╌>

5 Things They Get Wrong About Christianity

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  306 comments

5 Things They Get Wrong About Christianity

Christianity is a great faith that has been integral to America’s success and so perhaps those of us that are Christians should spend a bit more time tackling the misperceptions about our faith that are out there.

1) Christianity Requires Us To Hate People We Disagree With: Christians have been instructed to love the sinner and hate the sin, which is good because we’re all sinners. Christians also frequently have rules we are supposed to follow that we wouldn’t have necessarily come up with ourselves. For example, if I were writing the rules, I’d very selfishly make it morally acceptable to have sex outside of marriage. Nevertheless, sex outside of marriage is a sin regardless of how I may feel about it. Those are just the rules, but there are no rules that require Christians to hate people who disagree with them. Quite the opposite, in fact. Are there Christians who spew venom and hatred at people they disagree with morally anyway? Of course, because being Christian doesn’t transcend being human and we humans often tend to be petty, hateful creatures. At least Christianity as it should be practiced tries to get us to transcend our hateful tendencies.

2) Christians Are Anti-Science: I’ve never actually met a Christian in America or, for that matter, anyone I think is fair to call “anti-science.” However, I have met a great number of people who feel very comfortable disregarding scientific evidence when it conflicts with their ideological agenda, policy goals or self-interest. Percentage wise, people of that sort seem to be all over the map with regard to their religion, lack of religion or ideology. Sometimes, people like to claim Christians are anti-science if they disbelieve in evolution. This is quite silly seeing as how if evolution exists, that was merely the manner which God chose to create and change life. As a Christian, I see no scientific conclusions from Big Bang on down that potentially conflict with my faith. The vast majority of us see it the same way.

3) Christians Want A Theocracy: In my 47 years on this earth, I have yet to ever actually meet a Christian who wants a theocracy although I have met quite a few who’ve correctly complained that the 1st Amendment is being incorrectly interpreted to be much more hostile to religion than the Founders ever intended. The idea that devout Christians would like to overthrow our republic to replace it with…oh, I don’t know, the Pope, Franklin Graham and Joel Osteen is quite ridiculous. On the other hand, it is true that Christians do quite often advocate for policies they agree with and the rights they believe they have under the Constitution. Every other group in America does exactly the same thing; so I see no reason why Christians should be any different.

4) Christians Are Intolerant: American culture has grown extremely intolerant and ironically many of the least tolerant people are the ones screaming the loudest about other people’s supposed intolerance. If Christians are supposed to be intolerant, I guess I’d have to ask, “Compared to whom?” There are violent riots on college campuses to stop alternate viewpoints from being heard. People on the Left and Right habitually disregard all comments from people who disagree with them. Simply holding a conservative view is enough to cost you your job in Hollywood or a newsroom. The mildest disagreements can produce oceans of abuse on social media. Maybe at one point in American history when Christians were dominant, you could claim that we were intolerant, but if anything, far too many Christians are willing to shrug off or ignore insults, offensive policies and even blasphemy. Christians may be TOO TOLERANT in comparison to the rest of American culture.

5) Christians Are Hypocrites: It’s always a great scandal when someone who professes to be a Christian cheats on his wife, gets caught with a prostitute or otherwise sins. That’s fine as far as it goes. In fact, we’d likely be better off if Americans were more scandalized by the immoral behavior of prominent people, Christian or otherwise. However, there seems to be some sort of expectation that Christians will never do that sort of thing. Christians do not have such expectations. We know better. We know we’re weak; we’re fallible and broken creatures embracing Christianity in an effort to get well. We will NEVER reach our goal. We will never be perfect like Christ. However, a man who shoots at the stars and falls short may still reach the moon. We can’t be perfect, but we can be better. If this is hypocrisy, be glad of it. The alternative, where people refuse to condemn horrible behavior on the grounds that they may harbor a desire to do such a thing in the darkest corners of their heart would lead to an abominable society that none of us want to live in.    https://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2018/02/17/5-things-they-get-wrong-about-christianity-n2450555

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“”I have yet to ever actually meet a Christian who wants a theocracy although I have met quite a few who’ve correctly complained that the 1st Amendment is being incorrectly interpreted to be much more hostile to religion than the Founders ever intended. The idea that devout Christians would like to overthrow our republic to replace it with…oh, I don’t know, the Pope, Franklin Graham and Joel Osteen is quite ridiculous. On the other hand, it is true that Christians do quite often advocate for policies they agree with and the rights they believe they have under the Constitution. Every other group in America does exactly the same thing; so I see no reason why Christians should be any different.”

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago
We know better. We know we’re weak; we’re fallible and broken creatures embracing Christianity in an effort to get well. We will NEVER reach our goal.

