╌>

17 Confirmed Dead In Mass Shooting At Florida High School

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  479 comments

17 Confirmed Dead In Mass Shooting At Florida High School

Active shooter at high school in Parkland Florida.  Shooter still not apprehended.  There are reports of multiple injuries. 

BREAKING: Authorities say a school in Parkland, Florida, was placed on lockdown this afternoon following a reported shooting.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Many students have been brought out ok, unknown what if any injuries have happened. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

He initially got away by blending in with the evacuated students.  He was identified by witnesses and arrested.  News here reports 17 dead but it may rise as there are critically injured.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

When you have created a culture where people think they can gain glory, retribution or a perverted sense of justice by shooting other human beings, this is what happens. 

Gun love is the problem. No one goes into a school and attacks people with a pick axe, they use guns. 

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
4.2  Rex Block  replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago
When you have created a culture where people think they can gain glory, retribution or a perverted sense of justice by shooting other human beings, this is what happens.

Yes, the liberals have created a culture where anyone can do whatever they want to anyone they want. If they fail in any attempt, be it in a romantic relationship or success at their jobs, or being rejected in some manner, they lash out at whoever they think has wronged them. It's always someone else's fault that they have turned out to be losers and failures. Almost always these shooters turn out to be left wing nuts. Guns are simply their tool of choice.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.1  JBB  replied to  Rex Block @4.2    6 years ago
Yes, the liberals have created a culture where anyone can do whatever they want to anyone they want.

Oh, I get it now. If anyone even mentions that guns were a factor then they are off limit and out of bounds. Liberals are, "Politicizing the tragedy", but the goppers blaming it all on liberals is fine and dandy. Gotcha...

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
4.2.2  Rex Block  replied to  JBB @4.2.1    6 years ago

No, it's the shooter's grandiose sense of entitlement that leads them to believe that everything bad that happens to them is someone else's fault. Hillary continues to be a good example of this mentality.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Rex Block @4.2.2    6 years ago

You didn't need to bring your hatred for HRC into this.  I suggest you try the DT group as they love comments like yours.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Rex Block @4.2.2    6 years ago
Hillary

Literally has nothing to do with this incident at all. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.2.6  A. Macarthur  replied to  Rex Block @4.2    6 years ago

BULLSHIT!

Yes, Congress did repeal a rule that made it harder for people with mental illness to buy a gun

The repeal, approved by the Republican-controlled House and Senate, was supported by the NRA and ACLU.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.2.6    6 years ago

Gosh, if the ACLU was supportive, then it must have placed unnecessary restrictions on people's rights.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.2.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  A. Macarthur @4.2.6    6 years ago

correct me if I am wrong , but wasn't that repealed because of a lack of due process and judicial adjudication to remove the enumerated right of the persons affected?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.2.10  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.8    6 years ago

Gosh, if the ACLU was supportive, then it must have placed unnecessary restrictions on people's rights.

I'll bet you'll now backtrack and laud every position the ACLU has ever taken … 

… because this once, they lost their sanity.

WTF, Al Capone opened soup kitchens during the Great Depression … so, in spite of all the people he killed … SOUP'S ON EVERYONE … Al Capone, American Hero!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.2.10    6 years ago

Are you disputing the veracity of my post or just in-general bitching?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.2.12  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.11    6 years ago
Are you disputing the veracity of my post or just in-general bitching?

Are you unable to grasp the idea that it's inconsistent, if not hypocritical, to obliquely laud an organization that, for once, you agree with, while, ordinarily, in the past, bad mouthing it?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.2.13  A. Macarthur  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.2.9    6 years ago
correct me if I am wrong , but wasn't that repealed because of a lack of due process and judicial adjudication to remove the enumerated right of the persons affected?

Here's the ACLU rationale.

The American Civil Liberties Union does not oppose gun control laws. As an organization dedicated to defending all constitutional rights, we believe the Second Amendment allows reasonable restrictions to promote public safety.

But gun control laws, like any law, should be fair, effective and not based on prejudice or stereotype. This rule met none of those criteria.

In this era of “alternative facts,” we must urge politicians to create laws based on reliable evidence and solid data.

The thousands of Americans whose disability benefits are managed by someone else range from young people with depression and financial inexperience to older adults with Down syndrome needing help with a limited budget. But no data — none — show that these individuals have a propensity for violence in general or gun violence in particular.

Otherwise, good to see you, Mark.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.2.12    6 years ago

Well, see, there's where you went wrong.

I didn't "laud" the ACLU.

I merely pointed out EVEN the ACLU was against something because it violated our rights.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4.5  GaJenn78  replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago

ANNNNNNNNNND there it is! See my comment way below...

JBB
Professor Principal
4.5.1  JBB  replied to  GaJenn78 @4.5    6 years ago

Yeah, we all kinda saw that one coming, too...

user image
Freshman Silent
4.6    replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago

No one with a pix axe ever stoppped a shooter.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
4.6.1  Rex Block  replied to  @4.6    6 years ago

It took a good guy with a gun.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.6.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Rex Block @4.6.1    6 years ago

Tell me, what law has been passed since Sandy Hook that helps in situations like this? Where was the good guy with a gun that stopped the 17 deaths today? Oh, that's right, there wasn't a "good guy with a gun" that stopped the shooting from happening today. When will people like you wake up and, smell the gun powder?

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
4.6.4  Rex Block  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.6.2    6 years ago

I'm talking about the cops who captured him. Please think outside the liberal box for once.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.6.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Rex Block @4.6.4    6 years ago
I'm talking about the cops who captured him. Please think outside the liberal box for once.

Oh, I always do, in spite of what you might think of me, I'm not a liberal. It was the conservatives and, the gun lobbyists who were saying, "Only good guys with guns can stop the bad guys with guns so, don't take any guns away from our citizens, the Second Amendment must be held up to a higher standard than any other amendment." A bill was presented back during Obama's time in office that would make it harder for terrorists to get guns in this country and, it never made it to the floor. We've gotten to the point when talking about rights that terrorists have more rights than our kids do.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.6.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.6.5    6 years ago

are you talking about when they wanted to tie the no fly list to the NICS check making it if you were on the no fly list you couldn't buy or own a gun?

That failed for a very simple reason , no one knows how one gets on the list , there is no notification your on the list( until you try to fly), there is no process to get oneself removed from the listin a timely manner ( unless one is a member of congress , ted kennedy was on the list too) or at no cost to the person on the list erroneously, and to attempt to do so was expensive and stonewalled due to national security interests, so basically anyone could be put on that list( actually a compilation of lists from different agencies) that had no judicial overwatch to insure that the persons rights were actually not being abused , it was all done in secret, with zero notification to refute the designation.

IT was a shitty bill.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.7  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago
Gun love is the problem.

But on a good note all them violent movies that them hypocritical Hollywood liberals make millions off from they donate large sums to the democrat party.

On a side note I think part of the problem is being played out right now. The 24/7 coverage by the press. They are giving these terrorist what they want. Fame.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  KDMichigan @4.7    6 years ago

Bingo! You nailed it (the problem).

If the 24/7 news coverage would stop, maybe people wouldn't feel the need for attention. It's our "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" society. Everybody has to have that 15 minutes of fame

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.7.2  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @4.7    6 years ago
'But on a good note all them violent movies that them hypocritical Hollywood liberals make millions off from they donate large sums to the democrat party.'

So only liberals make movies and only they donate large sums to the democrat party?

I don't know why I'm responding you - that literally doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  

Bourbon Street
Freshman Silent
4.8  Bourbon Street  replied to  JohnRussell @4    6 years ago
Gun love is the problem.

Nope. That's like saying a love of cars is the root cause of drunk driving.

Keeping the guns out of the hands of lunatics and wack-a-doodles is the challenge - no how badly the liberals want to disarm lawful gun owners..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Florida Sen. Bill Nelson says there are "many" dead at the school. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
6  GaJenn78    6 years ago

This is truly heartbreaking!!! I was on my way to pick up my oldest daughter; a Junior at our HS, when I heard the news on the radio. They had a kid speaking to the station and was saying that he knew of 3 dead, 2 of which were outside his classroom door. I am just now home and turning on the news so I am not totally up to speed. I have 3 daughters, one in each of the schools here in my Ga county... High, Middle, and Elementary. I CANNOT fathom or wrap my brain around this!!!! I have not read through the comments yet, this is NOT a political issue and shame on anyone who makes it one!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  GaJenn78 @6    6 years ago

If I find someone making it a political issue I will pass along your concerns to them. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
6.1.1  GaJenn78  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    6 years ago

You do t have to be a smarty pants....or passive aggressive.....

shona1
PhD Quiet
7  shona1    6 years ago

Morning...Once again I turn the radio on here and another mass school shooting in the States is unfolding....Have no idea what the answer is...even if there ever will be one. The souls that are lost, their families will never be the same again...forever in a world of pain as someone from their family is missing. From across the Pacific we shake our heads in total bewilderment..what the hell are these "shooters" thinking?? Has it got to the stage where these "shooters" now look upon it all as a game? Trying reach the highest score as they try and out do one another??...We watch with sadness and pain for our friends across the Pacific..Especially when they start showing the names and faces of the lost...America, we grieve with you.....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.3  MrFrost  replied to  shona1 @7    6 years ago
Morning...Once again I turn the radio on here and another mass school shooting in the States is unfolding

They happen so often it's almost a back burner issue, not even worth reporting. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9  Jonathan P    6 years ago

My wife is a teacher at MSD. I just brought her home safely, although she is obviously quite shaken. We live less than a mile from the school, and had to park a half mile down the road and walk the rest of the way.

From the initial reports, the gunman murdered 3 of her friends. Whether or not these are confirmed, it's not going to be a very good week, month or year. The school will probably be closed until next week. From this standpoint, I don't know how it will ever be the same.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
9.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Jonathan P @9    6 years ago

Never the same! I am so sorry! I cannot fathom what your wife or you are going through! Thankful she is OK, and hope her co workers are as well. Thoughts and prayers for you and your wife! 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.1.1  Jonathan P  replied to  GaJenn78 @9.1    6 years ago

I think she's a bit numb now. The phone is ringing off the hook, so she's been occupied by retelling her story over and over again. That's probably some very good therapy. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Jonathan P @9.1.1    6 years ago

Give my best wishes to your wife. Give her a great big hug from me .Miss Molly and Waldo say to give some big wet sloppy kisses from them. They claim dig kisses are the best medicine at times like this .

