╌>

Poll: 46 percent think media make up stories about Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  7 years ago  •  48 comments

Poll: 46 percent think media make up stories about Trump

President Donald Trump is pictured. | Getty Images Nearly half of voters, 46 percent, believe the news media fabricate news stories about President Donald Trump and his administration, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

Just 37 percent of voters think the media do not fabricate stories, the poll shows, while the remaining 17 percent are undecided.

More than three-quarters of Republican voters, 76 percent, think the news media invent stories about Trump and his administration, compared with only 11 percent who don’t think so. Among Democrats, one-in-five think the media make up stories, but a 65 percent majority think they do not. Forty-four percent of independent voters think the media make up stories about Trump, and 31 percent think they do not.

Among the voters who strongly approve of Trump’s job performance in the poll, 85 percent believe the media fabricate stories about the president and his administration.

Trump last week accused NBC News of concocting a report that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had called Trump a “moron” and threatened to resign earlier this year. (Tillerson denies he intended to quit but has not personally disavowed the “moron” allegation.) After NBC reported that Tillerson’s comments came after a meeting in which Trump suggested a broad increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal, Trump called it “[p]ure fiction, made up to demean” him.

Throughout his young presidency — and during his campaign, as well — Trump has attacked media organizations that air or publish coverage critical of him and people in his orbit. On Tuesday, after the POLITICO/Morning Consult poll had left the field, Trump told a radio interviewer he thought news coverage of his administration would be more favorable.

“Actually, dishonesty in the media is one of the things that surprised me the most,” the president   told radio host Chris Plante . “I thought after I won, the media would become much more stable and much more honest. They’ve gone crazy. CNN is a joke. NBC is a total joke. You watch what they report, it bears no relationship to what I’m doing. But the media is absolutely dishonest — and frankly, I’ve never seen anything quite like it.”

Later in the day he hammered home the point via his favored medium. “So much Fake News being put in dying magazines and newspapers,” Trump tweeted. “Only place worse may be   @NBCNews ,   @CBSNews ,   @ABC   and   @CNN . Fiction writers!”

But voters diverge from the president on whether the federal government should be able to punish news organizations that he believes make up stories about him. Trump last week suggested the government could revoke NBC’s broadcast licenses.

Only 28 percent think the government should have the power to revoke broadcast licenses of major news organizations that it says are fabricating news stories about a president or the administration, while 51 percent think the government should not be able to do that. Another 21 percent are undecided.

Voters are split along party lines on this question, too. More than two-thirds of Democrats, 68 percent, think the federal government should not have the power to revoke broadcast licenses of those organizations. But more Republicans, 46 percent, think the government should have that power than the third of GOP voters who don’t think so.

“Voters, particularly Trump supporters, have become disenchanted with the national media,” said Kyle Dropp, chief research officer and co-founder of Morning Consult. “Even 20 percent of Democrats think that the national media fabricate stories on President Trump and his administration. That being said, many are still not willing to let the federal government censor the media.”

Overall, Trump’s job-approval rating sits at 44 percent in the new survey, up slightly from 42 percent last week. A 51 percent majority disapproves of Trump’s job performance, down a tick from 53 percent last week.

The poll also surveyed voters on Trump’s relationship with congressional Republicans — an affiliation ruptured in recent weeks after public spats with Sens. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.). GOP voters mostly take Trump’s side: Majorities say the president is more in touch with the American people than congressional Republicans and better aligned with their own principles by identical, 33-point margins, 58 percent to 25 percent.

GOP voters generally downplay the extent of the rift. Asked whether Republicans in Congress support Trump, 51 percent of GOP voters say they do, and 35 percent say they do not. Similarly, 53 percent of GOP voters think Republicans in Congress support Trump’s legislative agenda, compared with 32 percent who think they don’t.

The poll was conducted October 12-16, surveying 1,991 registered voters. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 2 percentage points.

Morning Consult is a nonpartisan media and technology company that provides data-driven research and insights on politics, policy and business strategy.

