Best Memory - Strongest Value

By:  enoch  •  6 months ago  •  54 comments

Best Memory - Strongest Value

When I meet the night prior to performing a funeral I ask a pair of questions to those who survived the deceased.

First, what is the best (nicest) memory you have of the departed?

Next, that was the strongest (most important) value(s) they reflected in their life?

When a eulogy (remembrance) speech is given, it should celebrate a life well lived. 

We should carry on the best of those who preceded us.

We do this by being in the lives of those around us what the departed was to us.

We ought to carry on the good works, resting on sound values of those before us.

In that fashion, we best honor and extend their legacy of warmth, humanity, caring and virtue.

The world gets better one caring and good deed at a time.

Please share the best memory and strongest value(s) of someone near and dear to you who has transited to the next level of this great chain of being.

In the golden chain of tradition, each of us needs to forge the best link we can to this chain.

The chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Let's learn from one another and from those before us so that we may strengthen and lengthen the golden chain of humanity for the better.

Red Box Rules, TOS, CoC and the Four B's Obtain and will be enforced.

Be Positive.

Be On-Point.

Be Respectful.

or Be Gone!

We want to work together for improvement of our human family situation.

We look forward to your contribution to this effort on this topic.

Peace and Abundant Blessings To One and All.

Enoch.  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Enoch
1  Enoch    6 months ago

What is the best (nicest memory) and strongest value(s) of someone close to you who walked on?

How can that console you?

In what way can you use this to carry on their legacy, and improve things for the human family as you live out your days?

We look forward to learning form you on this matter.

Red Box Rules. CoC, TOS and the Four B's will be used.

Be On-Point

Be Respectful.

Be Positive.

or Be Gone!

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

Trout Giggles
2  Trout Giggles    6 months ago

I gave the eulogy at my dad's memorial. The most valuable lesson he ever taught me was to remain humble. The best memory I have of him is the day I graduated college and he told me "Oh, great. Another college educated idiot loose on the streets." That ties in with him teaching me to stay humble.

I miss my father.

Enoch
2.1  Enoch  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 months ago

Dear Friend Trout Giggles: Take comfort in his memory and values.

The virtue of humility is well established in many traditions and heritages, religious, spiritual and/or humanitarian.

In mine think of Micah 6:8.

"--- What does G-d demand of you but to do justice, love loving kindness and walk humbly with your G-d".

The idea of Imitatio Dei , to imitate the positive Divine attributes means we should as with the Almighty, as well with ourselves, other people; and all else in our world do justly, do acts of loving kindness, and be humble.

Great post.

Your dear Father would most justify be proud of you.

As all of us are as well.

Enoch.  

Trout Giggles
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Enoch @2.1    6 months ago

Thank-you, Enoch. That is very comforting

Enoch
2.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    6 months ago

Dear Friend Trout Giggles: You are most welcome.

Most particularly you.

Thanks for being all you are here and throughout life.

Enoch.

Spikegary
2.2  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 months ago

I also was selected to give my father's eulogy.  I was able to bring good memories and fun stories to the people there, but what i remember most is my dad's devotion to his family, something we often took for granted.  And something that I have tried to be better at since. 

In my mind, I can still see my dad sititng up on the back of the seat in the boat water-skiing us boys-he would do this without a life vest-and he couldn't swim.  He was 'heavy-boned' and would sink.  When we would bug him about wearing a vest, he'd say, I'll just wait til I hit the bottom and then run like hell.

Trout Giggles
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @2.2    6 months ago
I'll just wait til I hit the bottom and then run like hell

That's funny. Good memories of your dad

Enoch
2.2.2  Enoch  replied to  Spikegary @2.2    6 months ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: What an exemplary memory and display of value for your dear Father.

He put himself at risk for his family.

He did so with humor and good spirits.

Being the close friends we are, I can observe that in your case the apple never fell far from the tree.

Super addition to this discussion.

It is snowing here today, but will not stick.

Around 04/26 expect an email or phone call from me for our first culinary conquest of the season. 

Please see my post to you about Chicken Atrocious in your article about Chick-Fil-A.

Enoch, Savings the Bones for Santaria Enthusiasts. 

Enoch
2.2.3  Enoch  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    6 months ago

Dear Friend Trout Giggles: Agreed on both counts.

Good post.

Thanks.

Enoch.

