╌>

Have You Been Watching The Teens Anti-Gun Protest On Television?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  224 comments

Have You Been Watching The Teens Anti-Gun Protest On Television?

This article is not really about the content of the presentation at the DC rally,  which is pretty straight forward and doesn't contain much information that we haven't heard before. 

What has really struck me about this event is the phenomenal enthusiasm, composure and performance from the Parkland high school students, and other kids, who have spoken from the podium, in front of tens of thousands of people directly in front of them and undoubtedly millions watching it all on television from home. 

Most of them have been very passionate, engaging, enthusiastic, and enjoying their appearance before the nation. 

It makes me wonder if the "new generation" , brought up more "in public" than any before in history, and perhaps more used to "performing"  via social media, You Tube, other home made videos and recordings , etc. will not prove to be much more effective at messaging than anyone has previously imagined. 

I think it actually and truly is a "new day" in the public arena. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I think this has been an important day for America, even beyond the gun control message. 

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    6 years ago

I am TOTALLY impressed with the new STARS rising from the ordinary that will define us. These are babes, the "New Breed," that will be a force for CHANGE! "I'm so CHANGED!"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  CB @2    6 years ago

I havent paid a lot of attention to these kids, but I have had it on tv for the past couple hours. 

I am blown away by these kids. Even the show biz nature of some of it seems natural. This is our new generation. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

Every television in the house is 'riveted' to the new faces that are demanding we come together to make change. Ordinary faces which are now inspiring household names.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago
This is our new generation.

They are the voters of tomorrow, and the politicians best listen up of they could see themselves on the outside looking in sooner than they think. These young people will be able to vote in the not too distant future, and they can make a great difference in our country.

Those who think they are merely a feather in the wind today may have to find out the hard way come tomorrow.

And, the toes the politicians step on today may belong to the azz of the votes they need tomorrow to stay in office and continue to gorge themselves at the taxpayers trough.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  Randy  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.2    6 years ago

Many of them are going to be voters of this fall and most of them will be voters of 2020. Those in power had better realize that these kids are not going to be voters just sometime in the distant future, but are here now and are influencing a lot of people to turn out and vote also.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Randy @2.1.3    6 years ago

Yes indeed. And if those who wish to think they are just a bunch of crack-pot, know nothing empty headed kids that don't have a clue, they will see who the empty heads are come election day. While some may not be able to vote this fall, they are sure to influence a great many of those who are eligible to vote. 

The NRA is already feeling the wrath of the people and losing money, and it ain't over yet. And the people are not going to be satisfied by token changes that don't really mean anything to save the NRA and their cushy political jobs. 

If they don't want to listen to them now, they can listen to them come election day, this year, and elections to come. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago
This is our new generation.

Recently I have come to know a lot of people of this generation (and older-- many I know are late teens,but many are much older-- even their early 30s). There is something unique about them.

And I saw the same thing in the protesters here-- but it was even stronger with them as they are even younger than the  28 year olds to thos in the mid 30s I've been meeting.

I tried to figure out exactly what is the quality I noticed that is so strong, and finally realize what it is-- they have a zero tolerance for bullshit! Its just that simple.

Older folks, even many who are well-meaning, have lived in  with the B.S., game playing, and manipulation are so prevalent they've often taken it for granted-- or don't even notice it. Or in some cases they "go along to get along".

But these kids (16, 17, 18 year olds) , for whatever reason, can't stand it anymore.

(This is the generation  that pissed off a lot of Democrats because many refused to vote against Trump-- they stayed home. An older generation of "Liberals" did go out and vote for Hillary. But many of these younger kids couldn't compromise their values,  and stayed home).

There are pros and cons to their attitude-- but IMO they won't take any more bullshit.

(They remind me of the mid in The Emperors New Clothes-- the Emperor waas marching along naked, but all of the crowd pretended he wasn't-- except for one child who yelled out that th Emperor was naked).

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @2.1.5    6 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

In all likelihood today was a historic day in America, and Newstalkers has completely missed the boat. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1  Skrekk  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

I listened to it in the background on the radio all day, but given how the wingnuts have denigrated these kids I think I'd have stayed out of any threads about it.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  CB  replied to  Skrekk @3.1    6 years ago

Conservatives can not take away these youths' power! That's the ha-ha. Let them try to mock change- it is the last gasps of a dying 'old guard.' The paint on the NRA facing is cracking. Their money is being exposed as old corrupt bills and coins. All these beautiful bright youths have to do is keep pointing to the grave sites plowed and seeded with other people's children! The thin veneer of lack of interest and respect by conservatives can and shall give way to pounding 'blasts' of truth!! Children rise up and 'articulate'! The "aged" some of them have and shall continue to crumble and fall into the sea of despair!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago
In all likelihood today was a historic day in America, and Newstalkers has completely missed the boat.

IMO its been the same with may other issues as well. And IMO often both liberals an conservatives do that here.

Why? Its a generational thing-- its hard to overcome decades of conditioning.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4  shona1    6 years ago

A/noon...As the saying goes..."From little acorns big Oak trees grow".....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  shona1 @4    6 years ago

There is an old Native American saying;

“Grown men can learn from very young children, for the hearts of the children are pure. Therefore, the children may show them many things which older people miss.”

Status quo no longer is the way of tomorrow. We have but to open our eyes and and minds to see the changes that are needed to make our world a better place for future generations. 

If we don't start now, for many, tomorrow may never come.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1    6 years ago

Nice to see 86 year old Dan Rather gets it

Today, the future spoke. Cynicism and fear took a back seat to optimism and hope. Today those who've long been told that their voices didn't matter, who've been handled with sanctimonious neglect, sang in a unified chorus - ignore us at your peril.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    6 years ago

Indeed he does, and has for a very long time. Unfortunately, too few have really listened.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.3  shona1  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.2    6 years ago

A/noon Raven..Just maybe the winds of change are stirring and in many respects sooner the better....No country is perfect, we are all far from it...But with the monotonous regularity of mass shootings that occur in the US, it truly is mind numbing...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  shona1 @4.1.3    6 years ago

Hi shona, yes, I agree. There is no such thing as a perfect human being, nor a perfect country or world. However, as humans we should always strive to be the best we can be, and provide the best country and world we can. Not only for those of us who live in it now, but, for those who will come after us. All countries suffer in some way, but, it is up to those who live there to do the best the can to make sure it is a safe and habitable place. That should be our own legacy. 