More details on the poll and its methodology can be found in these two documents — Toplines:   http://politi.co/2xMOykV   | Crosstabs:   http://politi.co/2kU6DYm

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/18/trump-media-fake-news-poll-243884

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    7 years ago

I wonder if the 46% believe what they believe because it's true?

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
1.1  Rex Block  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    7 years ago

Of course it's true. A vast portion of the media is allied with the left in destroying Trump and making up fake news.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Rex Block @1.1    7 years ago

Count me in on that 46%.  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    7 years ago

Pretty much any story that says Trump is worth the air he breathes is fake.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    7 years ago

You're gonna have to live with it

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    7 years ago

At least you don't disagree.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    7 years ago

I've asked numerous times for conservative Republicans to list the supposed "fake news" they claim is coming from CNN and NBC and all I've gotten were a few anecdotal stories of a BLM member quote was taken out of context and claims of a CNN editor admitting he didn't believe the Russia collusion stories (of course the stories themselves contained no "fake news"). The fact is the stories the Republicans are claiming are "fake" are simply critical of Trump or are opinion pieces that discuss facts but add their own "spin" inferring some possible wrongdoing like all the meetings so many of Trumps campaign members had with Russians (fact) inferring collusion (not proven yet).

This is done on both sides, just like the Uranium one story that infers some Hillary/Russia collusion based on a series of disparate facts that when put together make it look nefarious, but when you take each one separately you find it really doesn't add up to anything. The money given to her Foundation happened years before she ever knew she would be secretary of State and as secretary she was just one of 9 officials making the decision to allow Russia a 20% financial stake in the company that gave Russia NO access to any uranium. But put together in a hit piece by right wing media inferring some wrongdoing most on the right take it as gospel.

The real issue here is that many people have trouble reading between the lines, seeing where the author is stating facts versus insinuating that the facts might mean something more. It's a matter of poor reading comprehension where many walk away from an article thinking "Well damn, Hillary needs to be locked up" or "Damn, Trump needs to be locked up" while the article didn't actually present enough factual evidence to make those assumptions but the reader was led to believe that simply meeting with Russian operatives must be illegal or a foundation getting a donation must mean Hillary's guilty of some pay-for-play scheme. The people writing those articles aren't actual journalists, they're sensationalists.

So my recommendation is to do more research and you'll likely find that most opinion pieces on both the left and the right are full of conjecture and fluff designed to deceive, but aren't actually "fake news". The real "fake news" are actual lies being told by the media and that doesn't happen very often with most networks as they know they will be fact checked. If you look at the fact checking sites you'll notice that Fox is way out ahead of anyone else in false claims.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3    7 years ago
I've asked numerous times for conservative Republicans to list the supposed "fake news" they claim is coming from CNN and NBC and all I've gotten were a few anecdotal stories of a BLM member quote was taken out of context and claims of a CNN editor admitting he didn't believe the Russia collusion stories (of course the stories themselves contained no "fake news"). The fact is the stories the Republicans are claiming are "fake" are simply critical of Trump or are opinion pieces that discuss facts but add their own "spin" inferring some possible wrongdoing like all the meetings so many of Trumps campaign members had with Russians (fact) inferring collusion (not proven yet).

I just cant believe you said that.  I've given many examples in other articles.

For your benefit:

Shortly after Trump moved into the White House, Time reporter Zeke Miller reported the MLK statue was missing

CNN falsely stated that  the Senate intelligence committee was turning its probing eye toward Trump campaign adviser Anthony Scaramucci — and that he met with Russian investor Kirill Dmitriev before the January inauguration.

three reporters had to resign

The New York Times has finally admitted that one of the favorite Russia-gate canards – that all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies concurred on the assessment of Russian hacking of Democratic emails – is false.

On Thursday, the Times appended  a correction to a June 25 article  that had repeated the false claim, which has been used by Democrats and the mainstream media for months to brush aside any doubts about the foundation of the Russia-gate scandal and portray President Trump as delusional for doubting what all 17 intelligence agencies supposedly knew to be true.

There are three of the most well known. Any thoughts?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    7 years ago

So at respectable media companies when false stories happened "three reporters resign" and retractions are printed. Why has no one from Fox resigned and they never print retractions even though it's been shown 50% of their Statements reviewed by politifact were false?