Spikegary
2.2.4  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch @2.2.2    6 months ago

Thank you, dear friend.  You make me blush.  I will actually be home that weekend and my lady friend is going to be here too.  Would be great for all of us to get together.  Was snowing yesterday when I left work.  All my toys are in the garage, next to each other, none of them useable in current conditions.

Enoch
2.2.5  Enoch  replied to  Spikegary @2.2.4    6 months ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: Looking good for a Middleport dinner foursome the weekend of 04/28-28. 

I will call or email before then.

The only toys in our garages suitable for use just yet this spring are skis, snowboarders, and muckaluks.

Ah, springtime in Ptomania.

It does a furnace good.

Smiles.

E.

JBB
3  JBB    6 months ago

I met Salvador Dali late in his life while traveling with his Melted Clock Exhibit. Time is relative...

I have many great memories but one favorite is sitting in Grandmother's lap reading fairy tales.

She had ancient volumes of Grimm's Fairy Tales and Aesop's Fables. I still remember them all...

Enoch
3.1  Enoch  replied to  JBB @3    6 months ago

Dear Friend JBB: Meeting Dali must have been a wonderful experience.

Time with grandparents remains and radiates with us all our days.

I was particularly close to both my grandmothers.

As a parent and grandparent most of what I did right was simply reflecting my own experiences and doing a 2.0 etc release. 

A good story goes a long way in life.

Story telling entertains and communicates values that last a lifetime.

Super post my good friend.

We are indebted.

Enoch.

JBB
3.1.1  JBB  replied to  Enoch @3.1    6 months ago

My favorite fable was of The Emperor and The Nightingale. If you love something set it free...

When in university my grandmothers drove 700 miles round trip to bring me two BD cakes.

I was just musing about how we used to could talk about our elementary schools, the street we grew up on, our first cars and our first pets and best friend growing up without revealing personal information threatening our financial and personal security. Please enjoy this blessed day and thank you for helping me to remain mindful and thankful of if for this is another day of hope and promise providence gives us. For this I am thankful. Spring is finally here and so D-Dawg and I are going for a nice walk in the park. He is old, blind and diabetic but he can still chase his squeaky ball like a pro. I don't know if it is all these memories or what but I am sentimental today. Oh well, that is okay. "Memories light the corners of my mind. Misty water covered memories of the way we were"...

Enoch
3.1.2  Enoch  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    6 months ago

Dear Friend JBB: One of my favorite fables was that of Yiddish playwright Sholom Aleichem's "Boncha Shvweig".

In it the foundations of the heavens quake with the arrival from his departure of earthly existence of the poor man Boncha Schveig.

Schveig (silent in Yiddish) lead a Job like life. 

Nothing went well for him.

He was tried over and over again.

Never a single word of complaint to his Creator.

He just went about his business.

Scratching out a meager living.

Giving what little was left over from sustaining himself to charity.

Using all his human talents and energy to be there for others as a volunteer.

When he arrives Elijah the Prophet greeting him at the gates of the righteous (Shaare Tzeddek). 

Come in come in, pleased Elijah.

You are who we have awaited.

For all eternity, you can have anything you want.

Here it will be different for you.

In almost a whisper, the undernourished Schveig, in his tattered and torn old clothes inquired this. 

Please Mr. Elijah, if it is not too much trouble, please may I have every third or fourth day a hot roll with fresh butter?

All my life, whenever things got  me down, I recall the modesty of Boncha Schveig.

I try to live de minimus, and use what little I need for the good of others.

I leave the kvetchhing, (complaining) to others with more experience and talent at it.

Better silence to challenges, good deeds and modest needs for others and to self.

You are on fire today.

Keep burning brightly the flames of your wisdom.

This is precisely what our News Talkers community needs.

Intelligence, ethics and wisdom.

We are most profoundly in your debt.

Enoch.

JBB
4  JBB    6 months ago

My first dog that I can't name for security reasons. I miss her every day though gone over fifty years...

Enoch
4.1  Enoch  replied to  JBB @4    6 months ago

Dear Friend JBB: We never forget the firsts in our loves.

First pet is certainly a major one.

We raised chickens for eggs and meat growing up.

I used to name them.

Goldie, the most yellow of the flock seemed to take a shine to me.

You are on fire today.

Tow for two.

Fantastic.

Thank you so much.

Enoch.

magnoliaave
5  magnoliaave    6 months ago

With my family not with me anymore they all left me with something tucked away to remember and draw from  each day.

