╌>

This Pop-Up Restaurant Asks Whites To Pay More

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  6 years ago  •  30 comments

This Pop-Up Restaurant Asks Whites To Pay More

As part of a month-long "social experiment," a pop-up restaurant in New Orleans is asking white customers to pay extra for their meal in the name of wealth redistribution.

According to   Civil Eats , the pop-up called   Saartj   gives white customers — and only white customers — the option to pay "$12 for lunch or the suggested price of $30" while black customers are "charged $12 and also given the option to collect the $18 paid by a white patron as a way to redistribute wealth."

Restaurant creator Tunde Wey says that his project seeks to educate patrons on the "nation's racial wealth gap," using statistics, according to Civil Eats' coverage from an   EPI study   that looks at income distribution broadly, similar to the   debunked   22-cent "gender pay gap" statistic.

"After they order, Wey tells each diner about the nation’s racial wealth gap, pointing to stark facts, such as higher education increases a Black family’s median income by $60,000, where as it increases a white family’s median income   by $113,000 ," reports Civil Eats.

Wey also asks his white customers personal questions like "have you ever inherited money or received gifts from family like a car, college tuition payments or other high value gifts?"

Once the conversation finishes, Wey then asks his white customers how much they will pay. The "white guilt" definitely pays off, with close to 78% of his white customers paying more than double the required price, according to Wey. This guilt, which Wey calls "positive social pressure," is entirely intentional and designed to elicit payment.

"Refusing to pay more comes off as anti-social and people don’t want to be judged for that," Wey said. "People look on the other side of the till and see me standing there and they’re thinking that I’m judging them. If they couldn’t pay a higher amount, they gave a me a list of caveats why they couldn’t."

Should white customers ask important questions like "where does the money go?" Wey chides them for their attempts to make their "wealth virtuous."

"The ownership of wealth has been contingent on taking from someone else," Wey tells customers, relying on the "zero-sum" economics fallacy, "and money doesn’t distill virtue on you. You cannot transfer money without transferring the agency that comes with it."

"I tried to just say the money is not need-based or merit-based, it’s neutral," he said. "In fact the folks with the agency are the Black folks, because they get to take the money or not."

If black customers offer to pay the extra $30 themselves alongside their white counterparts, Wey denies them the dignity of doing so. "Black people have even tried to pay the $30 and I’m like 'No, it’s not for you,'" he said.

So, is his social justice social experiment working?

Does the wealth redistribute?

Actually, no.
A vast majority of the black diners refuse to take money from other people guilted into paying more.

"After looking at the preliminary data collected from the survey, one of the most interesting results is that of 70 or so diners, 76 percent of the Black diners refused to take the $18 that they were offered," reports Civil Eats.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27755/pop-restaurant-asks-whites-pay-more-paul-bois

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

"After looking at the preliminary data collected from the survey, one of the most interesting results is that of 70 or so diners, 76 percent of the Black diners refused to take the $18 that they were offered," reports Civil Eats.

It kind of makes me proud!

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    6 years ago
It kind of makes me proud!

I wonder why you'd feel proud for something someone else did and why you seem surprised that they did.  This was really a bogus "experiment."   It stinks of something the Heritage Foundation would put somebody up to.  Trying to compare direct shift of someone else's money to the inequities of a tax system that rewards the very rich almost exclusively is just the kind of propaganda we get from rightwingers all the time.  

