╌>

A new epithet emerges for Parkland teens calling for more gun control: Nazis

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  6 years ago  •  73 comments

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-new-epithet-emerges-for-parkland-teens-calling-for-more-gun-control-nazis/ar-BBKNycy?li=BBnb7Kz

For weeks, the Florida teenagers who became activists after the Parkland school shooting have been subjected to harsh treatment by many of those critical of their calls for more gun control.

First, many of the activists were smeared falsely as “crisis actors” by conspiracy theorists and hoaxers on the Internet in the immediate wake of the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. They continue to be lightning rods for some conservative media and politicians, despite  some indications that they enjoy wide support  nationally. Now, they are being likened to Nazis.

Memes comparing the Parkland students to Nazis have circulated at the fringes for days, but on Tuesday, they seemed to find a wider audience.

Alex Jones, the conservative host of Infowars known for spreading baseless conspiracy theories, depicted two of the most prominent students, Emma González and David Hogg, in a jarring video that spliced images and videos of them into what appeared to be Nazi footage .

González and other, unnamed, protesters from Saturday’s March for Our Lives, were edited into footage showing young people making Hitler salutes in Nazi Germany.

Jones’s staff also played a Hitler speech over video of Hogg speaking at the march. Jones said the images were meant to communicate the “truly frightening historical iconography that you cannot deny in these parallels of this youth march.”

“Authoritarianism is always about youth marches,” he said.

Mary Franson, a Republican state representative in Minnesota, also appeared to link the student activists with the Hitler Youth, in Facebook posts on Saturday that drew wide condemnation, according to local media reports .

After hundreds of thousands of people had marched in cities around the country, she shared posts critical of the students and their views on gun control that night, including one that quoted another person calling Hogg “Supreme Leader Hogg,”  reports said . Then she shared a Hitler quote about how the views of youth in the Nazi movement were formed.

The post was widely seen as a not-so-subtle commentary on the Parkland students. Franson later deleted the post and released a statement saying that she had not intended for the Hitler Youth post to be related to the others.

“I did not intend for one Facebook post about those who are pushing for gun control to be connected to another, separate post I shared from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum about ‘Indoctrinating Youth’,” she said in an emailed statement. “I’ve deleted the post to clear up any confusion.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

And yet, the alt-righties gets their panties in a wad if they are called "deplorable" even when they act deplorably...

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

The low life scum, Alex Jones followers, are really just a waste of oxygen. 

I'm sure that the Koch Sucker Jones, doesn't have the backbone to confront a parent from Sandy Hook or Parkland with their lies. 

Deplorabe is a step up for this scum.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago
The low life scum, Alex Jones followers, are really just a waste of oxygen.

You are correct. Jones is scum but he is acting. His followers, the conspiracy nutters, they are the real problem.

They must have fill in the blank conspiracies ready to spread in the event of any tragedy. That bunch is nutters.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    6 years ago

Nazi is a term that gets bandied about too frequently of late. I would recommend viewing the old World at War series or a like production, after seeing how Nazis truly behaved one may be tempted to find another moniker.

Or if one finds that a bit too taxing try Schindler's List and it will give you the general idea.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  luther28 @5    6 years ago

Efforts to delegitimatize Parkland survivors who spoke out began while gunpowder was still in the air...

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5.1.1  luther28  replied to  JBB @5.1    6 years ago

I know, you just have to ignore the ignorant leastwise you'll be driven crazy by it.

But again if you're going to refer to someone as a Nazi, they had better have 20 million or so deaths on their hands. Doesn't matter to me which faction uses it.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  luther28 @5.1.1    6 years ago

Nazis past, present and future have 20 million souls on their conscience. Parkland survivors being called Nazis is deplorable...

When real live Nazis march in the streets it is fair to call them Nazis. The alt-right seems to support of the modern day Nazis.

The word Nazi isn't a problem. The problem is a concerted effort by the alt-right to demonize kids who advocate gun control.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  luther28 @5    6 years ago

I recommend watching Seinfeld, No soup for you. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5.3.1  luther28  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.3    6 years ago

Thank you for the grin, Dean. I'll have the minestrone.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

Is "Nazi" The New N-Word?

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
6.2  Jonathan P  replied to  JBB @6    6 years ago

No, it's a concept all unto itself. Just as disgusting as any other term in that genre.

IMO, I think they got the idea for this because Emma shaved her head. Perhaps they associate that with "skinhead".

Stupid and foul, no matter how you parse it.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

When you post pictures like this, and tell people to wear armbands in this fashion, I think you can expect to be labeled a Nazi:

Image result for David Hogg nazi outfit

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Views from afar:

I've seen countries heading for trouble because of a widening income gap.

I've seen countries heading for trouble because of an increasing difference in rejecting/welcoming immigration.

I see the USA heading for trouble because of an insanely increasing polarization heading in both directions of left and right.  Wars have started for less cause.  God help you all.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
9  Randy    6 years ago

I know it's a bit off topic and I ask for forgiveness from JBB for this, but I can not possibly be the only person who looks at a picture like the one above and like many photos and videos of Donald Trump speaking, especially at rallies and are struck by his haunting resemblance to Benito Mussolini. At first it was more subtle, but in the last year or so it has become much, much more pronounced at his rallies and speeches. The looking down his nose, the way he holds his head. The way he nods and shakes with his head back and forth after saying something he thinks is profound. The crossing of his arms. The gestures. If you watch old movies of Mussolini, it will scare you.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Randy @9    6 years ago
That is why the orangutan tinged King of Vulgaria is oft called The Cheeto Benito...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
9.1.1  Randy  replied to  JBB @9.1    6 years ago

I am glad to know my wife and I are not the only ones to notice. It is amazing to watch videos of Mussolini and then Trump and it's like they are twins! Fascism again or just bad theater?

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Randy @9.1.1    6 years ago

Real live modern day fascists (Neo-Nazis) march in tiki-torch lit alt-right parades but have the gall to call Parkland survivors Nazis. Apparently there is no low too low for the alt-righties to go when it comes to slandering even children who stand against them. Under the abusive and tyrannical rule of Donald J. Trump and Company the far right wingers seems to feel authorized to be as low down deplorable and nasty as the want to be which is wretched. Fortunately People are paying attention and the gop's day of reckoning is fast approaching on Tuesday November 6th 2018...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
9.1.3  Randy  replied to  JBB @9.1.2    6 years ago

I struggle with Trump's reaction to the Tiki torch March reaction. I am not as sure that he agreed with it, as much as I wonder if he was just plain too fucking stupid to understand what it and "Blood and soil" really meant? I mean the man really is a moron after all. Of course his true feelings were revealed when he said that there were good people marching on the Nazi side too. Personally I think he said that because so many of the Nazis were wearing nice slacks and polo shirts with their Nazi arm bands so he figured that if they were dressed nice, as in not in a Nazi uniform, then they can't be all bad. Remember we are dealing with a person of a very low grade IQ.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  Randy @9.1.3    6 years ago

It's not just the nice slacks Trump finds appealing, it's the fact that these neo-Nazis share his racist views and support him.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
9.1.5  Randy  replied to  Skrekk @9.1.4    6 years ago

True. He prefers his Nazis clean cut and well dressed, but just as racist and hateful of anyone not a WASP.