╌>

Democrats Have Slim Chances in Midterms

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  205 comments

Democrats Have Slim Chances in Midterms

So, you’re part of the resistance. Oops, I’m sorry — #TheResistance. Ever since the tears began drying on the “I’m With Her” shirt on the morning of Nov. 9 of 2016, you marked the 2018 midterms on your calendar. That’s when the Democrats were going to take the House and the Senate, rendering a Trump presidency meaningless — at least for the last two years of it.

That may sound awesome in theory. Unfortunately, we did the math, and in practice, chances are slim in both departments. Not Cleveland-Browns-winning-the-Super-Bowl slim. But maybe, say, New-York-Jets-winning-the-Super-Bowl slim.

First, let’s start in the Senate. The current breakdown, including independents who caucus with the Democrats, is 51-49 in favor of Republicans. Sounds doable for Democrats, right? Especially after Democrat Doug Jones’ victory in Alabama.

Well, not really. First, the Democrats are going to be on the defensive in a major way. As The New York Times notes, the Dems would have to win 28 of the Senate elections up for grabs this November. And this includes a lot of Democrat incumbents in red states, two of whom are only there because their 2012 opponents made politically fatal comments regarding sexual assault.

Joe Donnelly of Indiana was likely going to get blown out before Republican challenger Richard Mourdock said during a debate that pregnancy from rape could sometimes be “something that God intended to happen.”

TRENDING: Obama Portrait Artist’s Other Works Include Decapitated White People

Meanwhile, Missouri’s Claire McCaskill floated in when Republican challenger Todd Akin said that in cases of “legitimate rape,” the female body shuts down pregnancy.

Neither McCaskill nor Donnelly can count on opponents who will say anything that damaging this time, and both are going to have serious problems hanging on to their seats.

Aside from that, the Democrats will also have to defend seats in a number of states Donald Trump won in the presidential election. In addition to the aforementioned Donnelly and McCaskill, Bill Nelson of Florida, John Tester of Montana, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Bob Casey Jr. of Pennsylvania, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin will all be defending seats in Trump country.

Oh, and you also have Tina Smith, Al Franken’s replacement, running in a special election in Minnesota. Given that the handsy Franken’s departure from the Senate probably didn’t do the loyal opposition any favors up north, that could be a bigger problem than anticipated for the Democrats.

Do you think the GOP will keep control of Congress in 2018?
Dean Heller of Nevada is the only Republican defending his seat in a state where Clinton won. And, while retirements by Tennessee’s Bob Corker, Utah’s Orrin Hatch and Arizona’s Jeff Flake could make those races slightly interesting, all three of their states are fairly solidly red.

All in all, 34 seats are up for election, 26 held by Democrats and eight by Republicans. The Democrats have to win two GOP seats without losing any of theirs. That’s looking highly unlikely.

OK, so what about the House? After all, you only need one house of Congress to block a president’s agenda, and every seat in the lower chamber is up for election every two years.

Don’t get your hopes up, Mr./Ms. Resistance. Despite a number of high profile GOP retirements in the House as well, the prospects are yet again bleak.

RELATED: Out-of-Touch Newsweek Can’t Write about Real News, Runs Story on Trump’s Hair

As The Washington Post points out, even if the Democrats flipped every GOP-held district where Clinton won the popular vote while holding on to every Democrat-held district where Trump won the popular vote, the GOP would still hold the House. That means the Democrats would have to flip GOP districts that were close in the general election but still went for Trump.

The problem is, we’ve seen this movie before. If it were adapted from a Robert Ludlum novel, it would probably be called something like “The Ossoff Profligacy.”

Despite hyping up Jon Ossoff as the next Obama and then sending dump truck convoys filled with hundred-dollar bills straight to his campaign headquarters during the 2017 race for Tom Price’s vacated seat in Georgia, the DNC couldn’t win a special election in a GOP-controlled district that had only narrowly voted for Trump. This was in spite of the fact that Ossoff’s Republican opponent was woefully underfunded and received almost no media coverage.

Don’t believe me? Ten bucks says you can’t even name him in five seconds. Twenty bucks says you didn’t even realize it was actually a “her” when you read that last sentence. (Her name is Karen Handel, for the curious.)

Let’s consider the Ossoff election more closely, because I think it’s important to understand why this strategy will fail and fail badly. The Democrats couldn’t win a one-off election in the type of district they need to take this November if their strategy is to work, despite giving their candidate nearly unlimited resources and press coverage that most candidates could only dream of.

They now have to do this in a relatively high number of districts scattered across the country during a busy campaign season where Jon Ossoff types are going to be shoved to the back of the media queue, all without the benefit of focusing the entirety of Democrat resources on a morale-boosting exercise in the Georgia suburbs. They also have to win. Forget proving whether or not this could be a winning strategy in 2018 — how is this in any way a sustainable model for a national campaign?

Forget, too, the talk of retirements or Trump’s unpopularity (which seems to be less of a factor these days, anyhow). Taking back either house of Congress will require an outbreak of Todd Akin- or Roy Moore-like candidates on an unprecedented scale, all combined with a Democrat caucus that makes no mistakes. Oh, and the Democrats still have to get America to forget about the improving economy, the defeat of the Islamic State group and the fact that, yes, the GOP’s stand on immigration is actually really popular with voters, no matter what the media might tell you.

Good luck on that one, Mr./Ms. Resistance. Better luck in 2020, when hopefully you either have a chance, or a clue.     https://conservativetribune.com/math-democrats-midterms/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    6 years ago

We'll see won't we?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

Yes we will, just like we saw in 2012, 2014, and 2016--all election years in which Dems swore they would "take back Congress"!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    6 years ago

We'll see won't we?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.1    6 years ago

Heck, if 1/4 of Democratic predictions came true, there wouldn't even BE a Republican Party!

Lucky for us, y'all are lousy at it. You might as well call Ms. Cleo as make your own predictions.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    6 years ago

Isn't it funny how "Liberals" will take a few "Crumb" wins , and call it " A FUCKING MOMENTOUS MOMENT" , yet call "We The People" getting to keep our own money we made....or receiving a grand or so in bonuses..... just Fucking Crumbs. ..as if it's a BAD thing ! laughing dude

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
2.1.4  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.3    6 years ago

I pay attention although not fanatically and so far has there been a special election that has not been won by a democrat even in historically republican gerrymandered strongholds and trump stumps? If that is any indication and of course it is better that projections, actuality vs educated guesses I would estimate the republican party is pretty well fucked. OHHH talk about butt hurt!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @2.1.4    6 years ago

A Few State "Crumbs" doesn't mean a "National Event" occurred !