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.1.3  Jonathan P  replied to  arkpdx @9.1.2    6 years ago

Thank you so much for your wishes. Percy is busy washing her face this evening. No worries.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jonathan P @9.1.3    6 years ago

I'm so sorry. I'm glad your wife is safe. I know you will take good care of her

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.1.5  Jonathan P  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.4    6 years ago

She is physically fine. I don't think it's going that well otherwise. This morning, she went to the Parkland Library to meet up with a group of teachers. They'll commiserate, and hopefully find a way to settle down and start to move on a little. I'm not hopeful in the short term, but she's a strong woman. She'll persevere, one way or the other.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
9.4  LynneA  replied to  Jonathan P @9    6 years ago

Sorry this horror has directly impacted your wife, those she works with and students she may personally know.  A life-changing event to be certain.  May she be surrounded with the love of family and friends now and in preparation of returning to work.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.4.1  Jonathan P  replied to  LynneA @9.4    6 years ago

Thank you very much for your wishes, thoughts and hopes.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Jonathan P @9    6 years ago

My heart goes out to you both.  You need to be her rock during the difficult times ahead.  I can't speak for everyone on NT, but I for one will keep you both in my prayers.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.6.1  Jonathan P  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.6    6 years ago

I shall do my very best, hoping that it will be enough. Thank you for your positive thoughts.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Jonathan P @9.6.1    6 years ago

Big hugs Big hugs One for each of you and apraying dude

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jonathan P @9    6 years ago

Could this be the first time such a tragedy from a mass gun-killing touched one our NT family? Thank God, or the Creator, or whatever, that your wife survived it. Let's hope she gets over the trauma quickly.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.7.1  Jonathan P  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.7    6 years ago

Thanks for your good wishes, Buzz.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.8  Raven Wing  replied to  Jonathan P @9    6 years ago

I am so truly sorry that your wife had to have such a mentally and emotionally traumatic experience, and finding it hard to deal with. I am very glad that she was not among the victims, and the loss of her friends in this terrifying event is sure to leave its scars in many ways. I hope that she will be able to get the professional help she will need to help her deal with her experience and the loss of her friends to such a terrible situation.

I will keep her in my prayers and thoughts.  May the Creator grant her strength and peace. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.8.1  Jonathan P  replied to  Raven Wing @9.8    6 years ago

All very true, RW. I know your thoughts and prayers will help us get to where we need to be. Thank you.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9.9  charger 383  replied to  Jonathan P @9    6 years ago

glad she is OK

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.9.1  Jonathan P  replied to  charger 383 @9.9    6 years ago

Thank you for your positive thoughts, Charger.

PJ
Masters Quiet
9.10  PJ  replied to  Jonathan P @9    6 years ago

JP - I cannot imagine the fear you felt as you rushed to your wife.  I'm saddened that your wife was exposed to such a horrible tragedy that she will be connected to forever.  I hope she will find peace again.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
9.10.1  Jonathan P  replied to  PJ @9.10    6 years ago

Thank you for your positive thoughts. This will take time, and hopefully she'll come out whole on the other side.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I was thinking of visiting America one of these days, so do you think these will be enough for me to have to be safe there?  I hope I can buy them over the internet, because there is nowhere where I am that sells guns, and nobody but the army and police have them.

cowboy_now.jpg

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.1  Skrekk  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    6 years ago

In  related news Remington just filed for bankruptcy .    Apparently the Trump regime doesn't spawn the same abject terror in the hearts of the guns, god and bible crowd as the Obama admin did.

Maybe what Remington needs to do is market a 60-round per second semi-auto which can be easily concealed in a school lunchbox, or a Mickey Mouse backpack which also holds a 1,000 round belt?    That way these kids can properly defend themselves.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
10.1.1  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Skrekk @10.1    6 years ago
60-round per second semi-auto

Physically impossible.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  Uncle Bruce @10.1.1    6 years ago
Physically impossible.

Who knew that 13-round per second bump stocks would one day be a possibility to evade the laws against automatics?

An even higher rate could be achieved by physically isolating part of the trigger mechanism from the rest of the gun in order to reduce the mass of the moving trigger element which "bumps" against one's trigger finger in response to the recoil.   So it would still be one shot per trigger pull but at a much higher cycle rate than a bump stock.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Uncle Bruce @10.1.1    6 years ago
Physically impossible.

I think they meant minute. 

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
10.1.4  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Skrekk @10.1.2    6 years ago

13 rounds per second is a far cry from 60 rounds a second, for a semi-automatic.  And again, that's a physical impossibility.  While modern individual assault rifles (as opposed to the fake moniker assault weapon)  can be found with rate of fire approaching 1000 rounds per minute, those weapons are designed with different BCG (Bolt Carrier Groups) than the AR style weapon.  The AR BCG, based on the military M-16 could not achieve, even with the modifications you think would help, the best you could achieve is 750 rounds a minute, or 12.5 rounds per second.  

Your dream of 60 rounds a second, equates to 3600 rounds per minute.  To achieve that rate of sustained fire, you would need a rotating barrel design, or make it a crew served weapon.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  MrFrost @10.1.3    6 years ago
I think they meant minute.

Even the kind of bump stock used in NV can achieve up to 800 rounds per minute but you'd run out of clip first, so what you really want for school use is a belt-fed auto since it's designed for high firing rates and doesn't have the same overheating and reload issues.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.1.6  Skrekk  replied to  Uncle Bruce @10.1.4    6 years ago
Your dream of 60 rounds a second, equates to 3600 rounds per minute.  To achieve that rate of sustained fire, you would need a rotating barrel design, or make it a crew served weapon.

Exactly.   Come out with a version which can fit in a child's lunchbox and you've got a guaranteed market in the red state school districts.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
10.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    6 years ago
and nobody but the army and police have them.

Thank God in the states we have a constitutional right to protect ourselves from an oppressive Government. But you should be safe just watch yourself around Triggered democrats. just agree with them you will be safe.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.2.1  Skrekk  replied to  KDMichigan @10.2    6 years ago
Thank God in the states we have a constitutional right to protect ourselves from an oppressive Government.

That's a myth.   What's your pistol supposed to do against a tank or even an M2 0.50 cal belt driven automatic?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XDm9mm @10.2.2    6 years ago
He with the most numbers will invariably win. But if what you believe is valid, why then has the Taliban, Al Qaida and now ISIS, with forces that are believed to have numbered less than 50,000 at it's maximum, stymied this nations military AND the military of other nations for over 15 years?

Ever read Sun Tzu? The North Vietnamese did, remember them? They were a small force compared to us, how did that war turn out?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.2.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  KDMichigan @10.2    6 years ago

Lol wow. You really think your rifle is going to stop the US military should it ever turn on the citizenry? That is so cute. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.2.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  XDm9mm @10.2.2    6 years ago

"Military actions are battles of attrition.  He with the most numbers will invariably win."

True until the true advent of WMDs. Numbers don't matter when you can kill millions in a matter of seconds to weeks while doing little to nothing militarily. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.2.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  XDm9mm @10.2.4    6 years ago

And by true WMDs I really mean ICBMs.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.2.8  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XDm9mm @10.2.4    6 years ago

No, Vietnam was lost on the battle field by generals who didn't have enough sense to figure out what the enemy was up to.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
10.2.9  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @10.2.3    6 years ago

Not a good analogy Galen, considering that Shrekk is arguing that the lightly equipt gun owner demographic of the US would not be able to stand up to tanks.  Last I heard, the VC and NVA had precious few tanks at their disposal.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.2.10  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Uncle Bruce @10.2.9    6 years ago
Not a good analogy Galen, considering that Shrekk is arguing that the lightly equipt gun owner demographic of the US would not be able to stand up to tanks.

That is the point I am making, yes, the VC didn't have tanks but, who won the war, the people without tanks, Sun Tzu taught them very well.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
10.2.11  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @10.2.10    6 years ago

Which means you just shot down Shrekk's argument.  You don't think some of us haven't read Sun Tzu?

"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity"

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.2.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Uncle Bruce @10.2.11    6 years ago
Which means you just shot down Shrekk's argument.

I've read Sun Tzu so, I know others have as well. I'm also an amateur student of history, the U.S. came into existence because the people took on one of the major military's of the time and, won. However, I'm still figuring out how someone with three hundred guns is going to carry all of them into battle though and, I keep getting this picture in my head of someone standing there with an AR-15 facing down a tank, I still chuckle over that one.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.13  Sparty On  replied to  Skrekk @10.2.1    6 years ago

Not much of a worry with Posse Comitatus but One wonders what a “belt driven” M-2 50 Cal is.   I’ve fired the recoiled operated version but never the belt driven one.

sounds scary ....

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.2.14  Skrekk  replied to  Sparty On @10.2.13    6 years ago
I’ve fired the recoiled operated version but never the belt driven one.

Sorry - that should read "belt fed."

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.15  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Skrekk @10.2.1    6 years ago

look up liberator pistol from WW2, and your thinking it would be a head on fight such as in korea and sometimes VN, that would be a mistake .

If it ever came down to it government forces would have a few issues to overcome , first and formost is , would US military members follow orders to fire on US citizens? If I were a betting man , I would say its a 50/50 split some would , some would refuse , enough to be a problem, so much so that the ones that would , most likely would have to be watching their backs against the ones that wouldn't . best ending , the military stands down and does nothing  and leaves it to the alphabet agencies of the government, but they would also have the same problems.

another issue they would have to contend with is terrain knowledge, oh they have maps , sat images , gps and the like , but the real knowledge of what really there would be in the hands of the locals .