Also, the fact that Russia did hack the DNC isn't a matter of opinion, it's a fact, and the intelligence community has confirmed it. The retractions were merely on the number of agencies confirming it.

From your link - "The assessment was made by four intelligence agencies — the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency. The assessment was not approved by all 17 organizations in the American intelligence community." That was the NY times retraction, no where does it say that the Russians didn't hack the DNC.

The hypocrisy on fake news coming from conservative Republicans is rather appalling.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3.2    7 years ago
So at respectable media companies when false stories happened "three reporters resign" and retractions are printed.

After Scaramuci filed a nice big lawsuit. What is so reputable about biased & false reporting

Why has no one from Fox resigned and they never print retractions even though it's been shown 50% of their Statements reviewed by politifact were false?

We were'nt talking about Fox. You asked for examples of main stream media bias and I provided the most well know examples.

Also, the fact that Russia did hack the DNC isn't a matter of opinion, it's a fact, and the intelligence community has confirmed it. The retractions were merely on the number of agencies confirming it.

That fact seemed to been the fall back position for the media. The Trump collusion narrative is NOT fact and that is what the vast majority of stories pertain to.
As for the 17 "intelligence agencies", the Times had the whole country believing that for such a long time. Even Hillary Clinton referred to it during one of the debates. It only took a little thought to what organizations would have to be included as intelligence organizations to make that number work - it is only then you realize how bold and irresponsible the lie was.

From your link - "The assessment was made by four intelligence agencies — the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency. The assessment was not approved by all 17 organizations in the American intelligence community." That was the NY times retraction, no where does it say that the Russians didn't hack the DNC.

And that is not being contested, never has and never will, but you are using it the way the media & progressives use it. When you cant prove collusion or the lie about the 17 agencies, you retreat to "hacking happened".

The hypocrisy on fake news coming from conservative Republicans is rather appalling.

Nope, the left owns it along with the biased reporting of seven prominent news organizations.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.3.6  sixpick  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3    7 years ago
The money given to her Foundation happened years before she ever knew she would be secretary of State

You know Dismayed Patriot, if you make you comment too long, it's inevitable you will be caught saying something that is not true.  Read the article from NYT below.

Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation Amid Russian Uranium Deal

I didn't even worry about the rest of it at this time.  Read the whole NYT article.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.3.7  sixpick  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    7 years ago

The main reason, I suppose, they don't know anything these FAKE news sources either broadcast of publish that is not true rarely get the same sort of publicity when they are debunked as they did when they presented the false information to the public originally.  These people never see MSNBC or CNN apologize for getting it wrong and never look, listen or read anything else, so they are easily fooled by the FAKE news.

Even Hillary Clinton appears to still believe Michael Brown was murdered even after Eric Holder and Obama did all they could to prove he was innocent.  If they couldn't come down and make him innocent, you can believe he was guilty just as Trayvon Martin was. 

Frederica Wilson did a lot toward getting the FBI buildings named much earlier than was to be, but she also is another one who likes to spread false information and you can't help believe it is for political gain or attention.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.3.8  sixpick  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3.2    7 years ago
50% of their Statements reviewed by politifact were false?

I'd like to see the link on that one and if they ever lied or misrepresented I could say that 100% of the statements reviewed by Politifact were false if they only reviewed the false statements. LOL

That's pure nonsense.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.3.9  sixpick  replied to  LMM @1.3.4    7 years ago

Tell me LMM, what collusion have they found over the last year and a half?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.3.10  sixpick  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    7 years ago

Those are the ones they were forced to make retractions on.  There's no way we can say Trump is honest, but the other option was a disaster and would have been far worse.  I can say I wish Trump was a little more eloquent in his manner, but I'll take him and his manner any day than what we would have had with HIllary.

Besides by Trump being elected, we hope we have a Constitutional Supreme Court Justice and Hillary isn't President.  Those were my only two reasons for voting for him and I know I received one of them and I'll see if the other one is what I wanted in time. 