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
2.1.6  tomwcraig  replied to  Explorerdog @2.1.4    6 years ago

Actually, you aren't paying attention or have even read the article if you believe that Democrats have won every special election since Trump got into office.  Tom Price was a US Representative from Georgia before Trump appointed him Secretary of Health and Human Services.  The Democrats immediately sent tons of money and press coverage to the Democrat candidate running for his seat in that special election and the Republican that no one knew still won.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Ender  replied to  tomwcraig @2.1.6    6 years ago

In the last year, states have conducted 98 special elections for legislative seats, ranging from a U.S. Senate seat in Alabama to state House races in New Hampshire. Democrats have flipped 16 of those seats — including the race in Alabama, where Doug Jones became the first Democrat to win a Senate seat in a generation. Republicans have won only three formerly Democratic-held seats, in Louisiana, Mississippi and Massachusetts. 

Link

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.8  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @2.1.7    6 years ago

Still no grounds for a blue wave in November as some hope for.  

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.8    6 years ago

Depends on where one is. Of course Louisiana and Mississippi will vote red. Two of the poorest states in the nation know no better. It is other states that should worry people.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @2.1.9    6 years ago

My California congressional district, state assembly and state senate seats will all stay red.  My local area went 63%-29% for Trump over Clinton with the rest going 3rd Party.  

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
2.1.11  tomwcraig  replied to  Ender @2.1.7    6 years ago

How does that negate my statement that the Democrats have not won every single one of the special elections since Trump took office?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Ender  replied to  tomwcraig @2.1.11    6 years ago

Who said it did? I was posting facts.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.13  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    6 years ago

All years they also controlled the presidency, and all years that matched the historical norm (the party that controls the presidency loses the midterms). 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.13    6 years ago

usually, wildly popular presidents are able to translate their personal success down-ballot.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.14    6 years ago

And since tax reform, the Davos speech, and the state of the Union, Trumps popularity is trending upward.  Democrats hopes for a giant blue wave seem to be receding.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  gooseisgone @2.1.16    6 years ago

They are going to focus on California so that they can get even with members who voted to increase taxes on the rich.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    6 years ago

Granted this is on a state level but the dems just won a special election in Florida, a seat held by a republican

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  lady in black @3    6 years ago

Unfortunately they have pockets of liberal cesspools there. I try to avoid the entire eastern half of the state. The Miami area is particularly ghetto. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    6 years ago

thumbs down

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  lady in black  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    6 years ago

Excuses, excuses....

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
3.1.4  Explorerdog  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    6 years ago

Stick to the middle, that is where the racist, ignorant, superstitious have maintained their entrenched population, even they openly admit it.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  lady in black  replied to    6 years ago

And I'm sick of all of Trump's excuses, he NEVER takes responsibility for anything in his administration and even praised a wife beater.  Any news critical of him and his administration is dubbed "fake news"....he is a spoiled man-child that can't handle someone telling him like it is or someone telling him NO.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
3.1.7  Explorerdog  replied to    6 years ago

And republicans get pounded and claim conspiracy and fake news, is that your high ground? Looks like the deep swamp to me.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.9  Raven Wing  replied to    6 years ago

Wow...just WOW!.....your over abundance of hate as expressed here is so palpable it is truly nauseating. I don't give a ratz azz which side of the political spectrum you sit on, this kind of spewed hate is totally over the line. Just totally......disgusting.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.10  A. Macarthur  replied to    6 years ago

And then, there are the confessions and those talking to Mueller … 

Today …

Ryan: White House should 'absolutely'

condemn

domestic violence

Often, politicians do the right things for the wrong reasons; as Trump becomes more of a political liability, as more Republican seats are flipped by Democrats, Republican-Trump apologists will have their "come-to-Jesus" moments and "grow-a-pair" … the Jess Willard appeal will not likely hold save for the hard-core-haters.
Keep whistlin' boys …  Pussy grabbin' and woman beating are losing their right-wing luster.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.13  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.12    6 years ago

Indeed.  Amen to that.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @3    6 years ago

Democrats won over red seats in the Missouri state legislature, too

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    6 years ago

I know but we'll hear more excuses from the right.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @3.2.1    6 years ago

Both Dems and the GOP hold seats in every state.

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up over one seat in a state legislature.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.3    6 years ago

See more excuses.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @3.2.4    6 years ago

What reason do you have to believe my statement is an excuse rather than a simple, unarguable FACT?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.2.6  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.5    6 years ago

Repubs celebrate when they win, yet downplay when Dems win.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @3.2.6    6 years ago

So my statement is true, and something you can't deny, but you feel inclined to argue anyways???

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to    6 years ago

I’m not sure if you are new or just changed identity but please play nicer here.  It’s one thing to think certain thoughts and have certain feelings toward the National or even your state Democrat Party, but that shouldn’t lead to dealing with them harshly on an individual level here.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.3  MrFrost  replied to  lady in black @3    6 years ago

I went to Florida once, I couldn't get back to the USA fast enough. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    6 years ago

'Russia, vote fraud, faithless electors, Russians, Putin, Russia, Russians. Lol'  crazy

Tired of the truth?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
4.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Tessylo @4    6 years ago

It is the same attempt as trump uses claiming that everything critical of him is fake news, if you keep denying and discrediting the simple minded will believe and support the worst among us.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4    6 years ago

Faithless electors? 

You mean the record number who couldn't stomach voting for your beloved Abuela?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    6 years ago
'Faithless electors?'

Trump won and liberals lost their shit said that - not me

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.1    6 years ago

You said it was the truth. I merely pointed out what the REAL truth about "faithless electors" is.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Republicans are actually up one on the generic Congressional ballot according to Politico. They were down double digits in some of these polls before tax reform passed. 

Smart strategy on the Democrats part to oppose a tax cut for the working class. 

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    6 years ago

Is that the same tax scam that generated $1.50 per week for a teacher and $19,000/yr for congressman Ryan, coupled with massive spending resulting in a trillion dollar debt. Fiscal responsibility my ass!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1    6 years ago

The very same tax break where I get about $90 more every two weeks of the money I earned.

gee, that is horrible, and Democrats better sell, sell, sell when they try to convince working Americans that letting them keep a penny more of what they earn is just simply bad for them.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.1.2  Explorerdog  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.1    6 years ago

Glad you got $45 a week to buy a new Japanese car with, then again it has added fuel to the deficit fire that is on an uphill burn. Deficits don't matter according to the gop unless a democrat is in charge then they are the pox. Amazing how the common good an success of the country matters not when a little personal greed becomes part of the equation. Infrastructure, does it need work and expenditure? Of course it does and always will, does it need to funded in a lump sum to connected players, no.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.1    6 years ago
'The very same tax break where I get about $90 more every two weeks of the money I earned.'

Well me too but it won't last past this year.  I'm going to put money away every paycheck so if I have to pay state taxes next year instead of getting a refund, I won't come up short.

