╌>

FBI Report: 57,000 Officers Assaulted While on Duty, 66 Killed in 2016

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  7 years ago  •  12 comments

FBI Report: 57,000 Officers Assaulted While on Duty, 66 Killed in 2016

10-16-2017

An increase of 37% over the previous year.

The FBI has released some sobering numbers on violence experienced by law enforcement officers. In 2016, over 57,000 officers were assaulted while on duty and 118 died. That’s up 37% from 2015 when 86 officers died in the line of duty.

In total, 66 police officers were murdered last year. Here's the breakdown:

• 17 officers were killed in ambush situations, a macabre byproduct of the Black Lives Matter movement.
  • 13 officers who died had responded to disturbance calls. 
  • 9 officers died as a result of investigating suspicious persons or circumstances. 
  • 9 officers died as a result of arrest situations. 
  • 6 officers were killed as a result of tactical situations (barricaded offender, hostage taking, high-risk entry, etc.). 
  • 5 officers were conducting investigative activities (surveillance, search, interview, etc.). 
  • 4 officers were fatally injured during traffic pursuits/stops. 
  • 3 officers were killed in unprovoked attacks.

The average stats for the officers killed are as follows: 40 years old, 13 years service, nearly all male and white. Only four were black and one was Asian/Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander. The majority of officers were wearing body armor at the time. 

The Left portrays officers as kill-happy soldiers shooting wildly in all directions. But of those officers murdered, only 14 fired their weapons and 11 attempted to fire. Three of the officers had their weapons stolen. The shooting deaths of 19 cops occurred when they were just five feet or less from the perpetrators.

The remaining 52 deaths were accidental, such as vehicle accidents and being unintentionally hit by motor vehicles.

According to the report, 57,180 officers were assaulted in 2016 and 29%, or 16,535 sustained injuries. In 2015, the number of officers assaulted was 50,212.

"All of these numbers increased from figures reported in 2015, when 45 officers died accidentally and 41 were feloniously killed in the line of duty," the report noted.

All of the details can be viewed in this report at the FBI’s website.

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  sixpick    7 years ago

The Left portrays officers as kill-happy soldiers shooting wildly in all directions. But of those officers murdered, only 14 fired their weapons and 11 attempted to fire. Three of the officers had their weapons stolen. The shooting deaths of 19 cops occurred when they were just five feet or less from the perpetrators.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
1.1  LynneA  replied to  sixpick @1    7 years ago

Is the LEFT portrayal necessary?  There are some of us on the left whose hearts break at the stats, having suffered the pain of loss by those who've serve our nation.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  LynneA  replied to    7 years ago

Given labels of today, I suppose my category is...Independent, Democrat leaner who is socially left, fiscally right, bleeding heart, Christian woman.  Oh, and a wife, mother and grandma :)

LynneA
Freshman Silent
1.1.4  LynneA  replied to    7 years ago

My "some" refers to those I personally know...I try not to speak for anyone else.  Thanks for the "right" invite, I'm good where I am.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

And we are supposed to believe the lefts narrative that this never happens.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  lennylynx  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    7 years ago

I never heard that narrative, that police never get killed on duty.  I've never heard even the most extreme left cop hater claim this, and neither have you. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  lennylynx @2.1    7 years ago

it goes with the retard narrative that cops just run around rampant killing people.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.1    7 years ago

Jeez Jeremy, I've never heard anyone claim that either!  You must hang with some real weird people.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.3  cjfrommn  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.1    7 years ago

wow a newer site and same bullshit. 

No one has ever said that crap.

what has been said is that the LEO NATION needs to get rid of bad acting , short fused, hyper sensitive type cops that have a pattern of violence and complaints that seem to only dealt with when they end UP killing unarmed citizens.

The fact that assaults have occurred is up, could be due in some part  because suspects(normal citizens) are tired of being messed with and some of it has to do with the nature of the job. The nature of a job that is REPEATEDLY said has a lot of physical interaction to it. 

citizens are tired, good cops are tired and yet nobody seems to want to scream as loud about removing the bad cops which cost TAX PAYERS MILLIONS A YEAR!!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    7 years ago

17 officers were killed in ambush situations, a macabre byproduct of the Black Lives Matter movement.

So the only ones that would ambush cops would be Black Lives Matter followers?  Sounds comforting to the "conservatives" , but is not reality. Unless you believe no cops were ever ambushed prior to 2014.