Now if your thinking some grand incident that settles it once and for all, wrong , it will be worse than VN, Iraq, Afghan, and throw into the mix it will involve 3rd and 4th generation warfare, some ex military here will know exactly what I am talking about , there will be no safe havens , no green zones , there would be no exemptions on who is or is not a legitamite target. they wont go for the foot slogger , but those that give that person the order , and go up the chain from there , and as I said , it wont just be them it will be their families as well. there wont be any uniforms or any of that , it will be just everyday people dressed like they always do .

And that is just the very TIP of the iceberg that is 3rd or 4th generation warfare .

as for numbers ? how many gun owners are there? how many employed by the government alphabet agencies that are actually armed?  Like someone already said , if guns and gun owners were really the problem, you would already know it , with the amount of arms in civilian hands with how much ammunition that is already out there......does Custer remind you of anything?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.2.16  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Thrawn 31 @10.2.5    6 years ago
Lol wow. You really think your rifle is going to stop the US military should it ever turn on the citizenry?

why do you think people in the military will let/help the military attack their families?   people who will die for god and country to protect their families do not suddenly think it is OK to attack their families

the avg foot soldier in the us military will not turn on civilians. if given that order the military will turn on the ones who gave that order.

there are no safe spaces in the military. just wall to wall rightwingers, bitter clingers and bible thumpers, who know exactly what an illegal order sounds like.  the few liberals in the military who would agree to shoot our people would not make it thru the first day

there will be no help or mercy for the ones who follow or try to give such illegal orders.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.2.17  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.15    6 years ago
ith the amount of arms in civilian hands with how much ammunition that is already out there

the US civilian population is the largest unorganized armed force in the world.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10.2.16    6 years ago

I'm a liberal and I would not have open fired on civilians. I'm loving the broad brush some of you have. Must have been a big sale on them at Lowe's

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.2.19  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.2.18    6 years ago
I'm a liberal and I would not have open fired on civilians.

then your not  as liberal as you think you are. good for you.

todays libs who are sects of socialists/communists would love the chance to shoot conservatives with the govts blessing.

do you also support free speech even when you do not like that speech?  if you do? your moving further to the right every minute.

Cheers :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10.2.19    6 years ago

you take that back

lady in black
Professor Quiet
11  lady in black    6 years ago

Breaks my heart.  Just too many school shootings lately....what is wrong with people!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

At least 16 dead in school shooting in Florida, according to CNN. 

Mass murder. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @12    6 years ago

To no one's surprise, the murder weapon has been identified as an AR-15 style rifle.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
12.1.2  GaJenn78  replied to  XDm9mm @12.1.1    6 years ago

LOL, love your font style....js

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
12.1.4  GaJenn78  replied to  XDm9mm @12.1.3    6 years ago

;-)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  XDm9mm @12.1.1    6 years ago

Exactly. We shouldn't even try to prevent mass murder. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
12.2  GaJenn78  replied to  JohnRussell @12    6 years ago

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  GaJenn78 @12.2    6 years ago

Still shy of the record. He should have put a little more effort into it.

CB
Professor Principal
13  CB    6 years ago

I will not shed anything resembling a tear over this. I will not wring my hands. I will not wipe my brow. Just desserts. "We," clearly get what we deserve because "we" clearly are dumbfounded on how we have come to be in this position. If I, or any of my loved ones, are ever killed due to this kind of violence,  I guess I, and them, will just be another dumb STATISTIC! I remember that old saying a few decade back about not becoming a "damn statistic." Now, our hands are tied (by law).

Who knew there are problems in the United States that defy solution?! . . .??

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.1  Skrekk  replied to  CB @13    6 years ago

Apparently the 2nd Amendment is a suicide contract.

Too bad Americans aren't as smart as Australians on this issue.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Skrekk @13.1    6 years ago

Ok.....They can buy on the black market. Lets get rid of the 2nd, that will make it all better! Just like prohibition. Lets ban drugs and make them illegal, that will make it all better.  Making things illegal doesn't make things better. People who sell guns on the black market don't care how old the person is, money talks.... lets take away money! Honestly, there is NOTHING the government can do to stop anything.... there will always be a black market and there will always be one side blaming the other.... This is not a political issue..... You can make it one all you want. We can put all the restrictions and laws.... is it going to help???? IS IT?

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
13.1.2  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Skrekk @13.1    6 years ago
Too bad Americans aren't as smart as Australians on this issue.

Uh...yeah...

Murders and Suicides Didn’t ‘Plummet’

The piece, along with many gun control advocates, cites a Harvard University study whose conclusion begins with this line: “It does not appear that the Australian experience with gun buybacks is fully replicable in the United States.” Not a great start for Vox’s angle, but I digress.

The study doesn’t conclude that “murders and suicides plummeted” in Australia after the 1996 gun ban, as Vox claims in its headline. Instead, it focuses solely on firearm-related murders and suicides. In that category they found a marked decline (although, interestingly, it still makes up nearly 20 percent of all homicides nearly two decades after most guns were banned by the island nation).

But at the same time Australia was banning guns and experiencing a decline in gun homicides, America was more than doubling how many firearms it manufactured and seeing a nearly identical drop in gun homicides . That throws a bit of a wrench into the idea that Australia’s gun ban must be the reason for its decline in gun crime.

However, what’s more important is the fact that overall suicides and murder have not “plummeted” in the years after the gun ban. Yes, as with the gun-happy United States, the murder rate is down in Australia. It’s dropped 31 percent from a rate of 1.6 per 100,000 people in 1994 to 1.1 per 100,000 in 2012.But it’s the only serious crime that saw a consistent decline post-ban.

In fact, according to the Australian government’s own statistics , a number of serious crimes peaked in the years after the ban. Manslaughter, sexual assault, kidnapping, armed robbery, and unarmed robbery all saw peaks in the years following the ban, and most remain near or above pre-ban rates. The effects of the 1996 ban on violent crime are, frankly, unimpressive at best.

Violence Declined Stateside Without A Gun Ban

It’s even less impressive when again compared to America’s decrease in violent crime over the same period. According to data from the U.S. Justice Department, violent crime fell nearly 72 percent between 1993 and 2011. Again, this happened as guns were being manufactured and purchased at an ever-increasing rate.

The Australian gun ban’s effect on suicide in the country isn’t any better. While Vox repeats the Harvard study’s claim that firearm-related suicides are down 57 percent in the aftermath of the ban, Lifeline Australia reports that overall suicides are at a ten-year high. The Australian suicide prevention organization claims suicide is the leading cause of death for Australians 15 to 44 years old. So, while Australians kill themselves with firearms less often, it seems they don’t actually take their own lives any less often than before the ban.

Whatever you think of the merits of Australia’s gun ban or the practicality of using it as a model for American gun control, it most certainly has not caused suicide or murder rates to plummet. Furthermore, Australia has seen violent crimes peak in the years following its ban while the United States experienced the exact opposite phenomenon.

Australia isn’t much of a model for Australia, let alone for America.

shona1
PhD Quiet
13.1.3  shona1  replied to  Skrekk @13.1    6 years ago

Morning Skrekk..We have guns here they are not banned...as many over there think..We buy, sell, have shootings, armed robberies, home invasions etc etc...We too have had mass shootings..Yes we changed the gun laws on what you can buy and how many bullets it can hold and how fast it can fire..But we still own and have guns in Australia....The main thing here though we have a totally different mentality towards guns compared with the US. Always have and always will...You can't compare us to the States as we are chalk and cheese...And to be honest that suits me down to the ground...One mass shooting was enough for us. That is not to say it will never happen again, but we have tried to make it a hell of a lot harder for it to occur...So sorry for all the lost souls, their families and friends....

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  shona1 @13.1.3    6 years ago
That is not to say it will never happen again, but we have tried to make it a hell of a lot harder for it to occur

The US doesn't even have the will to try, particularly with the NRA-controlled GOP in charge of Congress.

The main thing here though we have a totally different mentality towards guns compared with the US.

Bowling for Columbine had a great comparison about the difference between US and Canadian culture despite very similar gun ownership patterns.   A lot of it is driven by the MSM's desire to scare and traumatize their viewers.

shona1
PhD Quiet
13.1.6  shona1  replied to  Uncle Bruce @13.1.2    6 years ago

Morning Uncle..why on earth are you rabbitting on about suicide rates?? No one here expected them to drop, no one here expected the murder rate to drop or armed robberies or anything else..What we did expect to drop is wiping out 35 people in one hit...And so far that has not re occurred since...How many have occurred over there since??? As I have said previously we are out to stop "mass" shootings. It is not about one person deciding to take one's own life...We get so sick of you mob dragging us into your gun debates etc and comparing us with the States...On guns, we are nothing alike...never have been and never will be...

shona1
PhD Quiet
13.1.8  shona1  replied to  XDm9mm @13.1.5    6 years ago

Morning XD..Yes I guess in the respect you are right...The tyranny of distance has done that to us...If we waited around for something to happen, then it would never would..The Motherland was a long way away in the 1770's etc...We do tend to just get on with it as we are on own in many respects...We help the Kiwi's and they us as it is to far for anyone else to do anything...It is really hard to pin point what it is with the States and guns though...you have us perplexed over it and hence we just put it down to the "mentality" as we are at a loss to explain it otherwise....So sorry for your country facing this situation yet again.....

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  GaJenn78 @13.1.1    6 years ago
Making things illegal doesn't make things better. People who sell guns on the black market don't care how old the person is, money talks.... lets take away money! Honestly, there is NOTHING the government can do to stop anything.... there will always be a black market and there will always be one side blaming the other.... This is not a political issue..... You can make it one all you want. We can put all the restrictions and laws.... is it going to help???? IS IT?

Then let's go the other route, give everyone a gun at birth and, all the ammo they will ever need, everyone carry's a gun, concealed or, not, get rid of all the police and, other law enforcement, any dispute can be handled with the gun on your hip. Won't that be fun?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
13.1.11  Thrawn 31  replied to  shona1 @13.1.3    6 years ago

Don't be sorry, no one here is. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XDm9mm @13.1.10    6 years ago
The only ones that TRY to make that comparison are leftist radicals as they can't seem to develop a law that WOULD STOP THIS INSANITY BEFORE THE ACT.

