╌>

Famed Astrophysicist Stephen Hawking Dead At 76

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  228 comments

Famed Astrophysicist Stephen Hawking Dead At 76

Stephen Hawking , the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76.

Professor Hawking’s insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions.

His family released a statement in the early hours of Wednesday morning confirming his death at his home in Cambridge.

Hawking’s children, Lucy, Robert and Tim said in a statement: “We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

“He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.

“His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.

“He once said, ‘It would not be much of a universe if it wasn’t home to the people you love.’ We will miss him for ever.”

For fellow scientists and loved ones, it was Hawking’s intuition and wicked sense of humour that marked him out as much as the broken body and synthetic voice that came to symbolise the unbounded possibilities of the human mind.

Hawking was driven to Wagner, but not the bottle, when he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in 1963 at the age of 21. Doctors expected him to live for only two more years. But Hawking had a form of the disease that progressed more slowly than usual. He survived for more than half a century and long enough for his disability to define him. His popularity would surely have been diminished without it.

Hawking once estimated he worked only 1,000 hours during his three undergraduate years at Oxford. “You were supposed to be either brilliant without effort, or accept your limitations,” he wrote in his 2013 autobiography, My Brief History. In his finals, Hawking came borderline between a first and second class degree. Convinced that he was seen as a difficult student, he told his viva examiners that if they gave him a first he would move to Cambridge to pursue his PhD. Award a second and he threatened to stay at Oxford. They opted for a first.

Those who live in the shadow of death are often those who live most. For Hawking, the early diagnosis of his terminal disease, and his witnessing the death from leukaemia of a boy he knew in hospital, ignited a fresh sense of purpose. “Although there was a cloud hanging over my future, I found, to my surprise, that I was enjoying life in the present more than before. I began to make progress with my research,” he once said. Embarking on his career in earnest, he declared: “My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/14/stephen-hawking-professor-dies-aged-76

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I guess he knows the secret of the universe now. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

hmmmmmmmmm

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.2  lennylynx  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

No JR, actually, Hawking knows absolutely nothing right now.  His great brain will now become worm food.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  lennylynx @1.2    6 years ago

Wow, what a disgusting observation.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.1    6 years ago

What did you think was going to happen to it?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.2.4  lennylynx  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.1    6 years ago

Reality bites, I know.  Life is just temporary.  It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for that damn survival instinct.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to    6 years ago

Einstein's brain is still in a jar somewhere in New Jersey, isn't it?

I hope Prof Hawking donated his brain to science not just to study what made him so intelligent but also to study his disease

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to    6 years ago

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.2.7  Spikegary  replied to  lennylynx @1.2    6 years ago

Can we respect the passing of a brillaint man and mind and leave it at that?  This back and forth is disrespectful to the memory of the man.

Have a little class, people.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.2.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.2.2    6 years ago
What did you think was going to happen to it?

Seems you wounded some tender fee-fees.  Hawking was an atheist so he'd have been in total agreement about what would happen to his brilliant brain after death (although I suspect he'll be cremated rather than buried so not "food for worms.")

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.10  Gordy327  replied to    6 years ago
and even made an appearance on "The Simpsons."

Don't forget

"> Star Trek: TNG , where he played poker with Data, Einstein, and Newton. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.2.6    6 years ago

'Dr Hfuhruhurr Meets Ann Uumellmahaye: The Man With Two Brains

Two people, er uh, brains, with unusual names meet.'

I loved that movie!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.13  Split Personality  replied to    6 years ago

Great quotes from Hawking

On free will:

"I have noticed that even people who claim everything is predetermined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

["Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays," 1994]

On what he thinks about all day:

"Women. They are a complete mystery."

[The New Scientist, 2012]

On his IQ:

“I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers."

[The New York Times Magazine, 2004]

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.14  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.13    6 years ago

""Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest" - Donald Trump

“Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart,” - Donald trump

"I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!" - Donald Trump

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.15  Gordy327  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.14    6 years ago

Here's

"> Zapp Brannigan as Trump. That line is at the 59 second mark.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.2.16  Skrekk  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.14    6 years ago

"I know words, I have the best words."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @1.2.7    6 years ago

You can respect him all you want, but I have no respect for hypocrites. That Israel-basher would have no voice if not for Israeli technology, developed by Israeli technology scientists in the Israeli branch of INTEL.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.14    6 years ago

“Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart,” - Donald trump

"I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!" - Donald Trump

Was that comment necessary?  Why is it that the new members on NT do their DAMDEST to turn this site into shit, for instance by having to bring Trump into a discussion about Hawking?  I wonder how low an IQ of a person is who feels compelled to do so.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.19  Gordy327  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.18    6 years ago
Was that comment necessary?

Aw c'mon Buzz. I know the focus is on Prof. Hawking. But you have to admit, the trump quotes are funny. Nothing like a little levity every now and then.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.3  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Yes, he now knows that God is real, that his first wife who was a devout Christian was right, and that he will have eternity in hell to understand he wasn’t smart enough to believe in God

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago
Yes, he now knows that God is real, that his first wife who was a devout Christian was right, and that he will have eternity in hell to understand he wasn’t smart enough to believe in God

I see you have nothing of value to offer, especially your usual brand of theistic BS!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago

Hell would be spending an eternity with a 'pastor' such as yourself.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
1.3.3  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago
he will have eternity in hell to understand he wasn’t smart enough to believe in God

are you claiming to be smarter than Hawking simply because you have a belief in God ?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3.4  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago
Yes, he now knows that God is real

No he doesn't.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.5  devangelical  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago

He'll be invited to sit courtside at the pearly gates to watch teavangelical scum take the express elevator to hell.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.3.6  livefreeordie  replied to  Phoenyx13 @1.3.3    6 years ago

Smarter in the sense that I chose eternal life in the presence of God rather than eternity in hell

Smarter in the sense that I don’t suffer from an ego that believed he had all knowledge that can ever be known which is the conclusion of an atheist who says that there is no possibility that God exists

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.7  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3.6    6 years ago
Smarter in the sense that I chose eternal life in the presence of God rather than eternity in hell

There's nothing smart about delusions.

