╌>

Some Americans are ignorant and proud...lol!

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  18 comments

Some Americans are ignorant and proud...lol!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

"Some" Americans? I would say "most" Americans ....

(And given the horrendous state of our so-called "educational" system, this seems ton be getting worse.

MUCH worse :-(

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Krishna @1    7 years ago

Ignorance is more than just the educational level of the person, one can have a PHD and, still be as ignorant as a moron.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    7 years ago

Sadly that is so true ....

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    7 years ago

When I lived in Boone, N.C. we locals had a saying about the students that attended Appalachian State, we said they were educated idiots because, they had a tendency to forget common sense at times.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.2    7 years ago
we said they were educated idiots because, they had a tendency to forget common sense at times. That brings up an important point-- often people confuse being educated with having common sense. I had a few very well educated professors. Some were actually pretty intelligent-- in their field of learning. But common sense? Not so much!!!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Krishna @1.1.3    7 years ago

My Mom said that "horse sense" was the same as common sense, she made a sign that hung in a local store until she passed away, it read, "Horse sense is what keeps horses from betting on people."

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Krishna @1.1.3    7 years ago
often people confuse being educated with having common sense.

While that may be true at times, I still want a surgeon who did well in medical school and actually graduated doing my surgery, not some guy with barely a high school diploma saying "Well common sense says we should just pull the rebar out and apply some bandages...". So let's not confuse common sense with a decent higher education for most skills.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.5    7 years ago

I don't believe Krishna is saying that education is bad but, there are times when common sense trumps, (excuse the pun), education.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.7  magnoliaave  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.5    7 years ago

For sure.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @1.1.3    7 years ago
Some were actually pretty intelligent-- in their field of learning. But common sense? Not so much!!!

This is very very common is academia from my experience.   Especially in the technical fields of endeavor that i experienced.

But it's not limited to that.    We see it in the trades every day as well.   The difference is the tradespeople usually aren't telling you how smart they are.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @1    7 years ago

"Some Americans Are Ignorant And Proud...Lol!"

That would be a 100% of Donald Rump's supporters

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @1.2.1    7 years ago

They seem to think if they only take enough money away from the rich and redistribute it to the poor, all problems will be solved.

SMDH at the sheer lunacy of that kind of thinking!

They have never seen a problem that throwing more and more money at won't fix.

Talk about astounding ignorance!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2  mocowgirl    7 years ago

Memorizing endless names, dates and places is overrated, IMO.  

However, everyone who receives a high school diploma should know the basics of world history - how and why governments were formed and how and why those governments transitioned from creation to what is in place today if only to have better debates on and off of the internet.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    7 years ago

"Common Sense" is pretty muddy these days, and even "Book Smarts" is waning . nervous