Thanks Donald Rump for nothing!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1.2    6 years ago

And get ready working Americans...that infrastructure bill is coming at your expense. Be prepared for national parks to be sold off and toll roads on interstates

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.1.5  Explorerdog  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.4    6 years ago

I can already see from my house the Bryce Canyon trump golf course and the Yellowstone $200,000 membership exclusive trump hotel and retreat with Old Faithful in the front entrance

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1.5    6 years ago

Oh, I think the trump hotel and resort will go grander with Old Faithful inside the atrium. He'll just build his biggest, yugest hotel ever around that geyser.

Of course...when Yellowstone goes pyroclastic 6 months later, he'll whine about that and expect the US Treasury to bail him out

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1.2    6 years ago

Both parties are hypocritical when they are not in power, because then deficits matter to them. When in power, not so much. Both parties do it, and surely you can see that., but they complain now.

I am all for anything allowing me to keep more of what I learn as long as government continues to fund silly things and waste money.

For the record, I don't recall any Democrats complaining when they ran the highest deficits in history.

Still going to be a tough sell to working Americans that allowing them to keep ANY more of their hard-earned money is a bad thing. But you go right ahead and explain how the Trump tax cuts is secretly hurting them while they have more money to spend, which helps our economy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.3    6 years ago

The tax rates will be the same next year. Where did you get the idea they expire after one year????

If you choose to live in a state with high taxes, then don't complain. You helped elect those people raising your taxes.

Want lower taxes---elect someone who will give them to you. But like some Democrats, you'll probably bitch and moan because you consider it ""crumbs" while someone struggling will be happy they can afford medicine AND gas and groceries because of the tax break they got.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.1.9  Explorerdog  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.7    6 years ago

Everyone would like to see better accountability and lower taxes, but not at the economic health of the country, I also see where the budget actually has been balanced under democrats and run away deficits from republicans without even pretending concern. I have zero need to fund what I would consider wasteful projects and am all too aware that some things I consider useful others would disagree and vice versa. There are however many points that I am sure we would agree we could easily live without which is why congress is mortified at the idea of the line item veto.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.3    6 years ago
so if I have to pay state taxes

Sounds like you have a problem with YOUR State.....not Trump....or Rump, if that's all it takes to makes you giggle. chuckle

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1.9    6 years ago

The last time we had a balanced budget, we had a GOP Congress.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1.9    6 years ago
Everyone would like to see better accountability

"Accountability" means getting rid of prescribed "Feel Good" Perks.

Are you ready to support "Getting Rid" of ALL those "Feel Good" government prescribed perks yet ?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.1.13  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.12    6 years ago

If the perks means tightening the belt on who qualifies for food stamps and at what level or vetting disability claims to those that are actually impacted to work at a normal job then yes, I would cut the perks, but not eliminate them from those that truly need them. I would also seriously modify the health plan that politicians enjoy as well as the retirement plan they get for a single term. There are many directions we can improve on those perks and make our system work better, it does not have to be an all or nothing. One per cent of the population getting bonuses because 99% got almost nothing is a scam and does little but rob the country. The VA needs to be responsive to those veterans that need their services and do much better than they have, but they too have become a go to for a handout given the explosion of PTSD claims from claimants that never saw action outside of a movie. Husbanding those resources leaves more for the verified wounded that are in need. Some of our very own keyboard commandos are working to get a VA handout and that is wrong.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1.13    6 years ago
If the perks means tightening the belt on who qualifies

You actually know exactly what "Perk" means. 

"but not eliminate them from those that truly need them."

I go for a "hands up"....but draw the line when it becomes a "handout" !

That being said....who Truly NEEDS because "They Can't" anyway.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.1.15  Skrekk  replied to  Explorerdog @5.1.5    6 years ago
I can already see from my house the Bryce Canyon trump golf course and the Yellowstone $200,000 membership exclusive trump hotel and retreat with Old Faithful in the front entrance

Why should commoners ever be allowed into such places?   Let them eat cake and visit a Disney theme park instead.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    6 years ago

That same tax cut that lets me have 35 more every 2 weeks? That doesn't even buy a carton of smokes....

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    6 years ago

My "tax break" didn't amount to shit either.  

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.2  Explorerdog  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    6 years ago

OK so there is something good in the debacle, skip the smokes and go out for a cheap dinner.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.2    6 years ago

Oh sure...you want me to die from diabetes instead of dying from lung cancer....

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.4  Explorerdog  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.3    6 years ago

Now now! If managed well no one dies of diabetes, the smokes are a crap shoot an honestly we would really rather keep you around a whole lot longer!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    6 years ago

All liberals who are disgusted by an extra $20 a week or whatever please feel to forward it to my paypal account. 

This is what Americans say about what they do with an extra $20 a week:

$20 a week is 10 gallons of heating oil when the temperatures in winter hover in the negative numbers for months.

$20 a week is the gas it costs me to travel back and forth from seminary each week, as there are none in my local area. While there (in Memphis) I also lead a community chess program for 4th and 5th grade students in an under-privileged community. I am a retired USAF veteran on a minimal enlisted retirement wage, struggling to get by while I finish my education. 

Currently I am working two jobs in addition to being a full time student. I work as a server at the Cheesecake Factory and as a peer mentor for the federal program known as TRiO Student Support Services. Twenty dollars means quite a few different things for me; food, rent, various bills, and my ability to be able to support non-profit organizations that rely on donations. . There is no way that I could have made these donations without an extra twenty a week.

Twenty dollars extra a week is a tank of gas, a nicer Sunday family meal instead of hot dogs, the ability to leave lights on instead of turning them off earlier in the evening. It's  being able to go to the movies, or having a night out at an inexpensive restaurant, it's also paying co-pays for my meds that I need to live on.  Twenty dollars is money for our heating oil, money put away in savings for a birthday present for a family member.  Forty dollars buys lunch food to bring from home, forty dollars pays the cable bill, and the difference between healthy food and unhealthy food on our shopping list.  Twenty dollars is vacation savings, part of a car payment, a mortgage payment, or a phone bill.  Need I go on with more examples of how $20 is used and needed?

But go ahead Democrats, sneer at the people this money helps. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.4    6 years ago

Well, I appreciate that, but I'm doing my level best to be a great American and just keel over before I actually need my medicare and social security. Isn't that what we peon Americans are supposed to do?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.5    6 years ago

I'm not sneering at them, as a matter of fact, I feel bad for them that they can't see what a pittance they're getting.

And you're not taking my 35 dollars extra every 2 weeks (that's not even 20 dollars per week like your anecdotes). Like I said, that will pay for 1/2 a carton of smokes. Then I'll do you and trump and his rich, fat buddies and die a little sooner so you don't have to pay my medicare or social security.

Oh...wait....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.8  It Is ME  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    6 years ago
That same tax cut that lets me have 35 more every 2 weeks? That doesn't even buy a carton of smokes....

Aaaaaaa....the life of the "Rich and Famous".

Heartbreaking !