Any way you look at it, we know the kind of Judges Hillary would have appointed, so we're 150% better off with Trump. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  1stwarrior    7 years ago

Drudge reported/quoted CNN as saying that 93% of their news about Trump is negative.  Of course, we all know them as the Clinton News Network.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @2    7 years ago

He's lucky it's not 100%.

He's 100% a worthless president, why shouldnt the coverage be 100% negative? 

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  Rex Block  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    7 years ago

So what has Trump done that you have trouble with??

He's been busy cleaning up Obama's damage.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Rex Block @2.1.1    7 years ago

Comment removed for skirting the CoC [ph]

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
2.1.3  Explorerdog  replied to  Rex Block @2.1.1    7 years ago

A so-called president that can claim accomplishment in a single area is pitiful at best. The fact is he has accomplished nothing but tearing down what his predecessors built. It is much easier to destroy something than to build, so that is what he does. He makes promises that he has no intention of keeping because to do so would require effort.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Explorerdog @2.1.3    7 years ago

I really don't give a shit about Trump one way or the other, but I noticed this about a month ago:

What Has Trump Done For America? LOTS

Ray Schneider, PhD,K Associate Professor Emeritus, Bridgewater College

President Trump’s biggest achievement has been to keep the incompetent, dishonest, greedy, corrupt scofflaw, Crooked Hillary, out of the White House.

1. Supreme Court Judge Gorsuch
2. 59 missiles dropped in Syria
3. He took us out of TPP
4. Illegal immigration is now down 70% (the lowest in 17 years)
5. Consumer confidence highest since 2000 at index 125.6
6. Mortgage applications for new homes rise to a seven year high
7. Arranged from 7% to 24% Tariff on lumber from Canada

8. Bids for border wall are well underway
9. Pulled out of the lopsided Paris accord
10. Keystone pipeline approved  
11. NATO allies boost spending by 4.3% 
12. Allowing VA to terminate bad employees  
13. Allowing private healthcare choices for veterans  
14. More than 600,000 Jobs created 
15. Median household income at a 7 year high  
16. The Stock Market is at the highest ever in its history 
17. China agreed to American import of beef 
18. $89 Billion saved in regulation rollbacks  
19. Rollback of A Regulation to boost coal mining 
20. MOAB for ISIS 
21. Travel ban reinstated 
22. Executive order for religious freedom  
23. Jump started NASA  
24. $600 million cut from UN peacekeeping budget  
25. Targeting of MS13 gangs 
26. Deporting violent illegal immigrants  
27. Signed 41 bills to date 
28. Created a commission on child trafficking  
29. Created a commission on voter fraud 
30. Created a commission for opioids addiction  
31. Giving power to states to drug test unemployment recipients  
32. Unemployment lowest since May 2007  
33. Historic Black College University initiative 
34. Women In Entrepreneurship Act  
35. Created an office for illegal immigrant crime victims  
36. Reversed Dodd-Frank 
37. Repealed DOT ruling which would have taken power away from local governments for infrastructure planning 
38. Order to stop crime against law enforcement  
39. End of DAPA program  
40. Stopped companies from moving out of America  
41. Promoted businesses to create American Jobs  
42. Encouraged country to once again – ‘Buy American and hire American’  
43. Cutting regulations – 2 for every one created  
45. Review of all trade agreements to make sure they are America first 
46. Apprentice program 
47. Highest manufacturing surge in 3 years  
48. $78 Billion promised reinvestment from major businesses like Exxon, Bayer, Apple, SoftBank, Toyota 
49. Denied FBI a new building  
50. $700 million saved with F-35 renegotiation  
51. Saves $22 million by reducing white house payroll  
52. Dept of Treasury reports a $182 billion surplus for April 2017 (2nd largest in history) 
53. Negotiated the release of 6 US humanitarian workers held captive in Egypt  
54. Gas prices lowest in more than 12 years 
55. Signed An Executive Order To Promote Energy Independence and Economic Growth 
56. Has already accomplished more to stop government interference into people’s lives than any President in the history of America 
57. President Trump has worked with Congress to pass more legislation in his first 100 days than any President since Truman 
58. Has given head executive of each branches 6 month time frame, dated March 15, 2017, to trim the fat, restructure and improve efficiency of their branch. (Observe the push-back the leaks the lies as entrenched POWER refuses to go silently into that good night!) 
59. Last, refused his Presidential pay check. Donated it to Veterans issues

