╌>

Figure Out Where to Put the Apostrophe With This Handy Flowchart

Category:  Other

Via:  bob-nelson  •  6 years ago  •  49 comments

Figure Out Where to Put the Apostrophe With This Handy Flowchart

For some of us, grade-school grammar lessons haven’t stuck. I managed fairly well with my trusty Elements of Style until pretty recently, but the ongoing assault on grammar that is the Internet occasionally shakes my confidence. (Every time I want to type rein, rain, or reign, for example, I need to close my eyes and meditate for a moment.)

zmkf7jj0jhlvt7sfp9qv.jpg Alan Levine

If you’re one of those people for whom grammar and punctuation don’t come easily (or aren’t a native English speaker), this handy flowchart from GrammarCheck.net will come in handy: It will help you navigate all the questions that determine whether you need an apostrophe or not, from the big (Are you making something possessive?) to the small (Is it a single-letter word?).

Now, confession: I love reading grammar guides not only because I’m a total geek, but because I often either learn something I don’t know or the explanation articulates a concept I understand intuitively but never really thought about: For example, one-letter words in sentences like “There are two t’s in kittens” take an apostrophe.

One quibble: In the “Are you making a contraction?” section, the question reads “Are you making words shorter by replacing some of its letters with an apostrophe?” This is sloppy—it should read “Are you making words shorter by replacing some of their letters with an apostrophe?” Perhaps the next GrammarCheck flowchart should be on the sticky grammar question of agreement.

jurwlc2i197qneduy6sd.jpg grammarcheck.net

=============================

Original article

by Leigh Anderson

lifehacker

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

The trouble with this kind of tool is that those who care about grammar usually know it fairly well, while those who need a lot of help usually... don't give a flying F.

But please folks... Just ONE rule: don't use an apostrophe for plural. I you do, you'll be wrong 99.99% of the time...

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    5 years ago

So...  The plural of kitten is kitten's?  I've never heard of the double letter thing.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    5 years ago

That's what Bob just said NOT to do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    5 years ago

The plural for kitten is "kittens" with no apostrophe as in:

My cat had four kittens. 

If kittens becomes a possessive noun such as:

I threw the kitten's toy for him to chase.  In this case, an apostrophe is warranted.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.3  lennylynx  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.2    5 years ago

Or it can be a plural possessive with the apostrophe at the end:  "I threw the kittens' toys for them to chase."  There, now the lesson is complete!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

No, the flowchart specifically says that the word kitten has 2 tees so you use an apostrophe for plural.  Am I wrong?  It's so confusing.  I thought I was good at this.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
1.1.5  tomwcraig  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.4    5 years ago

You are misreading the example.  Which is if the word being used is a single letter, like "t", then when it is pluralized, then you use an apostrophe and s as in "Kitten has two t's in it."

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2  cjcold  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    5 years ago
don't give a flying F.

Thank you for the lesson in grammars.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

(Every time I want to type rein, rain, or reign, for example, I need to close my eyes and meditate for a moment.)

I just use em all in the same sentence, problem solved, cause as most are well aware of around here, there is nothing more important than being grammatically correct, to this ignorant fool,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

The only advice in the flowchart which I would never follow is adding 's after a name that ends in "s" to indicate a possessive. Using the name Dennis as an example, the chart would authorize Dennis's.  IMO an apostrophe after the name is sufficient.  Now what do we do when there are a number of Dennis's (which seems to be the proper form to pluralize Dennis) who own something together?  Would it be Dennis's'? I note that that was not red-underlined, so it's probably right. 

Another question is whether it's correct to pluralize "it" like this: There are too many its used in that sentence (in the event that the word "it" is used too often).  But then what if the word "its" is used too often?  Do you write: There are too many (its' or its's) used in that sentence. The latter was red-underlined, so my computer thinks that the former use is correct.

Homonyms and the failure of computer spell check to identify the correct usage thereof is a whole other story. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago

I've never done it that way either.  Seems redundant.

epistte
Junior Guide
6  epistte    5 years ago

The Elements Of Style is free online for anyone who might be interested.

The free version of Grammarly is decent but far from perfect. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  epistte @6    5 years ago

what, writing style

cause i style my hair after my wrong righting, it's easy

i njust stick my tongue in the light socket with switch on.

JBB
Professor Principal
8  JBB    5 years ago

Your indoubtedly rite this tyme. Some peoples gramer righting and speling is real bad. Irregardless, its plane too sea Im shure you agree. Whats up with that. I jest dont know do you. Just askin? Im curis, two...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Having the Owner and General Manager of tw business, and being the Secretary of the Board of Directors for a Technology Assoc., as well as the Executive Secretary for the Superintendent of Maintenance for a large Transit Operation, I had to learn very early the value of good grammar and its importance in how written correspondence reflects on the writer, the person who signs the document and the company they represent.