Maybe try a different brand ?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.9  Explorerdog  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.6    6 years ago

NO! I manage my diabetes (genetic nothing I can do to change that) quit smoking thirty years ago and hope to live long enough that my investments don't outlast me as I sail everywhere I wish too. That is what we Americans can hope to do except go golfing if you are just boring!

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.10  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.5    6 years ago

The real deal is that in exchange for our 10 or 20 bucks per per paycheck over the next ten years we, The American People, will collectively be at least ten trillion dollars deeper debt than we would have been otherwise and that is including the pie in the sky growth projections the gop used to con People into believing their financial incompetence, again. Of course, Trump and his Russian oligarch friends will reap gazillions off the top before their whole house of cards comes tumbling down. All the while, the gop will be claiming that our government's income is too low to help People. Bill Clinton said it best, "Economics Is Just Math"...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.9    6 years ago

I want you to sail around the world! Live your life to the fullest, I don't want to take that away from anyone that has a plan, a dream, a whatever.

Go! Live! Tell them Trout Giggles sends her love!

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.12  Explorerdog  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.11    6 years ago

I have to be a optimist perhaps even to a fault which is why I wholeheartedly support this country warts and all. If I were a self serving pessimist I guess I would be a republican and do much better at pointing fingers!

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.13  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @5.2.8    6 years ago

Maybe if the tax rate placed on a product in a very special way like liquor, cigarettes  and now the demon weed, was actually in line with a normal sales tax, but then those are SINFUL now are they not and deserving of a special consideration foisted by the conservatives.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.13    6 years ago

I would pay more in taxes for my habits if it's going to help the family down the street to eat

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.15  Explorerdog  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.5    6 years ago

You get one hell of a lot of mileage out of twenty dollars! Maybe your leader could make you secretary of the treasury and we could all be rich!

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.16  Explorerdog  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.14    6 years ago

When I smoked I thought the high tax rate on the cigs should have been applied to a form of health care for smokers, you pay the taxes and get a benefit.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.16    6 years ago

I've always felt that you choose your "sins", even tho we know that the tobacco industry purposely made cigs to get us hooked. Still...nobody held a gun to my head and told me to smoke that pack of cigarettes

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.15    6 years ago

You get one hell of a lot of mileage out of twenty dollars! Maybe your leader could make you secretary of the treasury and we could all be ric

Those are stories that Barack Obama was highlighting and democrats were publicizing in support of his 2% reduction in payroll tax, which amounted to about $20 a week for a median earner.

It's really funny watching the  Democrats who were so proud of the Obama payroll cut, scoff and predict doom and gloom over the same amount of money when it's attached to Trump's name.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/40dollars  (obama used $40 a paycheck, using biweekly payhecks)

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.19  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.18    6 years ago

Has it ever occurred to the gop that the working poor can be given small breaks without giving the 1% windfalls?

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
5.2.20  tomwcraig  replied to  JBB @5.2.19    6 years ago

And, if you truly were interested in going after the rich, you would actually support Sales Taxes instead of income taxes.  Most of the rich already MADE their money and an income tax does nothing to tax them.

user image
Freshman Silent
5.2.21    replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.7    6 years ago

Democrats don't like tax breaks they rather take the money away from the middle class and play Santa Clause with it giving it those that don't work.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.22  Skrekk  replied to  JBB @5.2.10    6 years ago
The real deal is that in exchange for our 10 or 20 bucks per per paycheck over the next ten years we, The American People, will collectively be at least ten trillion dollars deeper debt than we would have been otherwise

Someone has to pay for more missiles and tax cuts for the rich.   Let that be the poor and our children and our children's children.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.2.23  lib50  replied to  tomwcraig @5.2.20    6 years ago
Most of the rich already MADE their money and an income tax does nothing to tax them.

Then why did the republicans make that extra cut to the top if they aren't impacted?  Seems a little unnecessary under your scenario, so why bother?

Trump was GIVEN his seed money, as most silver spoon babies are.  Now they get even more!  And OUR CUTS ARE PHASING OUT!  No shining this turd.

user image
Freshman Silent
5.2.24    replied to  Skrekk @5.2.22    6 years ago

It's been shown time after time when taxes are cut, Federal revenue has a very strong tendency to rise! And when taxes are raised, government revenue has a strong tendency to fall.

JFK, Reagan, and George W. Bush understood, reducing taxes has a stimulative effect on economic activity which leads to an increase in government reciepts. Ever since 1913 when the modern income tax was first inacted tax cuts have increased Federal revenue. You can't argue with history!

Over 80% of working Americans will pay a lower tax rate with the Trump Tax cuts. The democrats use the same old line every time saying tax cuts only benefit the rich and will decrease Federal revenue is a proven lie.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.25  Skrekk  replied to  @5.2.24    6 years ago
It's been shown time after time when taxes are cut, Federal revenue has a very strong tendency to rise!

LOL.

Edward Kleinbard, a professor of law and business at the University of Southern California, said smart corporate tax reform could stimulate the economy somewhat -- but at a net loss.

" A really well-designed corporate tax reform package, including a rate cut, would be accretive to growth," he said, "but not enough to pay for any resulting large-scale deficits."

So tax cuts can create some growth, according to the experts. But are there any historical cases of tax cuts producing so much growth they fully pay for themselves?

"I am not aware of any credible evidence (in the U.S.) over the last several decades of a broad-based tax cut paying for itself," said Alan Auerbach, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley. "I don't think this is at all controversial among actual economists."

Kleinbard was similarly emphatic: "There is no time in modern history where tax cuts could be said to pay for themselves."

According to Kleinbard, the 1981 tax cuts triggered massive federal deficits and were largely reversed within three years. The Tax Reform Act of 1986 was basically revenue neutral, he said, meaning tax cuts were virtually offset by spending cuts. He added that President Bill Clinton’s tax hike was followed by robust growth, while the George W. Bush tax cuts led to anemic growth.

None of the experts interviewed cited evidence that tax cuts under President Barack Obama produced sufficient growth to pay for themselves either.

On the contrary, there’s some evidence that tax cuts can be a drag on the economy -- like the 2005 CBO study mentioned earlier.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.26  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.22    6 years ago

The rich are paying more now.  They had the interest deduction on their mortgages cut to no more than a 750k mortgage and are limited to 10k in deductions for state and local taxes.  That also only affects the rich.  Yet it’s the democrats who scream and yell while bitterly complaining about that tax increase on the truly wealthy. 

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.27  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.26    6 years ago

The gop's tax plan cut the top marginal tax rate. That was unnecessary, will be unproductive and will only exacerbate the already vast outrageous disparity between the very rich and everyone else in the US of A...