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
2.1.5  Explorerdog  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    7 years ago

A whole bunch of that list is that he is benefiting from the strong economy he inherited as well as regulatory changes that have shown the intended outcomes, it need to be reduced to items that he actually accomplished and things like Gorsuch? Making an appointment that didn't get drop kicked out the door. He is presiding with the Executive Order as his only successful tool and he blasted Obama for using then at all.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Explorerdog @2.1.5    7 years ago

All I have to say about Gorsuch is that Gorsucks - he sides with the corporations and against the little guy all the time.  

Perfect for Donald Rump.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    7 years ago

Saved

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.1.8  96WS6  replied to  Explorerdog @2.1.5    7 years ago
A whole bunch of that list is that he is benefiting from the strong economy he inherited

5. Consumer confidence highest since 2000 at index 125.6
6. Mortgage applications for new homes rise to a seven year high

14. More than 600,000 Jobs created 
15. Median household income at a 7 year high  
16. The Stock Market is at the highest ever in its history 

These are the only ones that could possibly be construed as you claim.  Even by a misguided BO fan, even so, it is an awful long stretch.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  1stwarrior @2    7 years ago
Drudge reported/quoted CNN as saying that 93% of their news about Trump is negative.

You do know that "negative" and "fake" are two completely different words with two completely different meanings, right?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2    7 years ago

They both have the same results.  What's your point?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2.1    7 years ago
They both have the same results.

How so? The right wing reveled in their negative reporting of everything Obama, was it all "fake news"? I think much of it was but a media organization focusing on the negative is their prerogative, it was how Fox News built their empire.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
3  Account Deleted    7 years ago

I can understand the publics disbelieve in the stories that come out daily about the President. 

I mean, who in their right mind would think that threating John McCain  would end well for them.

Surely that's fake news...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Account Deleted @3    7 years ago

The fake news is the media claiming the public is on McCains side. 

lib50
Professor Silent
3.1.1  lib50  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    7 years ago

The minute I hear Trump call something 'fake news' I know its real and what he says is a lie.  Some of us have been watching faux news for years make up and perpetuate fake narratives.  Now journalists are coming forward to bring fact checking back to journalism.  Why the hell would anybody believe a person who literally lies every day, even about the most obvious and easily checked? That would be Trump. Why do you choose to believe a provable liar?

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
3.1.2  Rex Block  replied to  lib50 @3.1.1    7 years ago

Who are you talking about....Obama or Hillary??

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
3.1.3  Explorerdog  replied to  Rex Block @3.1.2    7 years ago

Comment removed skirting the CoC [ph]

Explorer Dog, Please read the meta articles Flagging, Violations, Suspensions. Thank you.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  lib50 @3.1.1    7 years ago
Trump

As always your comments are on topic, fact filled and backed by linked information

lib50
Professor Silent
3.1.6  lib50  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.5    7 years ago

As always, you don't want to acknowledge what is in front of your face.

Not to mention you can watch him on tv or any media any day and if you are interested you can see what is true and what isn't.  His words, untrue.

Rhyferys
Freshman Silent
3.1.7  Rhyferys  replied to  lib50 @3.1.1    7 years ago

I have to agree, here's just a sample:

Rhyferys
Freshman Silent
4  Rhyferys    7 years ago

All this poll shows is our partisan divide, it says nothing about how much or what fake news is. For that, you need fact checkers, and when they show that Trump is lying, Republicans simply call it fake news. They are caught in their own Catch-22, ad they seem to enjoy it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Rhyferys @4    7 years ago

The article is a poll of how accurate the media is on Trump.

Let us begin:

How about the reporter that falsely claimed the bust of Martin Luther King had been removed from the White House?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  LMM @4.1.1    7 years ago

Careful, his answer will be, "Well Benghazi."