╌>

'Blowback': Clinton campaign planned to fire me over email probe, Obama intel watchdog says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  7 years ago  •  77 comments

'Blowback': Clinton campaign planned to fire me over email probe, Obama intel watchdog says

Video

A government watchdog who played a central role in the Hillary Clinton email investigation during the Obama administration told Fox News that he, his family and his staffers faced an intense backlash at the time from Clinton allies – and that the campaign even put out word that it planned to fire him if the Democratic presidential nominee won the 2016 election.

“There was personal blowback. Personal blowback to me, to my family, to my office,” former Intelligence Community Inspector General Charles McCullough III said.  

The Obama appointee discussed his role in the Clinton email probe for the first time on television, during an exclusive interview with Fox News. McCullough – who came to the inspector general position with more than two decades of experience at the FBI, Treasury and intelligence community – shed light on how quickly the probe was politicized and his office was marginalized by Democrats.

In January 2016, after McCullough told the Republican leadership on the Senate intelligence and foreign affairs committees that emails beyond the “Top Secret” level passed through the former secretary of state's unsecured personal server, the backlash intensified.

mccullough 1127a

Former Intelligence Community Inspector General Charles McCullough III.

“All of a sudden I became a shill of the right,” McCullough recalled. “And I was told by members of Congress, ‘Be careful. You're losing your credibility. You need to be careful. There are people out to get you.’”

But the former inspector general, with responsibility for the 17 intelligence agencies, said the executive who recommended him to the Obama administration for the job – then-Director of National Intelligence James Clapper – was also disturbed by the independent Clinton email findings.

“[Clapper] said, ‘This is extremely reckless.’ And he mentioned something about -- the campaign … will have heartburn about that,” McCullough said.

He said Clapper's Clinton email comments came during an in-person meeting about a year before the presidential election – in late December 2015 or early 2016. “[Clapper] was as off-put as the rest of us were.”

After the Clapper meeting, McCullough said his team was marginalized. “I was told by senior officials to keep [Clapper] out of it,” he said, while acknowledging he tried to keep his boss in the loop.

As one of the few people who viewed the 22 top secret Clinton emails deemed too classified to release under any circumstances, the former IG said, “There was a very good reason to withhold those emails ... there would have been harm to national security.” McCullough went further, telling Fox News that “sources and methods, lives and operations” could be put at risk.

Some of those email exchanges contained Special Access Program  (SAP) information characterized by intel experts as “above top secret.”  

“I was told by members of Congress, ‘Be careful. You're losing your credibility. You need to be careful. There are people out to get you.’”

- Former Intelligence Community Inspector General Charles McCullough III

WikiLeaks documents show the campaign was formulating talking points as the review of 30,000 Clinton emails was ongoing. 

The campaign team wrote in August 2015   that “Clinton only used her account for unclassified email. When information is reviewed for public release, it is common for information previously unclassified to be upgraded to classified.”

McCullough was critical of the campaign’s response, as the classified review had barely begun. “There was an effort … certainly on the part of the campaign, to mislead people into thinking that there was nothing to see here,” McCullough said.

In March 2016, seven senior Democrats sent a letter to McCullough and his State Department counterpart, saying they had serious questions about the impartiality of the Clinton email review. However, McCullough was not making the decisions on what material in Clinton’s emails was classified -- he was passing along the findings of the individual agencies who got the intelligence and have final say on classification.

“I think there was certainly a coordinated strategy,” McCullough said.

McCullough described one confrontation with Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein's office just six weeks before the election, amid pressure to respond to the letter – which Feinstein had co-signed.

“I thought that any response to that letter would just hyper-politicize the situation,” McCullough said. “I recall even offering to resign, to the staff director. I said, ‘Tell [Feinstein] I'll resign tonight. I'd be happy to go. I'm not going to respond to that letter. It's just that simple.”

As Election Day approached, McCullough said the threats went further, singling out him and another senior government investigator on the email case.

“It was told in no uncertain terms, by a source directly from the campaign, that we would be the first two to be fired -- with [Clinton’s] administration. That that was definitely going to happen,” he said.

McCullough said he was just trying to do his job, which requires independence. "I was, in this context, a whistleblower. I was explaining to Congress -- I was doing exactly what they had expected me to do. Exactly what I promised them I would do during my confirmation hearing,” he said. “... This was a political matter, and all of a sudden I was the enemy."

He said pressures also increased early on from Clinton’s former team at the State Department, especially top official Patrick Kennedy.

"State Department management didn't want us there,” McCullough said. “We knew we had had a security problem at this point. We had a possible compromise."

Speaking about the case more than a year after the FBI probe concluded, McCullough in his interview also addressed the possibility that a more cooperative State Department and Clinton campaign might have precluded the FBI’s involvement from the start.

“Had they come in with the server willingly, without having us to refer this to the bureau … maybe we could have worked with the State Department,” he said.

More than 2,100 classified emails passed through Clinton's personal server, which was used exclusively for government business. No one has been charged.

Asked what would have happened to him if he had done such a thing, McCullough said: “I'd be sitting in Leavenworth right now.”

Fox News asked a Clinton campaign spokesman, Feinstein’s office and Clapper for comment. There was no immediate response. 