Smarter in the sense that I don’t suffer from an ego that believed he had all knowledge that can ever be known which is the conclusion of an atheist who says that there is no possibility that God exists

If you're so smart, prove there's a god then!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.8  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3.6    6 years ago
I don’t suffer from an ego that believed he had all knowledge that can ever be known which is the conclusion of an atheist who says that there is no possibility that God exists

That would be a gnostic atheist.   The super majority of atheists are agnostic atheists.  Agnostic atheists do not claim they KNOW there is no god, they simply note that they are not convinced a god exists.   

Gnostic theists (such as yourself) claim that there is no possibility that their God does not exist.   You do not recognize that the claim of the gnostic theist is a claim of omniscience - subject to the exact criticism you just made of gnostic atheists?

Junior Participates
1.3.9  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago

Image result for vomiting emoji

Junior Participates
1.3.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3.6    6 years ago

Then what exactly is your diagnosis?

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
1.3.11  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3.6    6 years ago

that would simply be a sign of your emotional belief and not intelligence.

instead, you make the assertion that your God most definitely exists and are still unable to prove conclusively that its true - same coin but different side.

So how are you "smarter" again ?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.12  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago

Because of your religious belief, you are presupposing that his wife's views on religion were correct and her husband was wrong, despite his vast knowledge of physics. Your devout religious belief isn't an example of intelligence. It is the lack of intelligence because religious belief in what you cannot prove is the opposite of critical thought. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.3.13  pat wilson  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago

Mr. Hawking has already spent time in hell. I doubt "God" would put him through it again.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.15  TᵢG  replied to  Kathleen @1.3.14    6 years ago

It is so strange, is it not, observing people who think they know anything whatsoever about the grandest entity that might possibly exist.

Especially those who claim personal knowledge of God.   In so doing they distinguish themselves as extremely special human beings yet do so unable to offer a single shred of demonstrable evidence of this remarkable communication link.   They offer mere claims.

The worst examples of this are religious leaders who marshal the faithful to conduct acts of  terrorism / war / murder.   The next worse are the societal leeches who claim divine audience to con the faithful out of their money.  Truly despicable IMO.    Faith is a powerful tool for the leaders and a deep vulnerability for the faithful.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @1.3.16    6 years ago
I have even heard the phrase " You must love God more then your own family".  Crazy indeed.

That's actually pretty common, as far as I can tell.  The order of priorities I always heard was first God, then your family, then your work, from preachers in multiple churches.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.3.5    6 years ago

I bet he's playing poker somewhere with Einstein and Isaac Newton.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    6 years ago

Skirting the CoC {SP}.

This is why I intensely dislike fundamentalist Christians such as yourself

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  pat wilson @1.3.13    6 years ago
Mr. Hawking has already spent time in hell. I doubt "God" would put him through it again.

That's a beautiful sentiment, Pat. I was thinking the same thing when I heard the news.

Like I said up thread, I bet he's sitting at a poker table, laughing it up with Albert, Isaac, and Nikola. And able to hold his own tea cup or a pint. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.21  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.19    6 years ago
You are so incredibly arrogant.

That's not the only adjective I would use.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.22  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.18    6 years ago
I bet he's playing poker somewhere with Einstein and Isaac Newton.

And I'm sure he'll win with four 7's and a Jack too. :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @1.3.21    6 years ago

I know I'll get a CoC violation but I don't want a one week vacay out of it, too

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.24  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.20    6 years ago

Did you ever see this video of Dr. Hawking playing quantum chess?   Shows his sense of humor.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.24    6 years ago

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing it

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.26  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.25    6 years ago

And quantum chess is a real thing.   The game they were playing actually exists.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.27  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.26    6 years ago

Huh...I honestly thought it was made up.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.28  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.27    6 years ago

That is why I mentioned it.   That game was created by a PhD candidate studying quantum theory.   He programmed it himself as a way to demystify (to some degree) the unusual behavior at the quantum level to those who are not experts in quantum dynamics.   I think he successfully provides a glimpse at how counter-intuitive our reality really is when we start looking at the details.

Quantum Chess (alpha version)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.29  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.26    6 years ago
The game they were playing actually exists.

I didn't know quantum chess was a real game either. I am quite intrigued. I will have to check it out. Thanks for that.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
1.4  96WS6  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Be careful John,

That statement could lead some your brethren to believe that you believe in God.  You should probably start running now just to be safe.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  96WS6 @1.4    6 years ago

I know John believes in God. So what? He doesn't condemn the rest of us "heathens" to hell like some of your brethren do

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

He did much to change our concepts of the universe and quantum physics. For that the world will never forget him.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    6 years ago

The world and science itself is lesser with his loss now.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.1  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    6 years ago

The world is a better place because he was here but a much darker place now that he has left us. If there is an afterlife he is now free of the bonds of his physical disability.

In my wildest dreams, I could not hope to add to the knowledge of the human race what he added in a week. Rest in peace, sir. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    6 years ago

A great loss to humanity

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.2.1  Phoenyx13  replied to  Freefaller @2.2    6 years ago
A great loss to humanity

i absolutely agree

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Freefaller  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.2.2    6 years ago
I don't see it.

Despite that opinion he'll still be regarded and remembered as a one of the greatest minds in history long after you, I and many others have turned to dust and been completely forgotten

Junior Participates
2.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.2.2    6 years ago
I figured the end was near for him when he became increasingly loony with his predictions.

I appreciate you candor (as well as the honesty to admit that you couldn't possibly understand the science he advanced).  Others of your political bent are falling all over themselves in a pretense of admiration of him in death when we really know what they thought of him in life.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
2.2.5  livefreeordie  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.2.4    6 years ago

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @2.2.5    6 years ago

He was too logical and rational to believe in fairy tales. But if you're so smart, then prove there's a god! 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @2.2.5    6 years ago
Yes, he now knows that God is real

Still stating the same thing and you're still wrong

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.8  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @2.2.7    6 years ago
Still stating the same thing and you're still wrong

Sounds like broken record syndrome. Laugh

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.2.9    6 years ago
Personally I don't [think] there is anybody that really understands what the hell he was theorizing.

No need to speculate - do some simple research.  Oh, never mind, I will help you (an act of charity).

Are you aware of Professor Leonard Susskind's 10 year long debate with Dr. Hawking regarding black hole radiation and information loss?   (I ask knowing the answer.)   Well here is one example of one  individual who absolutely knew what Dr. Hawking was talking about.   (There are more too!)

No doubt you will have thoughtful follow up questions after reviewing Susskind's presentation.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.12  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.2.11    6 years ago

Brilliant!  Nothing like a 100% cliché 'rebuttalto keep one safe, eh?