Have a good one (smile)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1    6 years ago
“Grown men can learn from very young children, for the hearts of the children are pure.

Yes-- that's exactly what I saw over and over again when watching these demonstrations on TV.

They lack the experience that older people have, and in some ways are naive. But their hearts and pure-- and they will learn what they need to learn over time.And I think that's why they made such a strong impression-- even amongst older folks who are normally quite jaded.For whatever reason, this is "an idea whose tie has come"

(We can debate why its happening now, and why, for example, it didn't happen after Sandy Hook or numerous previous times there was massive gun slaughters. An interesting discussion-- but the point is it is happening . Its a true sea change). 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.5    6 years ago

(We can debate   why   its happening now, and why, for example, it didn't happen after Sandy Hook or numerous previous times there was massive gun slaughters. An interesting discussion-- but the point is it is happening . Its a true  sea change  AKA  a "paradigm shift"). 

Reminds me of two quotes:

1. “Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”

--Victor Hugo

2.   Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.7  CB  replied to  Krishna @4.1.5    6 years ago

it didn't happen after Sandy Hook or numerous previous times there was massive gun slaughters.

These children waited for the adults to lead, to save them, as they sprouted to defend themselves. This group was being "seeded" into the dirt of our society for undefined purposes. Then, purpose sought them out and defined them. These youths ability to articulate comes from kids who grew to hate drills, hiding under desks, barricaded rooms, when they had no voice, no platform, no sound. The youth knew somebody should have stood up for them; now they stand up for themselves and the kids remaining in "the system."  This is their secret weapon and its perpetual engine: the babes growing up in the system.  The babes have discovered they are their own heroes! They have been waiting on themselves!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @4.1.5    6 years ago
For whatever reason, this is "an idea whose tie has come"

Indeed it has. And is long over due. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5  Randy    6 years ago

I have been watching a lot of it and have been very, very impressed with these young men and women. They are impassioned, intelligent, very driven and very well spoken. They give me hope that the future of our country is in far better hands then I had thought it was going to be. I hope and believe that they all register and vote.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
6.1  Uncle Bruce  replied to  JohnRussell @6    6 years ago

Nice post John.  Well, there you go. A teenage lesbian who wants to take away peoples’ right to self defense, wearing the flag of a country who imprisoned and murdered gay people, after making sure only the state was armed.

29511421_2092702257618654_8195414142057426223_n.jpg

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.1  lib50  replied to  Uncle Bruce @6.1    6 years ago

She is Cuban, and wearing it doesn't mean she supports the Castro regime.  And although republicans might have cared about not supporting authoritarian leaders in the past, the recent lovefest with Putin shows that is not the case now. So BFD.

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.3  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.2    6 years ago

I'm speaking of the Trump/GOP Russian lovefest, as you well know

Now we are finally expelling diplomats, and I'm sure it is killing Trump inside to go against his puppetmaster.  It is being done IN SPITE of him, not because he wants to do it.  That in no way changes Trumps subservience to Putin, you can't wipe out years of this.  And really, trying to compare Trump's relationship to Putin and Obamas is not working.  Everybody knows the difference in approaches between them, and Trump is the one who can't say anything bad about Putin.  TO THIS DAY!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Uncle Bruce @6.1    6 years ago

If she is a lesbian - what the fuck does it have to do with fucking anything?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Uncle Bruce @6.1    6 years ago

Bruce , she's Cuban heritage.  If she were Russian heritage and wearing a Russian flag would you be complaining?

Maybe she wears the Cuban flag out of a sense of hopefulness about Cuba's future. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1.8  Greg Jones  replied to  Uncle Bruce @6.1    6 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.7    6 years ago

Thank you Mr. Irrelevance.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.10  CB  replied to  Uncle Bruce @6.1    6 years ago

Are you talking about the love of a loaded gun or bullet-riddled bodies "ghosting" schools all across the United States? What does a kid's life, any kid, not just the throw-away ones, go for in your part of the country? So what am I saying? If you look at any of us long enough you will see our warts, stomp toes, and dirty fingernails. But look into the inner man, woman, and child and know that it wants to live just as much as you.These children wish to live to see old age, or at least to get out of the captive setting of the school system, just like you and yours.

Do not turn this into a matter of patriotism. These kids are asking to live! Life first - Patriotism second! Priorities in right order!

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.11  lib50  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.7    6 years ago

You made me laugh in spite of myself.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.12  Dulay  replied to  Uncle Bruce @6.1    6 years ago
A teenage lesbian who wants to take away peoples’ right to self defense, wearing the flag of a country who imprisoned and murdered gay people, after making sure only the state was armed.

Perhaps you can explain why you think that her sexual orientation is pertinent to this issue. Please be specific.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

All very impressive. It's great to see they speaking out and making a statement.

Kudos

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    6 years ago

There is another old Native American saying that is very true;

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf"

The message these young people are carrying to the people is one that desperately needs to be heard. The world is their tomorrow, and they have a right to seek the best one we can leave them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Kim Jong Orange Retweeted The Hill

GOP Profiles In Courage, Vol. 1

Kim Jong Orange added,

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9    6 years ago

Yeah, those signs look like they really have a lot to do with protesting gun laws.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    6 years ago

DZFT6mTU0AAWKMi.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.1    6 years ago

oooh, a sign!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.1    6 years ago

Why were there anti-Trump signs at a rally protesting gun violence?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
9.1.4  Cerenkov  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.3    6 years ago

Their handlers may have blurred the message.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Cerenkov @9.1.4    6 years ago

i suppose it must be hard to keep that hatred for Trump up 24/7, 365 days a year, and still find time to scream at the sky on one day and protest tax cuts for Americans and gun violence all at the same time!

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1.6  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.3    6 years ago

Maybe everybody with a beef decided to come out.  Whatever the reason, it doesn't bode well for republicans.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @9.1.6    6 years ago

yeah, I have heard it before.

remember when the Dems took back the House in 2012? Or wait a minute, perhaps it was 2014 or 2016.

And the Senate in 2016?

And the WH in 2016?

Remember when Dems said the GOP wouldn't see the WH again unless they were invited by Dems?