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.28  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.26    6 years ago

Since the GOP wants to return to the halcyon era of the 1950s when straight white Christian men were dominant and woman, gays and blacks knew their place, shouldn't we restore the 1950s tax rates too?    The economy did quite well.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.29  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.28    6 years ago

Were Kennedy's tax cuts the reason why we had to have LBJ's "War on Poverty" just a couple of years later after you claim the economy was booming?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.30  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.26    6 years ago

I just read where Trump is determined to add a 25 cent gas tax to the price of gas. Who do you think it will affect the most in a very detrimental way?  The working class and poor Americans. And who do you think will benefit most from the price increase? All Trumps Good 'ol Boy oil industry donors? Most likely.

I have to wonder what lie they will come up with this time to justify for such an increase.   

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.31  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.5    6 years ago
$20 a week is 10 gallons of heating oil when the temperatures in winter hover in the negative numbers for months.

Probably closer to 5 gallons, if that. Have you seen the prices lately? On the rise. That big $20.00 raise you got? Will be eaten by prices at the pump, which goes to big oil companies like Exxon......and who used to run Exxon-Mobil? Rex Tillerson... Weird how that works. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.32  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @5.2.27    6 years ago

From 39.6 to 37%.  For many of them the limiting of deductions for mortgage insurance and for state and local taxes will more than offset that rate cut which was across the board.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.33  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.29    6 years ago
Were Kennedy's tax cuts the reason why we had to have LBJ's "War on Poverty" just a couple of years later after you claim the economy was booming?

The poor and the elderly exist even in booming economies, but it's nice to hear that both you and Trump think tax cuts would benefit those who don't make much money.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.34  Trout Giggles  replied to  @5.2.21    6 years ago

That's quite a broad brush you've got there. I bet you can paint the entire White House in one stroke

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.35  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.13    6 years ago
deserving of a special consideration foisted by the conservatives.

Ever bought cigarettes in New York ?

Those taxes aren't because of a conservative idea.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
5.2.36  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @5.2.35    6 years ago

Are you aware that there are more states than just New York and they ALL have ridiculous taxes on Cigarettes and liquor, the sinful vices.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.37  Trout Giggles  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.36    6 years ago

Arkansas raised their taxes significantly while Mike Huckabee was governor.

Talk about a nanny-stater.....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.38  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @5.2.36    6 years ago
ridiculous taxes

"Blue" comes to mind.

Been to all 50 .....not 54.....of our States ! winking

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.39  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @5.2.38    6 years ago

And Obama thought we had 57 states.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.40  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.39    6 years ago

You think that Jeffersonia is a state XX, so who is less informed, you or Obama. LOL

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.41  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @5.2.40    6 years ago

Ain't that the truth! It doesn't get much more delusional than that. LOL!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.42  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @5.2.41    6 years ago

We are still working to end the repressive occupation by the evil Californication and become the state of Jefferson. We will continue the effort to divide california and break it up as long as we shall live.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.43  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.42    6 years ago

Or you could just flee to Russia like your Calexit buddy did.

SACRAMENTO — A campaign to make California its own nation folded abruptly Monday — after one of its leaders announced that he plans to make Russia, not the Golden State, his home.

I suspect you have a lot in common with that guy since he also used to work for the NOM anti-gay hate group.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.44  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.42    6 years ago

Well....have fun in your fantasy. I have lived in California for most of my adult life, which has been a long one, and I can assure you that the day will never come when your fantasy will come true. Enjoy the ride. laughing dude

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.45  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @5.2.44    6 years ago

As have I.  And California will forever more be a divided and disunited state until it is divided.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.46  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.43    6 years ago

The former head of Cal exit was trying to separate from the USA and he’s a progressive.  Jefferson is trying to be the 51st state in the USA.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.47  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.39    6 years ago

You have your covfefe and we have our 57 states. I call a truce

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.48  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.46    6 years ago
The former head of Cal exit was trying to separate from the USA and he’s a progressive.

No, actually he's a far right wing Catholic who worked for the NOM anti-gay hate group.    You have the same ideology he has.

FYI, progressives don't flee to Putin's Russia.    Only Republicans admire right wing dictatorships like that.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.49  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.48    6 years ago

I’m neither an anti Trump progressive or a Catholic.  Cal Exit And the Jefferson movements are political polar opposites.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.50  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.49    6 years ago
I’m neither an anti Trump progressive or a Catholic.

Actually I observed that you were anti-gay just like Louis Marinelli, the Calexit guy.    I'm not sure why you'd try to deflect or evade that observation given your comment history.    You also seem to share his love for authoritarian governments.

Cal Exit And the Jefferson movements are political polar opposites.

I don't know if they're "polar opposites" but I would agree that the state of Jefferson movement is far more closely related to the white supremacist Cascadia movement from which it actually derives.    And I'm sure the Calexit dude will be happy in very white and very homophobic Russia.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.51  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.50    6 years ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_J._Marinelli   A progressive and not anti gay as alleged.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.52  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.51    6 years ago
A progressive and not anti gay as alleged.

LOL.   Progressives don't work for anti-gay hate groups, and he only left the NOM hate group when they started having problems fundraising and couldn't pay his salary.   I seriously doubt he had a change of heart especially given that he moved to one of the most homophobic countries on the planet.    This is from your citation:

Prior to his ideologically-progressive California secession and independence activism, Marinelli was a controversial figure in the debate over  same-sex marriage in the United States  until his  public resignation  from the  National Organization for Marriage  in April, 2011 out of his new-found support for marriage equality rights.

It's the same reason no one would ever call you a progressive, because you're an opponent of equal rights for all and you have expressed anti-LGBT views just like Marinelli has.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.53  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.52    6 years ago

He is a progressive and he changed his position on gay marriage before Obama did.  Seven years ago.  I’m not anti gay either.  Never have been.  I just opposed gay marriage.  I supported insurance reforms for them as well as civil unions and even adopting children as long as no charity was coerced into having to provide the service.  I still oppose individuals who have religious beliefs being coerced into providing a service that violates their free excercise rights.  The California judge got that exactly right.  You can’t disown or deny the current progressive status of the founder of Cal Exit.  

lib50
Professor Silent
5.2.54  lib50  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.45    6 years ago
And California will forever more be a divided and disunited state until it is divided.

Not a chance in hell.   Just move to Kansas.  Republican policies on steroids.   California will never sacrifice it's place in the world's economy because a few crazy old white people can't live with others.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.55  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lib50 @5.2.54    6 years ago

No way. I intend to remain as the enemy within Californication until we win statehood for Jefferson or New California.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.56  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.53    6 years ago
He is a progressive and he changed his position on gay marriage before Obama did.  Seven years ago.

Obama first supported marriage equality in 1995-6, twice on the record, and he never did anything to oppose it.

Your bigoted buddy worked for the NOM anti-gay hate group for years in his efforts to prevent gays from marrying, having civil unions, adopting, or even being protected by non-discrimination laws......no progressive would ever do that or move to the most homophobic country on the planet, much less one run by a right-wing dictator.     Obviously you don't understand what the word "progressive" means, Removed, CoC (BT)

I’m not anti gay either.  Never have been.  I just opposed gay marriage.  I supported insurance reforms for them as well as civil unions and even adopting children as long as no charity was coerced into having to provide the service.  I still oppose individuals who have religious beliefs being coerced into providing a service that violates their free excercise rights.  The California judge got that exactly right. 