Read GaJinns post, the one that I responded to, that is the exact opposite of what I said in mine and, is my response to what was posted in GaJinns post.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XDm9mm @13.1.7    6 years ago
"But they always neglect to mention the salient fact that the population of Australia is less than 10% that of the United States,..."

Most of the statistics I've seen are based on a "per 100,000 population", so does that not clarify the REAL difference?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.14  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XDm9mm @13.1.10    6 years ago
They don't stop criminals or nut cases from acting illegally.

At the time Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy you could buy a gun through an advertisement in a magazine, no gun check, no waiting period, that is the way he got his gun that he used to kill Kennedy. Try doing the same thing today.

shona1
PhD Quiet
13.1.15  shona1  replied to  Thrawn 31 @13.1.11    6 years ago

Strongly disagree with your statement...sounds like you have a case of "familiarity breeds contempt"???

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
13.1.16  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.14    6 years ago

only way that can happen today is through a private sale , BUT and here is the big but , even during a private sale ( person to person) , the seller cannot sell if they know or suspect the person is prohibited by law from purchasing a firearm, if they do they have broken federal law .

there are over 20,000 federal , state and local gun laws on the books , some work some don't , but not all are enforced , before adding more , start enforcing all that exist , weed out those ineffective , and consider what actually MIGHT have a chance of working.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.17  GaJenn78  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.9    6 years ago

Wow, you really took this and ran with it, huh?  Look at you go!!!! (a line from "ELF") anyhow....I happen to have an "arsenal" as you all like to say....(pretty sure if the shit hits the fan you wont be "offended" by it) who friggen cares..... I have it to protect my family and every single member of my family knows how to use my "arsenal" properly. We have all passed safety tests etc.... is that up to your standards? We enjoy going to a range to shoot and I carry when I go to nursing school and when I go to the grocery store.... You will NEVER see me being someone on TV who said "I wish I could have done more".....I will be the one on TV saying I saved "X" amount of people. Maybe one of those people saved was you or someone in your family..... I'm the person in the grocery store you want to say hi to :-)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.18  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  GaJenn78 @13.1.17    6 years ago
I happen to have an "arsenal" as you all like to say.

I could care less if you have an "arsenal" or, if you own only one gun. Here's a fact for you, black market guns don't come from a "black market" factory, they come from people like you who get their homes broken into and, have their "arsenal" taken from them.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
13.1.19  Uncle Bruce  replied to  shona1 @13.1.6    6 years ago
why on earth are you rabbitting on about suicide rates??

To be honest, I couldn't give a shit about suicide rates.  It's part of the article.  

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
13.1.20  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.18    6 years ago
they come from people like you who get their homes broken into and, have their "arsenal" taken from them.

So we should get rid of all our guns so that if our home get's broken into the robbers wont have anything to steal, right?  Because, hey, that's all GaJenn has to worry about.  Nobody would possibly break in and assault her, or kill her with her own kitchen knife right?

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.21  GaJenn78  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @13.1.16    6 years ago

Actually here in Georgia, if you buy a firearm online, you have to have it shipped to a dealer(they do a background before it's shipped), and the dealer does a background check. The dealer has to be a fed approved. There are no legit online "hand to hand" (is that a thing?) firearm deals. The background check has to be done before you can pickup the firearm. I know, I know, I'm in a red state so we can get whatever..... All of my fire arms are legit and registered and LOCKED up in a numeric coded safe.... 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.22  GaJenn78  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.18    6 years ago

"People like me???"  WOW!!! YOU know NOTHING about me! I have my "arsenal" locked away responsibly so go pound sand. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.23  GaJenn78  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.18    6 years ago

Black market guns come from "people like me"????? Thats a new one....why? because I own responsibly? That is a new one.....LOL

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.24  GaJenn78  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.18    6 years ago

You actually think there is a "factory" for black market guns???? laughing dude

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.25  GaJenn78  replied to  Uncle Bruce @13.1.20    6 years ago

LOL!!!! They can try to steal the safe..... They wiill be shot while trying seeing how it's about 800 lbs.... SMH.....Silly dudes trying to steal a 800 lb safe and not worry about the chick packin'.  "We'll worry about the lil lady after..."

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.26  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  GaJenn78 @13.1.22    6 years ago

I'll type real slow so you understand. Locks are to keep honest people out, they don't keep out thieves, your guns are gold to a thief, if they break into your house they can steal your guns and, sell them on the black market or, use them in a crime.

No, I don't think there is a "black market factory", however, with your simplified idea of gun ownership it seems you do think that. Cheers.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
13.1.27  sixpick  replied to  shona1 @13.1.3    6 years ago

Shona1, isn't Australia about 1/10th the size of the USA.  What percentage of the country's population live in 3 cites?  You're correct, there's no comparison.  Australia is much more strict in their immigration than the USA.  They don't put up with people causing trouble in neighborhoods like they do here in the USA.  If this country treated criminals like Australia does, the ACLU would go crazy.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
13.1.28  Raven Wing  replied to  GaJenn78 @13.1.21    6 years ago

I don't know if it is the same now, but, when I lived in No Virginia from 2004-2008, it was the same as you stated it is in GA in regards to shipping and receiving guns. Mother walked on in 2005 and I flew back to San Diego for her interment. After I flew back to Virginia my Father wrote me that she had wanted me to have her little Derringer. She had carried it with her for more than 30 years, and knowing I was living alone she wanted me to have it for protection. When my Father went to send it to me by UPS he was told that it would have to be sent to a gun dealer first for a background check. The small town I was living in only had one gun dealer, so I sent him the information where to send it. When the gun dealer received the gun he called and let me know. I went to the gun shop and gave him all the necessary information for the background check and a few days later I was able to pick up the gun.

When I later moved back to San Diego CA I had to go through the same process with the gun dealer there. I still have it, and it more of a sentimental remembrance now than a weapon. I've had the firing pin removed for added safety.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
13.1.29  Thrawn 31  replied to  sixpick @13.1.27    6 years ago

You do realize the vast majorities of these are not committed by immigrants right? 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.30  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sixpick @13.1.27    6 years ago
They don't put up with people causing trouble in neighborhoods like they do here in the USA.

I guess you know for a fact that this kid is an immigrant? Of course not, the only reason you have mentioned it is because his last name is Cruz, no other reason.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.1.31  Skrekk  replied to  GaJenn78 @13.1.17    6 years ago
I happen to have an "arsenal" as you all like to say....(pretty sure if the shit hits the fan you wont be "offended" by it) who friggen cares..... I have it to protect my family and every single member of my family knows how to use my "arsenal" properly.

They're coming to get you so make sure your arsenal is well cleaned and oiled.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
13.1.32  GaJenn78  replied to  Skrekk @13.1.31    6 years ago

always :-) Thanks for the reminder though

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
13.1.33  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  GaJenn78 @13.1.21    6 years ago

red state here as well , no registration required, hell don't even need states permission to carry openly or concealed.

what I did mention was the federal requirements for a sale done privately person to person in state, now other states have laws that have different requirements.

shona1
PhD Quiet
13.1.34  shona1  replied to  sixpick @13.1.27    6 years ago

A/noon six..There are approx 24 million of us running around down here..No where near the population of the States...Approx 80% of our population live in the cities around the coast....

sixpick
Professor Quiet
13.1.35  sixpick  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.30    6 years ago
Morning Skrekk..We have guns here they are not banned...as many over there think..We buy, sell, have shootings, armed robberies, home invasions etc etc...We too have had mass shootings..Yes we changed the gun laws on what you can buy and how many bullets it can hold and how fast it can fire..But we still own and have guns in Australia....The main thing here though we have a totally different mentality towards guns compared with the US. Always have and always will...You can't compare us to the States as we are chalk and cheese...And to be honest that suits me down to the ground...One mass shooting was enough for us. That is not to say it will never happen again, but we have tried to make it a hell of a lot harder for it to occur...So sorry for all the lost souls, their families and friends....

What is at the top of my comment was what I was responding to.

My comment was:

Shona1, isn't Australia about 1/10th the size of the USA.  What percentage of the country's population live in 3 cites?  You're correct, there's no comparison.  Australia is much more strict in their immigration than the USA.  They don't put up with people causing trouble in neighborhoods like they do here in the USA.  If this country treated criminals like Australia does, the ACLU would go crazy.

Evidently neither neither of you read Shona1's comment.  Communication is difficult.  Don't make it any more difficult than it is.  I feel I must make it clear I wasn't talking about an immigrant as I wonder if you will read or understand this comment any better than you did the last one.  No offense if Shona isn't talking about living in Australia compared to the USA.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
13.1.36  sixpick  replied to  shona1 @13.1.34    6 years ago

Thanks shona1.  You're correct, there is no comparison between the USA and Australia.  I believe that nearly 80% of your population is contained in 3 cities.  The metropolitan population of NYC is nearly as populated as the entire country of Australia.  You're right.  It's apples to oranges.  And as far as I have been told, Australians don't put up with all this weird thought processes so many do here in the USA.  We like to give them room to burn things down and destroy things.  Not so in Australia as I understand it.  Australia doesn't  have all the advocates trying to defend even the worst of the lot like we do here.  Trouble makers are treated like trouble makers in Australia, not so here, they have all kinds of support, plus I would imagine the MSM hopefully is a little more honest.

shona1
PhD Quiet
13.1.37  shona1  replied to  sixpick @13.1.36    6 years ago

Evening Six...We have quite a few cities..Perth in Western Australia, Darwin in the Northern Territory, Adelaide in South Australia, Brisbane in Queensland, Sydney in New South Wales, Melbourne in Victoria, Hobart in Tasmania and our Capital city Canberra in the A.C.T (Australian Capital Territory)...So yes 80% of the population can be found in these cities...."Political correctness" is also creeping in here as well, so you are not alone.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.1.39  Tessylo  replied to  GaJenn78 @13.1.17    6 years ago
'and I carry when I go to nursing school and when I go to the grocery store..' 

Oh you're one of those?  Please let me know what nursing school you go to and which grocery store you go to so I can stay, far, far away.

Thanks!