It's articles like this that give me the opportunity to remind people who think this country was founded as some sort of tax-free haven with this passage from Federalist #36 (1788):

The wants of the Union are to be supplied in one way or another; if to be done by the authority of the federal government, it will not be to be done by that of the State government. The quantity of taxes to be paid by the community must be the same in either case; with this advantage, if the provision is to be made by the Union that the capital resource of commercial imposts, which is the most convenient branch of revenue, can be prudently improved to a much greater extent under federal than under State regulation, and of course will render it less necessary to recur to more inconvenient methods; and with this further advantage, that as far as there may be any real difficulty in the exercise of the power of internal taxation, it will impose a disposition to greater care in the choice and arrangement of the means; and must naturally tend to make it a fixed point of policy in the national administration to go as far as may be practicable in making the luxury of the rich tributary to the public treasury, in order to diminish the necessity of those impositions which might create dissatisfaction in the poorer and most numerous classes of the society. Happy it is when the interest which the government has in the preservation of its own power, coincides with a proper distribution of the public burdens, and tends to guard the least wealthy part of the community from oppression!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.1    6 years ago
I wonder why you'd feel proud for something someone else did and why you seem surprised that they did.

And where did I say I was surprised?

Sorry, You can't blame the Heritage Foundation. Thanks for all the general information.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.1    6 years ago
Happy it is when the interest which the government has in the preservation of its own power, coincides with a proper distribution of the public burdens, and tends to guard the least wealthy part of the community from oppression!

This is how the left wingers attempt to keep blacks under their controlling thumbs, by offering them all kinds of freebies in exchange for their votes. This has been going on for decades.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Punish the shit out of them.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Reality is often a bitch and, it sometimes accounts for certain phenomena which, right, wrong or indifferent, on the surface, in the absence of cited prologue, attracts critics who don't know what they don't know …

F'rinstance

"In 2013, the median white family held 13 times as much net wealth as the median black family and 10 times as much wealth as the median Latino family, according to the Federal Reserve's Survey of Consumer Finances."

There are many reasons cited behind this gap, including slavery and institutional and governmental discrimination that excluded people of color from programs that helped Americans build wealth and pass it down through the generations.

As Code Switch writes: "Segregation and redlining by banks made it impossible for many black and Latino families to secure mortgages, for example. The GI Bill, which helped establish an American middle class by helping veterans pay for college and buy homes after World War II, mostly excluded people of color."

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  A. Macarthur @3    6 years ago

Segregation and redlining by banks made it impossible for many black and Latino families to secure mortgages, for example.

That might have been somewhat true a half century or more ago, but not today.

"The GI Bill, which helped establish an American middle class by helping veterans pay for college and buy homes after World War II, mostly excluded people of color."

I would like to see some kind of verification of that statement.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    6 years ago

African American   veterans benefited less than others from the G.I. Bill.

The   G.I. Bill   aimed to help American   World War II   veterans   adjust to civilian life by providing them with benefits including low-cost   mortgages , low-interest loans and financial support. African Americans did not benefit from nearly as much as White Americans. Historian Ira Katznelson argues that "the law was deliberately designed to accommodate   Jim Crow ". [1]   Of the first 67,000 mortgages insured by the G.I. Bill, fewer than 100 were taken out by non-whites. [2]

Additionally, banks and mortgage agencies refused loans to blacks, making the G.I. Bill even less effective for blacks. [3]   Once they returned from the war, blacks faced   discrimination   and poverty, which represented a barrier to harnessing the benefits of the G.I. Bill, because labor and income were immediately needed at home.

Most southern universities principals refused to admit blacks until the Civil Rights revolution. Segregation was legally mandated in that region. Colleges accepting blacks in the South initially numbered 100. Those institutions were of lower quality, with 28 of them classified as sub- baccalaureate . Only seven states offered postbaccalaureate training, while no accredited engineering or doctoral programs were available for blacks. These institutions were all smaller than white or nonsegregated universities, often facing a lack of resources. [4]

By 1946, only one fifth of the 100,000 blacks who had applied for educational benefits had been registered in college. [5]   Furthermore,   historically black colleges and universities   (HBCUs) came under increased pressure as rising enrollments and strained resources forced them to turn away an estimated 20,000 veterans. HBCUs were already the poorest colleges. HBCU resources were stretched even thinner when veterans’ demands necessitated an expansion in the curriculum beyond the traditional "preach and teach" course of study. [3]