LOL.   

Removed, Skirting (BT)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.57  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.56    6 years ago

I’m not a racist.  I never opposed mixed race marriages. My family has them and my girlfriend isn’t white.  I don’t oppose mixed race adoptions either.  I’m an adoptive parent and would never pass up the opportunity to adopt a child of any race.  Catholic social services aren’t public agencies and in DC and Massachusetts they have closed down all such services as a result of laws coercing them in that regard had they stayed open there.  I don’t advocate refusing anyone service in a business due to race, gender, religion, etc.  it’s only as the Ca. Judge stated, when a person is compelled to do a special order for another that is in violation of their religious beliefs that one may avoid having to provide service to a costumer.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.59  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.57    6 years ago
I’m not a racist.  I never opposed mixed race marriages.

I never said you were, I merely indicated that your anti-gay views are no different at all from the racists who opposed mixed-race marriage.    In fact SCOTUS cited the bans on mixed-race marriage as precedent when they struck down the anti-gay laws your ilk passed.

I’m an adoptive parent and would never pass up the opportunity to adopt a child of any race.  

And yet your views against adoption by same-sex couples are just as vile as the views held by the racist cults which prohibited mixed-race adoption.

Catholic social services aren’t public agencies and in DC and Massachusetts they have closed down all such services as a result of laws coercing them in that regard had they stayed open there.

Sorry but public funding comes with strings like compliance with all non-discrimination laws.    That's what Catholic Social Services refused to do.

The most revealing aspect is that they were free to remain open and be as bigoted as they like without the benefit of public funding, but what they really wanted was the money.

I don’t advocate refusing anyone service in a business due to race, gender, religion, etc.  it’s only as the Ca. Judge stated, when a person is compelled to do a special order for another that is in violation of their religious beliefs that one may avoid having to provide service to a costumer.  

But you'd support a racist baker refusing service to a black or mixed-race couple, and then citing his racist religious views as an excuse?    Or is it just anti-gay bakers who you think should be free to violate the law?    FYI, that odious logic was struck down by SCOTUS a very long time ago, first in 1878, then in 1968.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.60  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.2.58    6 years ago

We should all become Republicans!  

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.61  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.60    6 years ago
We should all become Republicans!

I hear the only place in God's creation where everyone is republican is hell. That's alls down there.

If Andy Breitbart tries to sip a cool drink of water in hell Ronald Reagan slams the lid on his head...

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
5.3.1  tomwcraig  replied to  A. Macarthur @5.3    6 years ago

Wow.  Panic over one company trying to streamline its management.  You do realize that the cellphones are usually in the Electronics department, so in reality they don't need a cellphone manager.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5.3.3  A. Macarthur  replied to  tomwcraig @5.3.1    6 years ago

The spin regarding the benefits to workers was about JOBS AND HIGHER WAGES!

The REALISTS who warned of the "tax reform" scam knew that corporations would more likely automate, buy back their own stock and give a one-time small raise to remaining employees; it's a con job ploy to pay back big donors to Republicans. Small tax cuts for the middle class in 2018 will be PAID BACK FOR YEARS BY THOSE MIDDLE CLASS WORKERS … who do you think will be paying for the massive deficit this Ponzi scheme will create -- it won't be the wealthy recipients of the cuts.

Gary Cohn asked corporate executives if they planned to reinvest …

YOU TRUMP SYCOPHANTS NEED TO STOP "LEARNING" FROM FOX.

Watch the video and wake up, Tom!

Ender
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Ender  replied to  A. Macarthur @5.3.3    6 years ago

While they are cheering for a one time bonus what they are missing is that companies are not losing out. Wages are still stagnant.

Like many companies, Schulte had a good 2017. But despite low local unemployment and the promise of a windfall from the tax law, it doesn't plan to give bigger raises than the standard 3%, Harvey said. Instead, employees will get bonuses for their hard work in 2017.

For one thing, the tax overhaul passed Congress too late to affect 2018 compensation budgets. "Companies, at least the ones I've talked to, are still in the process of analyzing the rules and the implications," said John Bremen, a managing director of human capital at Willis Towers Watson.

But the legislation might not have made a difference anyway. Employers have become attached to that 3% raise they've given for the last few years, Bremen said. He doesn't see that changing, not even with the new law.

A tight labor market no longer forces employers to pay workers more, thanks to a combination of factors including the globalization of the labor force, job automation, the decline of unions and the rise of contract work.

Companies, for their part, say salary bumps are too permanent—too expensive. If times get tough, pay cuts hurt morale and productivity and risk attrition. "When you give a raise, it's stuck in the pay system," said Harvey. "It is something you're guaranteeing; it's becoming a fixed cost."

In recent years, such companies as General Electric Co. have considered chucking the annual pay raise altogether for something "more flexible," the company told Bloomberg last year. That flexibility often comes in the form of variable pay. Employers can opt for bonuses on a year-by-year basis, and if they have a bad year, they can just forgo it, rather than cut salaries or let workers go.
 Also only a small percentage of people actually got any bonus.
Only 13% of companies' tax cut savings will go to pay raises, bonuses and employee benefits, according to a survey of Morgan Stanley analysts released Thursday. 43% will go to investors in the form of stock buybacks and dividends, the analysts predict.

Critics of the Republican tax cut have argued that investors will reap the benefits, and companies will hardly reward their employees -- if at all.

Many businesses have announced splashy tax cut gifts for their workers, including raises, better benefits and big one-time bonus checks. As of Monday, more than 300 companies have announced tax-cut-related bonuses and raises, benefiting 3.5 million U.S. workers, according to the   White House .

Yet that's a small fraction of the 125.5 million Americans who work for a company.

Most economists assumed -- and historical precedent suggests -- that workers won't gain a huge part of the tax cuts in the early years. That will go to shareholders, then maybe the businesses themselves, as Morgan Stanley's analysts predicted.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.3.5    6 years ago

Yes, it is.  As an employee and a shareholder, I’ll benefit twice!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

I happen to agree with that article. The democrats only hope would be to take the House and they need to win all those blue collar districts which will benefit from Trump economic policy. Too bad moderate democrats were always forced to vote no. On the Senate side I expect the GOP to end up with a super majority like the democrats had in 2009. Progressives must really fear that.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
6.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    6 years ago

A roller coaster stock market, run away deficits, increasing interest rates to counter inflation and uncertainty throughout the world trade is ever so much to be joyous about. The super majority is more likely to be the indictments not a result of elections. Muellers silence should have the administration even more nervous than their actions are indicating and that is substantial. Even a rudimentary knowledge of human behavior indicates trump and clan seriously want a way to stop the train............choo choo! 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JBB  replied to  Explorerdog @6.1    6 years ago
trump and clan seriously want a way to stop the train............choo choo!

