.png

Most adults have come across those special people who will stubbornly NOT concede a point under any circumstances. The worst offenders are those who resort to ridiculous commentary rather than admit they might be mistaken. I label these individuals ‘Black Knights’ - in reference to the classic Monty Python   Holy Grail sketch   in which King Arthur demolishes the self-declared invincible Black Knight.

(please view   the video   – it is satirically brilliant)

There are a large number of tactics available to the Black Knight. I am listing some of the most common (and obnoxious) tactics I have had the displeasure to deal with. Each description assumes a debate between two fictional characters:   Arthur   (an honest opponent) and   Black   (one who shall remain invincible at all costs).

Obnoxious Tactics

#1 GENERALIZATION

Arguing that characteristics of an empirical sampling apply to an entire group. For example: ‘ a few racist signs at a rally means ALL rally participants are racists ’.

Black : “ Both of my English opponents fled from my challenge. Englishmen are   all  cowards .”

#2 OBFUSCATION

Change the topic (misdirection, Red Herring) or change the meaning of phrases or words (equivocation), etc. to create a cloud of smoke to hide behind.

Arthur : “ Victory is mine, you have no arms .”
Black : “ I have arms .”
Arthur : “ I cut them off; they are on the ground .”
Black : “ Again you dare suggest my arms are not my property .“

#3 DECLARATION

Acting as if a mere statement establishes truth. This attempts to bypass the argument and proceed directly to a declared (proven) truth. Another form of declaration is claiming that a point was indeed proven or a question answered to avoid having to make an argument or answer a question. Python demonstrates declaration in the   ‘Argument’ sketch .

Arthur : “ I cut off your arm
Black : “ No you haven’t

#4 ACCUSATION

Inventing or exaggerating to seek sympathy such as claiming the opponent is making personal attacks (e.g. a statement such as: " you are being presumptuous " is deemed a personal attack)

Black : ( without arms and legs ) “ Oh sure, running away from a fight

#5 FAUX OBTUSENESS

Pretending to miss a damaging and obvious point or reinterpreting it with a simplistic alternate meaning - usually based upon zeroing in on a word and taking a tangent. This is clearly illustrated in the Python   Parrot sketch .

Arthur : “ Look your arm is cut off .”
Black : “ It is just a flesh wound; I’ve had worse .”

#6 AMBIGUITY

Terse responses designed to provide a reply while denying the opponent anything to respond to

Arthur : “ What must be done for you to accept defeat ?”
Black : “ Defeat is subjective

#7 PROJECTION

Accuse your opponent of the very things you are doing as if somehow that hides your disingenuous tactics. (The purpose seems to be an attempt to put the opponent on a false defensive.)

Black : “ You are delusional – you cannot accept defeat.”

These stand out for me. However, there exist   plenty   of formally and informally defined tactics for disingenuous debate. Generally the Black Knight resorts to these tactics as part of grandstanding – appealing to an audience that may be paying only casual attention – to ‘ save face ’.

What obnoxious tactics have your ‘Black Knights’ used?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  author  TᵢG    7 years ago

Black Knights generally behave nicely right up to the point where they sense they are losing the debate.   Then out come the obnoxious tactics.   

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  TᵢG @1    7 years ago

Yes, it's when the debate victor usually tries to be gracious and give the opponent an out for a graceful retreat.

Black Nights refuse to accept the graceful retreat, choosing instead rhetorical suicide.

For me most of the time it is enough to make my point trusting people to see the point and leaving the antagonist to reveal himself trying to escape the point.

It is just more fun to allow others to expose themselves rather than be the exposer. and heck you just might change a few opinions in the process.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    7 years ago

What obnoxious tactics have your ‘Black Knights’ used?

All of the above .

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     7 years ago

We see all of the above used on a daily basis. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1  author  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @3    7 years ago
We see all of the above used on a daily basis.

... and more no doubt.

It would be interesting (fun) if members would share some of their 'favorite' slimy tactics in this discussion.   I know I have left out all sorts of nasty little tricks.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @3.1    7 years ago

"Gish gallop" - variation on obfuscation.

Projection - I'm accused on another discussion of being a "Christianphobe" because I mentioned that lying is not especially Christian behavior.  I was also told that nonchristians lie, but don't really feel bad about it, because they're nonbelievers.  So I'm accused of religious bigotry in the very same post where my accuser is making religiously bigoted statements.

Faux obtuseness.

Double standards - holding your opponent's arguments to a higher standard than your own.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @3.1    7 years ago

Oh, yeah, declaration.  I remember one debate where many people actually looked up the links provided, and one said exactly the opposite of what the debater claimed it said.  When this was pointed out, he either ignored us, or just lied and contradicted us.  I didn't see him around much after that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @3.1    7 years ago

The ''name callers'' are my favorites. One called me an ignorant Indian and another called me a crazy Redskin. Seems that their ''true colors'' came out when they couldn't deal with someone of a different color. 

I thought that it was just great, their inability to put together two words in a sentence was there for all to see.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.4  author  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    7 years ago

I suspect most people see the name calling and realize that the author is someone who is out of ideas.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.6  Spikegary  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    7 years ago

Funny, seems to be you're a pretty well read Indian.  I still am making the mental jumps about riding my Indian....and now, if I go to Toronto, I have to call the Damned Thing A 'First Nations Headman Vintage two-Tone'.  Sigh, PC correctness gone rampant.

Good article, BTW, I love that movie, Tig

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.7  Spikegary  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.5    7 years ago

Except for the Tuesdays, the day before your weekly beard washing.

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
3.1.8  Bluestride  replied to  TᵢG @3.1    7 years ago
I see a lot of FAUX OBTUSENESS. However my favorite is cherry picking in links. I love it when people post links to opinion articles and use them as proof. On NV this was rampant. Not so much here but, I have seen it here. Also, one of my favorite faux pas is when someone posts a link and fails to read the actual link. Especially when the title is misleading and the link actually destroys their premise.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.9  author  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    7 years ago
"Gish gallop"

Also known as word salad or baffle-with-bullshit.  :)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.2  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @3    7 years ago

Not sure if it's covered in the article, but my favorite is when someone deliberately makes a clearly ridiculous statement.  Not only does it not help their argument it actually makes them easier to dismiss.