Appears that some bible thumpers are non-substance abusers.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

We are all sinners. We can never on our own reach that goal.  At the second coming that goal of being made spiritually well will be given to those who are saved.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.1    6 years ago

Yeah, good luck with that.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.1    6 years ago

So basically the fake xtian scum of the earth will be the ones saved because they're the only ones that are forgiven?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    6 years ago

All who turn to Jesus and believe in Him and love Him, accept His sacrifice on our behalf and repent of their sins will be saved.  It really is that simple. Sadly, many will hear and not believe in Him.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    6 years ago

Yawn, seriously, you have to come up with a better pitch. That is just so... recycled. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.6  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    6 years ago

Last week you said only the born again cult would be saved. Make up your mind.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @1.1.6    6 years ago

Jesus said that no one can come to the Father except through Him.  He also said that one had to be born again to be saved.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.7    6 years ago

Teavangelicals afterlife will be nothing more than kindling in hell.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.1.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    6 years ago
It really is that simple.

You said it, not us.  

Junior Participates
1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

Every time you puke up one of these pieces of crap, HA, you indict yourself as a hypocrite.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.2.1  Skrekk  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2    6 years ago

Or his paycheck is signed by Putin.

Junior Participates
1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago
On the other hand, it is true that Christians do quite often advocate for policies they agree with and the rights they believe they have under the Constitution.

And one of those "rights they believe they have under the Constitution" is the non-existent right to be the politically dominant one in society that entitles them to push their religion into every public square and matter.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago
I have yet to ever actually meet a Christian who wants a theocracy

David Barton and the Wallbuilders anyone?

although I have met quite a few who’ve correctly complained that the 1st Amendment is being incorrectly interpreted to be much more hostile to religion than the Founders ever intended.

How is the 1st Amendment being incorrectly interpreted exactly? Much less hostile towards Christians?

On the other hand, it is true that Christians do quite often advocate for policies they agree with and the rights they believe they have under the Constitution.

Or they advocate for special rights or try to deny equal rights to others.

Every other group in America does exactly the same thing; so I see no reason why Christians should be any different.”

Like whom? Or is that just an excuse? 

All who turn to Jesus and believe in Him and love Him, accept His sacrifice on our behalf and repent of their sins will be saved. It really is that simple. Sadly, many will hear and not believe in Him.

Too bad you can't actually prove that nonsense.

Jesus said that no one can come to the Father except through Him. He also said that one had to be born again to be saved.

So anyone of every religion or belief system that doesn't follow Jesus is screwed then, eh?

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
1.4.1  Michael_Knight  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4    6 years ago
Too bad you can't actually prove that nonsense.

It already has been proven. You just fail to see it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.4.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4    6 years ago

No.  All who lived before Jesus came to die for our sins who lived outside of Israel who lived by the best light they were individually shown will be saved.  The same applies to cultures since then where neither the old covenant or the new had Ben yet shown to them.  There will be countless saved from every part of the earth who lived by the best of what they knew.  The gospel has not yet reached all the world.  Those who live and die before exposure to it can also be saved.  It is only those who have heard the gospel message of Jesus Christ and then upon hearing it reject it in favor of their old traditions or no belief at all/ or sit on the fence that have no hope whatsoever of being saved. By the time of the 2nd coming all will have heard the message and no amount of outreach or persecution will change anyone’s mind one way or the other.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.3  Gordy327  replied to  Michael_Knight @1.4.1    6 years ago

What proof are you referring to? Mere belief is not proof.

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
1.4.4  Michael_Knight  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4.3    6 years ago

well you were referring to someone who was talking about Jesus,  and you were talking about proof.  I was just saying there is evidence for all of that.  Not sure what proof you were referring to.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.5  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.4.2    6 years ago
The gospel has not yet reached all the world.

BS! I doubt there is any place in the world (except for extremely isolated places or tribes) that has not heard of or is not familiar with Christianity.

Those who live and die before exposure to it can also be saved. It is only those who have heard the gospel message of Jesus Christ and then upon hearing it reject it in favor of their old traditions or no belief at all/ or sit on the fence that have no hope whatsoever of being saved. 

If people who don't hear about the gospel can be saved, then what's the point of telling them? By doing so, you're only setting them up for failure if they don't accept your brand of religious BS! So it's really the fault of Christians if someone is not "saved."

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.6  Gordy327  replied to  Michael_Knight @1.4.4    6 years ago
well you were referring to someone who was talking about Jesus, and you were talking about proof. I was just saying there is evidence for all of that. Not sure what proof you were referring to.

What "evidence?" 

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
1.4.7  Michael_Knight  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4.6    6 years ago

Depends on what your talking about.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.8  Gordy327  replied to  Michael_Knight @1.4.7    6 years ago
Depends on what your talking about.

Objective and empirical. What else?

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
1.4.9  Michael_Knight  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4.8    6 years ago

If you say so.. almighty then..

epistte
Junior Guide
1.4.10  epistte  replied to  Michael_Knight @1.4.1    6 years ago

Where and when has it been proven? If it did Christians wouldn't need faith and belief.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.11  Gordy327  replied to  Michael_Knight @1.4.9    6 years ago

What other king of valid evidence is there, if not objective and empirical? 