And Trump is singing, "I hear that train a comin. Its comin, don't know when. Muellers gonna get me before this ends. I'm stuck here in the White House with just the walls to climb. Blame it on Vlad Putin. I'll be doin hard time"...

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.2    replied to  Explorerdog @6.1    6 years ago

Remember the Federal Reserve sets interest rates they were in cahoots with the Obama administration never raising them once in the eight years Obama was President to keep a stagnant economy afloat.  Now that Trump is President the Federal Reserve will raise them every four months to stymie the economy so democrats can say Trump's policies are sinking the economy. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Ender  replied to  @6.1.2    6 years ago

You do know that trump nominated a new head of the federal reserve and he was confirmed. It is trumps pick that is now in charge.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Ender  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @6.1.4    6 years ago

What does that even mean? Is this some grand new conspiracy? Do you think trump would nominate a guy that would deliberately hurt the economy just to hurt trump?

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Ender  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @6.1.6    6 years ago

I will take that as a yes.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
6.1.8  Explorerdog  replied to  @6.1.2    6 years ago

Conspiracy alert........conspiracy alert next on faux demon democrats attack righteous republicans

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @6.1.9    6 years ago

🎯👍👏🇺🇸

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @6.1.11    6 years ago

Exactly now that we know he was involved with the IRS Tea Party scandal trying to target groups she targeted, he should worry.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    6 years ago

Today, Republicans extol the virtues of lowering marginal tax rates, citing as their model the Tax Reform Act of 1986, which lowered the top individual income tax rate to just 28 percent from 50 percent, and the corporate tax rate to 34 percent from 46 percent. What follows, they say, would be an economic boon. Indeed, textbook tax theory says that lowering marginal tax rates while holding revenue constant unambiguously raises growth.

But there is no evidence showing a boost in growth from the 1986 act. The economy remained on the same track, with huge stock market crashes — 1987’s “ Black Monday ,” 1989’s Friday the 13 th  “ mini-crash ” and a recession beginning in 1990.   Real wages fell .

Strenuous efforts by economists to find any growth effect from the 1986 act have failed to find much. The most   thorough analysis , by economists Alan Auerbach and Joel Slemrod, found only a shifting of income due to tax reform, no growth effects: “The aggregate values of labor supply and saving apparently responded very little,” they concluded.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    6 years ago

The Democrats will win in November because Donald Trump is psychologically disturbed and everyone knows it. 

If he could be locked in a closet between now and the election (without his cell phone) it might be different, but that is not possible and he will "be himself" between now and the election and ruin his partys chances. Women and minorities will turn out like never before and sweep Trump and his endless embarrassments under the rug, 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @7    6 years ago

Just like when he ruined the GOP's chances in 2016?

remember--the election he couldn't win, and your beloved Abuela was going to sweep to a HUGE win, and Democrats would ride her coattails and win back the House and Senate, too?

I like when Democrats who still can't believe Trump beat their favored princess make yet more predictions.

Y'all suck at it.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
7.1.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    6 years ago

You do mean before he had the chance to do the damage he has done, correct? While polls have been wrong before and I expect will be so at some point again, all but  the base have become aware what a true disaster looks like and his base will never admit even they are screwed. They just keep hoping a miracle occurs.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    6 years ago
remember--the election he couldn't win, and your beloved Abuela was going to sweep to a HUGE win, and Democrats would ride her coattails and win back the House and Senate, too?

Unfortunately no one foresaw him teaming up with Russia to take down our Democratic election. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.2    6 years ago
Unfortunately no one foresaw him teaming up with Russia to take down our Democratic election.

there is zero truth to the claim trump teamed up with russia.

and so far there is zero evidence provided that they even hacked the dnc - the download speed is not consistent with a internet hack but more inline with a local download to a thumb drive

the fun news is we might actually find out if russia did indeed hack the dnc or not.

I seriously hope the judge orders the dnc to put up... or shut up and get ready to pay

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.1.4  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.2    6 years ago

I am still waiting for someone to tell me exactly what they did!

Oh wait I know they exposed the truth abiut the lying abd cheating and trustworthiness of the democrat party and hillary clinton .The dems just couldnt handle the hobest truth being told aboyt them . 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.3    6 years ago
there is zero truth to the claim trump teamed up with russia.

I'm sure Mueller will be glad to hear that from you, apparently you know more about it than he does.

and so far there is zero evidence provided that they even hacked the dnc

How Russians hacked the Democrats’ emails

A Russian Hacker Confessed to Hacking the DNC During the Election Campaign

Yes, 17 intelligence agencies really did say Russia was behind hacking

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @7.1.4    6 years ago
Oh wait I know they exposed the truth abiut the lying abd cheating and trustworthiness of the democrat party and hillary clinton .The dems just couldnt handle the hobest truth being told aboyt them .

So you just admitted that they hacked the DNC.  You really need to make up your mind...crazy

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.6    6 years ago

Can you provide ANY proof that the Russians hacked the DNC? The FBI couldn't.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
7.1.9  tomwcraig  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.6    6 years ago

Actually, WikiLeaks repeatedly stated that their information was obtained through a DNC insider not from hacks.  And, they were the first to point towards the corruption within the DNC.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.1.10  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.6    6 years ago

The DNC is not the government and getting into their servers had no effect on the election results. 

Are you admitting that hillary and the DNC kied and cheated in 2016?

lib50
Professor Silent
7.1.11  lib50  replied to  arkpdx @7.1.10    6 years ago
getting into their servers had no effect on the election results.

Do you follow this story?  They RELEASED THE HACKED INFORMATION, TIMED TO DO MAX DAMAGE TO CLINTON.  I keep seeing republicans misstate the Russian interference.  There are many angles to this problem. I've seen some talk about ID's to vote, and that too has nothing to do with this.   Republicans always want to solve problems we don't have and ignore the ones we do.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  tomwcraig @7.1.9    6 years ago
Actually, WikiLeaks repeatedly stated that their information was obtained through a DNC insider not from hacks.

Oh yeah, let's believe the rapist not our own intelligence agencies.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.12    6 years ago

The FBI never examined the DNC's computers and would have no way of knowing who hacked them, if anyone.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
7.1.14  Explorerdog  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.3    6 years ago

Hell why didn't you tell the investigating team about the evidence you have and save everyone all the time and trumps pen warming up to pardon himself.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @7.1.15    6 years ago

We are thanking God that no Americans willfully or knowingly dealt with Russians to help them subvert our election process.  

user image
Freshman Silent
7.3    replied to  JohnRussell @7    6 years ago

The democrats are already saying the Russians are in cahoots with Trump to rig the Midterm elections. You know why they're saying that John? Because they know they're going get their asses handed to them AGAIN !!  So they will need an excuse to explain why they AGAIN lost.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    6 years ago

Maybe the Democrats will run on immigration amnesty for illegal aliens? 