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.8  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.3    6 years ago
Why were there anti-Trump signs at a rally protesting gun violence?

Because Trump is one of the main obstacles in the way of getting sensible laws passed that would decrease gun violence. 

Ryan and McConnell refuse to even bring some of the sensible measures proposed to a vote if the president says he won't sign it if it passed. Trump has a lot  of influence-- and so far in in opposition to anything that would make a difference in a positive way.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @9.1.8    6 years ago

What has the President said he wouldn't sign regarding a new gun control law?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1.10  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @9.1.8    6 years ago
Because Trump is one of the main obstacles in the way of getting sensible laws passed that would decrease gun violence.

What kind of sensible gun  laws are you talking about? What about all the current sensible gun laws on the books?  Think hard now.

Political Cartoons by Glenn McCoy

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.9    6 years ago
What has the President said he wouldn't sign regarding a new gun control law?

What has Trump said that he didn't flip flop on? Mexico paying for the wall yet? Or is it 'M" now? 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.12  Raven Wing  replied to  Dulay @9.1.11    6 years ago
Mexico paying for the wall yet? Or is it 'M" now?

Now Trump is wanting the Pentagon to pay for the border wall. He is said to be working on that behind the scenes. Guess he finally got the message that Mexico will not be paying for it. 

Source:

If you don't like my source, just Google it for yourself. It's not hard to find.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.13  Dulay  replied to  Raven Wing @9.1.12    6 years ago

'M' is for military...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.14  Raven Wing  replied to  Dulay @9.1.13    6 years ago

Ok...thanks. I thought it was for something else. With Trump, you never know what he will come up with of the wall. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @9.1.11    6 years ago

if you can't answer my question, it is fine.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.15    6 years ago
if you can't answer my question, it is fine.

Trump's own spokesmen have insisted that Trump's statements shouldn't be taken literally therefore the question of what Trump has or hasn't said is moot. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @9.1.16    6 years ago

Then it would seem rather pointless to say what Trump has or hasn't said he would sign or veto, as the poster I responded to did.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.18  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.17    6 years ago
Then it would seem rather pointless to say what Trump has or hasn't said he would sign or veto, as the poster I responded to did.

Actually, the poster you responded to said that McConnell and Ryan won't even vote on any proposal that Trump hasn't said he would sign. That prerequisite is not only pointless, it's an abdication of their duty. Ironically, when Obama stated he would veto a proposal, it seemed to motivate them to vote for it over and over again. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @9.1.18    6 years ago

The poster claimed Trump was the major obstacle to passage of gun control. Surely you can know that it is false, right?

For the record, Obama only used the veto 12 times in 8 years--hardly what most people would consider over and over and over again.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.20  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.19    6 years ago
Surely you can know that it is false, right?

Yes, if it were false I would know it. 

For the record, Obama only used the veto 12 times in 8 years--hardly what most people would consider over and over and over again.

There's that lack of reading comprehension again. I said that they VOTED over and over again for proposals that they knew Obama would veto. The House vote to repeal Obamacare how many times through 2016? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @9.1.20    6 years ago

IF it were false?? It is false.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.22  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.21    6 years ago

Proof?

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     6 years ago

Seems that Robert Kraft, owner of the NE Patriots is on board with the students.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/patriots-fly-stoneman-douglas-students-to-march-for-our-lives/vi-BBKEe81","sourceFriendly":"Stadium","sourceLogo":"https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AApevLf.img","title":"Patriots fly Stoneman Douglas students to 'March for Our Lives'","uuid":"BBKEe81","uuidBase32":"B6FPSHVTJ","playerName":"120Sports","playerUrl":"https://secure.ui.bamstatic.com/120sports/util/embed/ots.embed.js","tags":[{"ns":"ProviderTags","value":"System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]"},{"ns":"jobEnvironment","value":"System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]"},{"ns":"jobInstanceName","value":"System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]"},{"ns":"feedUrl","value":"http://feeds.watchstadium.com/feeds/feed_62.xml"},{"ns":"externalPlayerName","value":"120Sports"},{"ns":"externalPlayerUri","value":"https://secure.ui.bamstatic.com/120sports/util/embed/ots.embed.js"}],"headlineImage":{"url":"https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBKEgny.img"}}" data-id="55" data-m="{"i":55,"p":52,"n":"inline-player","y":8,"o":3}" data-playertype="Html5" tabindex="0">
Video player from: Stadium   ( Privacy Policy )

High school students from Parkland, Florida and their families were able to fly to Washington, D.C. for the "March for our Lives" protest against gun violence with help from New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

According to the   Boston Globe , Kraft provided the team plane to fly the families of the 17 victims of the shooting, as well as those who were injured, to D.C.

Students posted about the gesture on social media.

Heading to D.C. & I’m so thankful to be here with so many amazing people. Thank you @ Patriots for donating your plane to help us get to D.C.! And always so happy to have @ isabelabarry by my side through everything I do✨ 💗

Per the Globe , a Patriots spokesman said Kraft provided the plane after a request from former Arizona representative Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly.

A parent on the flight, Meredith Barry,   told ABC News   that each seat had a gift from Kraft as well as a letter expressing support for the march.

"On behalf of the New England Patriots organization I want to express our support as you travel to Washington for this weekend's March For Our Lives. In the wake of incredible tragedy, we have hurt for you, mourned with you, and been inspired by you. It is an honor for us to now partner with you as you push for progress.

Your commitment is stirring our country towards a better future. That is the true mark of a patriot. Thank you for your leadership and inspiration. Best wishes as you prepare for takeoff on your journey."

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
11  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

I saw a little and it reminded me of the Jon Stewart - Colbert march on Washington. I'm not part of the demographics this march is targeted towards. It looked to me like a bunch of commies willing to trade their freedom for bigger more intrusive government. Colorado public radio ran a story about all the people out at the local shooting ranges yesterday and I found that coverage more upbeat with a positive message. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty @11    6 years ago

I went to the Stewart and Colbert event and it was the most people I had ever seen in one place at one time.  Saturday’s event had 800,000 people, and from what I understand they were turning late arrivals away because of capacity.  It speaks volumes that you are countering that with a minor bump in traffic at the gun range.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1    6 years ago

People go to gun ranges every single day.