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
1.4.12  Michael_Knight  replied to  epistte @1.4.10    6 years ago
Where and when has it been proven? If it did Christians wouldn't need faith and belief.

Evidence, that is the better word.

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
1.4.13  DRHunk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.4.2    6 years ago

i chuckled a little. First time i actually heard someone post this nonsense.

If you were alive before Jesus or If you don't know about Jesus, just being a good person is enough to get into Heaven......BUT since you are living in a country that has things like books, living your life the best you know how just isn't good enough anymore, you have to worship me and tell me how cool I am and proclaim this Jesus guy is your savior...Really? ....F.U.

How about we all just continue living life the best we know how and treat everyone with respect and honesty...not for a reward, but because its the right thing to do.

If God was so awesome why do these other people who have not heard of Jesus have to wait, why has the Bible not magically appeared for them in the language of their choice, or why hasn't God sent angels to preach to all the poor bastards, why even need to have a symbolic murdering of your own child (is that abortion?) can't an all powerful being just forgive the sins of man without all the drama.....NO.......BECAUSE ITS NOT REAL.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.14  Gordy327  replied to  Michael_Knight @1.4.12    6 years ago
Evidence, that is the better word.

What is this so called "evidence?"

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.4.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4.14    6 years ago

And the critics still willfully get all 5 things wrong about us.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.16  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.4.15    6 years ago
And the critics still willfully get all 5 things wrong about us.

That doesn't answer my question.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.4.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1.4.16    6 years ago
That doesn't answer my question.

I've noticed a lot of dancing around your question, and questions about your question, but no actual answers to your question.  The "evidence" has not been forthcoming.  Wonder why that is?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.4.18  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.4.17    6 years ago

Maybe because they have no evidence. Just the typical BS.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.4.19  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.4.2    6 years ago

I'm saved everyday when I wake up. And I thank the Divine.

Junior Participates
1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago
I have yet to ever actually meet a Christian who wants a theocracy

Ah, that famous sample size of ONE that HA and fellow travelers love to use. Never mind there are plenty of "dominionists" (actually 1 is too many but to continue) who are salivating to do just that.  And I know what people like  HA would do if this became closer to reality.  Let's just say he'd be the last person we'd call on to help defend the Constitution from its destruction.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    6 years ago
Christianity Requires Us To Hate People We Disagree With

I agree, that is not how Christianity is supposed to work.   The proper Christian would not hate someone simply because they are sinful.   The prime example here would be homosexuals.   A homosexual (per the NT) is a sinner.   Per the OT, a homosexual is put to death.  You figure that out.   But in principle, Christianity (NT) means viewing a homosexual as a sinner - and not one to be scorned or hated.   Trouble is ... when a religion teaches that homosexuality is a sin, the end result is that homosexuals are scorned or hated.   It is what it is.

Christians Are Anti-Science

Christians are very pro-science ... right up until a scientific finding contradicts a belief.  Then you see the problem.  The YEC's are a perfect example of people who are most definitely anti-science when science disagrees with their beliefs.   No doubt about it.

Christians Want A Theocracy:

Christians, for the most part, do not want a theocracy.   What they want are laws that complement their faith.  While not technically a theocracy, this is a far cry from a secular government.   That is why there is push-back.

Christians Are Intolerant:

Well, just look at how some Christians react when someone does not conform to what they believe is correct behavior.   Of course Christians are all over the map, so really we are speaking more about the fundamentalists.   Most Christians, in my experience, are reasonably tolerant (they basically downplay their religious teachings).

Christians Are Hypocrites

Christians are human beings so of course they will be hypocritical.   Happens all the time.   The reason you see such a big deal being made is because Christians tend to hold themselves to a high moral standard.   Thus they become obvious targets when they fail to hold to their own standards.   Christians are indeed hypocrites (along with everyone else) so there is no denying that fact.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @2    6 years ago

Well said. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @2    6 years ago
The reason you see such a big deal being made is because Christians tend to hold themselves to a high moral standard.

I agree with almost everything you said except for the above line.  They don't hold themselves to high moral standards because in their minds they've already achieved it, they are already going to heaven.  They expect others, who are not part of their religion to hold themselves up to that Christian's believed moral standard.

Many (not all) Christians feel that they are already in "the club" and therefore can sit back and judge everyone else, without realizing that the standards by which they judge have gone past anything they have met themselves.  After all, if just anybody could join "the club" then they wouldn't be special for being in that "club" already.