Enoch
5.1  Enoch  replied to  magnoliaave @5    6 months ago

Dear Friend Magnoliaave: The well of memory and inspiration is something we all can and do draw from daily.

I am sure yours will draw form all your good deeds and values, even as you draw and drew from those before you.

Great post.

Thank you.

You are most welcome here in my discussion threads always.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours.

Enoch.

magnoliaave
5.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  Enoch @5.1    6 months ago

Thank you, dear man.

Enoch
5.1.2  Enoch  replied to  magnoliaave @5.1.1    6 months ago

Dear Freind Magnoliaave: You are most welcome.

Very welcome indeed.

Enoch.

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
6  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη    6 months ago

Many years ago when my father was still alive I went to visit him in Toronto. He was CEO of the company he worked for and lived a few blocks from one of the stores which also contained the corporate offices. I walked to work with him one morning and it was very cold. He told me they offer to send him a car or provide a parking space for him with his name on it but he declined. As we entered the business he spoke with the doorman for a few minutes and then proceeded to talk to employees in every department finally making it to his office 45 minutes later.

He told me when he started the doorman had a drinking problem and he could smell it on his breath but that the company had sent him to treatment and he was now sober, and then he told me about all the employees we had stopped to talk to. He then told me that you cannot run a business without people and if you don't know the people you cannot manage them.

When he passed away 2000 people showed up for his memorial. I was blown away, I suspect he had made a positive impact in a few lives there

Enoch
6.1  Enoch  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @6    6 months ago

Dear Friend Badfish: Your father was indeed a man of great wisdom and caring.

He would be most proud to see you carry on his legacy in your own interpersonal dealings.

Good show!

The most important asset in any company are its people.

So it is with any community.

One religious school in which I taught the head Rabbi would be in the hallways before, in between classes and after school.

He knew every student, even their middle names.

He would ask how things were going, what if anything he could do or have done to further their pursuits in and out of school.

Everyone felt better after he spoke with them.

There were very few discipline problems in that institution of learning.

Funny how that works.

Leadership enables and elevates at its best.

Thanks for a superlative contribution dear friend.

Enoch.

luther28
7  luther28    6 months ago

First, what is the best (nicest) memory you have of the departed?

My Mother and Father, that I was fortunate enough to have been their Son.

As always, thank you Enoch

Enoch
7.1  Enoch  replied to  luther28 @7    6 months ago

Dear Friend Luther: What a beautiful depiction of their legacy you just presented.

How truly proud they would be to hear that statement!

Outstanding in every way that it can be.

This is the kind of post that makes the News Talkers fulfill its highest potential.

We are most inspired by it.

Many thanks.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours Always.

Enoch.

KatPen
8  KatPen    6 months ago

The lessons I remember the most were taught to me by my Mom.  Always love people, no matter what their skin color, religion, culture, etc.  Always show kindness and compassion.  And help people whenever you can, no matter how small the kind gesture.  

Thank you as always, Dear Brother, Friend, and Teacher.  

Enoch
8.1  Enoch  replied to  KatPen @8    6 months ago

Dear Friend and Sister in Humanity Katpen: The wisdom of your Mother is embodied in how you live your life.

Good on you both.

Two quotations come to mind on this topic.

Both are from the book Pirke Avoth (Sayings of the Fathers).

The first is, "On three pillars does the world rest. On Divine Law, Worship and Acts of Loving Kindness". 

The loving kindness in acts concretely expresses the universality of love on fellow members of the human family.

The other is, "He (G-d) delights in those who delight in the spirit of their fellow creatures".

Once more, what G-d seeks for us to do is to look for the best in all of us, and key in on that.

Precisely the same message in different words as your sagacious Mother.    

Marvelous contribution Katpen.

We are indeed the better off for knowing of it.

Thanks.

Enoch.

KatPen
8.1.1  KatPen  replied to  Enoch @8.1    6 months ago

Thank you as always, Enoch, for your kind and wise words.    Blessings to you and Mrs. E

Enoch
8.1.2  Enoch  replied to  KatPen @8.1.1    6 months ago

Dear Friend and Sister Katpen: As to you and yours.

Notzer Chesid Le Alaphim.

May you and yours experience loving kindness unto your thousandth generation.

Enoch.