Obviously your 'thinking' was wrong.    Quite a few people engaged Professor Hawking and understood his positions.   No doubt this will not affect your little world, but that is no reason to cynically dismiss the contributions of this accomplished theoretical scientist.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.2.13    6 years ago
Hawking achieved an iconic reputation but ultimately nothing of import.

You should have read the article you referenced in its entirety.   The article shows Hawking as a fallible human being with celebrity that surpasses his work as a scientist.   I guess that is the only aspect you grasped because the article also speaks of his accomplishments.    For example (discussed in your article) you are quite unique in your view that Hawking Radiation is nothing of import or that Dr. Hawking contributed nothing of import to our understanding of black holes or attempts to unify general Relativity with quantum dynamics.

First you claimed that nobody understands Hawking.  You were wrong (of course).   Next you ran to the other side and claimed that he really did not accomplish anything of import.   You were wrong (of course).   What is your next attempt to speak ill of Dr. Hawking?   That he sucked at football?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.14    6 years ago

I just wanted to let you know how thoroughly I enjoyed that exchange.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.16  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.15    6 years ago

As did I.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

"It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”"

He could have lived to 1000 and never found that answer. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

He came closer than anyone else. He might have eventually formulated the "Theory of Everything" that unifies all the forces in nature

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    6 years ago

Our cosmos lost a bright light tonight...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    6 years ago

Living into his 30s was a remarkable accomplishment.   Living to 76 is truly something to behold.   He had such a full and productive life in spite of (basically) living without a body.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5    6 years ago

Indeed. Imagine what he might have accomplished if he did have a functioning body.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1    6 years ago

Funny thing, I have always suspected that his handicap is what drove his deep focus.  No distractions ... he lived deeply in his thoughts and probably achieved levels of cognition that 'normal' people might not be able to achieve.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.1    6 years ago
Funny thing, I have always suspected that his handicap is what drove his deep focus.

Actually he said that Tig. 

On the other hand, science is a very good area for disabled people because it goes on mainly in the mind. Of course, most kinds of experimental work are probably ruled out for most such people, but theoretical work is almost ideal. My disabilities have not been a significant handicap in my field, which is theoretical physics. Indeed, they have helped me in a way by shielding me from lecturing and administrative work that I would otherwise have been involved in. I have managed, however, only because of the large amount of help I have received from my wife, children, colleagues and students. I find that people in general are very ready to help, but you should encourage them to feel that their efforts to aid you are worthwhile by doing as well as you possibly can.”

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.1    6 years ago

Good point TiG. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1    6 years ago

His accomplishments came from his incredible mind, not his body.  But consider this before you discount his physical self.  He had a disease that the doctors said would end him within two years of diagnosis.  That was in 1963.

Junior Participates
5.1.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.5    6 years ago
But consider this before you discount his physical self.

I'm inclined to think that was due to his mind as well.  I think he willed himself not to surrender to his physical state knowing that he still could (and did) continue to contribute to the science he loved despite the condition of his body.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.5    6 years ago
His accomplishments came from his incredible mind, not his body.

Yes, but my point is, his body limited what he could express from his mind. If his body functioned like his mind, there's no telling what other accomplishments he may have had.

But consider this before you discount his physical self. He had a disease that the doctors said would end him within two years of diagnosis. That was in 1963.

I'm not discounting anything. The fact he lasted this long given his physical frailty is amazing in itself. But as TiG pointed out, that may have helped his mind too. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

Such a brilliant mind. 

RIP Stephen.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
8  Randy    6 years ago

No matter what has or will happen on this day in history, a thousand years from now it will be known as the day the great Stephan Hawkings died. His passing is as great as the passing of Archimedes or Newton. He joins them in history as an equal. Everything else this day shrinks by comparison in the stretch of time and history. Rest in peace to a true and very rare giant.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

C5F4B5DCB61B4BDAA270A8D611C2485C.jpeg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

RIP Professor Hawking.

Thanks for your brilliance and your wicked sense of humor. I'm so glad that your amazing mind was not diminished by your disease.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

I tried to read a brief history of time. 

It didn't go well.

The world is poorer for having lost such a brilliant mind. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sean Treacy @11    6 years ago

I had the same problem.  I've got the illustrated version and it still didn't sink in.

Funny story though, the cover art did come in handy for me.  My kids went to a Catholic school k-8, and one year I was given the task of making invitations to their Confirmation.  I doubt they understood that I was an atheist.  I handled the job with dignity, by cropping the cover art to suit their purposes and provide a uniquely ecumenical invitation.  I doubt anyone ever even recognized my little secret.

0553103741.jpg sh.jpg

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @11    6 years ago

It's a good read but there were parts that made my head hurt.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
11.2.1  Randy  replied to  MrFrost @11.2    6 years ago

I agree...good, but a headache read..

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
12  Dowser    6 years ago

RIP, Mr. Hawking.  I'm glad that your thoughts were limitless!

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13  livefreeordie    6 years ago

Hawking now knows that God is real, that his first wife who was a devout Christian was right, and that he will have eternity in hell to understand he wasn’t smart enough to believe in God. Tragic for a man who was supposedly brilliant

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
13.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  livefreeordie @13    6 years ago

It's too bad that you will never get to realize how wrong you are.  You just insist on getting to the finish line thinking you are right.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.2  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @13    6 years ago
he will have eternity in hell to understand he wasn’t smart enough to believe in God. Tragic for a man who was supposedly brilliant

he was brilliant, but it seems you are suggesting you are smarter simply because you have a belief in God - seems a bit tragic for a religious leader to encourage not appreciating the brilliance and contributions to society this man made before his death.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.3  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @13    6 years ago

Well spamming the same comment over and over has certainly convinced me you're correct, lol.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.4  MrFrost  replied to  livefreeordie @13    6 years ago

His shit was smarter than most people.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.5  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @13    6 years ago
Hawking now knows that God is real, that his first wife who was a devout Christian was right, and that he will have eternity in hell to understand he wasn’t smart enough to believe in God.

God created Stephen Hawking with a debilitating disease but a great mind.  All God's doing - by definition.   Hawking used what he had to benefit society.  He was a scientist, teacher, author, speaker, leader, friend, father and husband.   All in all, a rather decent, contributing guy.

