╌>

Giffords' Gun Control Group has Jumped the Shark!

Category:  News & Politics

By:  uncle-bruce  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

Giffords' Gun Control Group has Jumped the Shark!

Giffords.org has released a new report titled “Legal and Lethal—9 Products That Could Be the Next Bump Stock” . And I have to say, they have their heads planted firmly up their asses.

Now, all 9 of the items that they list are in fact true products on the market. But like Bump-stocks, they are far from common among gun criminals. Too far to be the next big killer on American streets.

I could write volumes about each of the items, but there is one on this list that has me so perplexed at their stupidity that I’m just going to concentrate on it for this article.

MUZZLELOADERS

Even if silencers were removed from the NFA, the guns they attach to would still be subject to certain basic provisions of federal law. These laws prohibit convicted felons and other dangerous people from possessing guns, require gun retailers to be licensed, and require licensed retailers to conduct background checks on purchasers. There is one blanket exception to these laws, however: the exception for antique firearms, including muzzleloaders. The gun industry is determined to exploit this exception.

Muzzleloaders are firearms that must be loaded through the end of the barrel with powder, wadding and a projecticle. Muzzleloaders fell out of favor as a firearm of choice almost a century ago, and are generally seen as primitive antiques. That’s why federal law generally exempts them from regulation.

Cue the .50 caliber muzzleloader, which delivers a particularly lethal .50 caliber round. This weapon is designed with a built-in device to suppress its sound. If any other firearm were built with such a device, it would be subject to the NFA as a silencer. But since this device is designed to suppress the sound of something that is exempt from federal firearms laws, it is not considered a silencer and not subject to the NFA. In fact, it is not subject to any laws at all and can be bought online.

Now there is so much wrong with their premise here, that I hardly know where to start. So let’s start with what they get correct.

Yes, muzzle loading firearms are not considered firearms by the BATF. And yes, a felon can legally own a muzzle loader under current Federal law. However, many states still consider muzzle loading weapons firearms, and still prohibit felons from possessing them. So they are only partially right in this case.

Now let’s look at this statement:

Cue the .50 caliber muzzleloader, which delivers a particularly lethal .50 caliber round.

I’m really flummoxed by the “particularly lethal” part. Here’s why.

Most muzzle loading rifles used for hunting come in three common calibers: .40 cal, .45 cal. and .50 cal. (Yes there are other calibers, but these are the common hunting calibers). These are rather big bullets, in circumference. Lethal? Yes. (That’s the point in using them to hunt). Particularly lethal? Please! The Giffords group is trying to conjure up a scary scenario based on the .50 BMG round common to the Barrett and other 50 Cal sniper rifles made famous in Iraq and Afghanistan. (In fact, it’s number 7 on their list).

So let’s look at these two rounds. The 50 cal BMG, and the 50 cal Muzzle Loader bullet. No, I mean let’s actually LOOK at them:

The 50 Cal BMG

_50_BMG__12_70x99_mm__04.jpg

The 50 cal Muzzle Loader bullet

GVMG_brobb_Federalmzbullet4.jpg

Notice a difference? Let me explain. In bullet alone, the 50 cal BMG is typically 647 to 800 grains in weight. The 50 cal muzzle loaded bullet by contrast is only 270-300 grains. Less than half the size.

As far as lethality, you’re just as dead with a 50 Cal BMG as with a 50 cal muzzle loader. Or a 45 cal. Or a 38 cal. or a 22 cal.

The problem is in the way that they present this “issue”. This is the picture they use to accompany the write up.

170918145109silencercomuzzleloaderbridge780x439.jpg

So scary. It presents the reader with the notion of a mad sniper sitting on a hilltop picking off drivers as they cross the Golden Gate Bridge below. Pure fantasy.

IF a sniper was using a Barrett 50 Cal BMG, he MIGHT be able to hit a car on the bridge from that distance. Might. I don’t know how far this guy is from the bridge. But the point is the Barrett rifle with a 50 Cal BMG round has an effective range out to about 2000 yards. The 50 Cal BMG has a muzzle velocity of about 3000 ft/sec, and a muzzle energy of about 13,000 ft-lbs of force. The muzzle loader by contrast has a muzzle velocity of about 2100 ft/sec, and a muzzle energy of about 2600 ft-lbs of force.