Buzz of the Orient
9  Buzz of the Orient    6 months ago

I have only officiated at one funeral in my life - it was for a folksinger friend who smoked too much and succumbed to lung cancer. My eulogy made considerable reference to the words of John Donne in his Meditation XVII. The gist of what he said is that we all die a little when someone we know had died, because we are all connected, but then I went on to say that the deceased will continue to live on in our memories, because our brain stores everything our senses experience.

Enoch
9.1  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    6 months ago

Dear Friend Buzz: John Dunne and all great "Belles Letters" from the humanities certainly prove themselves where meaning in life is the point.

We do in fact lost a bit of ourselves when those we love depart us.

They are never truly dead until those whose lives they touched are no longer vital.

We are their living legacy, as so many here have amply demonstrated.

What memory have you of him and his values? 

How did and does his life and how he lived it affect you and how you live yours?

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours Buzz.

Enoch.

Kavika
11  Kavika     6 months ago

In the fall of 1945 I was playing outside with my dog, Sugar...I looked up and saw a man walking down the dirt road in uniform, carrying a duffle bag over his shoulder...I knew who it was instantly, it was my dad coming home for the ''war''...I don't ever remember of seeing him before. (mom said I saw him live when I was 2 years old. I was 5 years old now.)

Sugar and me ran toward him as fast as we could. He caught me and tossed me up in the air and Sugar was running in circles and barking his head off. I remember hollering, dad, dad, dad. 

Enoch
11.1  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @11    6 months ago

Dear Brother Kavika: In that moment of connection the finest of your Father, your pet and you all came to the fore.

It says it all.

Family is what life is mostly about.

Blood is thicker than water.

Yet somehow thinner than the dark roast at Jays Diner.

In Native American cultures, how is the memory and the values of those who walk on commemorated?

Enoch.

Kavika
11.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @11.1    6 months ago

In the Ojibwe culture on the grave he built a ''spirt house''...A small wooden structure and inside we place items that were important to him. We can add items to this. 

Image result for photos of a spirit house of the ojibwe on a grave

Enoch
11.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @11.1.1    6 months ago

Dear Friend Kavika: A great way to concretely preserve the legacy of lives well lived.

Thanks for an illuminating and fascinating uplifting post.

Enoch.

lib50
12  lib50    6 months ago

I felt compelled to eulogize my daughter, I don't normally like speaking in public, but I needed to say those things to honor her.  Since she's been gone, almost 12 years, I've tried to find my way to continue to honor her.  I don't do public things like scholarships and such, so many can do it better than I ever could.  But I do reach out to marginalized people who enter my orbit and try to offer support however I can.  Sometimes people just need to know someone cares, sometimes they need backup, sometimes encouragement, sometimes time.  I used to think it wasn't very much, but as time goes on I do think these ripples are bigger than I thought.   Its funny because most people here wouldn't recognize me.  I swear a lot, I'm prone to passionate outbursts and can be harsh, but sometimes its necessary.  I'm still trying to balance that part of myself.  But I recognize your wisdom and just reading your words brings me a little closer to where I need to be, so thank you.  You are a blessing to this world for sure.

Enoch
12.1  Enoch  replied to  lib50 @12    6 months ago

Dear Friend Lib50: As are you.

By being in the lives of others as your dear daughter was in the lives of all she touched you honor and extend her legacy. 

In your case, you do it for those you do not even know well.

This is a monumental accomp0lishement.

You are a super role model for us all.

I totally agree that small gestures, some times even just being there means more to people that one can imagine. 

A kind word. A smile. Even just a human presence matters.

In my youth I used to take the bus to my drum lessons.

On one trip, a younger boy was in a bus seat. He was silently crying.

Somehow his older sibling left him on the bus.

Sitting next to him, I calmed him down.

I stayed with him until we could get to my drum teacher's home.

We went in to Mr. G's house together.

Mrs. G. called his Mother.

He got home safely.

Decades later when I was Senior Rabbi at a large Congregation a gentleman came up to me after Services at the Oneg Shabbat (A sisterhood and Men's Club sponsored after services eat, meet and greet in the fellowship hall). 

He reminded me of who he was.

He said he never forgot how someone younger than his sibling, but older than him was the only one on the bus who took the time to be with him and get him home safely.

Small steps yield large strides.

They survive time.

What you do for others is what your daughter would have and did in her time.

There is no more fitting legacy than the creation of human monuments through acts of loving kindness.