But by your logic, loving God will now damn this soul to eternal Hell?   Downright despicable that individuals are still indoctrinating young minds with such beliefs.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.1  livefreeordie  replied to  TᵢG @13.5    6 years ago

Wrong. Diseases are the result of the corrupting effects of sin upon the earth and all who are in it

God respects the right of people to reject Him and choose hell.  God NEVER desires for anyone to make that bad choice. He would rather that all people choose life

“The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.”
2 Peter 3:9 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.5.2  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago
Wrong. Diseases are the result of the corrupting effects of sin upon the earth and all who are in it

You speak as though this is a fact.   What you stated was a belief.  Provide the evidence that 'sinning' caused Stephen Hawking to develop ALS.   Provide evidence that 'sinning' causes a child to die of leukemia before she reaches kindergarten.

Pedro
Professor Participates
13.5.3  Pedro  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago

“The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.”
2 Peter 3:9 

Yeah. I never said anything of the sort. 

Additionally, this might be the most irresponsible and potentially harmful thing I've read in at least a day:

God respects the right of people to reject Him and choose hell.  God NEVER desires for anyone to make that bad choice. He would rather that all people choose life

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.4  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago

So I guess medicine has it all wrong then, is that it? Funny, I didn't know antibiotics and vaccines could cure sin. 

if there was a god, there would be no such thing as choice.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.5  Gordy327  replied to  Pedro @13.5.3    6 years ago
Additionally, this might be the most irresponsible and potentially harmful thing I've read in at least a day:

It's certainly one of the most delusional and ignorant. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.5.6  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago

Just for clarification is it the bacteria/viruses that cause the disease that sinned or the people that get the disease.  I just want to know so I can be accurate with my doc next time we talk.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.5.7  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago
Diseases are the result of the corrupting effects of sin upon the earth and all who are in it

if that were the case - there'd be no need for medicine at all, people could just simply stop "sinning" and there'd be no diseases ever again, correct ?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.8  Gordy327  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.5.7    6 years ago
people could just simply stop "sinning" and there'd be no diseases ever again, correct ?

Or they can simply pray for forgiveness and be magically cured that way. Just like Christian Scientists do, right? Oh wait...

epistte
Junior Guide
13.5.9  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago

$20.00 says that you cannot prove this nonsensical claim without ignoring basic biological facts.

Your religious belief is based on the rejection of facts.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
13.5.10  lady in black  replied to  epistte @13.5.9    6 years ago

Crackpot, tinfoil bs.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.11  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @13.5.9    6 years ago
$20.00 says that you cannot prove this nonsensical claim without ignoring basic biological facts.

No bet there, especially since he hasn't returned or bothered to address any of the challenges to his BS claims. Of course, since his first post in this discussion, I got the impression that he wasn't really interested in a discussion anyway. Just spewing his typical nonsense.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.12  livefreeordie  replied to  TᵢG @13.5.2    6 years ago

That's not what I said.  The Biblical view is that the corrupting effect of sin on the world causes the spread of diseases, genetic defects, malformities, and other life shortening or crippling effects.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.13  livefreeordie  replied to  Freefaller @13.5.6    6 years ago

viruses are one of the results of sin upon the entire earth

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.14  livefreeordie  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.5.7    6 years ago

No because the result of sin entering the earth has caused not just people, but the earth itself to be a departure from the perfection that God intended.  Sin corrupts the entire earth physically and spiritually

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.5.15  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.12    6 years ago
That's not what I said.  The Biblical view is that the corrupting effect of sin on the world causes the spread of diseases, genetic defects, malformities, and other life shortening or crippling effects.

You wrote this (and I quoted it for clarity):

livefreeordie @ 13.5.1  - Diseases are the result of the corrupting effects of sin upon the earth and all who are in it

So I will now repeat:

Provide the evidence that ' sinning ' caused Stephen Hawking to develop ALS.   Provide evidence that ' sinning ' causes a child to die of leukemia before she reaches kindergarten.

Even if you hold that disease in general is a result of sin in general my challenge stands.   Show the evidence that disease is a consequence of sin.  Show that stealing or coveting or cursing (God's name in vane) or ... produces disease.

Your claim is absurd pretty much any way one views it.   The only way to move it out of absurdity is to provide evidence.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.5.16  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.13    6 years ago

Perfect nonsense.   Deliver evidence.   (The Bible is not evidence.)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.5.17  Tessylo  replied to  Freefaller @13.5.6    6 years ago
'Just for clarification is it the bacteria/viruses that cause the disease that sinned or the people that get the disease.  I just want to know so I can be accurate with my doc next time we talk.'

laughing dude

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.18  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.12    6 years ago
That's not what I said. The Biblical view is that the corrupting effect of sin on the world causes the spread of diseases, genetic defects, malformities, and other life shortening or crippling effects.

Here's what you said, in your post 13.5.1, and I quote: "Diseases are the result of the corrupting effects of sin upon the earth and all who are in it." Clearly you infer that sin is the cause of disease (as opposed to bacteria, viruses, ect.), and when challenged on that point, you now try to backtrack. Your intellectual dishonesty and cowardice is quite clear for all to see. As is your total lack of credibility too.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.19  livefreeordie  replied to  TᵢG @13.5.15    6 years ago

Skirting the CoC [ph] diseases including MLS are the result of sin upon all of creation.  Thus we have people born with malformities and genetic corruption that result in diseases.

Mr Hawking though did reap the fruit of his rebellion against God, which opened him to the devil and his death and destruction

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.20  livefreeordie  replied to  Gordy327 @13.5.18    6 years ago

Sin in the world produces the corruptions that include viruses and bad bacteria (there are necessary good bacteria in our gut system).

My years in Quality Improvement in industry taught me to look for the true root cause rather than tertiary causes or symptoms.  you make the usual error of those who don't try and find the true root cause.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.21  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.19    6 years ago
You seem to have a cognitive disability.

You must be projecting, especially given your apparent lack of understanding of modern medicine.

diseases including MLS are the result of sin upon all of creation. Thus we have people born with malformities and genetic corruption that result in diseases

That's nice. Prove it! Of course, you will have to first discredit the Germ Theory of Disease to that.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.22  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.20    6 years ago
Sin in the world produces the corruptions that include viruses and bad bacteria (there are necessary good bacteria in our gut system).

Still waiting for you o prove it!

My years in Quality Improvement in industry taught me to look for the true root cause rather than tertiary causes or symptoms.

Making up your own causes based on nothing but irrational and illogical dogmatic nonsense does not count as a "true cause."

