╌>

"Black Lives Matter Students Shut Down the ACLU's Campus Free Speech Event Because 'Liberalism Is White Supremacy.'"

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kpr37  •  7 years ago  •  39 comments

"Black Lives Matter Students Shut Down the ACLU's Campus Free Speech Event Because 'Liberalism Is White Supremacy.'"

Writes Robby Soave at Reason.com:

At first, [American Civil Liberties Union's Claire Gastañaga, a W & M alum] attempted to spin the demonstration as a welcome example of the kind of thing she had come to campus to discuss, commenting "Good, I like this," as they lined up and raised their signs. "I'm going to talk to you about knowing your rights, and protests and demonstrations, which this illustrates very well. Then I'm going to respond to questions from the moderators, and then questions from the audience."

It was the last remark she was able to make before protesters drowned her out with cries of, "ACLU, you protect Hitler, too." They also chanted, "the oppressed are not impressed," "shame, shame, shame, shame," (an ode to the Faith Militant's treatment of Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones , though why anyone would want to be associated with the religious fanatics in that particular conflict is beyond me), "blood on your hands," "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, uh, "liberalism is white supremacy."...

These students have clearly made up their minds about free speech: they don't want to share it with anyone else—especially Nazis, but also civil liberties lawyers who happen to be experts on the thing they are willfully misunderstanding: the First Amendment. Their ideological position is obviously incoherent—Liberalism is white supremacy? What?—and would not stand up to scrutiny, which is probably why they have decided to make open debate an impossibility on campus. They really shouldn't get away with this.

I wouldn't assume the "ideological position is obviously incoherent," but chanting is not an attempt to provide a coherent explanation. Why doesn't William and Mary stage a debate on the proposition "Liberalism is white supremacy" and have a speaker who will try to present the idea coherently? Or are debates and demands for ideological coherence the stuff of white supremacy?

The liberals in my town did a tremendous amount of chanting during the anti-Scott-Walker protests of 2011. A favorite chant was "shame, shame, shame, shame," which Soave calls "an ode to the Faith Militant's treatment of Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones ." That's not the association the "shame" chant has for me, and by the way, I am so sick of references to "Game of Thrones."

Anyway, chants have their place and can be very effective persuasion. I'm thinking of "Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?" Did that have — did that need — ideological coherence?

I'd love to hear debate on these topics, but I know they'd probably just get shouted down. When you stage in-person events, you create opportunities, and some people will grab what they can. To say "They really shouldn't get away with this" is not to prescribe a remedy to this persistent phenomenon, which is part of living in a free society, as Claire Gastañaga seemed to be trying to say before she gave up on controlling the stage that was set up for her.

One might say the freedom of speech is obviously incoherent. But freedom is good, incoherent or not.

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2017/10/black-lives-matter-students-shut-down.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

kpr37
Professor Silent
1  seeder  kpr37    7 years ago

'Liberalism Is White Supremacy.'"

Of course, it is.

Pegasus4
Freshman Silent
1.1  Pegasus4  replied to  kpr37 @1    7 years ago

I wonder if these clowns know the meaning of Liberalism.  

I would also be curious to know how much money colleges and universities have lost from alums due to the rancorous behaviour of these clowns.  

kpr37
Professor Silent
1.1.1  seeder  kpr37  replied to  Pegasus4 @1.1    7 years ago

I don't believe they know the definition of liberalism or clowns. (LOL)

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  kpr37 @1    7 years ago

'Liberalism Is White Supremacy.'"

And, of course:  "Arbeit Macht Frei"

Goebbels and Orwell would be so proud of you, kpr--for different reasons, of course.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.3.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.3    7 years ago

Looks like someone didn't read the seed again...

Junior Participates
1.3.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Cerenkov @1.3.1    7 years ago

You really don't want to take me on again after you flunked basic physics, do you? 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.3.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.3.2    7 years ago

Lol. You don't have a clue about physics. I demonstrated your ignorance quite clearly. Finish high school and then try again.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    7 years ago

Hilarious. 