Protests are a one-time event.

It is easy for young people to be swept up in a wave of emotion.

It makes them feel as though they are making a difference because they are protesting gun violence--which the vast majority of people are against.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    6 years ago

which the vast majority of people are against

Lol - myopia much?  Tell you what, why don’t you organize a nationwide counter protest in support of guns, and then we’ll compare.  Actually, I think that already happened yesterday, and Dean described the outcome.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1.2    6 years ago

Read it again.

I CLEARLY stated that the vast majority of people are against gun violence.

If you don't believe that to be true, you might be a sick puppy!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.3    6 years ago

I did misread, but the gist of your position is to minimize the significance of yesterday’s event.  When you guys protest in the streets to support your positions, it ends up being a few unsavory illiterates marching around with tiki torches or assault rifles strapped to your backs.  When we do it, we show that there is hope for the future in the upcoming generations with massive turnouts, and the nation pays attention.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1.4    6 years ago

Ok. Let's see hw long it lasts.

Will it be like Occupy Wall Street?

A footnote in the dustbin of history?

I said not one disparaging word, and you just want to read that I did. Perhaps you misread that, too.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.5    6 years ago

They will eventually vote.  Just wait and you will see how long it lasts.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1.6    6 years ago

Heard it all before.

Still waiting.

And young voters typically and historically have the lowest turnout in voting.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1.6    6 years ago

That's what they said about the Occupy movement, too.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    6 years ago

Protests are a one-time event

Since Trump was inaugurated, there has been a protest every day, somewhere in the United States.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.1.9    6 years ago

Which has absolutely nothing to do with protesting gun violence, and more to do with disgruntled Americans mad their side didn't win.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.7    6 years ago
'And young voters typically and historically have the lowest turnout in voting.'

That's changing as these kids are tired of seeing their friends murdered - I imagine that will change this NOVEMBER AS THEY VOTE BLUE.

And also in future elections.

Keep discounting these kids to your detriment.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.10    6 years ago
'Which has absolutely nothing to do with protesting gun violence, and more to do with disgruntled Americans mad their side didn't win.'

You are incorrect, as usual.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.11    6 years ago

So other kids weren't tired? WTF?

Make sense, please.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.12    6 years ago

Uh, s-u-r-e. O-k-i-e-d-o-k-i-e.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
11.1.17  Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1.4    6 years ago
When you guys protest in the streets to support your positions, it ends up being a few unsavory illiterates marching around with tiki torches or assault rifles strapped to your backs.

And then they murder someone...

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.18  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    6 years ago

Texan, they are protesting "death" as in dead humanity. As in, they used to have to worry only about some President getting them killed overseas, then it drilled down to gangs and violence on the streets, now, they get slaughtered not out in the open or on the playground, but while sitting "captives" in seats the adults told them they ought to be safe in. This is not a simple case of "gun violence" for such cases happen 'out there' - this is personal. These kids and youth have the battle scars and horrific nightmares to boot as proof!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.18    6 years ago

Well, no one is "for" death and violence.

I can empathize with the tragedy these kids have suffered through.

But you have to admit, it is easy to be swept up in emotion, and I think that is happening with these kids.

Getting to be heard, on national tv, and interviewed by multiple media sources, are all a thrill for someone so young, even though we all know they circumstances are tragic.

But what happens when the cameras aren't on them?

What happens when the money to go here or there to protest or make speeches dries up?

What happens when their young minds are diverted by thousands of other things?

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.20  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.19    6 years ago
Getting to be heard, on national tv, and interviewed by multiple media sources, are all a thrill for someone so young, even though we all know they circumstances are tragic.

What? Are your really worried that kids like your own are glory-hounds?!!!

This time in 2017, the Parkland school kids were "diverted by a thousand other things." Like girls, boys, college, skills training. . . .  up to and touching February 2018, they were full of emotions.  And look what FATE has wrought: Now they are full of SHOCK!

YOU and I, we, us, were obligated, dedicated even, to keep these kids safe. We did not! And we dare open our mouths to mock them as glory-hounds?!!!

Unbelievable! YOU and I, we, us, fail them all over again when we think its 'smart' to re-traumatize their stresses and strains of personal loss and even relative success in the aftermath of a disaster they bear alone (as kids).

It's only been a little over a month, and conservatives are verbally re-victimizing these kids and seeking to shut them up by tearing at the threads of their weakened psyches.  We owe God and Country an apology for this callous treatment of our 'babes.'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.20    6 years ago

I wasn't mocking them. Just stating the facts. What they went through was horrible, but what law would have stopped this?

Sometimes the answer ISN'T more laws. Sometimes the answer is strict enforcement of the laws we already have.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.22  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.21    6 years ago
what law would have stopped this?

The 'law' you swore to every kid in this country you have ever cared about and  loved: "Your First Love."  That we would never ever stand by and let anyone come from outside and hurt them!

Before the running sick joke became dehumanizing them on social media platforms, talking about tangential put-downs, trashing their 'carcases,' simply because they dared to stand up to us! Look at the careless images on this board: We are not kids. We are adults and that boy and that girl on our boards is hurting inside (it's only been a little over a month), is taking on the state, the nation, and the world has come calling!They are not formally trained, they are acting on "mother-wit," desperation, and self-advocacy. Do they make it look easy? Is that it: Easy??

They are your children. Your children! Your children!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.22    6 years ago

That is a passionate speech, but doesn't answer the question of what law would have prevented this tragedy?

I would like to hear what you propose that would be effective.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.22    6 years ago

You seem to be under the impression that I don't care, but you couldn't be farther from the truth.

But instead of bloviating, I want to hear concrete proposals that could actually work.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.25  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.23    6 years ago

You would like to argue, whether. Well, not today.  Let me do this right now:

Conscience, meet Conservativismreintroduce yourselves!

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.26  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.24    6 years ago

Your first loves, the babes, the children, the young adults,

need 'old heads' will hands and hearts

in the room.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.25    6 years ago

Ah, but I am not arguing.

Asking you what you propose other than "Let's DO something!" isn't arguing--it is trying to understand what you want to see done that will be effective.

if you don't HAVE any ideas that would work, that's okay--just say so.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.26    6 years ago

Why are you posting that instead of your ideas that would work?