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.23  livefreeordie  replied to  TᵢG @13.5.16    6 years ago

Is the earth perfect?  why don't people live forever? 

The earth was corrupted and death and disease are rampant because sin entered the world and allowed the destroyer, Satan to rule over this world until Jesus executes final judgment and dissolves the earth with what amounts to a massive hydrogen explosion

"But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up."    2 Peter 3:7-10

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.5.24  livefreeordie  replied to  Gordy327 @13.5.22    6 years ago

Other than ad hominem attacks, you never present anything substantive

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.5.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @13.5.6    6 years ago

LOL! Good point. 

I want to know if it's the cussing, drinking, or swearing that caused my sore throat this week. I'm sure my doctor would appreciate the help in the diagnostic process.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.5.26  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.24    6 years ago
'you never present anything substantive'

Take a look in the mirror preacher man.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.5.27  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.19    6 years ago
You seem to have a cognitive disability.

Not the best way to start a reply.

diseases including MLS are the result of sin upon all of creation.  Thus we have people born with malformities and genetic corruption that result in diseases.

Repeating your claim is not evidence.   It simply shows that you have nothing to offer other than a claim.   In other words, rather than repeatedly claim that diseases are a result of sin, provide the evidence to back up that absurd claim.

Mr Hawking though did reap the fruit of his rebellion against God, which opened him to the devil and his death and destruction

What is sad is that you, as a preacher, are teaching this nonsense to impressionable young minds.   Teaching them that an honorable man such as Stephen Hawking who has contributed to society in such a positive way as a teacher, leader, author, scientist, speaker, parent and spouse is suffering an eternity in Hell.   Truly despicable IMO.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.28  Gordy327  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.24    6 years ago
Other than ad hominem attacks,

Specify where I made any such attack! That's also funny, since you inferred that TiG had a "cognitive disability." So what was that about ad hom attacks? 

you never present anything substantive

That's hilarious coming from you. Especially since you have yet to answer any challenge made! you just spew the same nonsensical theistic tripe.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.5.29  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.23    6 years ago
Is the earth perfect? 

Define your criteria for perfection .   Without that, your question is vague to the point of meaningless.

why don't people live forever? 

Because our regenerative systems lose efficacy as we age.

The earth was corrupted and death and disease are rampant because sin entered the world and allowed the destroyer, Satan to rule over this world until Jesus executes final judgment and dissolves the earth with what amounts to a massive hydrogen explosion

Deliver evidence of this nonsense.   I could offer that death and disease are the result of Nosoi escaping Pandora's jar .   I have the same amount (and quality) of evidence as you.

" But ...

Scripture is not evidence.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.5.30  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.13    6 years ago

so you've said, however the evidence shows otherwise or as Gordy would say "prove it".

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.5.31  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.14    6 years ago
No because the result of sin entering the earth has caused not just people, but the earth itself to be a departure from the perfection that God intended.  Sin corrupts the entire earth physically and spiritually

if sin is something that is the result of an action of a human - how is the entire earth physically and spiritually corrupted  from sin ? the earth itself cannot sin - by definition - since it is not a human and cannot sin. You are treating sin as if it were a virus of it's own or a disease by itself and provide no proof of it.

My years in Quality Improvement in industry taught me to look for the true root cause rather than tertiary causes or symptoms.

this is quite an odd statement. Do "true root" causes normally appear with no empirical evidence or logical proof to back them up ?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.5.32  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.5.25    6 years ago
I want to know if it's the cussing, drinking, or swearing that caused my sore throat this week. I'm sure my doctor would appreciate the help in the diagnostic process.

Well as much as I understand the cause of disease now, I would say all the sins you stated did indeed caused your sore throat.  Now I'm not sure I completely understand the cure but I think it's either pray to the right god in the right way or buy some throat lozenges.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.5.33  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @13.5.32    6 years ago

I'm gonna go with throat lozenges because God doesn't give a shit

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.5.34  Phoenyx13  replied to  Freefaller @13.5.32    6 years ago
Well as much as I understand the cause of disease now, I would say all the sins you stated did indeed caused your sore throat.

well i'm not sure its necessarily just the sins that Trout Giggles committed that caused the sore throat - i think its all the sins that any human, that has ever existed, has committed which has caused Trout Giggles sore throat. Or i could be wrong ? this is getting very confusing. it does give new meaning to the phrase of suffering for the sins of your father.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.5.35  Trout Giggles  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.5.34    6 years ago

Holy shit! So all that cussing my dad did is to blame, too????

Boy...talk about unfair....

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.5.36  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago
Diseases are the result of the corrupting effects of sin upon the earth and all who are in it

I agree Larry.   It's clear that your sky fairy chose to afflict Hawking with the ALS demon due to his flagrant sinning, particularly for his penchant for trying to understand the universe rather than blindly following Bronze-age superstitions.   How arrogant of him!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.5.37  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.20    6 years ago
there are necessary good bacteria in our gut system

So the "good bacteria" are the ones which choose not to sin, and the "bad bacteria" are the ones which choose to sin?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.5.38  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.23    6 years ago

That's an excellent explanation which I'm sure will significantly advance medical science.......although it does seem that the concepts of "hydrogen" and "explosion" are anachronistic to Bronze-age mythologies.     Heck, gunpowder didn't even exist at the time.

why don't people live forever?

Doesn't your bible-babble claim that people used to live to 900 or more while single handedly building a massive ark which was large enough to hold all the species on the planet?   One of my neighbors is a lot like that.    So that means your sky fairy "designed" people to live to at least 969 but now deliberately sends demons to make people get old and sick and die at 1/10th of their original lifespan.    That seems unusually cruel, almost as cruel as how your sky fairy deliberately treated Stephen Hawking.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
13.5.39  Thrawn 31  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.1    6 years ago

If your god is all powerful and all knowing then by definition he is responsible for everything. Every single good or bad thing that happens to anyone your god is ultimately responsible for it. If your god is not all powerful or all knowing then is it really a god? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
13.5.40  Thrawn 31  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.23    6 years ago
Is the earth perfect?  why don't people live forever?  The earth was corrupted and death and disease are rampant because sin entered the world and allowed the destroyer, Satan to rule over this world until Jesus executes final judgment and dissolves the earth with what amounts to a massive hydrogen explosion

Um, question. Couldn't god just, you know, snap his fingers and make Satan vanish, wipe all our slates clean, and make the world perfect? Why go through all this nonsense instead? Does he just enjoy a challenge ( of course if he is omnipotent then nothing is actually a challenge)? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.41  Gordy327  replied to  Thrawn 31 @13.5.40    6 years ago
Couldn't god just, you know, snap his fingers and make Satan vanish, wipe all our slates clean, and make the world perfect?