Though blacks encountered many obstacles in their pursuit of G.I. benefits, the bill greatly expanded the population of African Americans attending college and graduate school. In 1940, enrollment at Black colleges was 1.08% of total U.S. college enrollment. By 1950 it had increased to 3.6%. Additionally, the bill led to the passage of the   Lanham Act   of 1946, which provided for federal funding for the improvement and expansion of HBCUs. However, these gains were limited almost exclusively to Northern states, and the educational and economic gap between white and black nationally, widened under the effects of the G.I. Bill. [6]   With 79 percent of the black population living in southern states, educational gains were limited to a small part of black America. [3]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    6 years ago
That might have been somewhat true a half century or more ago, but not today.
JANUARY 10, 2017

Blacks and Hispanics face extra challenges in getting home loans

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2017/01/10113401/FT_16.12.28_HomeownershipObstacles_2-241x300.png 241w, 200w, 260w, 326w, 50w, 160w" sizes="(max-width: 421px) 100vw, 421px"> Homeownership in the U.S. has   fallen sharply since the housing boom peaked in the mid-2000s, though it’s declined more for some racial and ethnic groups than for others. Black and Hispanic households today are still far less likely than white households to own their own homes (41.3% and 47%, respectively, versus 71.9% for whites), and the homeownership gap between blacks and whites has widened since 2004.

An examination of mortgage-market data indicates some of the continuing challenges black and Hispanic homebuyers and would-be homebuyers face. Among other things, they have a much harder time getting approved for conventional mortgages than whites and Asians, and when they are approved they tend to pay higher interest rates. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.1    6 years ago

There's no sense applying for college if you can't read. Fifty years later and 47% of Detroit residents are illiterate. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.4  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.3    6 years ago

Detroit schools get FIFTH Emergency Manager, another overseer with ZERO background in education

When you do not have a tax base because all the big players have been exempted from having to pay taxes, and you cut revenue to the school district to channel the dollars for private schools, is it any wonder that DPS debt has increased by about $375 million. The only thing the Republican Party has proved with its no tax policy is that government cannot not provide even basic services for citizens if it has no money.

That was the plan. Take it over, make no effort to fix it and watch it fail. Then blame the Teachers Union and the democratic base of Detroit for the failure. If you follow the money on this one, it leads all the way back to Betsy Devos.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.2    6 years ago
Among other things, they have a much harder time getting approved for conventional mortgages than whites and Asians, and when they are approved they tend to pay higher interest rates.

That's usually the case if they don't have enough income and no credit history.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.4    6 years ago

No Mac, it goes way back before Betsy. Detroit's problems are well documented and are not entirely the fault of the Republicans.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.7  A. Macarthur  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.5    6 years ago
Among other things, they have a much harder time getting approved for conventional mortgages than whites and Asians, and when they are approved they tend to pay higher interest rates.

That's usually the case if they don't have enough income and no credit history.

Or, when they are simply discriminated against because of their race.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.8  A. Macarthur  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.6    6 years ago

No Mac, it goes way back before Betsy. Detroit's problems are well documented and are not entirely the fault of the Republicans

I did not say anything about "entirely": I responded to specific comments making specific contentions. 

There are many reasons as to the illiteracy rate among particular demographics, and generally …

The following are the most frequent causes of illiteracy in adults:
  • Parents with little schooling;
  • Lack of books at home and lack of stimulation as to the importance of reading;
  • Doing badly at or dropping out of school—many have not completed high school;
  • Difficult living conditions, including poverty;
FYI:

The states that had the poorest showing in the education department are listed below:

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fkarstenstrauss%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2FKarsten-Edu.jpg

America's most literate cities drawing from a variety of available data resources, the America’s Most Literate Cities study ranks the largest cities (population 250,000 and above) in the United States. This study focuses on six key indicators of literacy: newspaper circulation, number of bookstores, library resources, periodical publishing resources, educational attainment, and Internet resources [18]