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.29  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.28    6 years ago

Shutdown then. It's okay. Somehow, we're work through this without you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.29    6 years ago

That's one problem--you aren't trying to work through ANYTHING.

I have asked quite respectfully a number of times what you would like to see enacted to reduce gun violence, and you have not-so-artfully dodged the question EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I'm not shutting down, I am trying to understand what it is you want besides the generic "The end of all gun deaths".

if you HAVE no ideas, simply state so.

If you do, please share them.

Blaming the NRA, gun lobbyists, conservatives, and the GOP does absolutely nothing to solve the problem you claim to want solved so desperately.

I'm all ears if you have ANY proposals at all.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.31  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.30    6 years ago

I'm done. The kids will have to do this. The adults are missing from the finish line. I'm good now. How about you? You good?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.31    6 years ago

Not really.

I guess some of us are serious and you aren't.

heck, you don't even have any ideas!

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.33  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.32    6 years ago

Nope. I'm "spent" like that figurative shell-casing.  Thanks for sharing. (Smile.)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.33    6 years ago

Yeah, passion usually falls short of solutions to problems.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.35  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.34    6 years ago

For the record your 11.1.30 told me everything I need to know. Time has value. So, I'm moving on. . . .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.35    6 years ago

See ya!

Do come back when you can share your proposals--if you ever get any.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.37  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.36    6 years ago

Actually, these kids' passion will have to do ya'. Conservatives have heard nearly everything else that money can by. Consciences, people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.38  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.37    6 years ago

That's kind of funny coming from someone with absolutely no solutions.

Blaming others must make you feel better, no?

Got your fill? Happy now?

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.39  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.38    6 years ago

Yes, I am feeling so stellar now! Good evening, Texan'!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
11.1.40  Randy  replied to  CB @11.1.31    6 years ago
I'm done. The kids will have to do this. The adults are missing from the finish line.

When I was listening to the speeches I heard one of the kids give a very impassioned speech. He was a Parkland student named Marc something I believe. About 18 I would guess. He was talking about the adults who had tried and tried to stop the gun deaths and to change the laws to stop the school shootings and fighting the NRA and he ended the speech with words along the lines of "To all of you who tried, don't worry. We got this!"

I loved that! I believe in these kids and I believe they can and will change America!

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.41  CB  replied to  Randy @11.1.40    6 years ago
I believe in these kids and I believe they can and will change America!

I believe in them. The attacks against them have started in earnest. The mockings, the blogs, the articles, the name-callings, the dehumanizing caricatures, the character assassinations, the buyouts, the buyins, the "trappings." The lawyering letters that will appear with threats of legally injuring them over all the activities they may unknowing associate themselves into, the hidden cameras—James O'Keefe fashion, the Breitbart.com-styled news, Fox News, conservative news rags, and so forth and so on. . . . 

Randy! It has only been little more than a month and these youths are confronting "the Conservative Machine." I pray for them to be encouraged and to have abnormal strengths of character to do feats of heroic acts throughout!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
11.1.42  Randy  replied to  CB @11.1.41    6 years ago

I think that they are so full of the feeling of being right and their own strength that they just plain don't give a damn about the attacks. The right wing underestimated these kids and attacked them too late. They are too strong for all of the bullshit now and besides they are so social media savvy that they see it all for what it is and know how to shoot it down. They have been online and on their phones and on social sites every since they could type and they have seen every kind of shot and insult and lie that has ever been online. The right wing may be good, but these kids are pros!

They think in online terms. That's why the right wing had to come up with the lie that these kids could not have possibly organized this march and that they could not have helped organize marches around the world without a whole lot of help from some sort of left wing organizations, when in fact they did! The right wing can not get their tiny minds around the idea that the kids of 17 and 18 today are so sophisticated and so connected by social media that they can do stuff like this all by themselves. That they really have that amount of power. So they have to make up conspiracies and lies about it. But once they realize that these kids really can organize on the level that they did this past weekend by themselves, then they'll be very, very scared. And rightly so!

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.43  CB  replied to  Randy @11.1.42    6 years ago

You may be so right. And, it would be additional evidence that the future is in good hands. All these youths might have needed was a sad, sickening, catalyst to help them shake and disrupt the politics of right now! They will not be "PREY." I admire that in them. Steady On!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
11.1.44  Randy  replied to  CB @11.1.43    6 years ago

I have been waiting for a new generation like in the late 1960's and early 70's, except political instead of violent. Determined to effect change and determined not to be stopped and I hope these are the kids I have been hoping to see. Considering the shithole of the current government and the assholes running and ruining it they maybe arriving just in time too! Right now our government is headed toward an Authoritative state with the checks and balances weak and ineffective and Trump grabbing more power. We need strong young voices and fighters to stop our decent into it.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.45  CB  replied to  Randy @11.1.44    6 years ago

Randy! They are babes. I saw a 'darling' of Saturday morning television in an 11 year old speaking to a crowd of millions!  A future Toastmasters candidate? Are will she simply bypass that esteem organization and head to the 'front' of social change in our country? Babes, all!

A generation. Set to knock on doors and aid campaigns all between lunch and homework. My. My.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.2  Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty @11    6 years ago
I saw a little and it reminded me of the Jon Stewart - Colbert march on Washington. I'm not part of the demographics this march is targeted towards. It looked to me like a bunch of commies willing to trade their freedom for bigger more intrusive government. Colorado public radio ran a story about all the people out at the local shooting ranges yesterday and I found that coverage more upbeat with a positive message.

Thanks for posting that!

It reminds me of an old saying:

It is better to keep your moth shut and be thought an idiot, then to open it and remove all doubt! 

Good work Dean, good work! winking

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
12  Greg Jones    6 years ago

Ah yes, hope and change, wonder where we have heard that before? Manipulating the emotions of the young and vulnerable is a well know tactic of the left.