"And when everyone's super, no one will be." - Syndrome

Junior Participates
2.3.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3    6 years ago

I put it another way:  They shape their "moral standard" as needed to achieve  the political and social goals they have.  There's no fixed point but that of getting something they want or getting rid of something they don't want.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.3.2  JBB  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3    6 years ago

I heard it all my life from Southern Baptists, "Once Saved Always Saved". Some of the worst mofos you would ever want to meet went through life causing pain and havoc to men women and children thinking they were off scottfree because they'd been saved.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3    6 years ago

Okay how about 'Christ posed rather high standards for his followers'.   Nobody loves (or even can tolerate) everyone.  Pure altruism is not something one typically finds in a human being.

So (now per my point) when a Christian violates (routinely) the idealized view of Christianity it is difficult to avoid the criticism of hypocrisy.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.3.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.3.1    6 years ago

I have always been highly skeptical of groups like Evangelical Christians and the strength of their convictions. But given their staunch support of Donald Trump, the man who is essentially the antithesis of everything they claim to believe, I am now certain that they are a completely morally hollow group. For them the ends ALWAYS justify the means, and as such are devoid of any real moral foundation. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.3.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @2.3.2    6 years ago

Once saved always saved is not correct theology.  Once one is saved they will continue to build and develop a relationship with God or they will backslide. A converted person who later falls away from the faith living in sin as they did before their conversion experience will not be saved even if they think they will be.  Being a Christian is building a relationship with God Day by Day from the day one becomes a believer.  People do so because they love God and want to please Him, not because they have to “earn” their way to heaven.  

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
2.3.6  Michael_Knight  replied to  JBB @2.3.2    6 years ago
I heard it all my life from Southern Baptists, "Once Saved Always Saved". Some of the worst mofos you would ever want to meet went through life causing pain and havoc to men women and children thinking they were off scott free because they'd been saved.

I have heard that saying, but there is much discussion that needs to be done.. A person can indeed be saved, but the Bible makes it clear that a person can also commit apostasy, which is turning their back on it and rejecting it. The way the Bible talks it seems like this is a very bad thing because its like you know the truth and then you willfully turn from it.

The other side of the argument would be like predestination, God already knows you are  going to be saved long before you were even born. So in essence that person couldn't possibly fall from the grace of God.

I used to be scared myself because there are many times in my life I have fallen away with backsliding and just leaving God out of my life.. I worried about losing my salvation.. but a Pastor friend of mine told me, if you have that feeling that you are worried about losing your salvation, means you have not lost it.  Someone who no longer cares, or isnt worried, those are the ones in danger but they can always come back around and get on track

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
2.3.7  Michael_Knight  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.3.4    6 years ago
I have always been highly skeptical of groups like Evangelical Christians and the strength of their convictions. But given their staunch support of Donald Trump, the man who is essentially the antithesis of everything they claim to believe, I am now certain that they are a completely morally hollow group. For them the ends ALWAYS justify the means, and as such are devoid of any real moral foundation.

I voted for Trump, but I dont condone him entirely. There are numerous issues I have with him but between him and Hillary it was a no brainer.  America is a much better place having him in office than had we gotten Hillary.

Trump isnt a perfect person, and despite his flaws, he sincerely wants to make America great again and the things he is doing in office is making that happen. Is he the most moral person in office? Not even close, but him and I are the same with being sinful and making mistakes in life. I hate and love when I make mistakes because I know not what to do next time. I learn from the wrongs I do. I dont a perfect President.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Okay,

#1- Don't know that anyone has said that Christians are required to hate people they disagree with. But the Bible absolutely calls for harsh punishments or death for various infractions, one is being an infidel. 

#2- Christianity throughout its history has been more or less accepting of scientific research and progress, right up until it directly contradicts what the religion teaches. Take the Heliocentric model of the solar system, or the Theory of Evolution. It took Christian institutions quite some time to admit that the Earth does in fact orbit the sun, the Catholic Church denied it for like 400 years. Nothing needs to be said about Christianity and evolution. 

#3- Christianity calls for theocracy via the very fact that it advocates specific laws, and punishments for violating those laws, that people are to adhere to. In other words, government. A government based upon religious teachings and beliefs is a theocracy. Now most modern Christians do not directly advocate that their beliefs be enacted into law and imposed on the populace, but some do and many want laws that favor their religion. Hop on You Tube sometime, their rants are easy to find.

#4- Some Christians are intolerant, others aren't. Christian fundamentalists are intolerant of anything that does not conform to their view of the world, just like all religious fundamentalists. Most Christians, for the most part, are tolerant of differing views and beliefs. 

#5- Everyone is a hypocrite to one degree or another. Some Christians are worse than most because of publicly and forcefully they support or condemn something, and then turn out to be doing the opposite. Best way to avoid being completely blasted for hypocrisy is to not gain a reputation based on a single issue. 