Apparently not. That's why he demanded a blood sacrifice.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.42  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @13.5.30    6 years ago
or as Gordy would say "prove it".

You forgot the "that's nice" part. LOL

epistte
Junior Guide
13.5.43  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.13    6 years ago

Viruses are a very basic life form. They aren't the result of sin.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.5.44  Freefaller  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.5.34    6 years ago
this is getting very confusing

You're right it is confusing, now that I've caught up on my reading it is not just the cumulative sins of humans but also includes the sins of the planet (I have no idea how a planet sins though)

charger 383
Professor Silent
13.5.45  charger 383  replied to  epistte @13.5.43    6 years ago

Virus was here before man.  I think woman was last thing made in story of creation and in evolution virus was very early.  So how is virus a result of sin?  They were here before any sinning could be done.  Another thing that just doesn't fit together 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.46  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @13.5.45    6 years ago
Another thing that just doesn't fit together

None of the tripe livefree spews fits. It's all irrational dogmatic nonsense devoid of any reasoning or logic (or even sanity). 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.5.47  Skrekk  replied to  Gordy327 @13.5.41    6 years ago
Apparently not. That's why he demanded a blood sacrifice.

C'mon Gordy......it wouldn't be a primitive superstitious cult without at least some kind of blood sacrifice.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.5.48  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @13.5.42    6 years ago
You forgot the "that's nice" part. LOL

Yeah, if they're gonna steal your line, they should at least get it right.

Right?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.49  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @13.5.47    6 years ago
it wouldn't be a primitive superstitious cult without at least some kind of blood sacrifice.

Indeed. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.50  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.5.48    6 years ago

I know, right? LOL

But that's ok. Free's heart was in the right place. So I can let it pass.  :)

epistte
Junior Guide
13.5.51  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.20    6 years ago

Where is the empirical proof that sin is the causes of viruses and sickness? 

Pardon me if I don't believe that you don't work in statistical process control.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
13.5.52  Phoenyx13  replied to  livefreeordie @13.5.14    6 years ago

how did the Earth itself sin ? why would a planet be "punished" by a "God" for something it's inhabitants did that the planet itself could not prevent ?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.5.53  Gordy327  replied to  Phoenyx13 @13.5.52    6 years ago
how did the Earth itself sin ? why would a planet be "punished" by a "God" for something it's inhabitants did that the planet itself could not prevent ?

Given the smack down that everyone gave him, and Perrie's scolding, I doubt he'll be back to reply. But then, running off when he's been proven wrong or challenged seems to be a tactic of his.

Pedro
Professor Participates
13.6  Pedro  replied to  livefreeordie @13    6 years ago

You deserve some CoC violations for that assertion. At the very least. I wouldn't be shocked if in the pursuit of karmic balance, somebody out of the blue just walked up and punched you.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.6.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Pedro @13.6    6 years ago

so it is now a CoC violation for repeating the teachings of Jesus?  Can you show me where that is?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
13.6.2  Greg Jones  replied to  livefreeordie @13.6.1    6 years ago

This really is not the proper venue. You and other believers will never convince those of us who know better. I was subjected to years of this religious abuse as a child. It never did take because it defies reality and doesn't make sense. Why would a creator create something that he knew that would turn out to be imperfect, and then punish them for falling short.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.6.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  livefreeordie @13.6.1    6 years ago

It should be. I voted against proselyting on the CoC discussion/vote.

I hope the vote went my way because I know my middle finger gets numb from all the scrolling I have to do to avoid your nonsense

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.6.4  livefreeordie  replied to  Greg Jones @13.6.2    6 years ago

Let's see if I understand you correctly.   When I posit a defense of a comment I have made after attacks from others, you consider that to be attempting to change your views and beliefs?  Actually I'm under no illusions that most of the anti-God posters will ever change the reprobate minds.

But I do have an obligation to God to present His truths so that all people I encounter are without excuse.  what people do with those truth's will be up to them and they will answer to God.

As to why God created man knowing Adam and Eve would sin

God created everything for His pleasure and will

Worthy are You, O Lord; worthy are You, O God,
        to receive glory and honor and power.
    You alone created all things,
        and through Your will and by Your design, they exist and were created. Revelation 4:11

let's see if we can answer the question by analogy.

When parents have children, they know that their kids will eventually act in sinful and even harmful ways.  Yet, that doesn't stop them from having children. Why?  First of all, it is worth the risk of their rebellion to bring them into the world.  Second, the nature of love is to give, and by having children, the parents can better express their love.  Third, just because the children will sin and rebel doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.  Fourth, children have their own wills and can freely choose to rebel.  Knowing this, parents all over the world still have children.

Now that analogy doesn't fully answer the question but it at least gives us a glimpse at partial understanding.

Ultimately, God never desired that Adam and Eve would introduce sin into this world, but His love and desire for relationship with His creation also led Him to provide a solution (in the life death and resurrection of Jesus) that would lead to an eternal correction of that initial sin.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.6.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  livefreeordie @13.6.4    6 years ago
But I do have an obligation to God to present His truths so that all people I encounter are without excuse.  what people do with those truth's will be up to them and they will answer to God

That is called proselytizing and I think out of respect for every one here, you should stop it.

And now we're reprobates???

Do you ever ask God for forgiveness for all that name calling you do?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.6  Texan1211  replied to  livefreeordie @13.6.1    6 years ago

They don't even want to hear about anything to do with God or religion. They are fanatical about it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.6.7  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.6    6 years ago

No value [ph]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.8  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @13.6.7    6 years ago

Is that your standard got to? Or a selfie?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.6.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  livefreeordie @13.6.4    6 years ago
But I do have an obligation to God to present His truths so that all people I encounter are without excuse.  what people do with those truth's will be up to them and they will answer to God.

That is proselytizing, and as per the new CoC, you are not allowed to do it. I will let this pass this time, but any further comments like that will be removed as a violation. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.11  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.6.9    6 years ago

Not trying to be a dick, but are we all not proselytizing in one way or another? 