'You will NEVER see me being someone on TV who said "I wish I could have done more".....I will be the one on TV saying I saved "X" amount of people. Maybe one of those people saved was you or someone in your family..... I'm the person in the grocery store you want to say hi to'

So you'll know without fail who the good guys are and the bad guys are?  Riiiiigghhhtt!  

No thanks!  I'd like to keep as far away as folks like you as I am able.  

If someone steps on something like bubble wrap that sounds like a gun shot - I guess they better duck for cover before you blow them away.  

JBB
Professor Principal
13.2  JBB  replied to  CB @13    6 years ago

I believe there are many more than you know who share your despair. Each time we collectively suffer another of these seemingly endless tragedies we are told the same things, "Do not even think about politicising this tragedy", "There is nothing we can do about it anyway", and, "Get over it Sissys! Second Amendment Rules". We told to utterly dismiss all of that, "Well Regulated militia", stuff and to basically get over it until the next time and then rinse and repeat. There are thousands of heavily armed overly medicated nutters out there on point waiting for "Them" to come get their guns. We are all always just one random heavily armed stranger's mental breakdown away from becoming victims ourselves. One thing is for sure, being the most armed nation in the world has not made us any safer. Also, no matter how some may try to frame it there just are not that many knife wealding mass killers. Nobody ever killed a fifty people and wounded hundred more with a damn hammer. There are more guns than People in this country and so obviously a lot of those guns are not being accounted for and nobody know how to put that genie back into its bottle...

CB
Professor Principal
13.2.1  CB  replied to  JBB @13.2    6 years ago
nobody know how to put that genie back into its bottle

I am sitting here trying to remember what we were doing on the whole as a country just before all these "concentrated" shootings took hold. Perhaps before say, Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

A student says the shooter used to come to school with guns.  He is seen on social media displaying guns.  My guess is he has some kind of obsession with guns. Not that hard to figure out. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
15.2  GaJenn78  replied to  JohnRussell @15    6 years ago

That is not what they said.....Be honest!!!! I AM LISTENING TO THE OTHER STUDENTS NOW!!!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @15    6 years ago

hell John , I use to go to school (HS) with a gun in my car, use to go hunting before school, go to school , then go hunting again after school, but that was a number of years ago, AND nothing was thought ill of it .

I do have to wonder what has changed in society from then to today that made such a drastic difference.

JBB
Professor Principal
15.3.1  JBB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3    6 years ago
what has changed in society from then to today that made such a drastic difference.

Let's guess. The advent of RW AM talk radio, Fox News and internet chat forums. Nah! It was video gaming...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
15.3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3    6 years ago

I would say a few things have changed. 1) mental health care is either non existent or extremely expensive in this country. 2) we have become a society dependent on drugs to solve all of our problems. 3) there are almost as many firearms in the US as there are people. And 4) social media.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
15.3.3  sixpick  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3    6 years ago
I use to go to school (HS) with a gun in my car, use to go hunting before school, go to school , then go hunting again after school

That describes exactly what I use to do growing up.  I didn't have to ask my parents permission.  It was just a part of my childhood growing up.  I don't recall anyone doing anything like what is happening today.  I think we have societal problems we didn't have back then. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Thrawn 31 @15.3.2    6 years ago

Thrawn , I think your response is closer to the truth than JBBs so I will simply disregard his as partisan hackery designed to illicite a response.

yes the difference is the pharms being used today as verses what was done back when I was younger to bend the mind to what is suppose to be the norm , mothers little helpers and such . Another problem as I stated further down is the system not always getting the information it needs to work  which is why I states some of the things I said there , some of the possible solutions already exist IF and a pretty big if at that all the I's are dotted and the Ts are crossed , the laws on denying any innumerated right , are pretty simple , and already exist , it just seems no one wants to go through the required motions that could save lives.

some laws might have to be changed , but no new ones are really required to effect the same results .

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
15.3.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.4    6 years ago

Personally I think that solving this problem will need to be an effort across multiple fronts. And IMO one of those fronts needs to be addressing the second amendment. Aside from that though, there needs to be an increased effort to help people without just throwing them on a pill regiment, and we seriously need social media companies to really start cracking down on bullying (and probably adding more parental controls). This rise in mass shootings seems to be a combination of things IMO, but in order to address the problem we need to be willing to make adjustments to all the contributing factors. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Thrawn 31 @15.3.5    6 years ago

by addressing the 2nd , you mean changing it , which requires another constitutional amendment to do so , and there are 2 ways to do that , through congress, which is doubtful since it wouldn't pass ratification by the required number of states , and a constitutional convention which faces the same problem of ratification ,AND the added peril that the entire constitution could be thrown out in convention just as the articles of confederation were , don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't trust the jackwagons we have now a days in a convention setting, I'm more likely to trust an idiot , with a sledgehammer and a watermelon.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
15.3.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.6    6 years ago

I know how to change or replace a constitutional amendment, hence why I have given up on this situation ever being resolved.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Thrawn 31 @15.3.7    6 years ago

You can give up if you want , me I will continue to work towards what I think is sensible , attainable measures , such as some of the ones I mentioned and others I m considering ,such as making sure that all relevant information is submitted to the NICS database so the system can work , grandpa always said you put crap info into a computer , you get crap info out so don't be surprised if the info is bad, and he died before the PC age. another as I mentioned is relooking at Hippa and what drs are allowed to do now , vs what they could be reporting for use to use due process and the existing legal system we have to help mitigate the issue , it wont be solved overnight or stop immediately, its taken a while for this to come around , it will take a while to come up with anything that will fix it sufficiently staying within the frame work of the Constitution .

It has been my pleasure having an intelligent , and polite discussion and discourse with you on the matter even if we cannot agree on how to come to a favorable outcome.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

A 19-year-old former student has been identified as the suspect in a shooting at a Florida high school that has left at least 17 people dead and several others wounded.

Nikolas Cruz, who was previously identified as a threat to students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was arrested after the shooting, the Miami Herald reports. He was expelled from the school for disciplinary reasons, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a press conference. Israel said they are examining “very, very disturbing” social media posts they have uncovered. Some of those posts, confirmed by Heavy, show Cruz  holding weapons and talking about shooting targets as therapy.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
16.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @16    6 years ago

anyone else go to the link and notice the orange tip on one of the "handguns", those are usually associated with airsoft guns. and a little further down another hand gun is of a pellet gun design I myself had until my ex son in law took it apart and lost some pieces.

kids over 18 , so no doubt he was able to pass the NICS for the assortment of long guns .

LynneA
Freshman Silent
17  LynneA    6 years ago

Our society has already spoken relative to gun ownership, weapon type, magazine type, mental health privacy and all the talking points that we discuss after each and every mass shooting.

Screening currently done at airports and government buildings will have to be implemented in all schools across America.  Discussions regarding National Security should focus on our children and monies spent to protect same.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  LynneA @17    6 years ago
Screening currently done at airports and government buildings will have to be implemented in all schools across America.

Why stop there? We start patting down 5 year olds as they come into school to see if they brought their Mac 10 that day. Maybe they have an AR-15 hidden in their lunch box. Oooo, here's a good one from the past, (Sandy Hook), arm all the teachers, I'm sure they're all stable enough not to start shooting kids.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
17.1.2  LynneA  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.1    6 years ago

Did you have a better solution to offer? 

We lived in an armed society, mental health issues abound ~ I'm sick of "talking" about these two issues as our children are being slaughtered over and over again. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  LynneA @17.1.2    6 years ago
I'm sick of "talking" about these two issues as our children are being slaughtered over and over again.

So am I. I've seen this happen since Columbine, I lived in Colorado when that happened and, had friends who had kids in that school that day. I wish I did have a solution but, it isn't my job to provide one, it is up to the people in Congress to do that but, they don't seem interested in doing that since most of them get money from the gun lobby for their political campaigns. Let's start there.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XDm9mm @17.1.3    6 years ago
As the VAST preponderance of these mass shooters, Columbine, Aurora, Sandy Hook to name a few, were all using, had a history of using or abusing or were withdrawing from SSRI's (psychotropic drugs) which all have as side effects depression, suicidal and/or homicidal tendencies, what exactly is being done to address that issue? Granted, while the VAST majority of people using these drugs have great results and they are a life changer for them, I will submit that there is a very miniscule number that suffer the worst of the side effects and we as a society suffer the consequence of that.

Considering that Ronald Reagan closed the facility's that dealt with people in need of those same drugs and, provided them housing until they were stable enough to return to society or, kept them under lock and, key when they weren't able to be in society maybe you should look at the conservatives for the answer.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
17.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  XDm9mm @17.1.3    6 years ago

Many people have brought up the decline in our mental health care system as a reason these things keep happening. Congress just has no interest in funding such a silly thing. 

LynneA
Freshman Silent
17.1.7  LynneA  replied to  XDm9mm @17.1.3    6 years ago

Not unlike gun rights, addressing the drug issue is fraught with privacy rights.  These two key components of mass murders are surrounded by protections given to us as American's.

While some don't want to be told what weapons they can own/operate, others don't want government meddling in mental health issues and imposing restrictions on that population.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
17.1.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.1.4    6 years ago

WTF?!!! Not YOUR job to come up with or provide a solution? Are you a citizen with all the rights that come with that? if so then you also have a responsibility to try to think of a solution to pass on to those you elect to represent you and your state in congress for consideration.

Keep in mind any contrived solution must pass the constitutional smell test though , that means it HAS to involve due process of existing and future law , that it must not infringe on any of the rights already enjoyed by those that choose to exersize those right as long as they abide by the laws already in existence.

The only solutions I HAVE seen since columbine is punative in nature against those inclined to not break the law already , but could be forced to because of disagreement with what they see as a law that does absolutely nothing to solve any of the problems they are suppose to address.

Now if you want to say that unfortunately you , like myself cannot come up with a solution that covers all the criteria I mentioned , I can accept that , because I cant think of anything either , but to say its not your job?  if your a citizen and enjoy the rights of citizenship, that dog doesn't hunt .

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @17.1.8    6 years ago
Now if you want to say that unfortunately you , like myself cannot come up with a solution that covers all the criteria I mentioned , I can accept that , because I cant think of anything either , but to say its not your job?