Junior Participates
3.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    6 years ago

Well, now you're putting science up against mythology and these people don't take kindly to having their myths challenged by knowledge.  Time was you'd have been burned for this and I'm not sure that isn't still in the minds of some believers even now. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1    6 years ago

Oh trust me, I am 100% positive that if the Christians start writing their beliefs into law you and I will not be long for this world. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.1    6 years ago

At least in the US and western Europe we're finally reaching the end of a very long reign of Christian theocracy.    We still have a few blue laws here and a few anti-LGBT laws but most folks no longer tolerate such theocratic BS.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Why do you keep posting this garbage, c4p?  You post reams of it in your holy roller group, and literally nobody but me ever comments on it, and my comments aren’t complimentary.  So you bring it to the front page and get the same negative reaction.  This is just internet pollution.

Junior Participates
4.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    6 years ago
Why do you keep posting this garbage, c4p?

He can only work with what he has. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.1    6 years ago

What is c4p?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    6 years ago

It's an abbreviation for morons that were corn-holed by failin' palin in 2008.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    6 years ago

They were "husked" you might say.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.4  devangelical  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.3    6 years ago

They all volunteered.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5  Skrekk    6 years ago
Christianity Requires Us To Hate People We Disagree With

I agree.    A very good example are the bible-babbling Republicans in South Carolina who have filed a bill which seeks to label same-sex marriage (and presumably mixed-race marriage) as "Parody Marriage":

Whereas, all forms of parody marriage and all self-asserted sex-based identity narratives and sexual orientations that fail to check out the human design are part of the religion of Secular Humanism; and

Whereas, the State of South Carolina’s decision to respect, endorse, and recognize parody marriages and sexual orientation policies has excessively entangled the government with the religion of Secular Humanism, failed to accomplish its intended purpose, and created an indefensible legal weapon against nonobservers; and

Whereas, in the wake of Obergefell v. Hodges, 135 S. Ct. 2584 (2015), there has not been a land rush on gay marriage, but there has been a land rush on the persecution of nonobservers by Secular Humanists and an effort by Secular Humanists to infiltrate and indoctrinate minors in public schools to their religious world view which is questionably moral, plausible, obscene, and is not secular; and

Whereas, it is unsettled whether or not sexual orientation is immutable or genetic and is therefore a matter of faith; and Whereas, parody marriages have never been a part of American tradition and heritage; and

Whereas, parody marriage policies and sexual orientation statutes are nonsecular and policies that respect, endorse, and recognize a marriage between a man and a woman are secular, accomplishing its intended objective.

More here:

Upstate lawmakers are working to pass a new bill that will probably get people talking. According to the SC Statehouse website, the bill, entitled the “Marriage and Constitution Restoration Act,” was introduced in the House, read for the first time and referred to Committee on Judiciary on February 15, 2018. “‘Parody marriage’ means any form of marriage that does not involve one man and one woman,” read the bill. “‘Marriage’ means a union of one man and one woman.”

So this brings up the question of whether the GOP and Christianity should be labeled as hate groups.   It should be noted that the national GOP platform contains similar anti-LGBT provisions, and Christianity itself has been predominantly misogynistic, racist and anti-LGBT since at least the era of Thomas Aquinas.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @5    6 years ago
A very good example are the bible-babbling Republicans in South Carolina who have filed a bill which seeks to label same-sex marriage (and presumably mixed-race marriage) as "Parody Marriage":

Unbelievable! And yet, unsurprising too.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6  Gordy327    6 years ago
CHRISTIANITY IS NOT BOUND BY MOSAIC LAW

So Christians can ignore the 10 Commandments, right? After all, those are OT.

however I know of no Christians who support the Old Testament teachings on homosexuality.

Is that why so many Christians oppose same sex marriage or label gays as "abominations" or "hellbound?" 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @6    6 years ago

As if there is nothing in the New Testament that lists being active in the gay lifestyle as a sin that will prevent one from entering the kingdom of heaven.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    6 years ago
As if there is nothing in the New Testament that lists being active in the gay lifestyle as a sin that will prevent one from entering the kingdom of heaven.

Why don't you quote it then?  Let's see a link to the quote from Jesus against homosexuality....

Junior Participates
6.1.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    6 years ago
Grow up, learn the Bible and come back when you actually know what the fuck you're talking about.

It's tough, aint it?  Having the bible you pervert and try to weaponize for your own purposes thrown back in your face.  Not very "grown up" to have a tantrum over having to live with what you created, though. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.1.6  Skrekk  replied to    6 years ago
None of them, and I mean NONE OF THEM will ever understand because their hearts are not open and receptive to the truth.

Most sane folks recognize the truth and would fully agree with the stated premises of the article, ie the facts that:

1) Christianity Requires Us To Hate People We Disagree With
2) Christians Are Anti-Science
3) Christians Want A Theocracy
4) Christians Are Intolerant
5) Christians Are Hypocrites

Of course not ALL Christians are like that, but the ones in the right-wing sects most certainly are.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to    6 years ago
None of you want to discuss, you want to troll and attack, it's that simple.

You don't want discussion, you want sycophants.  I asked for something very simple, for you to provide evidence of what you claim.  Yet instead of providing a simple link or quote from the Bible, you attack me telling me to provide the proof to your claim.