That seems much more their style these days than worrying over whether their US citizen constituents get to keep any more of the money that they have earned.

Funny how Nancy Pelosi said that unemployment checks were great for the economy, claimed how great the $40 per week the average American got under Obama's tax breaks (which actually hurt some Americans in the long run because it meant they actually paid less into Social Security) but the same $40 is now "crumbs".

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
8.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Texan1211 @8    6 years ago
Maybe the Democrats will run on immigration amnesty for illegal aliens?

Maybe trump will put forth another republican amnesty.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Explorerdog @8.1    6 years ago

He might, But I bet he won't trust Democrats to do what they say like Reagan did.

user image
Freshman Silent
8.2    replied to  Texan1211 @8    6 years ago

If the democrats could get amnesty for illegals only if they couldn't vote for 20 years they would abandon the dreamers and illegals. Democrats don't give a shit about them, they only want them to have amnesty to buy their votes. 

Fitbuddy
Freshman Silent
9  Fitbuddy    6 years ago

Trump proved that anything can happen in an election. If polls and history still mean anything though, it's trending for the Democrats to flip at least one house. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1  It Is ME  replied to  Fitbuddy @9    6 years ago
If polls and history still mean anything though

Nope....Polls and Media Opinion banter STILL means nothing.

you can thank the Pollsters and the Media for that.......Problem ! Party

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
9.1.1  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @9.1    6 years ago

Unless it favors the right then they are quoted ad nauseum, curious isn't it!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @9.1.1    6 years ago
Unless it favors the right

Unless.... close call

Haven't you figured out YET.....the Liberal Media and the Pollsters just don't get it.....and still DON'T ?

How did Donald Quash Queen Hillary anyway ?

Polls and the Media said.....SHE WAS A SHOE-IN ! liar

Maybe it was "Russia's" fault ? laughing dude

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
9.1.3  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @9.1.2    6 years ago

Perhaps you forgot, but it was a result of the peculiarity of our electoral system in which the popular vote really doesn't drive the bus it is simply an illusion which makes gerrymandering the manipulation that can sway the end disproportionally. Don't discount the fact that the DNC was responsible for the nomination of Hilary simply due to the desire for a gender specific candidate and many democrats held their nose and voted for her. The republicans put up their candidate that had such an odor that even the marvels of modern chemistry can't mask. Russia made an attempt regardless of the success and they are already trying again, I realize pretending that your supreme leader is at arms length is comforting, but he has little hands and very short arms.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9.1.4  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @9.1.2    6 years ago

Bigots, Bots, Assange and Comey.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  A. Macarthur @9.1.4    6 years ago

A democrat coalition.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1    replied to  A. Macarthur @10    6 years ago

State elections deal with state issues, local elections deal with local issues neither has any bearing in a national election. Be prepared for democrats to get their asses handed to them yet again in the Midterms.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
11  luther28    6 years ago

Excuse me, I guess I wandered into the wrong playground, would someone be so kind as to direct me to the adult section.

Name calling really?

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
12  Rex Block    6 years ago

Same classless comments from the same hateful, clueless, and ignorant liberal crew. Dumb  Dems are going to have more going for them than hating Trump, to turn seats in both houses of Congress. Lately, including right now, they are not offering the American people anything of value, just hate and discord.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
13  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago

the left can not win on hate trump alone... if they could hillary would have won.

my guess is they will run on open borders, higher taxes, and crappy trade deals like they mean it.

Cheers :)

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
13.1  tomwcraig  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @13    6 years ago

You would think if the Democrats were really about taxing the rich, they would support a National Sales Tax.  Most of the rich already have their money, so an income tax won't really affect them, only those that recently became rich through selling an idea, getting a lucrative sports or entertainment contract, selling a product that sold a great many units, won the lottery, or somehow made millions within the year on the stock market.  Under a Sales Tax, all of those items would still be taxed, but almost all other items would be taxed as well.  For instance, you buy a video game or console at Wal-mart, that would be taxed.  My idea would actually exclude those items necessary for life: for example basic house ownership (ie a house just big enough for your family so a single bedroom single bathroom home for a family of 2), low cost appliances (basic microwaves, basic ovens/stoves, small refrigerators, etc.), basic food items, general cleaning supplies, and basic household items.  Things like caviar would be taxed as they are luxury items and anything not needed for basic survival.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
13.1.1  Explorerdog  replied to  tomwcraig @13.1    6 years ago

I do support the idea and have so for a long time, there are many positive aspects and the only real negatives are that it would create a bigger stimulus to the barter system, that would not offset however the massive number of people that earn their livings not totally off the books so it is still a win.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
13.1.2  tomwcraig  replied to  Explorerdog @13.1.1    6 years ago

Yep, a Sales Tax is the only way to get nearly everyone to pay their fair share.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @13    6 years ago

They live and die based on hate.  Hate is what they know.  They hate and then turn around and accuse their domestic political opposition of engaging in the very hate that it is really theirs, not ours.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
13.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.2    6 years ago
They hate and then turn around and accuse their domestic political opposition of engaging in the very hate that it is really theirs, not ours.

The hate spewed here on NT by BOTH sides is truly disgusting. I don't understand why dialog on topics can't be had without the endless sicking spewing of biased hate. The hate spewed in most of your own seeds from both sides is totally appalling, and yet you try to put the blame only on the Democrats.  The majority of the Members here are not as stupid as like to think.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
14  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Polling Data

Poll Date Sample
Democrats (D)
Republicans (R)
Spread
RCP Average 1/21 - 2/13 -- 45.4 38.8 Democrats +6.6
Economist/YouGov 2/11 - 2/13 1280 RV 42 38 Democrats +4
PPP (D) 2/9 - 2/11 687 RV 49 41 Democrats +8
Marist 2/5 - 2/7 807 RV 49 38 Democrats +11
Reuters/Ipsos 2/2 - 2/6 3110 A 38 31 Democrats +7
Quinnipiac 2/2 - 2/5 1333 RV 49 40 Democrats +9
IBD/TIPP 1/25 - 2/2 832 RV 46 41 Democrats +5
Monmouth 1/28 - 1/30 711 RV 47 45 Democrats +2
Rasmussen Reports 1/24 - 1/25 1000 LV 45 37 Democrats +8
FOX News 1/21 - 1/23 1002 RV 44 38 Democrats +6

All 2018 Generic Congressional Vote Polling Data

As of Today

user image
Freshman Silent
14.1    replied to  A. Macarthur @14    6 years ago

Show the polls favoring Hillary prior to the last Presidential election, she was a shoe-in remember?

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
14.1.2  Explorerdog  replied to  @14.1    6 years ago

Show a poll that trump gained a half point and they make banners to fly, sure we give you credit./s

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
15  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

They are going to focus on California so that they can get even with members who voted to increase taxes on the rich.