Are we all not trying, through debate,  to convert others to what we believe to be the truth?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.6.12  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.11    6 years ago
Not trying to be a dick,

Deleted CoC [SP]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.13  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @13.6.12    6 years ago

Are you suffering from a severe case of Deleted [SP]

Sounds like it!

I prefer flagging to retaliation SP

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
13.6.14  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @13.6.2    6 years ago
It never did take because it defies reality and doesn't make sense. Why would a creator create something that he knew that would turn out to be imperfect, and then punish them for falling short.

Holy shit.... it has happened, we actually agree on something! 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.15  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.11    6 years ago
Are we all not trying, through debate,  to convert others to what we believe to be the truth?

Personally speaking, my goal is to challenge viewpoints that seem to be wrong.   I see debate as a mechanism to separate fact from fiction, logic from absurdity, reason from nonsense.   One challenges; the challenged either rises to the occasion or engages in tactics (typically weak and obvious) to preserve the integrity of their position.

When it comes to proselytization  (which as used in this context means attempts to convert religious beliefs) that means that the individual is preaching.   Quoting scripture, making unsubstantiated claims, repeating mere beliefs, etc.   If the individual were to, instead, engage in actual debate by making a logical argument and putting forth evidence supporting their claims then that would be religious debate (thumbs up ) - not  proselytization.

In short, if one challenges beliefs (or viewpoints) with facts and logic, one is (by definition) engaging in normal debate.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.16  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.6    6 years ago
They don't even want to hear about anything to do with God or religion. They are fanatical about it.

Which religion are you referring to?

You claimed in another thread that you aren't religious, but instead are spiritual. You also claimed that you weren't a Christian. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.6.17  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @13.6.4    6 years ago

The no proselytizing rule kind of erases your entire raison d'etre, doesn't it?

But at least you still have fascist/communist/socialist/Obama to fall back on.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.18  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @13.6.16    6 years ago

That is correct. What part don't you understand?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.6.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Skrekk @13.6.17    6 years ago
The no proselytizing rule kind of erases your entire raison d'etre, doesn't it?

Heartbreaking.

angel

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.20  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @13.6.16    6 years ago

You keep attributing statements to me that I have never made.

Is that how you think you "win"--by lying about what I have said?

I DEFY you to point out ANYWHERE I have EVER denied being a Christian.

Like I said before--if you are going to just lie about what I post, why bother with you?

Please refrain from posting to me, especially since you lie.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.21  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.18    6 years ago
That is correct. What part don't you understand?

If you aren't a Christian then why are you agreeing with Livefreeordie, who is obviously a conservative Christian? You have very different gods and belief systems. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.22  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.20    6 years ago

Why not spell it out?   If you care about being misunderstood than just make things clear for the record.

You are an irreligious Christian.   You follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, you believe in a God (unspecified definition) and you do not consider any religion to be true.

Is that correct?   

So how do you define God?

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.23  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.20    6 years ago
I DEFY you to point out ANYWHERE I have EVER denied being a Christian.

Here are your claims.  from this thread;

I don't have a sect, nor do I attend church.

You logically cannot be a Christian if you do not have a religion.

That is a pretty big leap that skips over lots of middle ground as to how and why some people believe in God and prayer, but do not have a religion.

I can't see the logic he was using to determine I was an atheist because I don't; have a religion.

Do you know what he was trying to say that I am missing?

Here is more proof,

Don't use a Bible.

I do not have any religion.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.24  epistte  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.22    6 years ago
You are an irreligious Christian.

I agree with you. How can Texan logically be an irreligious member of the Christian religion? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.25  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @13.6.23    6 years ago

You continue to lie and post to me. I have asked repeatedly for you to refrain from posting to me. What part of that aren't you getting? Or are you not fluent in English?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.26  TᵢG  replied to  epistte @13.6.24    6 years ago
How can Texan logically be an irreligious member of the Christian religion?

There is a way.

One can follow the teachings attributed to Jesus Christ (the love thy neighbor theme) without believing that Jesus is the Son hypostasis of the Christian trinity.   However, if someone actually believes Jesus Christ to be divine, then they are not irreligious (by definition).

I doubt this will be explained ... just an endless game of 'guess my beliefs'.   Party

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.27  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.22    6 years ago

I don't have a religion. How much PLAINER can I make it for y'all?

It is QUITE possible to believe in God without having a religion.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.28  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.27    6 years ago

How do you define God?

I have asked you this several times so don't blame me that you have never answered.   If you want to be clear then define the God you believe in.

Saying you believe in God but are irreligious is vague to the point of being meaningless.   Epistte certainly is justified in her claim of contradiction given the more common definition of God (that being the Christian God).  Naturally she will assume that is what you mean by 'God'.

In short, you are being vague.  Don't blame others for your lack of clarity.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.29  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.25    6 years ago
You continue to lie and post to me. I have asked repeatedly for you to refrain from posting to me. What part of that aren't you getting? Or are you not fluent in English?

I used your own words to disprove your claims.

You do not get to decide who replies to your statements.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.30  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.28    6 years ago

You have asked, several times.

And I have answered, several times.

I will not answer that question because MY beliefs and MY opinion have NO bearing on what you believe.

And I don't think you give one damn what it is I believe.

I don't CARE what others believe. I have never tried to convert anyone, never tried to tell someone they were wrong, or "misguided", or illogical for whatever they believe in as far as God or religions go.

I respect whatever it is they believe. I may not agree with them, but who am I to judge others' beliefs?

Actually, what I believe is none of your business.

Stop asking.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.31  epistte  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.26    6 years ago
One can follow the teachings attributed to Jesus Christ (the love thy neighbor theme) without believing that Jesus is the Son hypostasis of the Christian trinity.

Logically you cannot claim to believe in god and not have a religion because even deism, which is almost secular, is a religion.

The fact that Texan denied the Bible cannot be ignored. How would he know about Jesus if he denies the bible?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.32  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.30    6 years ago

Then you have no grounds to complain about Epistte, et. al. noting that you position is a profound contradiction.

I gave you the means to fix the problem.  You choose to be vague.   Very well.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.33  epistte  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.32    6 years ago
Then you have no grounds to complain about Epistte, et. al. noting that you position is a profound contradiction.

He put the information out there, so we have the ability to address it. If he didn't want it to be part of the discussion, he should have kept his mouth shut.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.34  TᵢG  replied to  epistte @13.6.31    6 years ago

Good point (in terms of definitions).   But I (personally) would accept his irreligious claim if he defined God as 'sentient creator of the known universe' or equivalent.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.35  TᵢG  replied to  epistte @13.6.33    6 years ago

It sucks to paint oneself into a corner.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.36  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.32    6 years ago

Oh well.