You do well by doing good.

Bravissimo!

Enoch.  

lib50
12.1.1  lib50  replied to  Enoch @12.1    5 months ago

Thank you for always speaking to our higher selves, Enoch. 

Enoch
12.1.2  Enoch  replied to  lib50 @12.1.1    5 months ago

Dear Friend Lib50: No stopping us now.

Winks.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
13  Raven Wing    6 months ago

My only Son walked on in Oct 1998, just 15 days before my Birthday that year. He had been diagnosed with terminal metastatic sarcoma, or, cancerous tumors that spread through the blood to other parts of the body. At this point, this form of cancer is not curable, and usually progresses very rapidly, and usually causes a very shot life period.

When I first found out that my young Son was destined to die at a very early age, I was devastated, but, in order to help him cope with the finality of his own life, I had to hide my own pain of knowing there was nothing I, or anyone else, could do to stop the certainty of his pending death. This was one thing in both our lives, knowing I could not kiss the Boo Boo and make it better, that made me appreciate the time we have with one another, as tomorrow may never come for some of us sooner than we think. 

And there was also my Mother and Father, who truly adored my Son and were being consume by their grief. I had to remain strong for them all. 

On the night he walked on my heart and life were both shattered, yet, I could not give in to my own grief and suffering in order to deal with had to be done, and help my parents try to cope with our loss.

The fact is, I never had the chance to grieve, it remains locked deep in my heart, as I know that my Son would not want me to grieve. I am eternally grateful that he is in a better place and once again with my adoring parents, and many of his beloved pets. 

I do not dwell on the sadness of his walking on, which he met head on and dealt with as the brave Cherokee Warrior he was. He never complained, and never once asked, "Why me?". He accepted his destiny and has now moved on to the next steps of his own eternal journey.

One thing I learned from the ordeal, is just how strong I really am. And I am forever grateful that the Creator gave me the strength to see me through that time, and accept what I cannot change. It taught me a very important lesson.....that we do not have control of our own destiny, and we should not allow our own suffering determine who we are:

There is an old Native American saying:

069fb9c495237ea13e07fae0845be216.jpg

Enoch
14  Enoch    6 months ago

Dear Sister, Treasured Writing Partner, Friend and Inspiring Source of Courage in the Face of Adversity Raven Wing: The legacy of the noble and fearless acceptance of things one cannot change, while maintaining the dignity and valor shown by your late son and parents lives on in you.

Part of who your son was, as part of who you are from you and the people who raised you.

They all live on through you.

You are the best of all possible lives to keep going their values and memories of the good times had together, the closeness and mutual support when things got very tough endures and survives.

It does so through you.

My private email is the place for us to work though the grieving in confidence you never had the chance to have.

This is for fullest possible healing.      

You were strong all this time in situations which would have crushed a lesser person.

Now is the time to let go.

To let the replenishment of spirit and the peace of the knowing there are people here in this level of existence who need and love you. 

Among them the community of the caring here at the News Talkers.

Peace, Abundant Blessings and a Re-Invigorated Soul Now That You Have the Time to Tend to, and Let Those Closest to You Tend to Your Valid and Necessary Needs.

Enoch. 

Raven Wing
14.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @14    6 months ago

Thank you dear Friend and Mentor Enoch, for your very kind and compassionate words. They are both truly comforting and Spiritually uplifting. I have moved on past the grieving and accepted that which as meant to be. I must now focus what time I have left on this earth to those who need me most in order to try to help them become the best they can be in their own life. 

While my own life history cannot be denied, nor do I wish to do so, it does not dominate my life. I do not dwell on what I no longer have, but, what Blessings I have had in my life that has brought me such love and happiness. That is what fills my life. I do not spend time looking back at what was, but, look forward to what may yet come, and do my best to accept whatever the Creator has yet planned for me on this earth, before moving on to the next steps of my own eternal journey.

Your many words of compassion and wisdom are truly an endless source of inspiration and Spiritual enlightenment that brings me great joy. I could not wish for more. (smile)

Enoch
14.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @14.1    5 months ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: So much love, compassion, caring, nurturing, wisdom, and smiles.

So much from such a wonderful person.

It is truly and honor to call you my friend.

Thank you.

Enoch.