What I have come to is this. I've been around longer than the Columbine shooting and, the same things we are talking about now, we talked about then and, guess what, nothing has happened in all that time, NOTHING, we talk and, talk and, talk and, do nothing then when something like that happens we offer sympathy to the family's and, act all sad over it happening then we talk and, talk and, talk and, talk and, nothing happens, nothing changes. You come with something that will save lives, other than "good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns" please, tell your Congressman.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
17.1.10  sixpick  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.1.5    6 years ago

Maybe we shouldn't. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
17.1.11  sixpick  replied to  LynneA @17.1.7    6 years ago

You said a mouth full there Lynne.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
17.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  LynneA @17    6 years ago

Our society has spoken, and the consensus is that this is perfectly okay. As a society we have no problem with mass shootings being a daily occurance. We have no problem with kids being blown away at school. I mean we have done exactly nothing to prevent these sort of things, so clearly we are perfectly okay with it. Honestly I just wish everyone would stop with the "thoughts and prayers" bullsh!t. That is really the most annoying part about all of it. If everyone who said that garbage really cared they would be pushing to do something to stop these sorts of incidents. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
17.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  XDm9mm @17.2.1    6 years ago

I truly hardly care anymore. The country has spoken, and this sort of thing is a okay. I personally would ban all semi and fully automatic weapons, period. And yes, I know exactly what those terms mean. But that will never happen, and instead we seem to always do the opposite, so at this point f*(k it. Your kids get blown away at school, that's called freedom baby, quit whining. Honestly, this sort of thing is hardly even newsworthy anymore, they may as well just include it in the morning traffic report. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XDm9mm @17.2.1    6 years ago
So, besides denigrating those offering condolences, exactly what SOLUTION do you propose?

What is your solution 9mm?

LynneA
Freshman Silent
17.2.4  LynneA  replied to  Thrawn 31 @17.2    6 years ago

I agree, society has spoken.  My metal detector and x-ray scenario on it's face seem absurd, but I've yet to hear any idea that will help protect our children once they enter school buildings.

Reading your words expressing you no longer care grieves my very being.  Do you not have any family members...children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren any young people attending school?

A parents worse nightmare is burying a child, many on this sight can attest.  Every dead child stirs the core I've lived with for 20 years...I will never accept this as our norm, continuing to look for solutions is the responsibility of every American.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
17.2.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  LynneA @17.2.4    6 years ago

I have 2 daughters that will be starting school within the next 2 years, and sadly I am a tad bit afraid to send them. But I have also accepted the reality of this country, no one cares. Sure if they were murdered at school I would be wrecked and do everything I possibly could to kill the person who did it (assuming they didn't take the bitch way out), but I would also accept that no one else cares. Their deaths would be entirely meaningless. They would just be blood for the tree of liberty in the minds of some people. It is f&*king sick, but that is America. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
17.2.6  Skrekk  replied to  LynneA @17.2.4    6 years ago
Reading your words expressing you no longer care grieves my very being.  Do you not have any family members...children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren any young people attending school?

You missed the snark, but he's expressing the reality of America.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
17.2.7  LynneA  replied to  Thrawn 31 @17.2.5    6 years ago

The school would love to have you on the PTA...how about a School Board position?  We can impact the school lives of our children through involvement.  I was active in the school system with two daughters and one granddaughter.  Did they always want my voice...no, but they did work for me and every other taxpayer.  Like any other system, if you agree with them they love your input yet push back hard when you don't.  Stand fast. 

LynneA
Freshman Silent
17.2.8  LynneA  replied to  Skrekk @17.2.6    6 years ago

Evidently I did.  Reality of today doesn't have to be the reality of tomorrow. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
17.2.9  MrFrost  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.2.3    6 years ago
What is your solution 9mm?

Their solution is always the same, "more guns!!!", which is clearly working REALLY well.. /sarc

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
17.2.10  Thrawn 31  replied to  LynneA @17.2.7    6 years ago

Oh this is way beyond school boards. The solution to this problems lies at the constitutional amendment level, and there appears to be absolutely no motivation in the country to address it. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
17.2.11  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.2.3    6 years ago

How about this as a start? revisit HIPPA, allow Drs that prescribe some of the drugs that have some of the more nefarious side effect have to report that , if needed due to an adverse reaction it can be brought before the courts using existing laws on the books to temporarily deny that 2nd amendment right ( that would have helped in columbine , Aurora and a few other instances ) , how about making sure that every and all convictions even if they are plead out to lesser crimes that would make one prohibited from ownership have to be reported to be included to the NICS, close the cracks , that might have stopped the gabby giffords incident .

Most schools already have an armed officer inschool dealing with truancy and problems that arise during the day (sadly the days of just sitting in the principals office until mom or dad come get you are over , now there is usually a school resourses officer on site . 

Metal detectors have been used forever even before these school shootings , but they are a sad reality and commentary on the times we live , but they do for the most part work. 

If the district or school , following the law decide to allow those teachers that are willing and capable to be armed  do so , what criteria is up to the school or district , training could follow that of the local LE departments and they would have to qualify right along side of them.

But all this , as common sense as it sounds , has been poopooed  by those of the total ban idea .

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.2.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @17.2.11    6 years ago
do so , what criteria is up to the school or district , training could follow that of the local LE departments and they would have to qualify right along side of them.

I have a problem with teachers carrying guns in school, unless of course they are willing to undergo a psych evaluation before hand and, after at different intervals. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
17.2.13  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.2.12    6 years ago

cant disagree with what you think that of course is up to the districts and the teachers themselves to decide if that's what is needed , and if that is something they would be willing to do arming the teachers of course as I said , would be only if the teacher volunteered it themselves , no district can make them , but they can allow it under the rules they set.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
17.2.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @17.2.13    6 years ago

Being a teacher who worked in one of the worst crime neighborhoods (at the time) in Brooklyn and knows what it's like to remove two live guns from her students, I have a huge issue with teachers being armed. First of all, we are teachers, not sharp shooters. The risk for accidental shooting is so great when panic sets in with the students. They are the greatest X factor. 

I'll tell you a little story. I had a whole class freak out and run around, uncontrolably freaked out because a mouse jumped out of a closet Imagine a kid shooting and your students freaking out? In the mayam, what if you shoot one of your students?

Sorry, this is a job best left to those who are trained for it.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
17.2.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @17.2.5    6 years ago

One of the reasons I really don't want grandchildren

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
17.2.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @17.2.14    6 years ago

I think teachers could be trained, especially with the enhanced training they're doing in Arkansas now.

But...and this is yuge....the school will need to advertise that its teachers are packing. Otherwise, you get a shooter, the shooter is going to get off at least one round before anybody can stop him. Armed teachers should be treated as a deterrent not just another layer of security.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
18  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Meh, whatever. Just an average day in the US.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
18.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Thrawn 31 @18    6 years ago
Meh, whatever. Just an average day in the US.

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right.  I HATE that you are right, but...you're right.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
18.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @18.1    6 years ago

Trust me, I hate being right about this as well. I kinda hate myself for becoming so calloused, but after a certain amount of time, when you hear about these things day after day, how can you possibly still feel awful and shocked each and every time? Honestly, with this one, I was upset that they interrupted Olympic coverage for this, that is how much this constant sh!t has worn on me. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
18.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  Thrawn 31 @18.1.1    6 years ago

We get the government we deserve.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
18.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Skrekk @18.1.2    6 years ago

100% agree. Which is why as the US descends into an autocracy (Trump won't be the autocrat, but he is sowing the seeds) I will simply say we deserved it. When it happens, we will vote for it just like the Germans did in 1933.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
19  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

FL has the death penalty and this was premeditated murder one.  I hope they fast track this pos and fry him like a fritter.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
19.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @19    6 years ago

Yep, so we can read about an identical story 2 weeks from now. America, the nation of problem solvers. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
19.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Thrawn 31 @19.1    6 years ago

Freedumb!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
20  MrFrost    6 years ago

This is just one example, Rick Scott has loosened the gun laws in Florida to the extreme. Florida is the new gun violence capital of the USA. Today? The result of those loose gun laws. 

But I am sure that Rick Scott will say what he said after the Pulse nightclub shooting... "We should pray". Great idea Rick Scott, that really worked, you pathetic idiot. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
20.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @20    6 years ago

Saw Rick Scott on tv tonight. That is one weird dude. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
20.2  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @20    6 years ago

'This is just one example, Rick Scott has loosened the gun laws in Florida to the extreme. Florida is the new gun violence capital of the USA. Today? The result of those loose gun laws'

He said it was evil - thanks to that piece of shit, Rick Scott.  How much has the NRA lined his pockets?  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
21  MrFrost    6 years ago

Mass shooting list for 2016. This is page one of nine. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
21.1  Skrekk  replied to  MrFrost @21    6 years ago

I'm sure that thoughts and prayers will help.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
21.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Skrekk @21.1    6 years ago

To feel better? Sure. But as a solution it's completely worthless. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
21.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  MrFrost @21.1.1    6 years ago

What?! You mean Congress' solution hasn't been working?!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
21.2  sixpick  replied to  MrFrost @21    6 years ago

And not a one of those laws has anything to do with this shooting.  So if he had never passed them it would not have made any difference in this situation.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
21.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  sixpick @21.2    6 years ago

Thanks, you just proved my point. This shooting was completely legal. A real comfort for the parents im sure.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
22  MrFrost    6 years ago

A list of mass shootings since 1982...

One thing that is obvious is that every year, there are more and more and more.. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
23  Skrekk    6 years ago

There's a children's prayer which needs to be updated for the modern era:

"If I die before recess I pray the NRA will clean up the mess."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
23.1  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @23    6 years ago

The NRA had as much to do with this as Muslims have with pork.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
23.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @23.1    6 years ago

Yeah, because doing everything they can to make guns as easily available as possible played exactly zero role in this or any other similar incidents. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
23.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @23.1    6 years ago

So you're going to leave this mess for the school janitor to clean up?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
23.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @23.1.1    6 years ago

Finally you got something right,

Congrats!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
23.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @23.1.2    6 years ago

Well, it ain't the NRA's fault!