I am sorry you didn't understand that I believe in God, am a Christian, and don't have a religion.

God didn't teach anyone religion.

Nor did Jesus.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.37  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @13.6.31    6 years ago

Never denied the Bible.

There you go again--lying about what I stated.

it is getting old.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.38  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.36    6 years ago
I am sorry you didn't understand that I believe in God, am a Christian, and don't have a religion.

You cannot be an irreligious Christian, unlike being a secular Jew.  It isn't logically possible because Christianity exists only as a religion.  How can you possibly be a Christian if you deny the Bible, unless you want to claim to be the reborn spirit of one of the 12 apostles?

Religion isn't like a Chinese takeout menu where you pick one item from each column.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.39  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.37    6 years ago

Never denied the Bible.

There you go again--lying about what I stated.

it is getting old.

Are you now trying to claim that you didn't say this, despite the proof?

Don't use a Bible.

I do not have any religion.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.40  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.36    6 years ago

I did understand that.   But you do not realize that your claim is a contradiction when one uses the common meaning of the terms?

Christian =  A person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Christianity .

Logically you are claiming to  believe in Christianity?  You are not playing a semantics game of being baptized but not really believing in Christianity?

God = Christian God

Right?  If you are a Christian and you believe in God then clearly the God you believe in is the Christian God.   Unless you are playing games.

Finally let's show the meaning of the word ' religion ':

Religion =  The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods .

So you believe in the Christian God yet you claim to be irreligious and thus do not belief in the Christian God.

See your contradiction?   Your problem.   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.41  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @13.6.39    6 years ago

Yes, I did write that.

Read it.

It CLEARLY states that I don't use a Bible.

Nowhere did I deny the Bible--in fact, I acknowledged its existence by stating I don't use it.

That would be akin to me telling you that you don't acknowledge Republicans because you may never vote for them.

Illogical.

Yes, you lied.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.42  epistte  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.34    6 years ago
But I (personally) would accept his irreligious claim if he defined God as 'sentient creator of the known universe' or equivalent.

That is not an irreligious belief in any sense. The idea of God as a sentient creator is a very religious idea and in the Bible, it exists in the book of Genesis. Obviously, that is a religious belief because it is not backed up by science.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.43  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @13.6.40    6 years ago

Perhaps we all don't use only the common definitions.

I have no problem.

Why would I?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.44  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.36    6 years ago
I am sorry you didn't understand

You are obviously not sorry given you are being intentionally vague.   

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.45  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.43    6 years ago

Perhaps not.   So you recognize why I asked you to define your terms.   Obviously my request was reasonable.   So it appears you are indeed simply playing a game.   Having fun?

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.46  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.43    6 years ago

The existence of a common language prohibits individual people from redefining words on their own. We cannot have a common language that permits us to exchange ideas and information if you get to make up your own definitions.  That would be just as illogical if you get to make up the value of numbers.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.6.47  TᵢG  replied to  epistte @13.6.46    6 years ago

Yeah but ambiguity is great when painted into a corner.   The world of equivocation.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.6.48  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.41    6 years ago
That would be akin to me telling you that you don't acknowledge Republicans because you may never vote for them.

Obviously I acknowledge republicans. I just don't vote for them. 

If I lied then prove it. I expect a public apology from you if you cannot. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.49  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @13.6.48    6 years ago

Of course you acknowledge Republicans, just like I acknowledged the Bible.

You said I didn't.

You lied.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.6.50  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @13.6.38    6 years ago
Religion isn't like a Chinese takeout menu where you pick one item from each column.

I'll take Cafeteria Christians for $100, Alex.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.6.51  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @13.6.8    6 years ago
'Is that your standard got to? Or a selfie?'

That was  my response to your agreeing with Mr. Crazy Preacher man.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.6.52  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @13.6.51    6 years ago

But is it a selfie or just your stock go-to answer?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
13.6.53  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.6.9    6 years ago

That is proselytizing, and as per the new CoC, you are not allowed to do it. I will let this pass this time, but any further comments like that will be removed as a violation.

Does that mean I need to change my screen name?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  livefreeordie @13    6 years ago

you're spamming John's seed

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.7.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.7    6 years ago

nonsense.  I began with a comment on Hawking's passing and have subsequently responded to those who responded to my comment..  It is likely that you disapprove of any conservative and especially conservative Christians from responding to questions, comments and attacks.

You would rather silence us so your totalitarian ideology is the only voice

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13.7.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.7    6 years ago
(deleted)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.7.3  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @13.7.1    6 years ago

No value {SP}

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.7.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  livefreeordie @13.7.2    6 years ago

you made the same comment 3 different times in 3 different threads

I only want you to stop preaching to people who don't want to listen. Save it for your Wednesday night bible study and don't forget to ask all your fellow bible believers to pray for us sinners at Newstalkers

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.7.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  livefreeordie @13.7.1    6 years ago

You have been spamming John's see with the same comment over and over about Hawkins. He just has been patient and didn't report you. 

epistte
Junior Guide
13.7.7  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @13.7.1    6 years ago
You would rather silence us so your totalitarian ideology is the only voice

What is Trout Giggles supposed ideology?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.7.8  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @13.7.1    6 years ago
totalitarian ideology

TG has a totalitarian ideology??  stunned

How on Earth do you define 'totalitarian'?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.7.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @13.7.7    6 years ago

Good question, Epi. I'm not sure I even have one.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.7.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @13.7.8    6 years ago

World domination?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Can't we discuss Hawking's life and theories without having it deteriorate into yet another boiler plate argument about God? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
14.1  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @14    6 years ago
Can't we discuss Hawking's life and theories without having it deteriorate into yet another boiler plate argument about God?

Well, it started out that way. Until certain theistic minded individuals decided to veer into a discussion about god.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
14.1.1  Randy  replied to  Gordy327 @14.1    6 years ago

God-damn them...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
16  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Very unfortunate, I always liked him. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
18  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

If the conversation does not return to discussing Stephen Hawking and only Stephen Hawking I am closing this seed. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
19  charger 383    6 years ago

Stephen Hawking's passing was noted by model railroad enthusiasts as his favorite toy was a model train and he remained interested in the hobby