Plus, I had to learn to type 120 wpm in order to make sure the necessary documents were ready on time. I was also a data entry technician at the San Diego Navel Air Station where every minute and key stroke cost money. Typing at 120 wpm and maintaining total accuracy was a challenge, but, there was a lot on the line and there were no other choices at the time.

So yes, good grammar is important, and is a direct reflection on the person behind the keyboard. I often find that most people are more willing to over look a misspelled word now and then than they are in over looking poor grammar. 

I actually find myself mentally correcting other people's grammar as I am reading. Old habit. (grin)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @9    5 years ago

In my case, preparing legal documents REQUIRED perfect grammar or they could be interpreted differently than intended, so preparing them for 37 years, and then teaching English to Chinese students has had its effects.  However, I rarely criticize others for poor grammar because in many circumstances English could be the user's second language, and I wished I could speak or write their first language as well they could speak or write English.  As well, one must assume that typographical errors are so easily committed.

Only one time recently I corrected a member whose English was his first language when he used the word it's as a possessive, and the only reason I did was because in his comment he actually called OTHER members stupid. Of course he disagreed with me, said I was wrong, and argued that it's was the possessive use, and then he checked a grammar guide and apologized.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1    5 years ago

Indeed, I worked as a paralegal for a law firm for 3 years, and as you said, correct grammar and spelling was/is imperative. 

Also, I was a Microsoft MVP for 3 years, and during that time I helped edit the Help files for some of the apps. for correct spelling and grammar during the pre-release process. My nickname with those groups was "Teacher", as many would come and ask me how to spell words, or which punctuation should be used. 

I don't call out the mistakes of others, as at this point in life my eyes and fingers don't work as well as they did when I was younger. And working from a laptop keyboard is not one of my best efforts. Especially, when it tries to second guess what I want to write or say.(smile)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Or you could just use "Grammarly.com"... 

but seriously, really neat flow chart. 

epistte
Junior Guide
10.1  epistte  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    5 years ago
Or you could just use "Grammarly.com"... 

Do you have the paid version or the freebie version?

Ender
Professor Principal
11  Ender    5 years ago

Buzz taught me about its and it's. 

I just somehow was taught to use an apostrophe if it was supposed to be possessive.

Sort of like too and to. I still have a problem with that one. I just use too like I would, as well.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @11    5 years ago

Just so everyone will know, Ender was NOT the person whom I said called other members stupid.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1    5 years ago

Haha

Thanks.

For the record, Buzz helped me with a short article I wrote. Thanks again.

Ender
Professor Principal
12  Ender    5 years ago

Another one I thought of, beside too and to.

Affect end effect.

I usually get them wrong so I just say impact.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
12.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @12    5 years ago

Assure... Ensure... Insure

TᵢG
Professor Principal
12.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @12.1    5 years ago

Yup, ensure / insure is a common problem area.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
12.1.2  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @12.1.1    5 years ago

there, their, they're; your, you're

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
12.1.3  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Bob Nelson @12.1.2    5 years ago

Believe it or not, in a detective novel, "bauble" instead of "bobble"!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Shouldn't be too hard to distinguish - affect=verb  effect=noun

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13    5 years ago

Well you know English is strange Buzz.   One can effect a change to produce a positive effect that will affect others who are then considered to be affected.

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @13.1    5 years ago

See, both instances sounded like verb usage to me.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @13.1.1    5 years ago

Effect a change is a verb usage but the effect of the change is a noun usage.   This is one of the reasons English is so difficult ... all the special rules.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @13.1    5 years ago

Yes, that's right. I didn't think of the fact that "effect" can also be used as a verb.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @13.1.2    5 years ago

LOL.  If you think ENGLISH is difficult, what about 中文

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.4    5 years ago

I hear you - an entirely different paradigm.   Symbols with the meaning at the level of the English word which are modified by adjacent symbols to produce an idea.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
13.1.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @13.1.2    5 years ago
This is one of the reasons English is so difficult ... all the special rules.

Well, in this instance, i'll have to admit,

im somewhat like Trumppy, asz he and i are the non acception ssayin those special rules don't apply to US, but Russia will gbet to have the casast lyoh, 

as Putin playwd wt his pony, while Trumppy pinned its tale, while pullin tillersonspittin one out, with a forj=ked tongue, that he uses toknife through the mou7nds of almond rejoices, that spork onto a fork like a dork about to consummate his divorcefrom a pseudo reality

staar ring himself  asz the prez