Why and HOW would they "clean this mess up"?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
23.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @23.1.4    6 years ago
Why and HOW would they "clean this mess up"?

Grab a bucket and start scrubbing.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
23.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @23.1.5    6 years ago

Why?

Have you?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
23.1.7  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @23.1.6    6 years ago

I've already done my part by updating that childhood prayer.    Thoughts and prayers, right?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
23.1.8  sixpick  replied to  Texan1211 @23.1    6 years ago
The NRA had as much to do with this as Muslims have with pork.

This gives them a day off from wearing pussy hats, protesting bathrooms, gay wedding cakes, transgenders and any other thing that is important to them, not prayers of course from well meaning people, but while their children are being bullied in school by students who have the right to do it because they have had it tough all their lives and are victims themselves and making them behave in school or at home is not really permissible because these same people don't think the rule of law is as important as all those things mentioned above.  Only at this time they want to make like it's the government's fault this has happened and it is the people who promote family values and support their children by making them take responsibility for their actions and trying to set good examples for them to strive for.

We have a sick society.  We've always had guns.  I grew up with guns.  Many people grew up with guns.  MSM, Hollywood, Rappers, constant whining about things much less important and a total dependence on the government to take care of us, making every decision for us, being the parent of our children and failing to take responsibility for ourselves or our children without consequence is one of the biggest problems this society has today.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
23.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @23.1.7    6 years ago

Do others' thoughts and prayers pose some type of danger to you?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
24  MrFrost    6 years ago

IMG_20171005_131904.jpg

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
24.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  MrFrost @24    6 years ago

Lol, perfect.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @24    6 years ago

Democrats:

Abortion? On demand at any time for any person and any reason

Birth control?? On demand and free!

Gay marriage? Any time, any place!

Guns??

BAN THEM ALL NOW!!!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
24.2.1  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2    6 years ago
Gay marriage? Any time, any place!

Sounds a lot like marriage between straights.   I can see why you're upset.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @24.2.1    6 years ago

Way to really miss the point!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
24.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2    6 years ago
Abortion? On demand at any time for any person and any reason

Doesn't exist either. Your hyperbole is embarrassing...at best. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @24.2.3    6 years ago

Sorry, but perhaps you should read this:

The Democratic Party Is More Extreme on Abortion Than Ever
time.com/4424971/democrats-extreme-abortion

Fast forward to the 2016 Democratic platform. Long gone is the goal of making abortion “rare,” along with the idea of “respect[ing] the individual conscience of ...

Democratic Platform Topples Consensus on Abortion
dailysignal.com/2016/07/25/how-democrats-came-to-embrace-taxpayer...

On the issue of abortion, the Democratic Party's 2016 platform is the strongest pro-choice platform ever.
Even Pro-Choicers Find Democratic Abortion Platform Radical
freebeacon.com/.../pro-choicers-find-dem-abortion-platform-radical

A new poll finds that the Democratic Party platform on abortion is at odds not only with the vast majority of voters but also with pro-choice Americans.
How the Democratic platform betrays millions of the party ...
www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-day-and-camosy-democratic...

Jul 25, 2016 · The abortion plank in the 2016 Democratic platform effectively marginalizes the voices of 21 million pro-life Democrats. It means the party that is supposedly The abortion plank in the 2016 Democratic platform effectively marginalizes the voices of 21 million pro-life Democrats.
Democratic Senator Says Proposed Democratic Platform on ...
www.weeklystandard.com/democratic-senator-says-proposed-democratic...

According to a draft released last week by the the Democratic National Committee, the 2016 Democratic platform will for the first time explicitly call for unlimited ...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
24.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2.4    6 years ago

It's legal, deal with it. You manage your vagina, let others manage theirs. In some states, they will give you a gun for FREE if you buy a car, no regs needed, but a woman getting an abortion? Oh HELL no!!!!! That's some sick shit. No wonder red states are shooting galleries. Christ, can't even feel safe in a church anymore....but hey, gotta have more guns!!!!!! 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
24.2.6  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2.4    6 years ago
The Democratic Party Is More Extreme on Abortion Than Ever

Sounds like you're trying to draw attention to the fact that conservatives only care about life when it's still in the womb.    Once it's out running around on its own they couldn't care less.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @24.2.5    6 years ago

Well.

First off, I'm not anti-abortion. I do think it is a piss-poor form of contraceptive. So I'm not "managing" anyone's vagina.

"It's legal, deal with it"?

We are dealing with it. Apparently much better than the people who say that while trying to pass more restrictive laws on a legal right.

Guns are legal. Deal with it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @24.2.6    6 years ago

I would love to see what you are reading. It must be pretty good to lead you to believe anything you just wrote.

Anyone can plainly see I wrote absolutely nothing about what conservatives are doing or saying. And in the future, remember that when I want to "say" something I most certainly will, and you will never have to guess at what I mean--it will be plain to see.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
24.2.9  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2.7    6 years ago
Guns are legal. Deal with it.

That's what I tell all the school kids.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @24.2.9    6 years ago

Talking to lots of little kids in your town, are you?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
24.2.11  sixpick  replied to  MrFrost @24.2.5    6 years ago

Well, most people have gone along complaining what the government hasn't done for them this entire article, but now you've changed it to what you think the government is doing to you.  Your meme above is ridiculous.  Please, all those who don't define themselves as Liberals, please tell me which one of the things mentioned in Mr Frost meme do you really give a crap about.  I bet none. 

Birth Contro:.  I don't recall anyone wanting to ban birth control.

Abortion:  I know there are some who would want to ban abortion, but the vast majority of people I know who don't define themselves as Liberal don't want to ban abortion.  They would like to encourage a little empathy for the fetus or unborn baby hoping we will maintain feelings for the value of life, something that seems to have little value in this sick society we have today, per Valentine's Day Massacre.  But there is no ban on abortion.

Gay marriage:  I don't know anyone who doesn't define themselves as Liberal who really gives a rats ass who you marry, but some of these same people may not believe it is right, but you have the right and they accept that.  They don't accept your demand of them to rejoice in it.

Guns:  The only people who want to ban guns are people who want the government to take control of their lives, raise their children and be the answer to everything in their lives.  Giving up my gun is the craziest thing I can think of doing living in this sick society we live in today.  I'm not going to go out and kill anyone, but I'm sure as hell going to want something to protect me from those who would have that desire.

The problem isn't the guns.  It's the society we live in today.  Too many antidepressants being prescribed, too many young people not being held responsible for their actions from early childhood until adulthood, too many parents who aren't providing loving families for their children to grow up in, too many children being bullied by thugs in school, building resentment in the victims of such thuggery and when decent people try to criticize or do anything about it, too many people making excuses for such actions that could make places safer and provide a happier life for all involved.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
24.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  sixpick @24.2.11    6 years ago

Project much there?  crazy

Tessylo
Professor Principal
24.2.13  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2.10    6 years ago
'Talking to lots of little kids in your town, are you?'

Whoosh!!!!!!!  Right over your head there.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
24.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2    6 years ago

'Abortion? On demand at any time for any person and any reason'

'Doesn't exist either. Your hyperbole is embarrassing...at best.'

That's always the case.  

Sounds like you have a problem with on demand and free birth control.  Birth control should be readily available and free - with a doctor's prescription - and also use a back up method.  

Abortion is legal and it's none of your business what reason.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @24.2.14    6 years ago

I am not anti-abortion--I just consider it a piss-poor method of contraception.

We will continue to disagree about birth control being free. You see, I think responsible adults should be prepared to pay their own way in life---including bc. Why should everyone pay for the pleasure of others? Gee, I like the internet. Does that mean you should pay for mine?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
24.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @24.2.13    6 years ago

I am sorry, but your lack of recognition of sarcasm is hardly my concern.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
24.2.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Skrekk @24.2.1    6 years ago

And as many times as you want!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
24.2.18  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2.15    6 years ago
'We will continue to disagree about birth control being free. You see, I think responsible adults should be prepared to pay their own way in life---including bc. Why should everyone pay for the pleasure of others? Gee, I like the internet. Does that mean you should pay for mine?'  Your usual nonsense.  

Better to have access to free birth control - less unwanted pregnancies, less abortion.  I believe it was in Colorado where birth control was free and easily accessible and that led to a drop in unwanted pregnancies, abortions, and even STDs.

'Why should everyone pay for the pleasure of others?'  I get it - you don't want anyone having sex unless you're in control right?  Got it!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
24.2.19  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @24.2.15    6 years ago
'I am not anti-abortion--I just consider it a piss-poor method of contraception.'  That same tired nonsense.  

Name one person that uses abortion as a method of contraception.  You can't.  Just as I thought.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
25  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

h, you think the NRA will shell out a dime for the clean up of their policies? 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
25.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Thrawn 31 @25    6 years ago

how is this the NRAs fault?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
25.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  GaJenn78 @25.1    6 years ago
how is this the NRAs fault?

The NRA has been lobbying Congress to suppress responsible gun laws for decades and, they have campaigned against politicians who have advocated for responsible gun laws for decades as well.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
25.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  GaJenn78 @25.1    6 years ago

Was supposed to be a response to 23. But since you asked, they are constantly pressuring politicians to make guns as widely available, to essentially anyone, as possible. So they are not innocent in this. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
25.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.1    6 years ago

So because an organization lobbies Congress legally, they become responsible for criminal acts committed by others? 

Only in Liberal La-La Land!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
25.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  GaJenn78 @25.1    6 years ago

It isn't.

But liberals have to blame everything on SOMEONE or SOMETHING instead of blaming, oh, I don't know--the FREAKING CRIMINALS!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
25.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @25.1.3    6 years ago
So because an organization lobbies Congress legally, they become responsible for criminal acts committed by others?

When they lobby to prevent laws that could prevent crime then yes, they are responsible.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
25.1.6  GaJenn78  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.1    6 years ago

Honestly, what is a "responsible" gun law? 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
25.1.7  GaJenn78  replied to  Texan1211 @25.1.3    6 years ago

As can be said for numerous lobbyist...They all do it. You can pick your sin, poison, etc... I choose the 2nd...a responsible one

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
25.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @25.1.3    6 years ago

When that organization actually has a significant amount of influence on members of congress regarding a specific issue and uses that to push a specific agenda, abso-f*(king-lutely. They are 100% a part of the problem, and 100% have some of that blood on their hands. Legally are they liable, no, ofr course not. But objectively and morally, without a doubt. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
25.1.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @25.1.4    6 years ago

I blame the criminals, absolutely. I also blame their enablers. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
25.1.10  GaJenn78  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.5    6 years ago

What laws would have prevented this tragedy?