And how will those changes be accomplished...more common sense gun laws and stricter and universal background checks?? Nothing will be done to secure the schools or make it more difficult for a deranged and determined person to gain access to them. All this overly enthusiastic optimism will dissipate over the next few weeks and nothing will have changed.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
12.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Greg Jones @12    6 years ago

Don't waste a tragedy... 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
12.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Cerenkov @12.1    6 years ago

Like the celebration of Blaine Gaskill’s heroism, with zero regard for the difference between a lovesick kid in school with a handgun and a kid armed to the teeth with an assault rifle spraying bullets at anything that moves in a school hallway?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
12.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Greg Jones @12    6 years ago

These kids have their own minds, opinions, and outrage yet you dismiss them as if they were flies buzzing around your head because of what flies are attracted to.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @12.2    6 years ago
These kids have their own minds, opinions, and outrage yet you dismiss them as if they were flies buzzing around your head because of what flies are attracted to.

They are expressing selective outrage.  If gun control and safe schools were really a concern for them, they would have been this vocal BEFORE the shooting.  The ONLY thing that got them off their asses is the fact that a shooting happened in their school.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.2.2  Dulay  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.2.1    6 years ago
They are expressing selective outrage.

Are you suggesting that they should be attempting to solve all the woes of the world? 

If gun control and safe schools were really a concern for them, they would have been this vocal BEFORE the shooting. 

Actually, NO. They should be doing their homework and preparing for finals. They're high school students. In OUR society, ADULTS are responsible for regulating guns and ensuring school safety. 

The ONLY thing that got them off their asses is the fact that a shooting happened in their school.

Again, in our society, high school students shouldn't have to 'get off their asses' in order to avoid being murdered while attending school. That responsibility lies with US. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Greg Jones @12    6 years ago
Nothing will be done to secure the schools or make it more difficult for a deranged and determined person to gain access to them.

But they aren't trying to stop the deranged and determined person.  They are trying to stop the big scary guns.

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.3.1  Dulay  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.3    6 years ago
But they aren't trying to stop the deranged and determined person. They are trying to stop the big scary guns.

You make the mistake of pretending those are mutually exclusive. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12.3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Dulay @12.3.1    6 years ago
You make the mistake of pretending those are mutually exclusive.

Without the deranged person (the real problem that everybody is ignoring), the gun is harmless.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.3.3  Dulay  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.3.2    6 years ago
Without the deranged person (the real problem that everybody is ignoring), the gun is harmless.

Actually, the 'deranged person' isn't being ignored and none of them would be anywhere near as dangerous without the gun. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12.3.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Dulay @12.3.3    6 years ago
Actually, the 'deranged person' isn't being ignored and none of them would be anywhere near as dangerous without the gun.

Try again.  The "deranged person" was ignored by local and federal law enforcement.  A failure by law enforcement and you want to put them in charge of enforcing gun laws?  That's a whole new level of idiocy.  In other cases, the deranged is ignored by EVERYBODY.  Classmates, friends, neighbors, relatives, law enforcement.....

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.3.4    6 years ago
Try again. The "deranged person" was ignored by local and federal law enforcement. A failure by law enforcement and you want to put them in charge of enforcing gun laws? That's a whole new level of idiocy. In other cases, the deranged is ignored by EVERYBODY. Classmates, friends, neighbors, relatives, law enforcement.....

They treated him like they do every other 'disgruntled' teenager man-children. Our society has created a plethora of them whose actions inundate school counselors, social workers and LEOs all across the country. The VAST majority of his contact with LEOs was BEFORE he was armed with weapons. 

I'm sure that with your vast knowledge, you are aware of the hoops LEOs have to go through to preclude someone from obtaining weapons and/or to confiscate weapons that they already own. The NRA lobbied against denying or confiscating weapons from stalkers and 'domestic' offenders and SSA recipients that are incompetent. Trump and the Congress acted on their demands. 

Oh and BTFW, exactly WHO do you suggest should enforce gun laws if not LEOs? That's like saying the Military failed in Nam so we shouldn't deploy them anywhere else. THAT is a whole new level of idiocy. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12.3.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Dulay @12.3.5    6 years ago
Trump and the Congress acted on their demands.

All that took place before Trump.  Get your narrative straight.  The NRA fights for the right to have a weapon.  What the person with the weapon does with it has absolutly nothing to do with the NRA.  But you keep scapegoating.

Oh and BTFW, exactly WHO do you suggest should enforce gun laws if not LEOs?

AHH, you are coming around, painfully slowly, but coming around nontheless.  That is exactly my point.  The very people who failed in the Florida school shooting are the very same people that would be responsible for enforcing new legislation.  Not like very many law enforcement agencies enforce already existing laws, but you (might) see my point.

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.3.7  Dulay  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.3.6    6 years ago
All that took place before Trump. Get your narrative straight.

HJ Res. 40 was signed into law by Trump on 2/27/17. Get your history straight. 

The NRA fights for the right to have a weapon. What the person with the weapon does with it has absolutly nothing to do with the NRA. But you keep scapegoating.

The NRA fights for the right of mentally ill people to have a weapon. That is an empirical FACT. 

AHH, you are coming around, painfully slowly, but coming around nontheless.

Doubtful, but if it's slow perhaps it's because you disappear so often when challenged. 

That is exactly my point. The very people who failed in the Florida school shooting are the very same people that would be responsible for enforcing new legislation. Not like very many law enforcement agencies enforce already existing laws, but you (might) see my point.

What gun legislation did law enforcement fail to enforce in connection with the Parkland murders? Be specific. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12.3.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Dulay @12.3.7    6 years ago
The NRA fights for the right of mentally ill people to have a weapon. That is an empirical FACT.

Maybe for the petrified left.

Doubtful, but if it's slow perhaps it's because you disappear so often when challenged. 

Doubtful.  Unlike may on the left, I actually have a job and other, more important interests.  

What gun legislation did law enforcement fail to enforce in connection with the Parkland murders?

Why don't we start with the required background checks that are already on the books.

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.3.9  Dulay  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.3.8    6 years ago
Maybe for the petrified left.

No maybe, fact.

Unlike may on the left, I actually have a job and other, more important interests.  

Your comment falsely claiming that I failed to support my posits infers that you wouldn't have accepted the 'excuse' that  'I work for a living and have other interests' from me. 

Secondly, You fail to answer questions and support your posits yet you manage to post later replies to comments in the same seed. 

Why don't we start with the required background checks that are already on the books.

We could if it were relevant to this discussion, it isn't.

Are you actually making the claim that the Parkland killer bought multiple weapons over a years time without passing a background check?

You DO know that the gun shop that sold him the weapon he used is on the record right?