Kathleen/Butterfie
15  Kathleen/Butterfie    6 months ago

Thank you for this article Enoch, I really miss my dad. I will never forget my mom coming home from the hospital and said my dad has cancer. I was 16 at the time, he had melonoma. I was devastated. He never saw me graduate, he did not walk me down the aisle, and he did not see his grandchild. There is one thing I do know though.... I have told my daughter all about him, when she does meet him, she will say to him that she felt like she knew him all her life.

Enoch
15.1  Enoch  replied to  Kathleen/Butterfie @15    6 months ago

Dear Friend Kathleen/Butterfie: You handled that situation perfectly!

He lives on in your and her memory.

While there are many things your Father did not live to see and be part of, he was blessed to be there for and with you in your initial sixteen years.

That gave him a full rich life indeed.

Enoch.  

Kathleen/Butterfie
15.1.1  Kathleen/Butterfie  replied to  Enoch @15.1    5 months ago

Thank you dear Enoch.....

Enoch
15.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Kathleen/Butterfie @15.1.1    5 months ago

Dear Friend Kathleen Butterfie: You are most.

Most welcome.

We always enjoy and profit from your participation here.

We are grateful.

Thank you.

Enoch.

JohnRussell
16  JohnRussell    5 months ago

I have given eulogy remarks at funerals a few times. When I think about what to say about the person, it always seem to come down to the same things - the love and dedication they had for their families and the loyalty they had to their friends. 

JBB
16.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @16    5 months ago

A good eulogy should contain at least one good natured laugh at the expense of the guest of honor. More is better...

Enoch
16.1.1  Enoch  replied to  JBB @16.1    5 months ago

Dear Friend JBB: You raise an important point.

To celebrate a life well lives, the serious, as well as the humorous of their acts and memories needs to be recognized appreciated.

Great contribution JBB.

We are indebted. Thanks.

Enoch.  

Enoch
16.2  Enoch  replied to  JohnRussell @16    5 months ago

Dear Friend and Treasured Writing Partner John Russell: Bless you for the support and comfort you give to those who mourn.

Perhaps the greatest help you can give to those departed from this life is to do for them what they no longer do for themselves.

They still need to be mourned.

To have their life celebrated.

Similarly, those who survive them may not be in a position, emotionally to honor their legacy at the time of losing them.

This is where people like you who knew the departed, and are close to those mourning them come in.

John, you are a good man doing good and necessary things well.

On behalf of those who no longer can express their gratitude, and those whose emotions are too raw that they do not I say thank you and well done! 

Enoch.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
17  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 months ago

It's been slightly over a year since my mother in law passed away. It was very hard for me to write about my feelings about her, until I remembered her with my daughters. 

My girls were the only grandchildren she had from her 3 children, and they meant the world to her. Every milestone they made, every joyous occasion, she would have joy over. She was so proud of everything they did well, and understanding of their shortcomings. She was a blessing to them. She was so hoping to see Cat graduate from college. I know she hung on till Cat came home from school and came to visit her. She smiled as Cat told her what she was doing at school, and gave her a soft squeeze of the hand when she said goodbye. She passed 5 minutes later. I am convinced she hung in just to see Cat one last time.

When she passed, I talked about those things. She was a lovely mother in law, but a wonderful grandmother. That is how I remember her. 

Enoch
17.1  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @17    5 months ago

Dear Friend Perrie Halperin: "Le Dor Veh Dor".

"From generation to generation".

We keep alive the memories of the best of times.

We retain the vitality of what others meant to us, and what we meant to them.

We imbue and reflect the values and good deeds of those who came before us by in our own way doing the same for those we can be there for who will be here after us. 

From generation to generation we keep going the good, and build on it.

What your mother in law was to you and yours, and what you and yours were to her is an outstanding example of le dor veh dor.

How meaningful it would be to your dear mother in law to know how much she means to you and yours. Even as she knew in her time how much all of you meant to her. 

Each generation is its own source of giving and receiving blessings from generations before during and after their time. Each in their own days.

Exemplary contribution Perrie.

It was hard for you to share this.  

It is important for all who come here to know it.

To relate to it.

To learn and profit from it.

To use it.

We are grateful indeed.

Thank you.

Peace and Abundant Blessings, Laced with Good and Consoling Memories.

Enoch.

Enoch
18  Enoch    5 months ago

Credit earned is credit due. 

Appreciation to conveyed to everyone who participated in this discussion.

The level of maturity and fellowship displayed is exemplary.

Thank you.

Enoch.