Catherine Herridge is an award-winning Chief Intelligence correspondent for FOX News Channel (FNC) based in Washington, D.C. She covers intelligence, the Justice Department and the Department of Homeland Security. Herridge joined FNC in 1996 as a London-based correspondent.

Pamela K. Browne is Senior Executive Producer at the FOX News Channel (FNC) and is Director of Long-Form Series and Specials. Her journalism has been recognized with several awards. Browne first joined FOX in 1997 to launch the news magazine “Fox Files” and later, “War Stories.”

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  sixpick    7 years ago

At long last we are starting to see some justice hopefully.  It has been way overdue.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
1.1  Rex Block  replied to  sixpick @1    7 years ago

She broke the law by her actions, and should have been prosecuted. Thankfully she has been declawed and will never hold office again. Now, if she would just shut up and go away. 

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.2  Willjay9  replied to  sixpick @1    7 years ago

Yeah! Hopefully she will be impeached any day now!.......(Lol!)

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Willjay9 @1.2    7 years ago

hopefully in jail anyday now!

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.1    7 years ago
hopefully in jail anyday now!

Only to visit Mike Flynn--unless he's made a deal to give up the Trump criminal family.  Even then he'll still probably do time. 

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.2.3  Willjay9  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.1    7 years ago

For what crime?!......still waiting!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Sunshine  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.2    7 years ago
Trump criminal family

is Barron stealing your Oreos?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Sunshine  replied to  LMM @1.2.4    7 years ago

oval offices don't have corners.  lol.

go back to elementary school.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.7  Sunshine  replied to  Willjay9 @1.2.3    7 years ago
For what crime?!..

you really feel that having a private server for years was not a crime?  and putting our military at risk was not a crime?

still waiting!

hang in there

Junior Participates
1.2.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.6    7 years ago
oval offices don't have corners

That was the joke.  I'll refrain from the childish violation of the CoC. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.9  Sunshine  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.8    7 years ago

oh you are a quick one, can't get by you. applause

Junior Participates
1.2.13  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.9    7 years ago
oh you are a quick one, can't get by you.

But it sure got by you.  waving

Junior Participates
1.2.14  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.5    7 years ago
is Barron stealing your Oreos?

I feel so sorry for that young man.  I'd give him all my Oreos if he wanted them but all the Oreos in the universe aren't going to undo the damage being the son of that bag o' shit has done. 

Junior Participates
1.2.15  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  NORMAN-D @1.2.12    7 years ago
You mean the 'uranium One deal'? You have the wrong 'family'......That would be the Clinton crime family....or as you know it....the Clinton Foundation.

Another bogus rightwing "scandal" that's been blown to bits over and over.  The only rightwingers still humping that one are the dead-enders who never care how idiotic they look.  

Junior Participates
1.2.16  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.7    7 years ago
you really feel that having a private server for years was not a crime?

It's not subject to what anyone "feels."  It simply is not a crime.  Repeat:  Not. A. Crime.  And: Never. Was. 

LynneA
Freshman Silent
1.3  LynneA  replied to  sixpick @1    7 years ago

The article puts forth an account from a former government employee, but to what end?  I don't see justice in the works here.

Been waiting a year to see legislation prohibiting the use of private servers and email accounts for ALL government employees.  Obviously the outrage was political maneuvering with no intention of providing a remedy.  The maneuvering is sickening on all sides, American's are looking for solutions.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
1.3.3  LynneA  replied to  NORMAN-D @1.3.2    7 years ago

Yes, but I've a life beyond NT...shopping and dinner with my guy! 

Didn't take your response as a question, actually was trying to determine why the sentence ended in a question mark. 

I'm questioning why we still do not have a law making it a criminal offense to use private server/email by a government official.  All information used or decimated, in the performance of a government job, should be handled through government servers and email addresses...no exceptions.   

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.3.4  seeder  sixpick  replied to  LynneA @1.3    7 years ago

I Agee Lynne.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    7 years ago

No surprises. She lies and threatens anyone who won't lie for her.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    7 years ago

Guess getting fired isn't could be a good thing when dealing with the Clinton's. 

Junior Participates
2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    7 years ago
She lies and threatens anyone who won't lie for her.

Like who?  Don't tell me your going all VinceFoster on us again.  Can't you come up with any new fabrications? 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    7 years ago

As one of the few people who viewed the 22 top secret Clinton emails deemed too classified to release under any circumstances, the former IG said, “There was a very good reason to withhold those emails ... there would have been harm to national security.” McCullough went further, telling Fox News that “sources and methods, lives and operations” could be put at risk.
Some of those email exchanges contained Special Access Program (SAP) information characterized by intel experts as “above top secret.”  

and Democrats still voted for her for President.  complete disregard for the national security of our people.

More than 2,100 classified emails passed through Clinton's personal server, which was used exclusively for government business. No one has been charged.
Asked what would have happened to him if he had done such a thing, McCullough said: “I'd be sitting in Leavenworth right now.”

Junior Participates
3.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sunshine @3    7 years ago
and Democrats still voted for her for President.  complete disregard for the national security of our people.

It's hard to believe a Trump voter would try to get away with that but there it is.....

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1    7 years ago

harder to believe you think Clinton is Mary Poppins.