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
25.1.11  GaJenn78  replied to  Thrawn 31 @25.1.9    6 years ago

who was his enabler? 

lib50
Professor Silent
25.1.12  lib50  replied to  GaJenn78 @25.1.6    6 years ago
Honestly, what is a "responsible" gun law?

I don't know, maybe at least as regulated as a uterus or using your right to vote.  Did you know Russia pours all kinds of money into the NRA?

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
25.1.13  GaJenn78  replied to  Thrawn 31 @25.1.8    6 years ago

Legal gun owners do NOT own this tragedy.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
25.1.14  Thrawn 31  replied to  GaJenn78 @25.1.13    6 years ago

I didn't say they were, I said the organization that is the NRA is partly responsible. The people who decide what campaigns to fund and what legislation to push or oppose. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
25.1.15  Thrawn 31  replied to  GaJenn78 @25.1.11    6 years ago

The NRA, the GOP, basically anyone that thinks guns should be easily available. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
25.1.16  GaJenn78  replied to  lib50 @25.1.12    6 years ago

This makes no sense.... responsible gun laws and a regulated uterus??? Last time I checked, I could get an abortion without a background check, no questions asked for about $300 and no real names used. When I bought my S&W 9mm Shield, I had an extensive background check on BOTH my last names (maiden and married) and I could not pick it up for 2 weeks and I am in a RED state! How are these two comparable?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
25.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.5    6 years ago

Nope, that is where you are wrong.

All Americans have the right to petition Congress to redress grievances.

That is what the NRA does, legally.

heck, I could petition Congress to redress my grievance that I don't have a million bucks.

What Congress CHOOSES to do in addressing grievances is the SOLE responsibility of CONGRESS.

I suggest if you don't like current laws, petition your Representative. Have you done so? And what did your rep do about it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
25.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @25.1.14    6 years ago

Using your "impeccable" logic, then any crime committed by any illegal alien in a sanctuary city or county or state is at least partly the fault of anyone who voted for the lawmakers who decided to vote to make their city or county or state a sanctuary for illegal aliens.

So are you for blaming San Francisco officials for Kate Steinle's murder?

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
25.1.20  Rex Block  replied to  Thrawn 31 @25.1.15    6 years ago

They don't think that.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
25.1.21  sixpick  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.5    6 years ago

The NRA lobbies for the people who want to keep their guns, you know the people who are law abiding citizens and aren't out there killing people, but want their guns to protect themselves.  So it's not the NRA who is motivating the people, but the people who are motivating the NRA, somewhat like Planned Parenthood, the people who want to kill babies right up until they show their heads without any regulations against it.  It's the people who are motivating Planned Parenthood, not the other way around.

Now this is somewhat inaccurate, because the NRA gets money from the people who want them to represent them just like Planned Parenthood gets money from people who support them.  Both the NRA and Planned Parenthood become more financially enriched by being in the position they are representing their supporters. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
25.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @25.1.18    6 years ago
'Nope, that is where you are wrong.'

Nope, that is where you are wrong.

The gop and the NRA have so much blood on their hands.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
25.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  sixpick @25.1.21    6 years ago
'somewhat like Planned Parenthood, the people who want to kill babies right up until they show their heads without any regulations against it.'

same old lies from the same old liar.  There are many regulations and no woman aborts their baby in the last trimester unless the woman's life is at stake.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
25.1.24  It Is ME  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.1    6 years ago
The NRA has been lobbying Congress to suppress responsible gun laws

Please do Explain "Responsible Gun Laws".

I follow the law .... what makes others NOT ?

From what I have seen, read and been through....we have BUNCHES and BUNCHES and BUNCHES and BUNCHES and BUNCHES of laws ALREADY on the books about guns.

Maybe be truthful and say you want ALL guns BANNED ? 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
25.1.25  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  It Is ME @25.1.24    6 years ago

The Brady Act, Obama's restriction to those who are mentally ill

Seeking tighter controls over firearm purchases, the Obama administration is pushing to ban Social Security beneficiaries from owning guns if they lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, a move that could affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others.
The push is intended to bring the Social Security Administration in line with laws regulating who gets reported to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, which is used to prevent gun sales to felons, drug addicts, immigrants in the country illegally and others.

which Trump got rid of as soon as he could. Obama's restriction could have prevented at least three of the mass shootings we have had in the past year.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
25.1.26  It Is ME  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.25    6 years ago
Obama's restriction could have prevented at least three of the mass shootings we have had in the past year.

The last 3 shooters were on S.S. ?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
25.1.27  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.25    6 years ago

if you say the brady act, most people will think of the assault weapons bill of the Clinton era, which sunsetted on its own accord and didn't have the votes to be continued , and it didn't have the votes because by the time it did sunset , there were many work arounds  the defined banned guns and accessories  and studies had shown it actually had no effect.

as for the bringing SSI in line , reason that was never implemented except in concept and possibly fiat , was it had no due process recourse for those affected .

things still have to pass the constitutionality smell test to be implemented , even if done by executive fiat, but to reverse executive fiat only takes the next admin to have a phone and a pen....

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
25.1.28  Skrekk  replied to  Tessylo @25.1.22    6 years ago
The gop and the NRA have so much blood on their hands.

It's time for another SNL ad for the perfume "Complicit."

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
26  bbl-1    6 years ago

The NRA and the GOP extends their thoughts and prayers.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
26.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  bbl-1 @26    6 years ago

Of course. Thoughts and prayers do so much to prevent these things. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
26.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @26    6 years ago

Anything wrong with thoughts and prayers?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
26.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @26.2    6 years ago

Depends upon the sincerity.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
26.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @26.2.1    6 years ago

And who is the judge of sincerity?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
26.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @26.2.2    6 years ago

?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
26.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @26.2    6 years ago
Anything wrong with thoughts and prayers?

Nope, but they won't stop the next mass shooting. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
26.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @26.2.4    6 years ago

No one has claimed otherwise that I know of.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
26.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @26.2    6 years ago
'Anything wrong with thoughts and prayers?'

They're just words that don't do dick

Texan1211
Professor Principal
26.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @26.2.6    6 years ago

So they don't hurt anyone or anything, and yet you still want to complain?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
26.2.8  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @26.2.7    6 years ago
So they don't hurt anyone or anything, and yet you still want to complain?

Sending thoughts and prayers are a good excuse to avoid taking action when you're in a position to do something.    They're literally the very least you can do.

I like how one surviving student put it yesterday after the Sociopath-in-Chief tweeted his fake and useless condolences:

I don't want your condolences you *effing* price of shit, my friends and teachers were shot. Multiple of my fellow classmates are dead. Do something instead of sending prayers. Prayers won't fix this. But Gun control will prevent it from happening again.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
26.2.9  It Is ME  replied to  Skrekk @26.2.8    6 years ago
But Gun control will prevent it from happening again.

Which "Gun Control" law that we DON'T already have....will fix it ?

And don't use the Gun Show loophole or internet crap as THE Fix ! That ain't the problem.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
26.2.10  Skrekk  replied to  It Is ME @26.2.9    6 years ago
Which "Gun Control" law that we DON'T already have....will fix it ?

How about one to prohibit white supremacists and other Trump supporters from owning guns?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
27  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

The NRA, the GOP, basically anyone that thinks guns should be easily available. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
27.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Thrawn 31 @27    6 years ago

legal guns are not as easily obtained as y'all think. I think this is grossly misconceived....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
27.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  GaJenn78 @27.1    6 years ago

They think gun stores are like 7-11's. just walk in, pick a gun, pay and walk out in 5 minutes flat.

Some liberals are weird--they seem to think that it is wrong to want to know who is voting and if they are a citizen by producing a picture ID obtainable quite easily but want to know who purchased what kind of gun, where they bought it, and when they purchased it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
27.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  GaJenn78 @27.1    6 years ago
'I think this is grossly misconceived....'

Well misconceive us why don't you?

Is that why domestic abusers are allowed to have guns (thanks to Donald Rump and the NRA)?  The gop and the NRA have so much blood on their hands.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
27.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @27.1.2    6 years ago
Is that why domestic abusers are allowed to have guns

Lie, lie, lie, lie, lie ,lie ..... that is all you seem to do.

No one with a current court order for domestic abuse or similar violent offenses against family members or others can legally own a gun.   Period

Please stop lying.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
27.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @27.1.2    6 years ago

Do you just make this crap up yourself, or are you being spoon-fed it?

1117. Restrictions on the Possession of Firearms by ...
www.justice.gov › … › Criminal Resource Manual 1101-1199

... Division to the United States Attorneys ... crime of domestic violence. GUN BAN FOR INDIVIDUALS CONVICTED OF A ... crime of domestic violence" ...
Domestic Abusers Are Barred From Gun Ownership, but Often ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/us/politics/domestic-abuse-guns...
Nov 06, 2017 · Domestic Abusers Are Barred From Gun ... between gun violence and domestic ... people across the country had been convicted of ...
Can I Own a Gun? Who in the US Can and Cannot - ThoughtCo
https://www.thoughtco.com/who-cannot-have-gund-in-america-4051068

... there are 9 categories of people who are prohibited by law from owning ... who are prohibited by law from owning guns in ... the term “domestic violence ...

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
30  Rex Block    6 years ago

They don't think that.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
31  MrFrost    6 years ago

We should call all high schools a uterus... Maybe then the right would be more willing to protect whats inside of them.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
32  deepwaterdon    6 years ago

What a shitty response! To say any more, would risking a CoH violation. Bullshit.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
34  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago

watch the cowering little scum bag stand before a judge.

that guy is not long for this world and he knows it.

I hope Florida kills him very painfully, and extremely slow... they should drag a day out of that project.