So I'll ask again, you claim Jesus was against homosexuals, provide link or Bible quote showing that.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    6 years ago

In other words, Christians cherry pick what they want to use.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.9  Thrawn 31  replied to    6 years ago

Removed.  CoC (BT)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gordy327 @6    6 years ago

These kinds of Christians are fucking hilarious. They act like the Bible is God's word, and yet toss out the shit that they know is wrong like this morning's trash. It really is funny watching them try to reconcile the OT and the NT.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.2    6 years ago
These kinds of Christians are fucking hilarious.

In a face palm, eye roll sort of way.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @6    6 years ago

the 10 Commandments are not Mosaic law.  They are God’s eternal law and always in place from before all creation through the endless ages of eternity after we’re in Heaven.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.3.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.3    6 years ago
They are God’s eternal law and always in place from before all creation through the endless ages of eternity after we’re in Heaven.

That's nice. Prove it!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.3.2  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.3    6 years ago
the 10 Commandments are not Mosaic law.

You should probably ask a Jew.   AFAIK the decalogue is part of the 613 Mosaic laws.    Most Christians ignore the ones after the decalogue, except for the ones which reinforce their hatred of women and certain minorities.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7  Gordy327    6 years ago
Stop trying to explain to these non believers stuff they refuse to accept,

Why should non-believers, or anyone for that matter, simply accept something just because what you or some "holy book" says? Especially since certain  claims is completely unsubstantiated?

all they're doing is trolling you and trying to start shit on your thread.

Asking questions or challenging certain assertions is "trolling" now? Seems like you can't handle a challenge.

None of them, and I mean NONE OF THEM will ever understand because their hearts are not open and receptive to the truth.

"Truth" requires facts to be considered truth. Not because of what you believe to be "truth." "Heart" has nothing to do with it. We're open MINDED to facts or evidence, which never seems to be presented. I doubt your mind is not open to the possibility that what you consider to be "truth" might be wrong!

All they do is troll these kinds of threads cruising to attack and disrespect.

All you seem to do is whine about it whenever someone challenges or questions religious assertions.

If I were you I'd lock the thread so they can go play their stupid little games elsewhere

Of course, because when religious based BS is exposed for all to see, the only recourse in cowardly fashion is to lock a thread and start over somewhere else.

None of you want to discuss, you want to troll and attack, it's that simple.

And you're wrong as usual, it's that simple!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7    6 years ago

hey, here's an idea--if you choose not to believe the Bible, or certain parts of it, then don't.

No one is obligated to "prove" anything to you concerning their faith. Nor are you required to believe anything at all.

Simple as hell and you get the added bonus of being a decent human being who isn't just trying to piss people off.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    6 years ago
hey, here's an idea--if you choose not to believe the Bible, or certain parts of it, then don't.

No worries, I don't!

No one is obligated to "prove" anything to you concerning their faith

Then they have no credibility and their assertions based on said faith is without merit or validity.

Nor are you required to believe anything at all.

I don't go by belief.

Simple as hell and you get the added bonus of being a decent human being who isn't just trying to piss people off.

If you get pissed just because I challenge or question religious assertions, that's your problem. Just because you have faith or beliefs doesn't make them exempt from challenge or scrutiny.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.1    6 years ago

Sorry, I find it damn near impossible to get worked up to a point of anger at trolls.

Personally, I don't give two cents what you believe or not.

I am not here to recruit you.

I have my faith and you have your whatever.

I just don't feel the need to denigrate or question what OTHERS believe. It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever to tell someone what they believe is wrong.

You do realize that you most likely have NEVER changed anyone's mind about their faith, right?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    6 years ago
I just don't feel the need to denigrate or question what OTHERS believe. It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever to tell someone what they believe is wrong.

Aren't you one of the folks who denigrates Muslims?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    6 years ago
Sorry, I find it damn near impossible to get worked up to a point of anger at trolls.

So you infer that I'm a troll, which I think is a CoC violation. Especially since I have not demonstrated such behavior other than questioning or challenging certain claims.

Personally, I don't give two cents what you believe or not.

Ditto.

I am not here to recruit you.

I never said you were.

I have my faith and you have your whatever.

Logic, reasoning, rationality.

I just don't feel the need to denigrate or question what OTHERS believe.

Where am I denigrating anyone? And why shouldn't beliefs or claims based on them be questioned? It seems you just want an echo chamber.

It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever to tell someone what they believe is wrong.

I didn't say anyone's beliefs were wrong. I simply challenged beliefs or the claims based on them.

You do realize that you most likely have NEVER changed anyone's mind about their faith, right?

Of course not, as that was never my intent. But then, I doubt most people of faith are willing to be open minded enough to acknowledge that their faith/beliefs could be wrong. But they're free to believe whatever they want. But logically, not all beliefs/faiths can be correct. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @7.1.3    6 years ago

Would you care to PROVE your theory or are you just going to talk shit about me?