City Rankings
2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
Seattle, WA 1 1.5 2 1 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C." title="Washington, D.C."> Washington, D.C. 2 3 5 3.5 3
Minneapolis, MN 3 1.5 1 2 2
Pittsburgh, PA 4 12 9 6 8
Atlanta, GA 5 6 8 3.5 4
Portland, OR 6 10.5 12 10 11
St. Paul, MN 7 4 3 5 9.5
Boston, MA 8 8 10 11 7
Cincinnati, OH 9 10.5 11 7 9.5
Denver, CO 10 7 4 8 6

Literate, educated, illiteracy … Red States or Blue States? Check the stats above,

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.1.9  96WS6  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.4    6 years ago

Sorry Amac you can't blame the problems of the Detroit school systems on the emergency financial manager.   Detroit schools have been paid in the top 25% in compensation per student for decades and it has only gone up. The corruption in the Detroit school system has been PROVEN OVER AND OVER!  Nice try though!  

PS tough to find a more liberal source that the Detroit FreePress.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.1.11  96WS6  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.4    6 years ago

You can't blame the problems on "not enough money" either. 

The state of Michigan is devoting about $440 more per-pupil in state funds to Detroit Public Schools in 2013-14 compared to five years ago. In 2013-14, the state poured $378.5 million into DPS, or about $7,802 per student. In 2008-09, that figure was $7,445 per student. DPS enrollment has plummeted from 95,494 students in 2009 to 48,511 students in 2014.

Overall, Detroit Public Schools received $13,825 per student in 2012-13 which includes local, state and federal funding, the most recent year released by the Michigan Department of Education . Meanwhile, Wyandotte Public Schools, just 17 miles away, received $8,242 per student, or $5,583 less per student than Detroit Public Schools.

If DPS is being neglected, it’s not via the checkbook.

Here is a fun exercise, compare the Detroit per-student compensation to the best school in your state, then tell me again what the problem is.   Here is a fun fact:  The Detroit school system has been run exclusively by liberals for over 40 years!

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2  bugsy  replied to  A. Macarthur @3    6 years ago
In 2013, the median white family held 13 times as much net wealth as the median black family and 10 times as much wealth as the median Latino family, according to the Federal Reserve's Survey of Consumer Finances.

So??? Get educated, at least TRY and get a better, or just a job, and your gap can shrink. Keep playing victim and you will always be a democrat.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    6 years ago

Let me see if I have this right.  This is a Nigerian pop-up with a vegetarian menu featuring fermented dumplings, bean cake,  efo riro, nkwobi, dodo (no shit, that's the name of the dish), and a huge helping of in-your-face blame...courtesy of guest of this country.

Excuse me while I go hop a flight to New Orleans (or any one of a dozen different cities in which Tunde Wey is 'experimenting').  

See the source image

I had difficulty finding directions from the airport to the, um, restaurant, but I was able to find an image so I know what I'm looking for.

Let's eat!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    6 years ago

My  Pop-Up Restaurant. 

I serve Fry Bread, Indian Tacos and white fish on wild rice. Coming to a neighborhood near you soon. 

I give discounts to women and over charge men....No vegatarian dishes (vegetarian translated to Ojibwe means can't hunt for shit)

Related image

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @4.1    6 years ago

Tell Red to get the guest room ready.  I'll be there ASAP.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @4.1    6 years ago
(vegetarian translated to Ojibwe means can't hunt for shit)

laughing dude

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.1    6 years ago

Tomorrow lunch special is Indian Tacos....either soft shell or hard shell...Hatch chili's as a side. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.2  96WS6  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    6 years ago
Oh boy!  Sign me up!/s

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

So if say Magic Johnson who has enough money for ten lifetimes went to the restaurant, would they offer him the 18 dollars?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6  Cerenkov    6 years ago

Sad little SJW.

Pedro
Professor Participates
7  Pedro    6 years ago

Outside of any actual opinion on the topic, I can't help but wonder how this isn't illegal. It's illegal to price discriminate and it's also illegal to run an unlicensed restaurant.