Pegasus4
Freshman Silent
2.1  Pegasus4  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    7 years ago

I always thought that BLM was off the rails and now, they've just confirmed it!  This IS hilarious!  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Pegasus4 @2.1    7 years ago

BLM and Antifa are violent and criminally insane.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    7 years ago

Hilarious. 

kpr37
Professor Silent
3.1  seeder  kpr37  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    7 years ago

Remember, milk is also white supremacy. Lucky for me, I'm lactose intolerant.

As when Christoph Waltz’s character in Inglorious Bastards drinks a glass of milk and a character in a pivotal scene of Get Out sips the cow secretion, dairy milk has long been embraced as a symbol of white supremacy .

Plus, I'm Irish

When the Irish Weren’t White

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6  Cerenkov    7 years ago

Why do leftwingers hate freedom?

Junior Participates
6.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Cerenkov @6    7 years ago

This little string of comments is one of the purist expressions of collective rightwing projection I've ever seen.  It's the very definition of groupthink.  It's almost as if they're copying it out of the rightwing catechism of "Lies We Tell Ourselves." 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6.2.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.2    7 years ago

"Lies We Tell Ourselves."

The leftie mantra.

Pegasus4
Freshman Silent
6.3  Pegasus4  replied to  Cerenkov @6    7 years ago
Why do leftwingers hate freedom?

It's a victim identity along with group-think, a club of sorts whereby acceptance is all important.  In our current culture of "I'm special and can identify as anything I please", we are losing the concept of taking personal responsibility for our own actions. Once you deem yourself persecuted, you are free to behave as you wish, and anyone who then has a problem with you is yet further proof to you that you are indeed a victim. It becomes self-fulfilling and limiting to emotional and intellectual growth.  

Ultimately, those individuals who do take responsibility will be the care-takers of the "victims" as they will not be able to care for themselves.  We're doing that right now!  If one asked them what freedom was/is, they wouldn't be able to explain it.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7  Ed-NavDoc    7 years ago

I'm willing to bet that many of those those protesting are not even college students and many probably never made it through high school. I have never liked the ACLU  (American Civil Leftist Union) anyway and find this highly ironic in that the ACLU often represents cases that groups like BLM and others are involved in. Now BLM is badmouthing the group that primarily defends them? Hilarious!

Junior Participates
10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Hollywood and the "liberals" have dumped Weinstein faster than Trump can lie.  I haven't seen one of our furry little rightwing critters say anything even slightly mean about their laterst total scumbag, Tim Murphy.  Nor did we hear any harsh words for Scott DesJarlais of TN a year or so ago who did the same thing.  As the prophet said:  "Remove the log from your own eye before you criticize the speck in your brother's." 

Pegasus4
Freshman Silent
10.1  Pegasus4  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10    7 years ago

Give it up.  You lost this one.

kpr37
Professor Silent
11  seeder  kpr37    7 years ago

kpr37
Professor Silent
12  seeder  kpr37    7 years ago

Watch Leftist Students Say Science Is Racist and Should Be Abolished

Students at the University of Cape Town in South Africa brought some interesting concerns before the science faculty this week: namely, they think science as it is currently understood must be abolished.

"The whole thing should scratched off, especially in Africa," said one of the students.

The students are apparently known as "fallists." Their hashtag is #ScienceMustFall. You can watch them make their case during a meeting

" style="color:#000080;"> here .

Essentially, these students believe that modern scientific understanding is too Eurocentric. One explained:

"I have a question for all the science people. There is a place in KZN called Umhlab'uyalingana. They believe that through the magic' you call it black magic' they call it witchcraft' you are able to send lightening to strike someone. Can you explain that scientifically because it's something that happens?"

Many people laughed at this remark because, well, witchcraft is not something that happens. But according to the student, witchcraft is like Isaac Newton's theory of gravity—it's just one way of explaining the world, among many .