Why do feel the need to lie about me and what I believe? 

My posts are pretty clear and easy enough for even you to understand.

List one time where I denigrated Muslims or ANY other religion for that matter.

Why don't you PUT up or SHUT up?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.4    6 years ago

I never claimed any beliefs are wrong.
You seem hellbent on commenting on any topic having anything to do with religion or faith, and I have yet to see a single post from you that would lead anyone in their right mind to believe you are anything more than an instigator for arguments.

Good day.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.7  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.5    6 years ago

Would you care to PROVE your theory or are you just going to talk shit about me?

Why do feel the need to lie about me and what I believe? 

Why are you so irate?    I merely asked whether you were one of the folks who denigrates Muslims.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.6    6 years ago
I never claimed any beliefs are wrong.

If you will kindly notice, neither have I. Only that not all beliefs can be right, logically speaking.

You seem hellbent on commenting on any topic having anything to do with religion or faith,

Am I not allowed to comment on certain articles or topics?

and I have yet to see a single post from you that would lead anyone in their right mind to believe you are anything more than an instigator for arguments.

You have yet to demonstrate where I instigated anything. I simply ask questions or challenge certain claims. if you think that's instigating or being argumentative, that's your problem. As Skrekk correctly pointed out, you seem quite irate, especially when belief/faith is challenged and/or questioned. Perhaps the problem lies with you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @7.1.7    6 years ago

I am not irate--I just HATE stupid-ass questions from people who SHOULD know better, but does this mean you CAN'T provide any instances where I have EVER denigrated Muslims or any other religions?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.8    6 years ago

Whatever, dude. I'll not stoop to a level where I question OTHER people's beliefs. probably because it ISN'T ANY OF MY FREAKING BUSINESS, and I am smart enough to know it.

just curious--why do you give a shit about what others believe?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @7.1.7    6 years ago

Are you one of those Constitution haters?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.10    6 years ago
Whatever, dude. I'll not stoop to a level where I question OTHER people's beliefs. probably because it ISN'T ANY OF MY FREAKING BUSINESS, and I am smart enough to know it.

If someone posts their beliefs or assertions based on their beliefs out there for all to see, it's fair game for a challenge or response. Why shouldn't things, beliefs or otherwise, be questioned? As I say, question everything.

just curious--why do you give a shit about what others believe?

I don't. What makes you think I do? I have always said people are free to believe whatever they want. 

I am not irate

Could have fooled me.

Are you one of those Constitution haters?

What was it you said about stupid-ass questions from people who SHOULD know better? Because that question ranks way up there on the stupid-ass meter.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.12    6 years ago

My question was used as an EXAMPLE.

Sounds stupid when I asked it, didn't it?

Just like the question whether I was one to denigrate Muslims was STUPID.

Get it now?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.12    6 years ago

"Could have fooled me"

Not really all that hard, now is it?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.1    6 years ago

And we believers are going to put our beliefs out there for those who have no set beliefs yet and the passerby who has an open mind.  Positively promoting our beliefs and values is what we do.  The fact that haters, deniers, professional skeptics come in and attack and belittle said beliefs says volumes to those who are lurkers , the open minded, and believers in something else.  It is a positive education for them to see our positive beliefs contrasted with the negativity and arrogant condescending presented in opposition to us. That they can only hate and deny and have no positive message to share with others speaks volumes to the effectiveness of each message. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.16  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.13    6 years ago
My question was used as an EXAMPLE.

Oh, is that what that was?

Sounds stupid when I asked it, didn't it?

You said it, I didn't.

Just like the question whether I was one to denigrate Muslims was STUPID.

No, that wasn't stupid.

Get it now?

You tell me.

Not really all that hard, now is it?

Oh, so you were irate then? Make up your mind.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.17  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.15    6 years ago
And we believers are going to put our beliefs out there for those who have no set beliefs yet and the passerby who has an open mind.

Works both ways: Are you open minded enough to acknowledge that your beliefs are wrong?

Positively promoting our beliefs and values is what we do.

That's a nice way of saying pushing your beliefs onto others.

The fact that haters, deniers, professional skeptics come in and attack and belittle said beliefs says volumes to those who are lurkers , the open minded, and believers in something else.

No, it just means not everyone is gullible enough to simply accept anything you say, no questions asked.

It is a positive education for them to see our positive beliefs contrasted with the negativity and arrogant condescending presented in opposition to us. That they can only hate and deny and have no positive message to share with others speaks volumes to the effectiveness of each message.

See previous three statements!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.17    6 years ago

I saw the previous 3 statements.

Tell the truth, I have to admit it.

I just wasn't all that impressed with your comments, and definitely not impressed enough to go through them again.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.19  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.18    6 years ago
I just wasn't all that impressed with your comments, and definitely not impressed enough to go through them again.

I couldn't really care less. it doesn't change anything I said.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.19    6 years ago

Sadly, it doesn't change what you wrote.