Seriously, do you never tire of pulling BS out of your ass? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

AngieV.Hope.4.2018     Retweeted PoliticusUSA

When an 11 year old can give a more articulate and inspiring speech than 🤔 So many of the speeches I’m hearing this morning from young Americans are truly powerful.

AngieV.Hope.4.2018     added,

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
13.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @13    6 years ago

Watching the strictly political speeches of some of the young people on FOX NEWS this morning, it appears that adult left wingers not only organized and financed this collective emotional outburst, but wrote the "heartfelt" speeches.  Sad....Digging a whole

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
13.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @13.1    6 years ago

Lol.  What’s the matter?  Skirting the CoC [ph] She was interviewed at home on the local news last night.  Sitting in her bedroom and speaking off the cuff, it is obvious that she has a bright future ahead of her - provided one of the monsters you are shielding doesn’t end up cutting we down in a school hallway first.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
13.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @13.1.1    6 years ago

What in the world do you mean that I am shielding killers, just because I can clearly see the futility of this organized "outrage", that offers no practical solutions?

You just can't keep from getting personal, can you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @13.1.1    6 years ago

So advocating for our Constitutional right is shielding criminals?

WTH???

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @13.1.2    6 years ago

Strict and complete background checks. 

No guns can be sold without a completed background check. 

Limitation on magazine size. 

Ban on AR-15 style 'assault' rifles. 

Those are the practical steps to take right now. 

None of these steps infringe on the right to own a gun to defend your person or your home. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.4    6 years ago

Now, how do you propose to do background checks on private sales of guns? And how on earth will you enforce it?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.5    6 years ago

You want to sell someone a gun, you file paperwork. If you are found to have intentionally filed false information, you go to jail. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.6    6 years ago

LOL!

Hell, man, we can't even get the JD to prosecute current felons attempting to buy guns now.

What makes you think some new law will be enforced any better?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
13.1.8  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.3    6 years ago

The NRA has fought tooth and nail against gun registration, outlawing bump stocks, and keeping access to guns for those on terrorist watch lists.  You support the NRA.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
13.1.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Greg Jones @13.1    6 years ago

No, sad is that you think that just because they are children, they can't speak with clarity and passion without assistance from an adult.  You can't see that these are kids who are sick and tired of being afraid that their schools may be next.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @13.1.8    6 years ago

So what if I support an organization dedicated to preserving our Constitutional rights?

Still haven't heard from you on how you propose to mandate and enforce background checks on private sales of guns.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @13.1.8    6 years ago

I wish that you advocated for due process of law for those on the terrorist list and the no-fly lists as you do for other things you support.

I have NO problem denying terrorists guns, but why can't that be adjudicated by a court of law?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
13.1.12  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.11    6 years ago

I wish that you advocated for due process of law for those on the terrorist list and the no-fly lists

Is that what you said to Donald Trump when he said he favors taking away guns first and asking questions later?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @13.1.12    6 years ago

Since he has no power to do so, I didn't get all excited and worked up about it like some of you.

Is due process too much to ask for?

Krishna
Professor Expert
13.1.14  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @13.1    6 years ago

on FOX NEWS this morning,

And Fox News would never lie, would they?

You actually believe them?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
13.1.15  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @13.1.14    6 years ago

It was the KIDS doing the talking, not the moderators. DUH!

If you don't watch alternate views to your own, FOX being an example, then you're not well informed. CNN and MSNBC are famous for fake news.

CB
Professor Principal
13.1.16  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.3    6 years ago

If you try to use the Constitution as a WEAPON, sooner or later, a generation will arise to detest that document and show cause for why it should be stripped of it status and thrown down. People come first!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  CB @13.1.16    6 years ago

I am sorry if defending the Constitution is construed as using it as a weapon.

If you wish to make a case for a new Constitutional amendment, that is fine. It can be changed. As long as the majority of states agrees., as outlined in the Constitution.

It isn't a weapon, it is a written document. It is the cornerstone of our democratic republic.

CB
Professor Principal
13.1.18  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.17    6 years ago

And these young kids are emblematic of what guns are doing to their generation. They are SCARED! They are yelling: 'WE CAN NOT CONTINUE LIVING AFRAID LIKE THIS AND STUDY DAY IN AND DAY OUT!" The message couldn't be any clearer: The ADULTS ARE TOO FIXATED ON A DOCUMENT TO SEE THE BLOODY GORE EXPLODING ALL AROUND THEM.

Texan, what will it take? Should the media start showing us the footage of fallen 'soldiers' aftermath strewn across the grounds and walls of class rooms? The media can change their policies you know and ask the students to send the dirty truth into their stations for airing! Take the 'rose-colored' glasses off the adults who can't see, because of a document!

School kids did not ask for this! They do not know what to do with this! Adults are supposed to protect them from this!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  CB @13.1.18    6 years ago

I like your passion, but what exactly do you propose to do besides yelling "Let's DOOOOOOOO something!!!!"?

I thought you wanted a rational debate focused on answers designed to curb or help eliminate gun violence.

My mistake.

CB
Professor Principal
13.1.20  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.19    6 years ago

The 'mistake of the century' is when we fell into the trap of blaming children because they do not want to lie down in trenches of their fellow students' blood. These kids they grew up with intimately. The 'mistake of the year' is this year's crop of kids had to grow up too swiftly, the 'mistake of the day' is conservatives showing up here to guilt-trip and dehumanize children who have seen way too much blood and guts.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  CB @13.1.20    6 years ago

I haven't done any of that.

All I have tried to do is have a civil conversation with you and hear what you propose that would be effective in reducing gun violence.

THAT isn't what you really want to talk about--ending gun violence. You're more interested in blaming some side or the other.

Go tell it to someone else, since you don't have any ideas of your own.

CB
Professor Principal
13.1.22  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.21    6 years ago

I blame everybody who has abandoned those kids, and youths, that had know other path other than to march. I can blame myself, too! Because while we were indulging in whatever it is we 'do,' these children have been sitting through years, decades, of Columbine-styled 'frontlines.' Some of them having gone through and having expectation of going through more bloody situations in school than in life! I do not have to tell anybody anything with the plain exception of the plain truth:

Whatever the heck is being done to date is UNSAT. So try something ELSE. Right now the spree killers are winning! And I repeat, conservatives are vainly and emptily  drawing "funny" pictures of their children!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  CB @13.1.22    6 years ago

Blame might make you feel better, but isn't an effective tool in trying to remedy bad situations.