What does this mean? This means that the effective range of a muzzle loader rifle is limited to about 250 yards. In fact, the ethical killing range most manufacturers discuss when talking about muzzle loaders is 100-150 yards.

And that’s just the beginning. Do we need to discuss reload time (upwards of one minute), accuracy (affected by just about everything including wind, temperature, fouled barrel), ballistics (fully 7ft calculated bullet drop at 400 yards)? I don’t think it’s necessary.

But let’s look at the last thing they talk about. The suppressed muzzle loader. Yes, there is a product on the market that is a muzzle loaded .50 cal rifle with a built in suppressor. And it costs $1000. Hardly the most affordable weapon of choice for today’s criminal sniper. What they fail to tell you is that even with the sound suppressed, the muzzle loader produces a lot of smoke. A LOT of smoke. No sniper is going to go sniping with a rifle that gives away his position every time he pulls the trigger. Especially when it takes him upwards of a minute to reload. And his effective range is only 100-150 yards. Pure fantasy.

Yep. In my opinion, they have just jumped the shark.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
1  author  Uncle Bruce    7 years ago

It's not about guns.  It's about control.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Uncle Bruce @1    7 years ago

The Gun is the Maxim 50 from SilencerCo, as is the photo, and that is IV8888 holding it over his shoulder. IV8888 aka IraqVeteran8888 is one of the leading online gun enthusiasts. that particular image is used all over the web on gun blogs and isn't even the original image.....

Here is a video of him with Jerry Miculek

So what this is is the gun controllers stealing images and videos from the manufacturers for their putrid campaigns.....

By the way, back in September, SinencerCo pulled the Maxim 50 from three states as their gun laws will make it impossible to sell in those states....

SilencerCo halts Maxim 50 sales in California, Massachusetts and New Jersey

“These three states have rules that are not entirely clear with respect to firearms and silencers and antique firearms, and it is relevant to point out that no states contemplated a product of this sort in their laws,” said the company, going on to say they have “no desire to place any consumer in a situation where they may get arrested and charged with a felony because their state defines a firearm differently than the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.”

This is what happens when we have people who haven't a clue writing gun laws.....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1    7 years ago

And the BATF's classification of this gun.....

ATF: SilencerCo Maxim 50’s Silencer Not A Silencer Because A Muzzleloader Is Not a Gun

Silencers are subject to federal gun control laws that are more restrictive than for most guns. They are treated like machine guns, requiring a more intensive background check that takes months to process, with a $200 tax.

But muzzleloaders are not subject to federal gun control laws because they use antiquated firing mechanisms without modern ammunition, said Max Kingery, chief of the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Criminal Branch of the ATF. “Thus, there would be no federal restriction on the sale or distribution of this item,” he said.

SilencerCo provided CNNMoney with a letter from the ATF that greenlights the Maxim 50, saying that their silencer is not considered a silencer because it’s permanently attached to the muzzleloader , which is not considered a gun.

Completely assinine.....

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  author  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1    7 years ago

Good post.  And really that's what it comes down to.  State laws vs Federal laws.  In Mississippi, felons can not own a muzzle loader.  Their definition of a firearm includes muzzle loaders.  I'm looking into what Missouri law allows.

There was another thing they say that really made me laugh:

The gun industry is determined to exploit this exception.

I really wish someone would show me where they are exploiting this exception.  It's not like my interest generated ad spam is popping up black powder firearms all over the place.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2  Nowhere Man    7 years ago

Well to counter this, we need a demonstration of the only effective gun control....

Now, not everyone will be forced to suffer from that level of gun control, but if we even have to endure half that level we will be doing great!

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4  The Magic 8 Ball    7 years ago

trump is not going to sign any gun regulations. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4    7 years ago

Hope not--we have enough already!

user image
Freshman Silent
5      7 years ago

t

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1  lennylynx  replied to  @5    7 years ago