More's the pity.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.21  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.5    6 years ago

Dude, you got owned, just accept it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.21    6 years ago

Just love it when latecomers seem to have trouble reading.

Sigh.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.23  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.17    6 years ago

What are the positive affirmations for whatever it is that you believe in?  You mock and attack what others choose to believe yet can only deny what they/we believe and not advocate a thing for whatever your belief system is.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.24  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.23    6 years ago
What are the positive affirmations for whatever it is that you believe in?

I can't speak for Gordy but I will observe that by avoiding Bronze-age superstitions he also avoided learning to be a bigot.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.25  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.23    6 years ago
What are the positive affirmations for whatever it is that you believe in?

I've made no mention of my "beliefs."

You mock and attack what others choose to believe

Specify precisely where I attacked anyone for what they choose to believe! But belief itself is  not free from scrutiny simply because you want to believe it.

yet can only deny what they/we believe and not advocate a thing for whatever your belief system is.

I haven't denied you anything. I repeatedly said you're free to believe whatever you want. I also said I made no mention of my beliefs.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.26  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @7.1.24    6 years ago
I can't speak for Gordy but I will observe that by avoiding Bronze-age superstitions he also avoided learning to be a bigot.

Go ahead and speak for me Skrekk. You know me well enough by now. If you happen to be wrong, I'll correct you. But so far, I have never had reason to. Your observations are, as usual, spot on. Wink

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.27  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.14    6 years ago

🎯👍👏well said!  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    6 years ago

yes it was an example.

The mere fact you couldn't discern that for yourself is rather disturbing.

It was MEANT to sound stupid, since it was as stupid as the question asked of me.

Get it now? I can clearly see you don't. However, your level of comprehension isn't my problem--it is yours--and one you seem to have adapted to. Kudos on that.

The "Not really all that hard" comment was on the ease at which you seem to be able to be fooled.

If I have to explain every word in detail to you, I don't consider that a good use of my time.

See ya!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @8    6 years ago

Your backtracking  and thinly veiled ad hom attack is duly noted.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    6 years ago

backtracking? What are you trying to say?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    6 years ago

Attack?

Where?

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
9  Michael_Knight    6 years ago
You're the one who's wrong. You are the one under the illusion of your own making. Many of us here DO care what he thinks. As well as many others here. Stop trying to act like YOU are the only one here.

Stop acting like you are.  Who gives a flying Sht what Gordy has to say.. as if he knows what he is talking about, and as if what he says is even credible at all. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Michael_Knight @9    6 years ago
Who gives a flying Sht what Gordy has to say..

What a fine example of Christianity that is.

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
9.1.1  Michael_Knight  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1    6 years ago
What a fine example of Christianity that is.

Dont hold me to the standard. I am a backsliden Christian right now that is on a warpath. Oh i will come back around eventually but right now I plan on tearing apart the crap that comes out of peoples mouths on here.

I dont really care what you have to say either, and could care less of what standard you try to hold me to.. Its not your place unless you a Christian that plans to rebuke a fellow Christians actions.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Michael_Knight @9.1.1    6 years ago
Dont hold me to the standard.

I would call that hypocrisy.

You're investing an awful lot of time and emotional energy into responding to comments you don't care about.

And you don't make the rules about who I rebuke :)

Michael_Knight
Freshman Silent
9.1.3  Michael_Knight  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.2    6 years ago

Just like people who dont believe in God spend 99 % of their time trying to prove hes not real LOL> I find that painstakingly funny. 

And if I am being insulting then its because I no longer care about what happens to me, my account, or holding back how I feel about many people on here. 

Liberalism , democratic has done way too much damage to this nation, and its about time to call it out for the evil that is is.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Michael_Knight @9.1.3    6 years ago
Just like people who dont believe in God spend 99 % of their time trying to prove hes not real LOL> I find that painstakingly funny.

I've not seen anyone try to prove that your god isn't real.  Logical people recognize that they can't prove a negative.  Russell's teapot, and so forth.

I've seen several challenge you to prove that he is, and you've failed to come through every single time.

And surely you must realize that if you put yourself out there as a Christian, and hold that Christians are virtuous just because they're Christians, your behaviour when not virtuous reflects badly on both you and the religion you want everyone to believe makes you virtuous.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Michael_Knight @9.1.1    6 years ago
I am a backsliden Christian right now that is on a warpath. Oh i will come back around eventually but right now I plan on tearing apart the crap that comes out of peoples mouths on here.

Is that like an extended vacation away from xtian values and devotion to jesus? The 10 commandments become suggestions?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  Michael_Knight @9.1.1    6 years ago
I am a backsliden Christian right now that is on a warpath. Oh i will come back around eventually but right now I plan on tearing apart the crap that comes out of peoples mouths on here.

Fighting logic and well-founded evidence with nonsense and emotion is not going to be an effective tactic for you.