Actual ideas are helpful, though.

Let me know when you get one.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
13.2  Randy  replied to  JohnRussell @13    6 years ago
When an 11 year old can give a more articulate and inspiring speech than @POTUS

She's obviously more intelligent and articulate then Trump.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
14  Jasper2529    6 years ago

I find it interesting that Emma Gonzalez prominently displayed a Cuban flag patch on her jacket while talking about constitutional rights, gun control (etc) in the USA.

180324145221-01-emma-gonzales-march-for-our-lives-washington-super-tease.jpg

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
14.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jasper2529 @14    6 years ago

Why?  Is it 1962 still?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @14.1    6 years ago

I have some sort of inkling that she may have family from Cuba.

-

voila!

Emma Gonzalez profile: What you need to know about the ...

CNN 2 hours ago

Mar 25, 2018   · She's of Cuban descent, she's 18 and she is not afraid to speak truth to power. She's of Cuban descent, ... What we know about Emma Gonzalez , ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1.1    6 years ago

I wonder if it would have offended Jasper if she was of Russian descent and had a Russian flag on her jacket?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
14.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1.2    6 years ago

Then he would say “she is strong, like bear.”

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
14.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1.1    6 years ago

She still supports the Castros

It Is ME
Masters Guide
14.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @14.1    6 years ago
Is it 1962 still?

Did leadership in Cuba change hands, and we just haven't heard yet ?

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.7  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @14.1.5    6 years ago

Doing "Damage Control"?  When PR fails humanity and seeks to be the flower atop rotting corpses. Emma Gonzales gave us her list of what she values in this. She was inside that 'war' when her friends were gunned down simply because PR people laugh, mock, and dissimulate. Don't we all wish we can have a friend like Emma G., who can raise the consciousness of the world when/should we become the "fallen."

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
15  magnoliaave    6 years ago

Guess I don't get it.  The NRA did not put the gun in the hands of the killers.  There are laws on the books that should be followed.  Law enforcement goofed up on this one.  Malcontents use guns to kill and create havoc. 

Who will these young people  blame the next time one of their own flips out?  Even though I commend them, it is not the answer.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  magnoliaave @15    6 years ago

Why do you object to regulating gun ownership in reasonable ways? 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
15.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1    6 years ago

I don't.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @15.1.2    6 years ago

Strict and complete background checks. 

No guns can be sold without a completed background check. 

Limitation on magazine size. 

Ban on AR-15 style 'assault' rifles. 

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
15.1.8  Uncle Bruce  replied to  XDm9mm @15.1.7    6 years ago

I believe it's the second option.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1    6 years ago
Why do you object to regulating gun ownership in reasonable ways?

What about her point? This was preventable...The FBI and local police let us down. Neither you nor the sheep in the march want to mention that.

CB
Professor Principal
15.1.12  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.11    6 years ago

EVERYBODY let them down, including the NRA. The Second Amendment is a weapon used by the NRA as a document cash-cow. You want every other amendment to develop a sub-sect of 'followers'? Become cultish/slavish followers of specific statues in the document? Vote (fig. shoot) down anyone who dares to come near or gaze askance at all the sacred cows?!

Moreover, with your attitude, you are setting up to let more children down. There is no 'Escape Hatch' here for any of US! That kids have to plead for US not to be tone-deaf to their cries, pleads, and. . . marches, is a sad day for US!

Don't miss the moment. Your kids staged a PROTEST RALLY! YOUR BABIES JUST REBUKED ALL OUR OLD 'CHEEKS'! It seems everybody is marching these days! Why, because the so-called "grown-ups" have become self-indulgent and few understand how to hear anymore!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
16  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Real inspiring to see marchers calling for the shooting of Barron Trump.

America is in great hands if psychopaths like David Hogg are the future. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
16.1  magnoliaave  replied to  Sean Treacy @16    6 years ago

Are they really?

I didn't see that.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  magnoliaave @16.1    6 years ago

You’d probably have to frequent to the sites that get their news from Russian troll farms.  Sean could clear this up and provide a source though.

Krishna
Professor Expert
16.2  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @16    6 years ago

Wow-- powerful stuff! I'd like to see the whole clip, and if its clear send it to some friends. Please post a link!Thanks :-)

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
16.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Sean Treacy @16    6 years ago

I can't find anything that would even vaguely suggest this.  Please post your source.  If it is valid, then it is an issue that needs to be addressed quickly.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
17  Uncle Bruce    6 years ago

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
18  Uncle Bruce    6 years ago

29511474_1607224372688025_7863998139228877725_n.jpg

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
19  Uncle Bruce    6 years ago

29541668_2091971447691735_7703816326556322917_n.jpg

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
20  Uncle Bruce    6 years ago

29512498_1552948098145558_8290441361590500714_n.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
21  Kavika     6 years ago

It's hilarious to see how a bunch of kids have the snowflake RW'ers pants in a wad...LOL, wrap themselves in a flag and declare what patriots they are all the will pissing their pants because a group of high school kids are exercising their 1st amendment rights.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
21.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @21    6 years ago

The gun lovers have been "triggered" , lol. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
21.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @21    6 years ago

Starting historically with Jesus, adding Lincoln, MLK, both Kennedy's and others, WHEN HATERS AND THE POWER BROKERS WHO PANDER TO THEM are confronted by those with the courage to speak truth to power … A HATER DENIGRATES, LIES ABOUT, and SOMETIMES MURDERS the TRUTH-TELLER!

CB
Professor Principal
22  CB    6 years ago
But these kids (16, 17, 18 year olds) , for whatever reason, can't stand it anymore.

This is the group of kids ("the field, the crop") that was planted as early as Columbine and as late as Sandy Hook! So when the BS crossed their threshold they "harvested" themselves. 

Krishna, well said! Emphatically. We can past the mantle to the "new kids" now! We can rest up a bit. It is striking to watch just how old some of the old/elder 'stalwarts' look on television these days. It is as if they are appearing on air without makeup; with 'fresh faces' that show the lines, the trials, the years of struggle. Could it be because of these new "line-less" energetic youthful adults?